Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ In These Final Hours ❯ The Truth Unravels ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Damn, this plot is spinning out of control! Where the hell am I going with this anyway? What happened to the fluff? The cute? Sigh… well, I guess I can't really be held responsible since I don't own these guys ~_^

In These Final Hours: The Truth Unravels

The majority of Kaoru's morning had been spent sulking in the gardens by her room. Her eyes wandered over the lulling beauty without interest. She'd been huddled in her cushioned chair long enough that the awe had worn off and she was left feeling petulant. Trees and flowers didn't have to deal with relationships. Their days consisted of basking in the sun amid the sleepy drone of bees and quietly whiling away the night hours in the company of roosting birds and animals. Maybe if she sat still long enough she would be mistaken for a plant and the Gods would obligingly root her into the ground and relieve her mind of any care beyond the mildness of the weather.

"Are you still pouting out here?" Yahiko's voice demanded from behind her. She glowered and listened as he thumped his way across the grass toward her. This was the third interruption of her solitude in the last hour. She wished they would just leave her alone.

The young spy planted himself beside her with hands fisted on his hips. She ignored him and pretended to be absorbed with watching a butterfly drink from a nearby azalea. They bloomed twice a season at most and she felt lucky to have caught their splendor. The garden was rich with magenta. The only thing ruining her peaceful communing with nature was the irritated whistle of Yahiko's breathing.

"What do you want?" she asked finally. Her anger subsided into the familiar weight that had kept her in the garden all morning. Being angry took too much energy.

"Everyone's really worried about you!" he bellowed, "What the hell is your problem? Prince Kenshin said you were fine yesterday. Is this some sort of freaky relapse?"

"Sure," she shrugged. That was an easy excuse. They would be less likely to ask uncomfortable questions if they simply thought she was depressed by her injury.

"I don't believe this," Yahiko folded his arms across his chest and jutted his chin out, "I came all the way back from my station cause I heard you're busted up. I didn't think they meant in the head," he taunted.

"Sorry you had to come so far," she hunched down in the chair and pulled her legs under her. Her gaze drifted from the azaleas to the dogwoods that ringed in a corner of the garden.

"Ok, this is really starting to creep me out," Yahiko muttered. She didn't bother turning her face to him. "I'm getting Kenshin out here again," he stated firmly and, after a thoughtful pause, "Sano and Sou, too. After that, Misao and Aoshi. He has something to give you, he said."

She nodded absently when he seemed to be waiting for a reaction. Apparently it wasn't what he was looking for because he sighed.

"I don't know what's wrong with you, Kaoru, but you better snap out of it," his voice was fierce, "There's a huge ball coming up at the end of the week and you'll need to be there. Prince Kenshin's fiancée will be there, we'll need you to make sure they don't spend too much time together. Are you even listening to me?" he demanded as doe-wide eyes turned on him.

"Why should they be kept apart?" she asked. It was the first thing she'd heard all day that had sparked her interest.

Yahiko rolled his eyes, "Cause the King's got some big negotiations going on right now with other countries. Kenshin's kind of a bargaining chip, so he doesn't want anyone to know he's been shackled already."

"Oh," she turned back to the scenery.

"Hey, don't go blabbing about his engagement to anyone," he warned, "Only the really inner circle knows about it."

"I won't," she promised softly. The words hurt just hearing them. She didn't know if she could bear to say them out loud herself. They might strangle her.

She didn't notice him leave. She didn't notice that time had passed, either, because it seemed like seconds when she stirred. His tread was distinctive with its duplicity. Unhurried, even steps laced with the roll-step glide of stealth. Prince and warrior inhabiting one body. She closed her eyes and pretended he was closing the distance between them so he could confess his love.

"Ms. Kaoru, Yahiko said I should come talk to you," he stood behind her chair and she could feel the uncertainty in his posture. When he realized she wasn't going to say anything, he went on, "I do not think you should be up, that I do not," he said sternly, "You need to be resting."

"I am resting," she pointed out. Not moving all day counted as resting, didn't it?

He sighed and moved around to stand in front of her. She regarded him with dull eyes. Even when she was contemplating hating him, she couldn't help being warmed by his presence. The hands that hurt her could heal her as well. An interesting twist of fate.

"I'm taking you back to your room," he said finally and moved forward to lift her from the chair.

"No!" her voice was startled her. She hadn't raised it all day. "You shouldn't carry me."

He paused and his face was uncomfortably close, "What? Why not?"

Her smile was bittersweet. Right now there were many reasons, but only one was safe to voice. "Because you're engaged, Kenshin. It isn't right."

"But I carried you all day yesterday," he reasoned with a tilt of his head.

Kaoru shook her head, "I didn't know Tomoe was your fiancée yesterday."

"I don't think I understand, Ms. Kaoru," he sounded helpless.

Her patience snapped. As intuitive as he could be sometimes, he was a very dense person. "How do you think she'd feel if she knew you were cozying up to another girl while she was away?" she snapped.

Kenshin straightened, "I'm sure she would be hurt, but," he floundered, "I wasn't 'cozying' with you, was I?" his face became anxious, "If I was, I apologize for my inappropriate behavior, Ms. Kaoru."

She stared at him and let her head sink back against the chair. "You are so difficult," she moaned and straightened again. At least arguing with him made her feel energized. "I know you weren't," she lied. She'd thought his concern was born of an emotion completely different from the truth. "But what about other people in the palace? They don't know your relationship with her, so they might assume things they wouldn't otherwise." He still looked confused. "Kenshin, you were basically cuddling me all day yesterday. If they don't know better, what else are they supposed to think?" she demanded.

His mouth thinned and he looked pensive. "I suppose you are right, Ms. Kaoru."

"Mou, finally," she flung her hands dramatically and collapsed against the cushions.

His gaze turned thoughtful as he watched her. She met his gaze with increasing difficulty.

"Are you angry with me because I didn't tell you I was engaged?" the words fell against her face like acid. She stared at him in shock before forcing herself to look away.

Yes. "No. Of course not, Kenshin," she forced a chuckle.

"Kaoru," he chided and knelt so that he could see beneath the shadows of her bangs.

Her mouth drooped at how well he could read her. Then she scowled. If he was really so keen on her emotions, they wouldn't be having this conversation.

"I am," she admitted.

"Why?" his face was guileless. Half of her feared he might already know her heart, but the other begged him to not be so blind. There was no hidden meaning to his words, though. He was a trusted friend and companion concerned about her wellbeing. The arms that had held her so close the day before had been innocent. The embrace two nights ago had been from the fear of losing a comrade. Not a lover. So she was left groping for an answer to his question.

"Ms. Kaoru?" She blinked and focused on his face again. A smile touched her lips. The best way to cover deception was within truth.

Why? Because you let me believe I could love you. "Because you all seem to like keeping secrets from me. And ones that end up embarrassing me, as well," she let a bit of the mortification she felt over her naiveté slip into her tone. The small blush to her cheeks sealed the lingering doubt on his face. He grinned.

"I apologize, Ms. Kaoru. To be honest, I had not meant to keep it from you. The past week has been full of many surprises, that it has."

The wound on her back decided to be perverse and throb. She winced at the growing ache.

"Yes, it has," she agreed wryly. If the medicine was already wearing off, she really had been out here for some time.

"How is your back?"

She waved away his concern, "Fine. The numbing stuff isn't working very well right now, that's all."

"Would you like me to get the supplies?" he nodded his head in the direction of her room. Her eyes nearly bugged out of her head. He was suggesting changing her bandaging out here in the middle of the garden? Baring her flesh under the bright illumination of the sun? Her cheeks flared red at the thought.

"Pervert," she snapped before the word had even registered in her mind.

"Oro?" he rocked back on his heels and sat down hard at the accusation. His eyes were round with disbelief and then he laughed. Kaoru's eyes widened in appreciation. She'd never heard him laugh so freely before. Then they narrowed. He was laughing at her expense.

She surged from the chair with a pent up energy she hadn't felt in the grips of her depression and gave him a sound kick in the leg.

"Don't laugh at me!" she ordered, "You were the one who just suggested I take off my robe where the Gods and everyone else could see!"

He yelped cheerfully and scuttled backward on his hands and heels. She followed him doggedly, shouting and kicking as she went.

"See? I told you the Prince could cheer her up."

The new voice brought their play to an abrupt halt. Kaoru straightened and craned her neck around in surprise. She'd been so absorbed that she hadn't noticed anyone else approaching. Kenshin picked himself up and absently brushed leaves and grit from his pants. From the look on his face when she glanced at him, he hadn't noticed either.

Yahiko was leaning against the back of her chair looking smug. Behind him, Soujiro was regarding her with a smile tinged with amusement. Sanosuke's smile was brittle. The expression was a painful reminder of her position. Guilt dragged her away from Kenshin and toward the little group. Each step weighed her down and by the time she reached her chair she'd forgotten why she'd ever felt like getting up.

"What do you need?" she asked tiredly and slumped back into the warm cushions. By foregoing greetings and hammering at the point, she hoped the conversation would end sooner. The desire to be alone was consuming her again.

"Ms. Kaoru?" Kenshin's voice hummed with worry and confusion. From depression to normal to depression again in the space of five minutes. She didn't blame him for being unbalanced.

"I'm fine," she reassured him, "You should get back. You spent too much time away from your duties yesterday," she reminded him.

"Yes, but you are still not feeling well."

"We'll take care of missy, don't worry," Sano drawled. She smiled. Even his drawl was strained. They were worried she would make a mess of the situation.

"Go," she shooed and tried for a genuine smile. From his expression she could tell she hadn't quite made it, but he nodded and headed toward the palace anyway.

When he was out of earshot she removed the ramrod in her back and melted into the chair. Soujiro moved in front of her, settling himself beside her feet, and Yahiko leaned against the left arm of the chair. She smiled at them gratefully. They were always ready to offer her support. But it was also a warning. They were taking up buffer positions. A buffer to protect her from the third member of the party.

"You need to snap out of this, Kaoru." Sano stalked past the chair and stood with his back to her. "Kenshin's going to start getting suspicious-"

"And he'll figure out how I feel and do something stupid," she interrupted, "I know. Don't worry, brother, I won't be a thorn in anyone's side. I'm going to ask Megumi for a jar of medicine tonight and I'll leave tomorrow morning."

He stiffened and turned on her, "What?"

"I said I'm leaving."

He shook his head slowly, "Oh, no. You're not getting out of this that easily."

His tone bit into her skin. "What? Aren't you glad? Last night you were trying to kick me out. I'm doing what's right!"

"Bullshit. You're running away. As your superior, I won't allow it. You swore you'd protect the prince. You can't just leave when things get tough."

"Hey, Rooster-head, she saved prince Kenshin's life," Yahiko cut in furiously, "That weird prophecy thing is over, right? Why shouldn't she go home? I mean, she's lying about who she is. What if the king finds out?"

"I agree. I think it would be safer for her to go home now. We're tempting fate by taking longer than necessary," Soujiro frowned.

Sano stared at the two men facing him and swore. "You guys are even bigger idiots than she is."

"Sanosuke," Kaoru snapped. She wouldn't let him berate her friends for defending her.

"You're staying," he shoved his hands in his pockets, "With Lady Tomoe coming, we'll need you more than ever. And there's still the treaty with Nishimoto. And don't turn my words against me. You were trying to stay for selfish reasons last night, that's why I got angry. Now you're trying to leave the same way."

"But the prophecy is over! You said it yourself, I'm lying to him. They can find another girl to be the escort. Why can't Misao volunteer for awhile? She'd probably have fun."

"You're trying to dump this on Misao?"

"I'm just trying to do what's best."

"Yeah, what's best for you!" he shot back. "The king himself put you in charge of his son. Do you know how serious that is? The king put the prince's safety in your hands. You can't just bolt when your stupid crush is ruined. You made a promise. This is your duty."

Her chest heaved with angry sobs. How dare he make light of her feelings.

"Shut up, Sano!" Yahiko moved forward challengingly.

"Yahiko," the softness of Soujiro's voice cooled the air. He shook his head and turned apologetic eyes on Kaoru, "I am sorry, Kaoru, but Sano is right. Despite the risk, you have a duty to fulfill. By taking the escortship, you put him above yourself. If you are going to leave it must because you are doing what is best for the prince."

"Sou," she whispered pleadingly, "Isn't this in his interest? What about my feelings? What if he finds out?"

"That's your problem, not his," Sano said heavily, "If he doesn't know how you feel, he won't do anything. There won't be a problem."

A hand squeezed her chest, "Are you telling me to keep hiding how I feel? You want me to keep following him around everyday pretending nothing is wrong? You expect me to be able to do that?" Tears were blurring her vision and it was becoming difficult to speak.

"Yes."

"Go to hell."

"Fine."

She threw herself at him, arms striking blindly. He caught her wrists and shoved her down. She sat on the ground hard and was stunned into silence. He squatted in front of her and met her gaze.

"As your brother, I wish you could just go home," he said stonily, "But here you're a member of the Guard and I outrank you. Don't be a hypocrite, Kamiya. What would the old man do."

His face remained impassive as she stared at him. How could he do this to her? His own sister? No, she thought bitterly, he'd just said that here she wasn't his sister. She was just a soldier. Someone he could push around because he had more power. Their father would never do that. Kenshin was like that, too. They'd never use their position to bully anyone. Never.

Unless… He puts his responsibilities before what he may like more. Sano's face hadn't been so lifeless that day in the carriage, but the gaze had been just as stern. He'd warned her then what duty meant. Now he was challenging her to prove him right. Daring her to prove she was a hypocrite. That she was just as bad as the nobles she despised.

She bowed her head. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

"Fine," her voice was dull, "I'll stay. I'll be a good girl and pretend everything is fine. Is that acceptable, Lord Kamiya?"

"You're ugly when you're bitter." He released her and stood. The heavy tread of his shoes faded behind her, but she stayed slumped on the grass. Her life was slipping through her fingers, falling into the palms of others. First she'd been held by the prophecy and now by her oath to the king. That she was being trampled in the process didn't seem to concern anyone.

"Kaoru," the soft touch on her shoulder made her flinch. "He's trying not to be too soft with you. He just wants you to become strong." Soujiro knelt beside her.

"He's such a jerk," she choked.

She didn't fight him when Sou pulled her into a hug. He held her gently and she let the weakness and horror of her situation drain from her eyes. Yahiko sat on her other side and placed a warm hand on her shoulder. She clutched at it with the hand that wasn't balled in Soujiro's shirt. They were both so good to her. Yahiko hadn't even known her as long as Sou. It had only been a year since she'd steered him to Aoshi's doorstep when she'd caught him trying to lift her purse in the village.

"I'm sorry," she muttered into Sou's shoulder and lifted her head. "I shouldn't be so selfish. I really am just as horrible as he thinks I am."

"Come off it, ugly," Yahiko snorted, "Sano's a big idiot, but he doesn't think you're horrible."

"He is trying to teach you in the only way he knows how," Sou nodded.

"Yeah, by being a stupid rooster." The spy rose and stared down at her. "I'm gonna go find Lord Aoshi and the weasel. He has something for you."

She nodded and dragged the heel of her palm across her eyes to clear them. Soujiro helped her to her feet and she winced.

"I'll be in my room," she told him and then to Sou, "Can you find Megumi for me?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

Soujiro left her sitting listlessly on the edge of her bed. She waited for Megumi in silence and ignored the swirl of her thoughts. She didn't want to deal with them right now.

A sharp rap on her door roused her from the trance. The young doctor didn't wait for an invitation and strode briskly into the room.

"How is your strength?" she asked as she set a bag similar to the one Kenshin had carried down by the bed. There were a few towels under her arm.

"Better than yesterday."

"Good. I'm going to have to heal you again." Megumi rummaged through the bag and pulled a few strips of cloth out, setting them next to the towels on the bed.

"What?" Kaoru obediently turned her back and slipped the robe down her shoulders.

"With Lady Tomoe coming, there's going to be a ball. You'll need to be both fit and presentable. I don't think any of your dresses will be loose enough to avoid pulling the wound, and you can't look sick."

"A ball?" Kaoru winced as the bandages were removed. Megumi wasn't as gentle as the prince. "When?"

"The day after tomorrow. That's why I'm going to have to do this now. You'll need at least a day to recover your strength. You're not allowed to leave bed tomorrow except for the bathroom. Strict bed rest."

Kaoru examined the rough hands curled in her lap. "I guess this escort thing really is important."

The efficient stroke of cloth on her back slowed and paused. "Yes, it is. Are you in love with him, too?"

She jumped at the question and her head whipped around to look at the doctor in surprise. The expression she found was both compassionate and stern.

"You're in love with him?" her voice rose with each word.

Megumi shrugged and resumed her ministrations. "I was, once. That's how I can tell. But Kaoru," her voice dropped, "Let me give you a little advice. Don't let yourself think you can win him over Tomoe. She is… she is more woman than anyone I have ever met."

"Is she beautiful?" she breathed, feeling awe steal over her. There was an aura around the mystery fiancé. Her name was reverent on everyone's lips.

"Not as beautiful as I am, of course," Megumi tittered. Kaoru's eye twitched at the outrageous change.

Her mind turned back toward Tomoe as silence settled back over them. "I'd like to meet her. She doesn't sound like a real person."

"I'm not sure that she is," Megumi rubbed the wound clean with water from a small flask. "She hardly ever smiles and yet the men are drawn to her like puppies. That's femme mystique."

"I don't know how I'm going to do this," Kaoru murmured. Just the thought of Tomoe was intimidating. Soon she would have to meet her and watch Kenshin's true affections settle in the arms of another woman.

She shook her head. Her own innocence had led her to this point. She couldn't imagine that she'd ever had a claim on his heart. The honor had already been bestowed on another, more worthy woman.

"One day at a time," Megumi pushed around the edges of the wound. "But it might help to imagine her being disposed of in nasty ways when you hit a rough moment."

"Megumi!"

The doctor chortled behind a delicate hand. "Just joking, dear."

"Mou."

"This hasn't healed as much as I would have liked." She slapped Kaoru's healthy shoulder lightly. "You have been too rough with yourself. You nearly died two days ago. This is not the time to pout over a silly man."

Kaoru touched her chest where the wound lay on the other side. "Megumi… did I really almost die?"

The doctor stilled and then began to rearrange the bandages lying on the bed. "The arrow punctured your lung and you stopped breathing. If that psychotic bastard hadn't decided to leave, I wouldn't have been able to heal you before you were beyond my reach. You have the devil's luck, Ms. Seta."

A touch of the cold she'd felt that day ghosted down her spine. Her face was numb with shock and she consciously flexed her right hand to reassure herself that she was there. That she was alive. Those words, so dry in the doctor's mouth, awakened a terror and nausea she'd buried upon waking from her injury.

"Dead. I was dead for awhile, wasn't I?"

"Yes." Cloth rustled as Megumi continued to fiddle with the bandages.

"I remember. There was nothing. There wasn't even nothing. It was just an absence. Like when you spend too much time in the dark and you can't tell if your eyes are open or closed anymore." A violent shiver coursed through her body and she clutched her arms around her chest.

The warmth of Megumi's hand on her back burned her skin. "Don't think about it. Let it go. I was there, so naturally you couldn't have died. You shouldn't doubt my skill, little raccoon."

Kaoru stirred at the insult, but couldn't shake the lingering horror.

Another knock brought their attention to the door. Kaoru shrugged her robe back into place and called an invitation.

Aoshi paced into the room, his cold eyes finding her on the bed and pinning her into place. Misao bounded in behind him and flashed her an encouraging smile. Kaoru tweaked a corner of her mouth, but was too nervous to make a real attempt. Aoshi looked grim.

"Ms. Seta, Ms. Takani," he bowed, "May I inquire after your health?"

Kaoru's eyes narrowed, "As well as to be expected. The doctor was about to perform another healing spell in preparation for the upcoming ball."

"That is fortunate to hear."

Misao rolled her eyes, "You two quit being so stiff. He's got some big news," she jerked a thumb at her boss.

Aoshi's gaze slid to his young pupil before settling back onto the pale woman on the bed. He reached into his long coat and pulled out a wilted flower. He extended it to Kaoru mutely and she plucked the white blossom from his hand.

"I met with a contact in the Yukishiro house two days ago. He intercepted a guard four nights ago. The guard was helping an old woman escape from a prison we had hereto been unaware of. She had been tortured for information by Lord Yukishiro."

Kaoru stiffened as a thread of ice snuck up her back.

"What is he up to now?" Megumi bit angrily.

"I'm not sure it is a present threat. The lady knew my contact for a spy upon sight and asked him to deliver this message to you, Ms. Seta."

Misao stepped forward and held her chin erect, "The message was addressed to That Insolent Girl. 'Don't be an idiot.'"

Kaoru groaned and caught her face in her hand. "That old hag, again?"

"She also wanted the flower delivered." Aoshi added.

She peered at the limp petals through her fingers.

"Why would that lunatic be torturing an old woman?" Megumi asked.

Kaoru's hands paled gray with cold. "Oh Gods."

"Ms. Takani, would you please step out of the room for a moment?" Aoshi bowed.

The doctor bristled but nodded. Turning a warning eye on Kaoru that said "we're not done," she stood and gracefully removed her presence from the group.

As soon as the door clicked closed, Kaoru let the panic she was feeling show on her face.

"The prophecy! He knew about it. No wonder." She shook her head, "He knew exactly who I was, exactly when to strike."

Misao's face was grim, "Yes."

She shook her head and tried to align her understanding of what had happened with the new information. "I don't understand. I still prevented it from happening, just like the prophecy said I would." Her eyes widened as a new realization bloomed, "But because he knew what to expect, I fell right into the prophecy's trap."

"Trap?" Misao plunked next to her on the bed.

"Yeah. The seer warned me that if I wasn't careful, my naivety would turn the disaster back to me. I guess… I guess he got me." Kaoru placed an absent hand to her shoulder and squeezed the flesh there hard.

"I don't believe that is accurate." She looked up at Aoshi in surprise. "Yukishiro knew of the prophecy and who could prevent its occurrence. The prince should be dead."

"Aoshi!" Kaoru gasped.

"I believe he was trying to eliminate you, not the prince."

"Are you suggesting that wasn't the disaster the prophecy was talking about?" she demanded.

Aoshi shook his head, "From what we know, Yukishiro Enishi is the only known threat to the prince that cannot be handled by the Guard or my own forces. He is the only "disaster" that could possibly fit in the prophecy. And since the disaster is aware of what could prevent it, the prophecy has been negated."

Kaoru stared at him with glassy eyes. Misao pried her hand from her shoulder and held it gently. "What Lord Aoshi is saying is that Enishi knew his original plan wouldn't work so he changed it. He prevented the prophecy from ever happening in the first place."

Aoshi hesitated before nodding his agreement. Kaoru stared between them in shock. She hadn't fulfilled the prophecy?

"But I realized what was going on before anyone else," she protested. She wrested her hand from Misao's and shifted away from them on the bed. "I saved him from that arrow!"

Misao winced and turned to look her friend full in the face. "Kaoru, I know you would have thought that in the middle of the battle, but think about it. Most of the people that were there, Kenshin especially, have much better reflexes than you."

"What are you saying?" she shrilled.

"Ms. Kaoru, what you did was very brave and testimony to your loyalty to the prince… but ultimately unnecessary." Aoshi's words were a slap in the face. "I hope you can learn from this experience so you do not needlessly put yourself at risk in the future. Part of being an effective member of the Guard is knowing your own weaknesses."

Her hands clenched and unclenched around the forgotten flower in her lap. "But I saved him. It happened just like the prophecy said. I even got hurt because I was stupid and forgot about the archer."

Misao wrapped a gentle arm around her shoulders. "Kaoru, Enishi probably set it up like that so you would think it really happened. The archer probably waited until he knew he had your attention before he shot. He wants everyone off guard for whatever he's planning now."

"No. It's not true. I almost died. I did die! Don't tell me it was for nothing, Misao. Don't tell me that." She pressed her fists to her mouth to hold back the bile rising in her throat.

"She said she tried to warn you. The messenger said she tried to send you a warning." Misao kneaded her lower back. Aoshi stood stonily before her, his face unreadable. Kaoru shuddered violently and collapsed against her friend.

The dreams.

She swallowed heavily and bowed her head. She could feel her wound pull and blood begin to ooze into the cloth of the robe. What a fool she was.

"I so sorry, Kaoru," Misao murmured. Kaoru shook her head. How could this be happening to her?

"Kaoru," Aoshi moved forward and placed a hand on her head, "please forgive me. Were my sources better, I might have been able to warn you before this happened. I am in debt to your family. I should not allow these things to happen."

"No. Don't blame yourself, Aoshi. I'm the only idiot here. I should have known. Of course they're all better than me. I should have known." She buried her face in Misao's shoulder and let her friend comfort her. The world wouldn't stop spinning around her. Her life, that had once been so simple, shattered with each tumble.

"Kaoru, you're bleeding." Misao pushed her upright and fumbled for one of the cloths on the bed. She tucked a hand down the back of the robe and pressed it to the oozing wound.

"I will call Ms. Takani back," Aoshi stated.

"Wait, Aoshi… What will happen now? I don't know what to do, my head is hurting too much to think."

He considered her a moment before speaking, "You must remain by his side. We are blind to Yukishiro's movements. You have already proven yourself once, I would like you to remain as you are. I will do my best to keep the Wolf off your scent. Please forgive me for doubting your intentions before."

She searched his face and nodded. She'd known Aoshi longer than she'd known Soujiro. He was distant and cold, but he was also loyal. He had never let her down in the few times they'd had to rely on each other. Looking back, the situations had always been silly. Her present troubles made those in the past desirable.

"I forgive you. The house of Shinimori is wise." Her smile was lopsided.

He nodded. "As is the house of Kamiya."

Perhaps the house was, but the youngest heir was not. She let the thought go. She would dwell on the mess she'd mired in later. Right now she just wanted to sleep.

"He's never told me why he owes your dad." Misao whispered as the tall man stalked to the door to find the doctor.

A faint grin tugged at her lips, "Lord Shinimori didn't approve of Aoshi's fascination with the underground or his apprenticeship with Okina. My father was the one who talked him out of disinheriting him. He even gave Aoshi a recommendation where his network would have a legitimate use." She watched the man at the door thoughtfully. "Father never told me before, but I guess he talked to king Hiko. I had no idea he was so close to the king. He never goes to court."

Misao sighed. "These men. They all have these deep, dark secrets." She nudged Kaoru, "Even you."

Kaoru blinked, "Did Aoshi tell you about the letter?"

"After a lot of persuasion." Her eyes danced mischievously, "I threatened to quit."

"Mou, Misao. That was cruel."

The spy snorted, "He deserved it for being so sneaky."

"What are you two whispering about?" Megumi swept back into the room. She cast a cool glance at Aoshi as she passed and flipped a lock of hair over her shoulder. Aoshi ignored her and motioned for Misao. After a quick hug and a promise to visit in the morning, the young spy trotted off.

Kaoru watched the ball of light dance out of the room and sighed. With friends around, the sadness was easier to keep at bay.

"Are you ready?" The doctor approached the bed and plucked the flower from Kaoru's hands. She'd forgotten it was there.

"Who gave you this?" Her tone slipped from curious to sly. "I didn't think that block of ice would be so forward. Doesn't he get enough entertainment from that noisy weasel?"

Kaoru frowned. "He was delivering it. Why? What is it?"

The doctor chuckled behind a hand and waved the limp flower before her face, "It's an Ai flower. Young men and women are supposed to give them to each other as an invitation," she arched an eyebrow suggestively. "If they're dried and powdered, they add a certain kick to the bedroom."

The doctor laughed as Kaoru's face tinged pink.

"Perhaps you should leave a few on the dear prince's pillow?"

"Mou!"

Kaoru continued to huff as Megumi tsked over her wound and helped her change into a new robe. Why would that crazy old woman send her a flower like this? Now that she looked at the creamy petals closer, she remembered seeing them a lot back at the village. And what Megumi had said about their aphrodisiac qualities reminded her of a few racy stories she'd heard whispered about in the taverns.

"Megumi?" a sudden thought occurred to her and she wanted to confirm her memory.

"Hmm?" The doctor was settling her into the bed so she wouldn't have to move after the spell.

"Don't these flowers make you sleepy?"

"Yes, it's an unfortunate side effect of the spice they cause. That's why they're not popular as an aphrodisiac. One go in a night isn't very romantic. Don't you agree, little raccoon?"

Kaoru blushed and ignored the light teasing. Instead, she glared at the innocent flower lying on her bedside table. The old hag was making fun of her. Trying to warn her about the fraudulent prophecy with dreams hadn't worked very successfully. Apparently she wasn't sleeping deep enough.

"The old pervert."

"What are you mumbling?" Megumi asked, already tracing the first lines of the spell into the skin of her back.

"Nothing. Megumi… I'm just really tired right now."

"Don't worry. After I'm through with this, you won't want to leave this bed for at least a day. Now that you aren't near death, I'll be using more of your energy than mine to fuel the spell. Think of it as a very intense healing sleep."

"Fine."

Megumi shrugged and continued her work. Kaoru closed her eyes and waited for the drowsiness to take her. She just wanted the day to disappear.

A/N: Wha-? The prophecy thwarted? Kaoru a pincushion for nothing? Well this sucks. And what's up with that Seer, huh? Just wait till next chapter when we get to meet our elusive fiancé, Tomoe. Things will really start getting weird.