Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Back To The Start ❯ Kenshin's Proposal! ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Back To The Start
 
Chapter 10: Kenshin's Proposal!
 
“Kaoru-dono?” Kenshin poked his head into Kaoru's room and asked?
 
“Hai? Is something wrong, Kenshin?” Kaoru responded worriedly at her lover's serious tone, pausing from brushing her hair to turn towards him.
 
“This one was wondering if you would like to join him for dinner tomorrow night?” Kenshin asked nervously, for he had something special up his sleeve for the night. Literally!
 
“Did you ever think my answer would be no, Kenshin?” Kaoru smiled at him playfully.
 
Kenshin smiled back, relieved, and walked into her room and took her into his arms. Kaoru returned to embrace and Kenshin leaned down and kissed her. Kana was walking by Kaoru's room at the time and saw them kissing through the crack in the door. Now, her hopes were completely drowned.
 
The next day, Kana was quieter than usual and felt no surprise when the Kenshin-gumi all came over again. She also remained emotionless when Kenshin and Kaoru left the dojo with a picnic basket in the evening. After seeing that everyone had a good idea of what was going on, it didn't take long for Kana to catch on either.
 
While everyone back at the dojo were laughing and celebrating, Kenshin and Kaoru were having a nice picnic under the stars. Kenshin was a nervous wreck, but Kaoru was as cool as a cucumber, considering she had no idea of what Kenshin was going to do.
 
Kaoru commented on the lovely night, saying, “This is so lovely, Kenshin. How ever did you think of it?”
 
“Oh, just popped into this one's head,” Kenshin squeaked.
 
“Kenshin, are you ok?”
 
“Fine.”
 
When they finished eating, they cleaned up and stood to admire the starry night sky.
 
Then… “Kaoru, this may be a little sudden, but…” he started, for once dropping the honorific.
 
“Yes, Kenshin?” Kaoru answered, looking at her boyfriend in surprise.
 
Kenshin took out a small case from his sleeve, opened it, and asked, “We've been through good and bad times together. You are my world, and your heart is my sky. I couldn't imagine life without you. Kaoru, will you marry me?” Then he slid the ring on to a shocked Kaoru's ring finger.
 
Kaoru stared in shock at the sparkling ring with the single sapphire embedded in the center on her finger. Then she realized what had just happened, and cried, “Oh, of course I'll marry you Kenshin! You don't know how long I've waited to hear you say those words!” Kaoru threw her arms around him. “Aishiteru, Kenshin!”
 
“Aishiteru mo, Koishii,” Kenshin whispered into Kaoru's hair while hugging her tightly to him. When they broke apart, Kenshin touched her cheek and then leaned in to kiss her. Their lips met in a romantically slow kiss.
 
Later, the couple sat leaning against a tree and looked up at the stars sparkling in the sky, a blanket wrapped firmly around them.
 
Hours later, they awoke to the chirping of the birds, and the 1st rays of sunlight creeping over the horizon. The 2 lovers made their way home, hand in hand. At the dojo, they were greeted with cheers from their friends on their engagement and congratulations and pats on the back. Kana only stood to the side and offered a small smile and halfhearted “congratulations,” and no one even noticed the lack of enthusiasm in her voice. Kenshin went to prepare breakfast, but was dragged away by the men, as was Kaoru by the women for details and questioning. The 2 felt too pressured by their friends and finally just yelled at them to stop. The questions just never ended!
 
Knock. Knock.
 
There was a knock at the door and the crowd went to answer the door. Tae was standing there with a well prepared dinner and the 1st thing she did was toss the food into the men's arms, say a quick hello, and drag Kaoru into her room while the rest of the women just followed eagerly for another round of questioning with Kana trailing dejectedly behind them all.
 
“More questions, Kenshin?” Sano offered him after the women left, his eyes gleaming mischievously.
 
“Iie! No more questions!” Kenshin cried.
 
“Ok. What did you guys do all night?” Sano asked adding extreme emphasis on the word do.
 
“Sleep! That is the last question,” Kenshin replied, his voice tinted with annoyance.
 
“Hai, Kenshin-sama,” Sano said in a sugary sweet tone. Kenshin shot Sano a death glare.
 
Knock. Knock.
 
Kenshin opened the door to see a smirking Saitou and overjoyed Tokio.
 
“Hello, Saitou. What are you doing here?” Kenshin asked indifferently.
 
“Oh, hello, Kenshin-san. Is Kaoru-chan around? Oh, of course she's around. Where is she? Never mind, I'll find her on my own. See ya!” Tokio blabbered on and left a still smirking Saitou to Kenshin.
 
`Oh great. Lucky this one. She sticks this one with Saitou.'
 
“Is something wrong Saitou?” Kenshin asked politely. It always amazed Sano how Kenshin was able to dislike a person, yet still be so damn flippantly polite to them.
 
“Not at all, Battousai. I just find it amusing to taunt you about your engagement. That's all,” Saitou replied, still smirking like the psycho cop he is.
 
Kenshin nodded slowly, then replied, “So… regardless what this one does, you will not stop?”
 
“Hai. Precisely.”
 
“Then please allow this one to escort you to the exit,” Kenshin said cheerfully, sweeping his arm toward the gate.
 
“No, thank you, Battousai. I'd like to stick around a while longer.” At that moment, the group of women walked out, still chatting and laughing with each other.
 
“Hajime, let's leave. Now,” Tokio commanded. “Nice seeing you all again!” Tokio then brightly chirped to everyone else.
 
“I'll save it for another day, Battousai, “Saitou hissed.
 
“Hajime!” Tokio's voice rang out sharply. The crowd snorted with laughter upon seeing Saitou shoot one last glare at Kenshin, and scurry after his wife.
 
After Saitou left, Tae suddenly asked, “Hey, would you all like to o see Kisa-chan again?”
 
“Um, sure Tae-san. Why not. She seemed eager for us to meet her brother,” Kaoru replied, although slightly startled at the outburst.
 
Author's Notes: Well, you finally see the proposal. I know that Kenshin probably wouldn't have enough money to buy Kaoru such a ring, but I wanted to make the scene a little more extravagant. Also, I know that Kenshin and Saitou may have been a little OOC when Saitou was taunting Kenshin, but I thought it would add some humor. Well, glad I finally got 10 chapters up. But, don't worry, there'll be many more. See you next chappie!