Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Back To The Start ❯ More Friends? Trouble At Akabeko ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Back To The Start
 
Chapter 8: More Friends? Trouble At Akabeko
 
“Kaoru-chan! Long time no see! Kenshin-san, you too!” Tae cried as the group walked in.
 
“Hey, Tae! What about the rest of us!” Sano grinned.
 
“Well, hello to you all, too, of course! I see all of you plenty anyway, especially Yahiko-kun and Tsubame-chan.” Tae answered pleasantly.
 
“I don't come here that often anymore!” Sano protested.
 
“Iie, that's true. I guess you too Sanosuke,” Tae admitted.
 
“Heh. Heh.”
 
“Well, well, what have we here? Or should I say whom? I see that you have picked up another fair young maiden. This group is growing by the second, ne?” Tae teased.
 
“Tae-san! That's Komichi Kana-kun. She is our house guest for the time being,” Kaoru answered.
 
“Hello, Kana-chan. I'm Sekihara Tae. Pleased to meet you. It's always such a pleasure to meet the Kenshin-gumi's friends!”
 
“It's very nice to meet you too, Tae-san,” Kana replied.
 
“Now table for… Oh! Aoshi-san, Misao-chan, it's very nice to see you again! I expected you to be in Kyoto!” Tae exclaimed.
 
“Well, we were thinking of opening a branch of the Aoi-ya here, so we can more easily visit the rest of the Kenshin-gumi! Great idea, huh! We'll be staying for a while!” Misao chirped energetically.
 
“That's a wonderful idea! Now, then, table for 9?”
 
“Hai, thank you, Tae-san,” Kaoru chimed.
 
Tae smiled and let them into a private booth in the back of the restaurant and left them to go serve other customers. Kenshin slid in and Kana attempted to get in next to him, but ended up next to Megumi, with Kaoru and Sano on the 2 sides of Kenshin.
 
“Well, what should we have? I can go back to place our order now,” Tsubame called out.
 
“Oh, Tsubame-chan, that won't be necessary, we don't mind waiting a while,” Kaoru stopped her, shaking her head.
 
“Tae!” boomed a man at the entrance. His voice was so loud; it made everyone jump. I want my regular table.”
 
“Oh, Ketta-san, hold up! Your normal table isn't available. But, you don't have many people with you. Might you settle for a smaller private booth?” Tae quickly ran up to him, halting him.
 
“Smaller?! That's a load of crap! Take me to my table! NOW!”
 
“Ah, Ketta-san, you see, I've given away that table to a bigger party. So, if you wouldn't mind…” Tae trailed off.
 
`SLAP!'
 
“Ah!” Tae cried out in pain and shock.
 
“Ah!” the entire Kenshin-gumi cried out in alarm. They started to walk out of the booth to face this Ketta-san. Of course, Kenshin made it out 1st and gave a gasp in shock.
 
“Sho-Shonumi Na-Namiketta,” Kenshin stuttered, shock written all over his face.
 
“Battousai,” Ketta sneered. The women ran over to Tae and frantically asked if she was okay. The men just stared at Kenshin; their mouths open in shock, their mouths moving, but no sound coming out.
 
Finally, Sano found his voice, “You know this guy, Kenshin?”
 
“Hai. Ketta-dono, what are you doing here?”
 
“Humph! I shoulda known. You are always the only one in my way! Get out of my booth now!”
 
“This one was under the impression, that this one is already out of the booth. And, perhaps the reason this one is always in your way is because, you follow this one everywhere. You dodged the question. What are you doing here?” Kenshin retorted, his voice dripping with sarcasm and annoyance. All of Kenshin's friends blinked at Kenshin's voice.
 
“Well, well. You haven't changed a bit, Battousai.”
 
This time it was Kenshin's turn to blink, “Oro?”
 
“Whaddaya mean `Oro?' You're still the same sarcastic, biting, right to the point remarking guy. So just shut up and give me back my booth!” Ketta answered in an annoyed voice.
 
“Ketta-dono, in case you haven't realized, although Tae-dono has already brought it to your attention, we have a bigger party than you. You really should settle for a smaller table. What is the use of those empty seats?” Kenshin stated.
 
“What does it matter to you?! Just get out!”
 
“Your name isn't written on the table. This one feels, since that is the case, anyone is entitled to sit at this table.”
 
“Let's take this outside then! A fight! You and I! Right here, right now!”
 
Kaoru quickly ran up to Kenshin and put her hand on his arm. When Kenshin turned to look and her, a surprised expression on his face, she shook her head at him, telling him not to fight.
 
Kenshin paused and then replied, “This one tries very hard to avoid fighting. This one will have to decline, Ketta-dono.”
 
“So, is the Battousai afraid?” Ketta laughed, mocking him.
 
“Think what you want Ketta-dono, but this one will not fight,” Kenshin told him and turned away, back to his friends.
 
Ketta was shocked and then yelled, “Give me my damn table!”
 
Kenshin turned and shot him a death glare, and Ketta shrank away from him.
 
“T-Tae, that smaller table is sounding quite nice now. Can you take me there?” Ketta said, trembling all over from one death glare.
 
“Certainly, Ketta-san. Right this way, please,” Tae said, sweeping her arm toward the booth right next to the Kenshin-gumi's. Ketta gulped and took his seat, fearfully.
 
 
“Kenshin? You know Ketta-san?” Kaoru asked gently.
 
“Oro? Ah, hai. This one knows him from the Bakumatsu. Shonumi Namiketta.”
 
Kaoru gave him a concerned glance and pulled him back to the booth. Everyone looked at each other uneasily. Kana seemed especially confused. She was still crouched in the position she had been in when she and the rest of the women ran over to Tae. She shrugged and got up to follow the rest of the group. Kenshin seemed to be in a reverie.
Kaoru nudged him and he responded with his trademark, “Oro?” provoking a laugh out of everyone. They all took their seats at the table and waited for Tae to come take their order.
 
Tae finally arrived. “Thank you so much everyone. I you hadn't been there, who knows what Ketta-san would have done. But, nevertheless, I'll take your order now,” Tae bowed in gratitude.
 
“It was no problem, Tae-dono.”
 
“Hai, just as Kenshin says. It's our pleasure.”
 
“Okay, now. What would you guys like? I need to hurry and place your order.”
 
“Oh, of course Tae-san,” Kaoru said. “What shall we have?”
 
“How `bout our traditional beef-pot?” Sano suggested.
 
“Are we all in agreement?” Kaoru asked. “Of course, Kana-chan gets to make the final decision. She is our guest.”
 
“Hai,” the crowd murmured in agreement.
 
“Oh, it's alright with me. You needn't worry, I like just about everything. Beef-pot works fine,” Kana quickly commented, as 9 pairs of eyes turned towards her.
 
“Oh, well you obviously don't like everything, considering you said just about. Besides, we want to treat you Kana-kun,” Kaoru replied, her eyes twinkling.
 
“Beef-pot? Ok!” Tae asked and the sped away, turning on her heel.
 
“So, what's up? How did you meet Kana-kun, Ken-san?”
 
“Ah, this one met her on the street just today. This one went to buy groceries and a man was trying to hurt Kana-dono.”
 
`You should have let him! She wants to hurt you and Kaoru-chan's relationship. You two have worked too hard to get through everything together. Your feelings never wavering and growing stronger by each passing day. I won't let Kana wreck this! She seems to know you, yet you seem not to know her…' Megumi mused silently.
 
“Megumi? Are you alright? You've been pretty quiet,” Kaoru asked her, concerned.
 
“What? Oh, I'm fine, just spaced out a little there, sorry,” Megumi quickly said nervously.
 
Kaoru was still a bit skeptical but let it go.
 
“Food's here! Eek!” they heard a voice call.
 
 
Author's Notes: Gomen nasai!  I'm so sorry I didn't update sooner.  I hope you all aren't disappointed with me.  I'm trying I really am.  But, I have put up a couple new fics, so, I hope that helped.For you all who don't like Kana, well, you have a good reason not to.  OC in the next chapter!  Ja ne!