Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Back To The Start ❯ Say, Who Is Kaoru-dono? ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Back To The Start
 
Chapter 2: Say Who Is Kaoru-dono?
 
"Welcome home, Kenshin!" a sweet feminine voice replied, calling back happily.
 
"Hey, Kenshin!" Yahiko yelled to Kenshin as well.
 
Kaoru out of the house wearing her royal blue and gentle violet kimono, with a dark blue ribbon holding her raven black hair in a high ponytail. As, she stepped out of the house, Kenshin's eyes lit up happily with a soft, loving light, that Kana had never seen in his eyes before. Kana got a little jealous when she saw the attention Kaoru got from Kenshin.
 
“Oh! I'm sorry; I didn't realize we had a guest. Kenshin?” Kaoru asked Kenshin, her eyes sparkling.
 
Kana's head was spinning, `could this mean, my beloved rurouni/hitokiri is…MARRIED?! Oh, thank god I had the sense to look at her left ring finger. So, the two only live together? But, that makes even less sense than my first thought! Oh, wait he is a rurouni, maybe he has decided to stay with this Kaoru-dono person for the time being…but then why do they seem so close? It feels like they know each other very well.' (These are Kana's thoughts happening roughly over the course of ten seconds.)
 
“Kaoru-dono, this is Komichi Kana-dono.” Kenshin replied, answering Kaoru's question while looking at her lovingly.
 
“Kana-kun, it's nice to meet you. Kenshin where did you find her? I hope you weren't gambling with Sano again. Don't forget that time with Megumi-dono.” Kaoru asked Kenshin, her eyes twinkling with playful mischief.
 
“No, no dearest, this one was just getting groceries like you asked, a man was trying to hurt her.” Kenshin told Kaoru reassuringly.
 
“Oh, Kana-kun, are you alright? He didn't do anything did he?” Kaoru asked, her eyebrows drawing together worriedly.
 
“Oh, I'm fine, don't worry, uh, um, yeah.” Kana assured her, but realized she didn't know what to call her.
 
“Oh! My name!” Kaoru laughed, “That was rude of me. My name is Kaoru, Kamiya Kaoru.” Kaoru told her apologetically.
 
“It's a pleasure to meet you Kaoru-san.” Kana responded, bowing respectfully at Kaoru. `So this is her dojo. Well, good, but, why is Kenshin dearest here?' Kana thought quizzically. “Well, I can see that this is your dojo, Kaoru-san.” Kana commented to Kaoru.
 
“Ah, yes, I inherited it after the death of my late father.” Kaoru informed Kana in an offhand way.
“Oh, I'm so very sorry, Kaoru-san. I shouldn't have said anything.” Kana said apologetically.
 
“Oh no, not at all. I don't mind.” Kaoru told her dismissively, waving her hand in a carefree way for emphasis.
 
“So, Kenshin, did you know Kaoru-san's father?” Kana asked Kenshin curiously, hoping to get a desirable answer.
 
“Oro? No, this one met Kaoru-dono at…well, long story.” Kenshin trailed off awkwardly, hoping that she wouldn't question him and Kaoru any further.
 
“Long story short, he saved my life, and I asked him to stay with me, knowing he was a rurouni with no money or home to stay in.” Kaoru told Kana also hoping she wouldn't ask anymore.
 
“Oh, Kaoru-san, I would love to hear of what happened before my arrival! Your lives seem to be quite exciting! Well, at least, more interesting than mine.” Kana exclaimed joyfully, happy to finally find a way into learning about what happened to Kenshin.
 
“Exciting is an understatement. So much happened, it feels like we all have never really lived before we met Kenshin!” Kaoru commented laughing and shooting a soft look at Kenshin.
 
“Ah, Kaoru-dono, this one invited Kana-dono to stay with us since she has no money of her own at the moment.” Kenshin said to Kaoru dodging Kana's question smoothly.
 
“Well, of course, I'll go clear a room for her right now.” Kaoru said quickly, eager to get away from the question and leave Kenshin to solve this problem. He seemed to be better at this kind of stuff than her.
 
“Wait! Kaoru-san! I'd like to…hear… the… story…” Kana trailed off dejectedly, as she watched Kaoru disappear into the house at a faster speed than needed. Kaoru sure could move fast when she wanted!
 
“We can wait until Kaoru-dono gets back before telling our story. You don't mind do you?” Kenshin said getting ready to continue his chores.
 
“Hai, or you can start on your own!” Kana stated cheerily, hoping he would just agree.
 
“Well, let us wait for her.” Kenshin responded gently.
 
“Uh-huh.” Kana answered disappointedly. She was hoping to spend some time alone with just Kenshin.
 
“Oh my! This one should start dinner!” Kenshin exclaimed surprised at how late it was.
 
“Kenshin!” Kana called out, prepared to say something inappropriate for the time, but stopped herself.
“Oro?” Kenshin asked, quite surprised at Kana's outburst.
 
“You, uh, cook?” Kana said quickly, hoping it was a pretty good cover up for her badly timed outburst.
 
“Oh, hai. Kaoru-dono's food is…well…” Kenshin commented, and trailed off unsure of how to put it. But, he said this at the wrong time.
 
“My food is what, Kenshin?” Kaoru asked in a threatening voice, as she appeared in the doorway with her hands on her hips, narrowing her eyes. She had an extremely annoyed expression on her face.
 
“Kaoru-dono! On, uh, nothing!” Kenshin spun around, shocked. He silently begged her not to hit him.
 
Out came the bokken, down came the bokken, right on Kenshin's head.
 
“Oroooooooooo!!!!!!” Kenshin cried, becoming swirly-eyed.
 
“Oh! Kenshin!” Kaoru cried, her eyes widening in realization at what she had done. “I'm sorry! Are you okay? I didn't mean to!”
 
“Orooooo…” Kaoru shook Kenshin by the shoulders as he oro'd. “Kaoru-dono, this one is fine.” Kenshin informed her shaking himself out of dizziness.
 
Author's Notes: Kana is getting jealous of Kaoru. But, Kenshin is as oblivious as usual. I'm trying to show whether or not a person can really ruin it between Kenshin and Kaoru.