Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ In These Final Hours ❯ Knowledge Brings Acceptance ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: ::solemnly:: Everything has a price… and I can't afford the rights to Kenshin.

In These Final Hours: Knowledge Brings Acceptance

Alternate Title: Just say "no" to Sano's tea

"Kaoru, are you almost ready?" Misao's voice was muffled by the door.

Kaoru winced as Tae dug a pin into her hair and called Misao into the room without moving her head. Another pin jabbed her scalp.

"Tae, please! I have to wear this all night. I'm going to have a headache before the guests arrive." She grouched.

The fatigue of Megumi's healing spell still lingered in stiff muscles and the slight shadows under her eyes. Tae had taken care of the shadows with a bit of powder, but the hot bath earlier hadn't been as successful with her back.

Misao slipped into the room and calmly walked to where Kaoru was perched in front of the vanity. Kaoru eyed her friend through the mirror. Misao did not walk. Prance, skip, jog, or even the occasional scurry, yes. Walk? No.

"I brought you some tea. It'll perk you up." Kaoru smiled. No wonder she was walking.

She accepted the cup and took a grateful sip. And coughed.

"Misao! What's in this?"

"Ms. Kaoru, your hair!" Tae lamented as pearls skittered across the vanity and floor.

"I'm sorry," Kaoru wheezed, "But Misao is trying to poison me!"

"I am not! Sano made it, not me! Why, what's wrong with it?" Misao peered over Kaoru's shoulder at the cup.

"It's… strong. And why did you let that idiot make me tea?"

"Well I was going to do it myself, but he said he could handle it."

"And you trusted him?!" She set the cup on the vanity and pushed it away, glowering. What did Sano hope to accomplish by getting her loopy before the ball?

"He said it would make you relax. I'm sorry, Kaoru. I didn't know." Her shoulders hung pitifully in the mirror.

Kaoru's eyes widened and she looked at the tea again. He wanted her to relax? In that case, maybe it was meant as a brotherly gift, fortification for her meeting tonight. The frown returned. But being relaxed meant her mouth could betray her. There were too many people counting on her for her to make any mistakes, and blurting to Kenshin that she was in love with him in front of his fiancé fell into that category. It was the category.

"Don't worry about it. Give the rooster a good kick for me, though. I'd do it myself, but I can barely breathe in this dress."

Tae tapped her lightly on the head. "That is the pride of my work, Ms. Kaoru. I told you not to eat so much for dinner."

Kaoru blushed and glared at her reflection in the mirror. The dress was Tae's best work, but Kaoru felt like she was on display. The neckline hung by a finger's width on her shoulders and swung low across her chest. From there the dress clung to her ribs and waist before falling into a loose skirt. The design was simple and smoky blue, but the second, gray dress made the creation shine. The sleeves hugged her arms down to the V's that covered the back of her hands and hooked around her middle fingers. From the shoulders, the fabric dipped below her shoulder blades to expose the high back of the blue dress. At the bottom of her ribs, the gray material swept in plunging arcs around her waist and met just below her bellybutton, held together by a large gray pearl. The skirt split down the front and flared aside like a drawn curtain to present the blue silk of the under-dress.

Stunning. That was the only word Kaoru could find for the ensemble. Another large pearl, set in a silver torque, rested in the hollow of her throat and smaller ones had been sewn into the intricate mess of plaits, twists, and sweeps that Tae had coaxed her hair into.

"You look great, Kaoru!" Misao approved.

"Thank you. Tae did all the work, though."

"But it wouldn't look special without a beautiful doll." Tae beamed and tucked a stray lock of hair into place. Kaoru wasn't sure if she was supposed to feel insulted by the careless remark or not. The beautiful part made her want to blush, but she didn't like being referred to as a doll. Even the most feminine parts of her personality rebelled.

Misao thumped her fist in her palm. "I remember what else I was supposed to tell you, now. The ball starts in another hour. Sanosuke said you should get Kenshin and go down there so you can greet the guests."

Kaoru examined a pearl that hadn't found its way into her hair. "Mmm."

"What was that? A yes?"

"… Mmm…"

"Tae, could I talk to Kaoru for a minute?"

Tae looked between the serious pair and nodded. "I should go see how things are in the kitchen."

She hastened from the room and slid the door closed gingerly. Misao waited until her soft footsteps faded away and then leaned against the vanity, bracing her hands against the edge.

"So what's up? You look like you want to bolt."

Kaoru stared at the wide-eyed woman in the mirror warily. She placed a cold hand to her chest and wondered if the reflection's heart was thudding just as hard against her ribs.

"I do. I haven't seen him since the other day."

"We told him you needed your rest."

"Thank you. But maybe I should have seen him before now. To adjust or something. I don't know, Misao, I just…" she closed her eyes and sucked a deep breath through her nose, releasing it slowly from her mouth. She shouldn't get hysterical.

"How're you dealing with everything?" Misao asked. Her green eyes were solemn.

"I still can't believe it," Kaoru admitted, "There was no reason for me to even come. Enishi probably destroyed it before I'd been here a day. How can a prophecy be destroyed?"

Misao blinked and shifted so she was leaning on a hip. "What do you mean?"

"I thought they were," she fumbled, "I don't know what I thought. That day, I really believed. It happened just like the old woman said it would. But it wasn't real and it will never happen."

"Takes a lot of weight off of your shoulders, though, doesn't it?" Misao prompted.

"Yes… and no. It was alright to lie to him before because I was doing it to protect him. But really there wasn't a prophecy at all. There was no excuse."

"Yeah, but you didn't know that at the time. You weren't wrong, Kaoru. How could you know Enishi would find the old seer?"

She watched emotions chase across her face in the mirror and tried to smile. The attempt was flat and ugly. Kaoru sighed, pushed back the stool from the vanity, and levered herself to her feet.

"You're right, Misao. I shouldn't worry about it. And now I'm here because Sano and Aoshi are forcing me. Let them get in trouble if someone finds out."

"Exactly! Let Sano and Lord Aoshi deal with it! Oh, wai-HEY! Why are you getting my Lord Aoshi in trouble?!"

Kaoru stared at the fuming girl in surprise. Something inside of her cracked. Warmth spread through her chest and itched at her lungs and throat. She tried to choke the feeling down, but it burst from her mouth in soaring ripples.

Misao's anger melted into astonishment and then relief. "Kaoru, you're laughing!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------

The wood of the door was ancient and brooding. The whorls looked like distorted faces and animals chasing each other. Kaoru thought the one by the doorknob resembled the king swigging a glass of wine. She frowned at the image. The king would be attending the ball. That meant she would have to talk to him. Of course, she could avoid that unpleasantness by skirting the ball. And the longer she stood indecisively in front of Kenshin's door, the more appealing that thought became.

No. This was her duty. Prophecy or not, she had pledged to be the escort to the prince. Tonight she would set aside her feelings and shutter her mind. Kaoru would disappear and the Escort would surface. Hopefully she could warp Kenshin into the Prince. He would entertain his fiancé and she would play the dutiful chaperone to make sure their secret was kept safe. And somehow she would last the evening without shattering.

She rapped the door, "Kenshin, are you ready to go downstairs?" She forced her tone light.

"Just a moment, please." He sounded garbled even for the door between them. When he stepped out, he was tugging at the ends of his shirt. His vest hung lopsidedly over it. Kaoru rolled her eyes and moved forward to help.

"Why can't men dress themselves?" She brushed the fabric straight over his shoulders and favored him with a frown.

Kenshin chuckled. "I apologize, Ms. Kaoru. I spilled tea on my other shirt and had to change."

Her eyebrow twitched. "Tea?"

"Yes. Sanosuke brought me some earlier, but it was… strong." He trailed off and his eyes wandered past her face.

She sighed. "I choked on mine and Tae had to put all the pearls back in my hair." She pointed an annoyed finger at her head.

Kenshin's eyes rounded. "Why would Sanosuke give you tea like that?"

"Probably because I'm scared to death." The words dropped from her mouth and she froze.

"What do you have to be scared about?" He laughed and offered her his arm.

Kaoru hesitated and looped her own through it. She forced her muscles to rest against his naturally. It was surprisingly easy to forget her sadness when she was around him. Then, it was also so easy to remember.

"Well, I get to meet your fiancé tonight," that was at least the surface of the trouble, "I'm worried I'll make a fool of myself."

"I'm sure Tomoe will love you. She is the kindest person I know."

The warmth of his smile when he said his fiancé's name chilled her. Yes, Tomoe would surely love her. Even if he didn't.

"Well, that makes me feel better." She wondered why he couldn't see the agony on her face. Her mother's court mask wasn't going to waste, at least.

Tonight that mask was her lifeline. Kaoru would cower and shiver with tears, but Lady Seta would shine with grace and gentile poise. She had never been more grateful for the Game.

"You look wonderful tonight, Ms. Kaoru."

"Thank you, Kenshin, so do you."

Salvation was often a product of irony.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------

Laughter and music mingled in the high dome of the West Tower ballroom. The party was small, but people still managed to make the huge, gold-veined marble room feel cramped. The prince's attendance had been last minute, but enough nobles had heard to push the attendance above what the room could comfortably hold. Still, it had been too late to clean and prepare the larger ballroom in time, so the guests had to make do.

This resulted in a large demand of chilled wine and the palace servers scurried through the mass of wealth to meet the demand.

"How can you put up with these bubble heads?" Kaoru cooed behind her glass. Despite the stuffiness, she hadn't done more than feign a sip.

"They mean well, that they do."

"Mou, Kenshin, that woman just asked if you would 'slip away somewhere' with her. They do not mean well."

His eyes squinted even harder with the force of his smile. "… Mm. Perhaps you are right, Ms. Kaoru."

She nodded and placed her glass on a passing tray. The server glared at her. She glared back.

"Enjoying yourself, Ugly?" He muttered.

"Why did they let someone so little attend the guests?" she puzzled aloud, "I'm surprised you haven't been stepped on yet."

Yahiko opened his mouth to retort when the prince tugged at her elbow. "Shall we dance?"

She took the cue and spared her bratty friend a last glare before turning to meet her partner. Yahiko thrust his chin up at her and melted back into the swell of silks and jewels.

Kenshin shook his head and chuckled as he led her onto the dance floor. "You have a very interesting relationship with him."

"I don't know that I'd call it 'interesting.' 'Abusive' seems like a better word," she muttered and gazed over his shoulder at the crowd.

There were currently seven nobles, six of whom were women, vying for the prince's attention. She'd discouraged the girl in green and lace earlier in the evening, and the woman in diamonds had been deterred by her husband. That left five active pursuers. She was keeping a hawk's eye on each one.

"Who are you glaring at now?" He dipped her in the next turn of the music and she came up breathless.

"Just your buzzards. They're circling."

He laughed and the nearest couples turned startled faces to them. She blushed and ducked her head from the attention. She liked being able to make him laugh so freely, but she was supposed to be the escort. Just the escort.

"Excuse me, but may I cut in?" A soft voice jerked her head over her shoulder.

The woman was painted in grays and creams. Her face was solemn and regal, but a hint of warmth ghosted in her dark eyes. She gave the impression of a mourning swan gliding across a winter lake when the skies hung low and somber. Her eyes dripped closed as she curtsied.

Kaoru stared. Words died in her mouth as she tried to find something to break the lag in time. The other couples blurred into slow rhythms and the music faded in her ears. Who was this woman with such an overwhelming presence?

"Tomoe," Kenshin breathed.

Kaoru blinked as the spell she'd fallen into snapped and left her senses reeling.

"Kenshin," the woman returned and her mouth curved like a flower petal. Kaoru took in a surprised breath at the simple beauty of the smile and the scent of white plum blossoms flooded her.

Her heart stopped beating.

"Let's find somewhere for you two to talk." She grasped Kenshin by the wrist and dragged him across the dance floor to the far side of the room. He protested in his quiet way, but followed her lead. She paused when they reached a door that led to a balcony and looked back. Tomoe drifted after them with her hands folded before her. The crowd parted for her like a curtain of silks and jewels. The contrast between her simple dress and unadorned neck and hands, and the gaudy display of wealth surrounding her only heightened her beauty. Simplicity robed her in grace.

"Here, I'll let you catch up for awhile," she slipped a smile onto her mask as she addressed the couple. Kenshin nodded his thanks and extended a hand to Tomoe. She folded her own into his grasp and they moved beyond her onto the balcony. Kaoru turned away and stood in the chilled shadows of the ballroom, watching the glamour before her and ignoring the perfection behind her.

"Tsk, tsk. Why can that sow have a moment with the prince, but I was denied?"

Kaoru snapped her attention to her left and frowned at the beautiful young man approaching her. He'd been hounding Kenshin all evening despite her subtle, and later not subtle, rebuffs.

"She is a family friend, my Lord, and has traveled from Nobu specifically to visit with my Lord Prince." Her voice chipped at the other man like ice. He shrugged it off and moved closer to her. His wine glass dangled from his fingers like another one of his ruby rings.

"Since we are essentially partners in love, you may call me Kamatari," his grin was infectious, and Kaoru was too entrenched in the Game to ignore the harmless flirting.

"Lord Kamatari, you do me too much justice," she murmured, "I'm afraid I do not know what you mean."

Even his snort was elegant, "I think it is obvious that your position is important to you for more than one reason. And like draw to like, they say."

"Sir, you insult me," she snapped.

He chuckled and waved a reproving finger above the rim of his glass. "There's no need to be touchy, girl. Only a fool wouldn't be attracted to our beloved prince, especially with that impressive head of hair. It evokes the most deliciously sinful curiosities, don't you think?"

Now she was genuinely puzzled. "Pardon?"

He giggled, "Never mind. I think you really are as innocent as you look." She frowned at that, but he continued before she could protest. "At least you have the sense to know when you are outclassed. And from the look of that lovely dove he just snuck off with, I think every lady here falls short."

Her eyes narrowed and her feet widened their stance in defense. "Excluding yourself, of course."

He winked, "Of course. I'm more woman than the lot of you simply by the accident of being a man."

"Interesting logic."

"And from an interesting, and certainly dashing, young man." His eyes danced as he flashed a dimple.

Despite herself, Kaoru was starting to like the presumptuous twerp. "Is it impolite to say that you're beginning to give me a headache?"

He snickered, "Not at all. That's the kindest insult I've had all evening." He raked a curious eye over her, "So now that we're better acquainted and you are familiar with my charm, may I see the prince?"
"No."

He placed a wounded hand to his heart. "Ooh, such a wicked tongue for such a pretty mouth. But I think I respect you, so I'll abide by your decision." He swept her a mocking bow.

Kaoru ignored propriety for a moment and stuck her tongue out at him. He laughed and caught her hand for a kiss.

"You are a delight, Lady Seta. I hope our battle for love is not lost. You are a worthy adversary."

"I'm not a Lady." She reminded him.

"And I don't misspeak. I hope you enjoy the rest of the evening. Save me a dance and maybe we can swap battle tactics." He gave her one last grin and strutted back to the dance floor. Kaoru rolled her eyes, but an itch to smile tugged at her lips.

The humor died when she caught a dark figure striding toward her out of the corner of her eye. So much for getting through the evening unscathed.

"Don't you have a job to do, girl?" The king muttered.

"The prince is with Lady Yukishiro." She glanced over her shoulder toward the balcony. His head turned to follow her gaze and he grunted.

"Don't make me repeat myself. Did that idiot rooster not tell you the specifics for this evening? You're supposed to keep them from looking like a couple."

She scowled at him. "They're just talking."

"Alone, away from the party."

"He hasn't seen her for a long time! I thought I was being compassionate." She stressed the last word. Insulting the king outright was never a good idea. That didn't exclude insulting him in a roundabout fashion, though.

His dark eyes flashed on her face. "Watch yourself, girl. I find you less tiresome than most of the fools here, but that doesn't say much."

"I didn't presume it did." She snapped back and caught herself. There was a line and she was dangerously close. She mumbled an apology and curtsied.

"Send him back in. He's had his time to fawn over the Yukishiro brat. He needs to remember his other duties."

Kaoru raised her head in surprise. "You don't like her?"

He glanced at her and took a generous gulp from his wine goblet. It was substantially larger than the rest of the guests' glasses, she noted.

"I didn't say that. I don't like their relationship," he clarified, "Too many complications."

His words clicked. "You mean her brother."

"Yes, among other things."

"Like what?" She bit her lip as the question escaped but didn't retract it. She was being nosy, but he seemed like he was in a talkative mood and she was curious.

He pinned her with his dark gaze and she started to sweat under the scrutiny. After a long moment his mouth twitched and he turned his face to the ballroom.

"I think my idiot son is settling for something less. He should know better."

She frowned. "But I thought they were in love."

"They are." He affirmed with a solemn nod of his head.

She rolled her eyes. "I don't think I understand, Your Majesty."

"Neither do they. I can't believe I raised such a stupid son. He must have gotten it from his mother."

Love makes one defensive. And Kaoru had a notoriously short temper.

"How dare you say that of him? He's a wonderful person. And if he has any shortcomings, how do you know they didn't come from you?"

Hiko turned to her again and stared at her. She felt the blood drain from her face. She'd just mortally insulted the king on several counts. But if she backed down now, she would be admitting her words were unfounded. She struggled to keep her gaze firm and level.

"You really are presumptuous." He pointed out in a deliberate tone.

She swallowed and nodded.

"I approve of you, Lady Kaoru. Remember that."

His cape swirled over one shoulder as he stalked back among his guests.

Kaoru released the breath she held and her shoulders slumped. He didn't seem like the type to hold off punishment, so she didn't think she had to worry about later repercussions for her rudeness. And his last comment had sounded suspiciously like a compliment. Her brows puckered in confusion. She'd insulted him and received a compliment in return. That didn't make sense in any definition of the word "right."

"Mou." She muttered of men at large. They were more trouble than they were worth.

His order rang in her ears again and she sighed. Time to pry the lovebirds apart.

"Excuse me," she announced herself as she stepped onto the balcony.

Kenshin smiled at her over his shoulder. They were standing side by side at the balcony and looking out over the kingdom. Close, but not touching, she noted. They were probably wary of being caught.

"The King requests you return to the ballroom." She curtsied politely.

His mouth curved down in a half-pout. "Was he very rude to you, Ms. Kaoru?"

She blinked and straightened out of her bow, "No. Well, not any more than usual," she amended.

He nodded, "Good." He turned to his fiancé and smiled at her. She smiled back. Then he turned away and walked to Kaoru. She glowered at him as he approached.

"Oro? Is something wrong?"

She kept her voice low, "Wasn't that a bit cold? She is your fiancé. Shouldn't you have kissed her, or something?"

From his expression it didn't look like the idea had even occurred to him. He glanced over his shoulder at the woman still gazing from the balcony and his gaze turned thoughtful. A vice gripped her heart as he started to walk back to her and she grabbed his arm.

"It's too late now, you'll look silly," she hissed and propelled him to the door. The advice was true, but she also didn't think she could stand to watch them embrace in front of her.

"Orooo." He muttered as he allowed himself to be steered.

"Don't take that tone with me, Prince," she clipped as they reached the arch that crossed back into the palace. She realized then how firm his arm was under her grip and drew back like his skin was burning her hand through his shirt. He noticed the sudden movement and paused at the doorway.

"Ms. Kaoru, are you feeling alright?" The question wasn't unexpected from her actions, but she still felt flustered.

"I'm fine. I just shouldn't be so personable with you. It's not appropriate." And it wasn't doing anything for her resolve.

"You seem to be avoiding me since the night I told you Tomoe would be coming." He observed. She forced herself to meet his gaze and held her breath. Perhaps he was more observant than she'd given him credit for.

"You spent too much time worrying over me," she protested, "I didn't want you getting in trouble because you were ignoring more important things."

His head tilted and his eyes narrowed, "Why do you think you're not important? My Lord father gave me permission to look after you when I asked. You are a special woman, Ms. Kaoru."

Her heart was cramping in her chest. Why did he have to ruin things by being so sweet? If she didn't shut him up soon, she was going to break down and spill her soul at his feet in the vain hope that he could or would accept the pitiful offering.

"I know, because I'm the escort." She tried. She ached for him to deny her words, to reveal a hidden longing that he couldn't quell any longer. At the same time, Tomoe's presence brooded over conscience. She wouldn't read too far into words when the proof of their simplicity stood only a few yards away. She was the escort.

"Yes," he nodded and his bangs shaded his eyes, "Because you are the escort."

The goddamn escort.

She hated the title with every shaking breath wrenching from her lungs.

"Good. I'm glad you louts recognize how much you need me." She said briskly and pointed a stern finger to the door. "Now get in there and entertain your guests or I'll be in trouble with your Lord father."

He raised his head and stared at her incredulously. She felt the hairs of her arms prickle at the intensity of the blue-edged gaze.

"Kenshin?" She managed. She hadn't meant to offend him. She was just worried about crumbling into dust at his feet if she didn't get away from him soon.

His eyes flicked to Tomoe and he looked rueful. She glanced at the pale woman watching them in confusion before her thoughts snapped the situation together. She lightly knocked the side of her head at her own insensitivity.

"Mou, how silly of me. I'll stay here and keep Lady Yukishiro company," she assured him. Despite their relationship, she was still curious about what Tomoe was like.

His eyes lit with surprise and he shook his head with a chuckle. "Thank you," he murmured and strode into the ballroom.

Kaoru's head turned as she followed his prowling movements and she let go a small sigh. Then, gathering what was left of the defenses he'd shredded, she turned back to face his fiancé.

She smiled at the older woman as she joined her at the balcony and offered a respectful curtsey.

"I am very glad to meet you, Lady Yukishiro. Everyone praises you here, I feel like I already know you."

"You're in love with my fiancé."

She made a mental amendment. They had failed to mention that she was coldly blunt.

"I'm not sure what you mean." She stuttered as her face flared with heat.

The other woman continued to gaze at her flatly before her face lightened a little. "But you hide it from him well. Thank you."

Whatever Kaoru had expected, it hadn't been that. "Um… you're welcome?"

"I'm sure the others have told you about his weaknesses," she set her words down with careful deliberation, "And you have set aside your own feelings despite the temptation I'm sure that knowledge presented."

Kaoru frowned, "I don't want the relationship that would happen because of that." She paused before plunging forward. Tomoe, she felt, was the right person to reveal the extent of her situation to, despite the irony.

"I love him, but I know he loves you. I don't want to trap him. He would be so unhappy." Her head bowed so she was left staring at the pearl at her waist. It glowed dimly in the moonlight. Her breath caught when she felt a warm hand on her shoulder.

"Please do not think I am angry with you, Ms. Seta. I am a little jealous sometimes, that is all. Will you forgive my rudeness?"

Kaoru's mouth hung open as her eyes widened in surprise. Kenshin's fiancé was asking for her forgiveness for being jealous? Her jaw clicked shut and a defeated smile spread across her face.

"There is nothing to forgive. You are as kind as everyone has said. I am happy for him."

Tomoe smiled then and Kaoru melted under the beauty of it. She did not seem like a woman who wasted her expressions on just anyone.

"My brother," the older woman went on, "Allow me to apologize for him, as well. He is not a bad person, but my fiancé seems to bring out the worst in him."

Kaoru's frown was skeptical, but she accepted the apology. It was more a formality and a wish on Tomoe's part to distance herself from the act than actual plea for forgiveness.

"Why does he hate Kenshin so much?" She asked and then blanched, "If you don't mind my asking, of course."

Tomoe inclined her head and turned her gaze back to the dark hills and plains of the countryside.

"My father was a good man, but misguided by his power and attended court more often than his holding. He left the raising of my brother and me to our mother, and she was not strong enough to deal with the responsibility of running a large manor and two small children. Enishi was only five years old when she killed herself. When we found her bleeding in the tub she told us she it was because she 'wasn't happy.' The shock took him to his bed for almost a week and bleached his hair white."

Kaoru gripped the edge of balcony with pale knuckles as Tomoe continued. This was not what she had expected.

"I became his mother then, and he has clung to me as such ever since that day. He is desperately afraid of my unhappiness. I think he fears I might leave him just as our mother did. So when my childhood love was killed by the Battousai, he vowed to avenge me. But he was still young and I beat him to the game."

She turned to Kaoru, "Did Kenshin tell you I tried to kill him?"

Kaoru blinked and shook her head mutely. He'd said she'd revealed her original intentions. He'd never mentioned any violence.

A ghost of a smile touched her lips, "I was so angry with him for making me fall in love with him. I felt like I was betraying my dear Akira. Of course, I had no chance against his skill, though I managed to cross the long scar on his face. He was very gentle with me and forgave me before I could even explain why I had tried. When I did, he looked more disgusted with himself than I could ever be with him."

She looked at her hands then where they curled around the marble ledge of the balcony.

"I told him that he owed me his life. He didn't get angry like I thought he would. Instead he asked me if he could keep it until he found a way to atone for his crimes as an assassin. I remember feeling so defeated when he said that. There was no reason to hate him and every reason to love him. He had only been following orders, just as Akira had."

She turned her hands over and cupped them together.

"So I struck a bargain with him. If he could find his answer, I would forgive him and return his life to him. He would know because the scar on his face would begin to fade. It took him several years, and we stayed close through them. When I finally tried to hand him back his life, he told me he would be more happy if I kept it."

Her hands cradled each other against her chest and she stared past the night as the memory washed over her.

"We've done much for each other. I helped him in every way I could to help him find peace, and at the same time he helped heal the wound I carried. He showed me it was possible to fall in love again and that doing so wasn't a betrayal of what I'd had with Akira."

Kaoru watched Tomoe with tears brimming in her eyes. She really was a fool. Her strength was nothing compared to the woman who was standing next to her.

Her feet moved of their own accord as she wrapped her arms around Tomoe and hugged her close.

"Forgive me for being so selfish," she begged, "You are the better woman for him. I hope you two will be happy together. You have my word that I will never do anything to jeopardize what you have."

Tomoe stiffened in surprise before her arms folded her gently. She murmured soothing nothings to her as Kaoru let the tears of the past day and evening wash from her. She cried not only for herself but for Kenshin's pain and the lonely fate of the woman who had had so much taken from her in her life. Kaoru felt a swell of hope within her that she could be half as strong as Tomoe someday.

"You are a sweet girl, Ms. Seta," Tomoe said as she pulled back and offered the younger girl a handkerchief. Kaoru took it gratefully and dabbed at her eyes to keep from further ruining the powder Tae had put on her face.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have cried." She muttered. That was all she seemed to be doing lately and she wasn't prone to blubbering.

"Kenshin said you have been under a lot of stress lately. And I know hiding your feelings can't be easy." Tomoe sympathized quietly.

"No." Her laugh sounded more like a sob. "But I am learning. I will protect what you two have." She promised as she gathered her scattered dignity back around her.

Tomoe shook her head slightly, "You are strange. Most young women would be plotting to break us apart."

Kaoru blinked and shrugged self consciously, "I can fight better than most, but I am not as strong as my friends. I know when to back down from a fight."

Tomoe held a hand to her mouth and Kaoru suspected she was trying not to laugh at her. She smiled ruefully. Her analogy did speak a lot about her headstrong personality, after all.

"Um…"

Kenshin's voice startled them from their conversation and they turned to face him with equal disapproval.

"This is a women's only conversation," Kaoru informed him and Tomoe nodded her agreement.

The red head's paled a little, but his eyes didn't stop from flicking worriedly to Kaoru's face. She wondered why for a moment when she clapped her hands to her puffy cheeks. Even from his distance and with the dim lighting, it was obvious that she had been crying.

"Is everything alright?" He ventured and took a tentative step toward them.

"We are fine, Kenshin." Tomoe assured him.

His mouth tugged down a little before he sighed and chuckled. He knew when to back down as well.

"I was worried you might be getting tired, Ms. Kaoru." He folded his hands into the billowy sleeves of his shirt and planted himself where he stood.

She started to protest, but felt a yawn bubble in the back of her throat at the same time. She held it back stubbornly, but took her body's hint.

"I am, a little," she admitted.

"We will retire from the ball, then." He nodded, "Tomorrow we will be traveling to Nishimoto again to complete the treaty. A messenger arrived just a few hours ago and their king is anxious about the delay."

Kaoru scowled. Never mind that their party had been ambushed and the prince had almost been assassinated a few days ago. Well, at least it had been made to look that way. In any case, that was far more important than a week delay in forming a treaty.

"Why are you becoming allies with such an insensitive country?" She grouched.

"Perhaps because they might be insensitive enough to try war without a treaty." Tomoe suggested.

Kaoru nodded thoughtfully, but shook her head, "No, it is definitely because he wants to force his daughter on Kenshin."

"Oro."

She jabbed a finger at him, "Don't you 'oro' me. You know that's exactly why they want you there." She turned confidentially to Tomoe. "Don't worry, I'll make sure nothing happens. I'll protect him physically from any princess's if I have to."

"Do you think they will be so desperate?" She seemed genuinely curious.

"They might. Look how much trouble he stirs up in his own country." She turned a scowl on him and he backed away a step.

"I don't think-"

"Oh admit it, Kenshin, you're a heart breaker!"

She closed her mouth sharply on the comment. It had slipped out before she had time to think about it, but she'd wounded herself with the carelessness. She turned to Tomoe and gave her a too-bright smile.

"Well, I'll give you a full report when we get back." She was so tired of forcing herself to be cheerful.

Tomoe embraced her again and Kaoru could feel the gentle sympathy in her arms.

"I will wait. Good night, Ms. Seta."

"Kaoru," she insisted.

She was graced with another smile, "I'm glad to have met you, Kaoru."

"Me too," her voice was maybe a little too emphatic, but she masked it by spinning away and marching across the balcony toward the palace.

"I will walk Ms. Kaoru to her room and then I will return," Kenshin promised his fiancé.

Kaoru flung her hands in the air in disgust, "You will not! You are going to stay right here and apologize to her for running off to another country the moment she gets here."

"Oro."

Kaoru felt a little bit of sympathy for him as she swept under the arch and all but ran to her room. His expression was so helpless. He'd been looking so forward to their meeting, but he hadn't counted on them teaming up against him.

Men were so naive.

Then, so was she. But at least now she knew his heart was in good hands, and that eased the ache in her own enough to keep from crying herself to sleep.

A/N: Ah, I just love court intrigue and drama. The delights of saying what you mean without actually saying what you mean, and all that. Do we like Tomoe? She's a pretty cool chick in my book and I always hate that she gets such a bad rap in most fics. And… Kamatari is wonderfully dirty. Not sure I got his character completely nailed, but I had fun anyway ^_^ Until next chapter…