Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Finding Your Place, Untitled ❯ The Reunion and a Question ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Finding Your Place
 
Chapter 2:The Reunion and a Question
 
Kenshin stood up and put a hand and his sword hilt. “Who's there?” He demanded.
 
“B-baka d-denchi.” A small boy's voice came, and then came a thud like one that would have come from hitting someone's head. “Ow! W-w-what w-was that f-for?!” The boy said with an obvious speech impediment.
 
“Oro?” Kenshin said now confused.
 
“For being an idgit!” A girl's voice came.
 
As they stepped out of the shadows and closer to the house Kenshin squinted to see who it was that was visiting them. When Kenshin realized who they were his eyes went wide. Kentai! But . . . no that's Kenzie. And that must be little Ryoshin! Kenshin smiled a real smile.
 
“I wish you children wouldn't argue so much.” To Kenshin, an unfamiliar, woman's voice came. She had long jet black hair, porcelain skin, and blue-green eyes.
 
That's not Kentai that it isn't . . . Kenshin thought. “Kenzie, Ryoshin, come here my children!” Kenshin said, knelt down, and held out his arms.
 
“U-uncle K-Kennie!” Ryo yelled and ran to his uncle right into his waiting arms. Ariannah was astonished. She had yet to hear Ryoshin speak. Hearing his voice made her smile. Kaoru on the other hand was alarmed at first but hearing Kenshin was only the children's uncle she relaxed a bit.
 
“Hi, Uncle Kennie! Kenzie said and Kenshin gave her a big hug. “We've missed you!”
 
“I've missed you too that I have.”
 
“And I'm surprised! Ryo never talks, but he certainly is talkative now!” Kenzie gasped. “Uncle Kennie I almost forgot! This is Ariannah.” Kenzie said and pointed to the young black haired woman.
 
“Auntie Ari f-for short.” Ryo said with his lisp and stuttering words.
 
“It's nice to meet you Miss Ariannah.” Kenshin said and nodded to her.
 
“It's nice to finally meet you too. I've heard so much about you.” Ariannah answered back.
 
“I hope all good that I do.” Kenshin chuckled as well as Ariannah. “Oh that's right. Children where is Kentai? Where is your mother? I do not see her that I don't.” With that question all was silent. No one could say. How could they tell Kenshin that his little sister, is only blood relative, was . . . dead?
 
“Children!” Kenshin said in a more stern voice. “Where is your mother?” Ryoshin winced and began to cry. The normally talkative Kenzie was speechless and looking anywhere but at Kenshin.
“She's gone.” Master Hiko said solemnly as he walked through the gate to the group of people.
 
Kenshin was in shock. “Gone?! D-do you mean…?”
 
Hiko nodded. “Kentai died protecting your name and the children two years ago; hence Kenzie's scar and Ryo's speech obstruction.”
 
Kenshin couldn't help but grieve. His only little sister was dead… because of him! “Excuse me.” Kenshin bowed politely before running into the house and into his room. Kaoru called his name and followed after him.
 
“I-I miss M-m-momma!” Ryo wailed. Ariannah went to comfort him. Kenzie just stared at the spot where Kenshin had stood.
 
@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@
 
Tsukioka Katsuhiko was walking down a familiar street with thugs and gambling. He knew exactly where he was going. He knocked on the door to his destination and when no one answered he shouted. “Open up you idiot!”
 
“Katsu?” Sanosuke went to the door, opened it up and sure enough it was him. “Katsu you dog! What are you doing here? You didn't come to bomb anything again did you?” He teased his long-time friend.
 
“We're in town for the festival and thought I'd stop by.” Katsu said as Sano let him in. “Nice place you got here.” He said sarcastically as he looked around.
 
“Sure if you don't mind the smell and the thugs outside.” Sano said smoothly.
 
Katsu chuckled. “Then I'm glad I didn't bring the kids. It really does smell in here.” He covered his nose; Kenzie, in Ryo could easily defend themselves from the oafs outside with Master Hiko's training.
 
“Yeah, I guess I'm just use to it. Wait! Kids?! Since when…” Sano was dumbfounded.
 
“It's a long story…” Katsu looked down saddened by the memory.
 
“But kids Katsu? I only just saw you last year! I mean how?!” Sanosuke prodded.
 
“They're ten and six.” Sano's jaw dropped. “They're father ran out on their mother before Ryo was born. I… helped raise them both… Kentai and I were engaged. Kenzie and Ryo think of me as their real father. And now that their mother is gone…” Katsu trailed off and hung his head, hiding his face with his bangs.
 
“Katsu I'm… I'm sorry man.” Sano said and put a comforting hand on his friends shoulder. Katsu didn't have to say anymore, Sano understood.
 
@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@_@
 
“Kenshin?” Kaoru said as she slowly opened his door and found him weeping on the floor. “Oh Kenshin.” Kaoru went to him and held him close to comfort him. “I'm so sorry Kenshin.” She said, starting to cry herself.
 
“It's my fault… it's all my fault!” Kenshin kept mumbling between his sobs.
 
“No Kenshin… it's not your fault. It couldn't have been helped. Kenshin, look at me.” Kenshin looked at Kaoru reluctantly. “She died defending you. Doesn't…”
 
“Exactly! She shouldn't have had to!” Kenshin burst out, which made Kaoru wince. Kenshin's looked softened and voice lowered after he saw her reaction. “I'm sorry… I just don't understand why. I don't deserve her sacrifice. She didn't deserve to die like that!” Kenshin angrily cried.
 
“Kenshin… it seems to me that Kentai loved you very much, And as she did, I would die for you as well.” Kenshin looked Kaoru straight into her blue-gray eyes. Old memories returned to Kenshin like the plague. “I love you Kenshin. I'd do anything for you.”
 
“Kaoru, I love you too.” Kenshin wrapped his arms around Kaoru bringing them closer. “No one should ever have to die on account of me again!” Kenshin vowed. After staying in each other's for awhile Kenshin suddenly remember he had left their guests abruptly. “Children! Sensei! I had almost forgot!”
 
Kaoru giggled, she had her normal Kenshin back. “We had better return to them then.”
 
“That we shall!” They gave each other a quick kiss and went out back to their guests.