Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Back To The Start ❯ The Horrid Jinchuu ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Back To The Start
 
Chapter 7: The Horrid Jinchuu
 
“Ah, hai. The story,” Kenshin trailed off awkwardly.
 
“Hai. I'd like to hear the end. The Jinchuu that Megumi-san talked about,” Kana replied eagerly, sneaking an evil glance at Megumi while Kenshin wasn't looking.
 
Everyone avoided each others gaze and then turned their gazes toward Kenshin and Kaoru sitting together simultaneously, just as they turned to look at each other. Reflected in all their eyes were the hurt Enishi caused and the horrible flashbacks.
 
Kana began to get uneasy and sighed, “If you don't want to… you don't have to.”
 
“Iie, you have a right to know who we are, Kana-dono,” Kenshin sighed back.
 
“I think she's pretty much got the hang of it after what we've already told her. She needn't know every little thing,” Sanosuke said dryly.
 
“Sano's right. She needn't know more. What we've gone through can't be so simply put into words,” Megumi commented with a glare.
 
“Oh, well, we've plenty of time, and I can listen forever!” Kana said sincerely, but added a smirk toward Megumi.
 
“Ok, who should start then?” Kenshin asked hoping someone would volunteer. But, no one did. It was all too painful.
 
“Kenshin?” Kana probed further. Kenshin sighed and opened his mouth to speak.
 
“I'll go on,” Kaoru said, seeing her lover's obvious discomfort. Kenshin smiled a quick thank you to her and earned himself a scowl from Kana, which he never saw. But, that look wasn't lost on Megumi. She also shot Kaoru a glare, but no one saw that.
 
“Enishi and the Six Comrades came for the promised attack on Kamiya Dojo. They came in on hot air balloons. Kenshin had to fight Kujiranami who had an Armstrong cannon, but after he knocked him out, he started with Otowa as Sano with Banjin. When Gein came down, Kenshin left his fight to Yahiko as he went to fight Gein. Gein was a skilled artist of Karakuri and had a body suit. Kenshin faced a hard fought battle against him, but won with the ougi. Sanosuke won against Banjin too, same for Yahiko against Otowa, but Yahiko was so close to death. Then Yatsume Mumyoui showed up.”
 
“Hai, and Kenshin saved Kaoru again from Yatsume!” Yahiko cackled. Both Kenshin and Kaoru blushed at the boy's words.
 
“Hai, Saitou showed up and fought against Yatsume, winning. That's when Enishi and this one fought. Enishi won the battle and completed Jinchuu,” Kenshin said quietly.
 
“How? How did he complete Jinchuu? Kenshin?” Kana prodded farther. Kenshin took a deep breath and took to finishing what he'd started.
 
“Kenshin, want me to?” Sano asked worriedly.
 
Kenshin shook his head no, and continued, “This one followed the scent of Hakubaiko left by Enishi and found Kaoru-dono with Enishi's sword through her heart and a cross-shaped scar carved on her left cheek. After seeing that, this one left and went to Rakunimura, the Fallen Village.” Everyone closed their eyes in pain, excluding Kaoru and Kana. Kaoru gasped upon hearing this. No one had told her what had happened to Kenshin for Jinchuu, and seeing how painful it was, she never asked.
 
“Hai, but later we found out that Kaoru was alive. When I was fighting Kujiranami, losing, Kenshin came, and he'd found the answer he had been searching for. He somehow found out Kaoru was alive too, and we went to Enishi's island to rescue her. Sano, Saitou, Aoshi, and me fought the Su-shin, each of us winning our fight. Kenshin and Enishi fought a long and gruesome battle but Kenshin finally ended up winning and we took Kaoru back with us. We also gave Enishi Tomoe's diary,” Yahiko picked up.
 
“Later, Kenshin and I went to Tomoe-san's grave and found flowers and a hairpin on it. Then Megumi-chan left for Aizu, now back though. Sano went exploring the world to escape from the police, but is back now too,” Kaoru finally finished up.
 
“Wow, you guys went through a lot didn't you? I'm glad to be able to see you all now.”
 
“Yeah, we're just thrilled,” Megumi said sarcastically.
 
“Maa, maa… let's calm down,” Kenshin said soothingly.
 
“Shall this one go make dinner now?” Kenshin asked to break the dragging silence. It was more of a rhetorical question than anything else.
 
Kenshin got up and Kaoru suddenly said, “Kenshin, wait, I'll help you.” Kana began to get annoyed that the two were so close.
 
“Hey, can I help? I'd like to be able to help. I think I plan to stay on Tokyo for a while,” Kana put in cheerily with a warm smile directed at Kenshin and only Kenshin. The atmosphere in the room grew awkward and the tension was thick enough to cut with a knife.
 
Kenshin awkwardly avoided Kana's gaze saying, “That won't be necessary Kana-dono, no need for so many people to just cook. Why don't you stay here?”
 
“Hang on, Kenshin. Why don't we go to Akabeko tonight? We have a guest, and let's treat her. Besides, we haven't been there in a pretty long while,” Kaoru cut in, hoping to break the tension in the room. The atmosphere immediately dissolved into a more relaxed air.
 
“Alright, Kaoru-dono, what do you all think? Is Akabeko alright with all of you?”
 
“Sure! I get to skip out then!” Sano replied enthusiastically, calmly lounging back.
 
“No you don't!” the room yelled at him knocking him on to his back.
 
“If you don't pay, you don't eat!” Yahiko shouted.
 
“Aww, c'mon, kid, Tae doesn't mind.”
 
“I do,” Megumi said calmly, folding her arms, and raising an expectant eyebrow and him.
 
“Time to pay up!” Sano quickly improvised. The room laughed amusingly at Sano.
 
“Aww, c'mon, why do y'all always have to make fun of me?!” Sano grumbled indignantly.
 
“`Cuz you're fun to make fun of, that's why rooster-head!” Yahiko shouted, clutching his stomach, doubling over with his insane cackling.
 
“Let's go, then!” Sano snapped.
 
Author's Notes: This was sort of a long chappie. You can see that there is unwanted friction between Megumi and Kana. They don't like each other very much. Well, sorry it took so long for me to update. Hope you aren't disappointed with me.