Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Back To The Start ❯ Bleak Love ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Back To The Start
 
Chapter 12: Bleak Love
 
“Iie, Nii-chan. I'm not ill, not to worry.”
 
“Well, I'll take the rest of the day off,” Hatori decided anyway.
 
“Oh, but I want to talk to my new friends more!” Kisa whined.
 
“You can another day, Kisa,” Hatori answered wearily.
 
“We won't mind accompanying you both, this one thinks,” Kenshin spoke up.
 
“Well, if you are sure, then that would be splendid,” Hatori answered gratefully, not wanting to get into having to calm a whining Kisa.
 
“Great! Let's head home then!” Kisa cried, her mood lightening immediately.
 
The group formed a couple lines one behind the other, coupling up to walk to the Sohma household. Yahiko, Tsubame, and Kisa walked at the front, with Kisa leading the way. Following them in the respective order were: Kenshin and Kaoru, Aoshi and Misao, Sano and Megumi, and lagging far behind for privacy were Hatori and Kana. Up front, Kisa was chatting animatedly with Tsubame and Yahiko, and Kenshin and Kaoru were simply walking behind them, with Kenshin's arm around Kaoru's shoulders. Far in back, Kana was telling Hatori how she felt.
 
“Hatori-san, have you ever felt that the object of your affection, just wouldn't notice you?”
 
`Of course. Your attention is fully occupied with Kenshin. I wish that you would turn those affections upon me. I may have just met you, but I know what love is,' Hatori thought reproachfully.
 
“Hai, in fact I have, Kana-san”
 
“Well, could I tell you something then, Hatori-san?”
 
“Of course, anything.”
 
“You have to promise not to tell anyone.”
 
“Hai, Hai, of course.”
 
“Well, I really like Kenshin. He's the sweetest, cutest, kindest, most adorable guy I know. But, you see, I`ve met him before a couple days ago, and… well, he doesn't remember me, since I looked quite different back then and I never told him my name. But, I fell in love with him. I'd only known him for a day, but I fell for him big time. But, the problem is, he doesn't even know I exist. Well, not as a woman he can be attracted to at least. He doesn't even acknowledge my feelings. I never told him, but I'm kinda obvious. Megumi noticed right away. Thankfully, Kaoru didn't notice, or else, I'd probably be kicked out of the house by now. Kaoru really is a kind woman, but… she has Kenshin. I love him. I wish he'd love me back. And, I don't care about the fact that he's Hitokiri Battousai! I knew that when I fell in love with him. But, the sad thing is, neither does Kaoru. If only she cared, Kenshin never would have fallen in love with her, and vice versa. Also, he wouldn't have proposed to her. The he'd be all mine,” Kana said bitterly.
 
“Oh, I'm sorry,” Kana apologized, her head snapping up. “I should have been more discreet. I just love Kenshin so much. I wish I could break up Kenshin and Kaoru. Then I'd take Kenshin, and Hatori-san, if you want her, you can have Kaoru.”
 
“I-I'll help. Sure, that sounds fine to me,” Hatori said absentmindedly.
 
“Great! I'm glad you support me Hatori-san!” Kana chimed brightly, and for the first time really smiled at Hatori with her heart.
 
“I'd support anything you do, Kana,” Hatori murmured, unaware that he said it aloud.
 
“Mm?” Kana asked, not really paying attention. “Did you say something, Hatori-san?” Kana said as she gazed off toward the distance.
 
Hatori blushed and replied, “Nothing. Nothing at all.” He followed her gaze, realizing that it led to Kenshin. He sighed mentally. `Oh, Kana. Why can't you realize that Kenshin's love will never change? Don't you see how he looks at Kaoru? He loves her beyond all else. Just as I love you. Why can't you give up on Kenshin and give me a chance? I love you, Kana,' Hatori thought sadly.
 
“Nii-chan?” Kisa's worried voice broke through his thoughts. “Nii-chan, are you ill? You seem to be absentminded today.”
 
“Iie. I'm fine Kisa,” Hatori answered. Satisfied, Kisa waked inside, inviting everyone in. But, Kana caught Hatori's arm.
 
“Hatori-san,” Kana whispered in urgent tones, cupping his ear with her hand and moving her lips close to his ear so that Hatori felt her warm breath tickling his ear. “I need your help. Can you meet me at the riverbank a couple minutes away from the Kamiya Dojo tomorrow at 3 o'clock?”
 
Hatori blinked in surprise and replied, in normal tones, “Sure, b-“
 
“Shh!” Kana interrupted, putting her finger to his lips.
Hatori blushed and continued in hushed tones, “Sure, Kana-san, but why?”
 
“I'll explain then. Just meet me.”
 
“Ok.” Kana smiled briefly at his `ok' and slipped back to the others with Hatori on her heels.
 
“We should be going,” Kaoru commented.
 
“Oh, too bad. Come again! I'll be at Akabeko all day! Come visit!” Kisa exclaimed, her mood not souring with their comment on leaving.
 
“See you two later, then,” Megumi said.
 
“Hai, later,” Hatori answered.
 
Everyone turned to leave and Kana hissed, “Tomorrow at 3!” to Hatori once again before leaving.
 
`What have I gotten myself into? I know just what she wants help with! Breaking up Kenshin and Kaoru! They look so happy together. I don't know if I can do this. Ah, well, what's done is done. I never go back on my word.'
 
Author's Notes: Hey, everyone! How's your summer been going? I've been busy for the last 2-3 weeks so I haven't updated, so gomen nasai! Kisa may seem a little like a brat, but I swear that was not my intention. Try to overlook it if you can. This fic only has a couple more chapters, so hope you're all still with me. Well, ttfn! C U all next time!