Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Crescent Mirror ❯ Chapter 2: Uncoverings ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Crescent Mirror

Author: aaeris17

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: Obviously, I don't own Sailor Moon or else I wouldn't be writing fan fiction for free…Anything not pertaining to Sailor Moon however my creative input is and belongs to me! Enjoy!

Author's Notes: Wow!! Chapter two!! I am so excited to see the story finally being posted!! :-D I apologize for the lack of action so far-I'm still trying to set the characters and settings. I promise there will be more Sere-Endy stuff and less of Selenity and Apollo!! Anyways, thank you ALL for reviewing…sniff….it makes me so happy to know that people are actually reading my story!!

Thank You:

A special thanks goes out to my readers at FF.net!! I love you guys for always reviewing and encouraging me to continue!!

Brunnetmoment25: Thank you for taking the extra time to email me even though the site doesn't let you write anonymous reviews!! Yea!! I hope you like this chapter!

Silver Moonlight Maiden: Thank you! I love hearing that people are enjoying the story!

Lady Tristana Rogue: Just for YOU I am trying to hurry up and post a chapter a week! ;)

Crystal Jade: The compliments are making me blush!

Greengrapes: *Bows* Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I hope this chapter lives up to your compliments!

AND…..ANOTHER SPECIAL THANKS to Andrea and George at A Sailor Moon Romance for accepting my story and fulfilling one of my dreams to be accepted to the site!

Moondrop16: My FIRST ASMR critique!! I feel SUPER special!! Thank you!!

**************Chapter Two***************

************** ***************

"Will the emergency meeting of the Luster Royal Senate please come to order?" a loud voice boomed from an elevated platform as he banged his gavel, "Scribe, please began,"

A young man furiously started recording the words of the Lord Chancellor. The Lord Chancellor was a middle aged man, well built, and stern. He wore his shoulder length black hair in a low ponytail at the nape of his neck. His blue eyes rarely twinkled and he looked rather upset at the paper lying in front of him.

"Herby, I present to the Senate a proposition received late yesterday from the Wraith Kingdom," he began as a muttering of voices was heard at the mention of the Wraith Kingdom, "Their Royal Majesties have been invited to dine with the recently wed royal couple, King Pharaoh and his second Queen, Nehelenia,"

An outrage of voices was heard at the mention of both names. The Lord Chancellor allowed the members of the Senate to calm down before he cleared his throat and continues, "It seems that the Wraith kingdom is proposing a new era of friendship and wants to begin by renewing old acquaintances," he slowly drew out the word acquaintances, "I now open the table for discussion,"

Quickly, dozens of bells were heard as the members of the Senate demanded to be the first speak. The Lord scanned the small gathering of intellectual elites and nodded to the first bell he had heard, "I recognize Lord Hermes of the Mercurious

Kingdom,"

Lord Hermes was a very quiet man whose presence ought to have been overlooked were it not for the genius aura that radiated around him. All voices quieted and turned around the table to hear what the dark blue hair man had to say.

"I am sure that I am not the first to say that an alliance with the Wraith Kingdom may not be in our best interests," he slowly began as voices murmured in agreement. "However, we cannot ignore this request. To ignore this request might as well be a declaration of war. If we do not appease them this one time, and show that we are cautiously trusting them, we might risk another Shadow war," Lord Hermes gestured another the table, "My lords and ladies, I think our best option is to see what the Wraith kingdom wants,"

Fists pounded the mahogany table in outrage. Voices of dissent immediately drowned out Hermes. Lord Chancellor's eyes turned dark and he pounded his gavel several times, "Order!! I will have ORDER!!" he yelled several times trying to get everyone to quiet down.

"If war is the result of safety, than war we shall have!!" A particularly fiery voice was heard above the dim. Eyes turned to see a dark haired man with violet eyes that burned with anger.

"Count Ares, you WILL hold your tongue!!" the Lord Chancellor barked viciously at the tall man.

Count Ares held his stance, "I will NOT do such a thing when the VERY substance of this kingdom is at stake!! To send the Royalties to such a dinner is MURDER!! I will not be part of TREASON!!"

"DO YOU CALL THE LORD CHANCELLOR A TRAITOR?!" Another voice bellowed even louder than Count Ares.

Eyes turned around the table to see a much larger man standing up and holding his fist out to the Count, "Mark my words Ares, if you fail to keep your temper, I will not hesitate in removing thy tongue!" The Duke of Jovian shook his fist angrily as the Duchess struggled to pull him back into his seat.

"THERE WILL BE SILENCE!!!" A man cried from behind the congregation of Royal Senators.

A hush fell silently over the room as Sir Lawrence and Artemis strode angrily into the room. They walked up and stood on either side of the Lord Chancellor whose anger was getting the best of him.

"Would anyone care to listen to the facts before we accuse an innocent of treason?" Artemis coolly questioned the gathering. Not a sound could be heard in the doomed room as Lawrence quickly gathered papers together and took the Lord Chancellor's position at the podium.

"Let us try this one more time," Lawrence joked coldly as he began his presentation.

Outside the Room….

I pressed my ear to the door and heard nothing. I scowled and turned to my first cousin, Mina. She could be my twin with her blonde hair and blue eyes. She held her ear to the open end of a glass and pressed the closed end to the door. She shook her head in agreement.

"I cannot hear a single WORD Daddy is saying," she complained.

"That's because Lawrence took over," I replied as we sulked by the closed door.

"Pooh on ol' Artemis and Lawrence for having to go in and ruin all the fun!" Mina sulked and flounced her dress as she sat down.

"I have never seen your dad that mad!!" I giggled and pulled Mina up off the floor.

Mina laughed in response, "I know!! I would have loved to see that vein in his forehead bulge out as he screamed at Count Ares!" Mina looked at the glass in her hand, "This certainly did not work!" She examined it as if staring at it would make it tell her how to use it.

"That's because you have to put the hollow end on the door dim bulbs," a voice sarcastically commented.

"Endy, go away," I sneered and pulled Mina along. Mina stared as if she wanted to say something, "Mina, COME ON!!"

"Yeah Mina…come on!!" Endy mocked me and made a face at Mina. Mina's nose twitched and a dark look came upon her face. Before I could stop her, she snatched her hand away from mine and lunged at Endy.

"Oomph!" Endy cried as Mina tackled him and brought him to the floor with a marvelous thud followed by an ear shattering crash as the two bodies kicked a stand holding some crystal vase. I saw Endy pulling Mina's bow out of her hair and I joined in the fight-both Mina and I taking turns holding Endy down.

Inside the Senatorial Room

An ear shattering crash broke the repertoire with which the Senators had been listening to Sir Lawrence with. Thuds were heard against the walls at random places, finally a heavy thudding was heard on the door. Artemis sighed and walked down the dais to answer the knocking. Upon opening the door, a trio of battered children rolled in, screaming and yelling.

The Lord Chancellor's face deepened an unflattering red, "Mina Aphrodite!!" He screamed at his little girl who immediately recognized that tone in his voice. Guilty, she immediately rolled off of Endy and Sere.

"Serenity!!" Another loud voice boomed with undertones that meant business. I loosened my grip on Endy for one second and was rewarded with a clean fist to my mouth.

"ENDYMION!!" Lawrence roared and I felt a wail rising in me out of the shock as blood quickly flowed from my split lips. Deftly Artemis scooped me up and we flew out of the room.

"Sere shhhhhh, now come on, lemme see your mouth child," Artemis cooed as he shifted me from his right arm to his left to inspect the damage. I whimpered and opened my paining mouth. Artemis gently moved past my bruised lips and quickly scanned all my teeth, "Thank god, all there," he muttered as we ran through the corridors. I wailed again, still in shock.

By this time, we had arrived in the room where Mama was holding court with some of her ladies and Papa's figure could be seen in the far distance. Mama fairly jumped out of her seat and ran up to us.

"Artemis!! What in the world has happened?!" Mama lifted her arms for me and I clung to her as she placed one of her embroidered silk handkerchiefs to my mouth. I sobbed into it and noticed she did not care if any blood splattered her sky blue gown.

Quietly Luna handed Artemis another embroidered handkerchief. Gratefully, he accepted it and gave her a knowing look, "Milady, I do not know the half of it. One second she and Miss Mina are playing outside the Chamber and room and the next, the little ladies and Endy came barreling into the chamber!" Artemis sighed.

"That will do Artemis, ladies," Mama quickly dismissed everyone in the room. Papa and the men looked over at the departing ladies and took in my crying body in Mama's arms. Papa quietly sent the men away and he strode over to us.

"Sele?" He asked worried, but, a quick look from Mama sent him scurrying after Artemis. Probably to fix the scandal now erupted in the Senators' chamber. Mama politely accepted an icepack for my swollen mouth from a maid. Her face was had a dark shadow that I knew was more than worry. She set me upon the table.

Silence passed for a few moments and she offered no words of comfort.

"I'm thorry," I apologized through the ice pack. Mama's face softened but I had seen that look before on Luna's face. The look of frustration and disappointment.

"Serenity darling, I know that you are sorry and that you do not mean to do any harm," she smoothed out my hair and pushed my bangs off my head, "But, my lovely girl, just less than a day ago we scolded you for the same behavior, and had your word that you would learn to behave," she looked deeply into my eyes.

I couldn't bear to see her look at me so reproachfully.

"You are my daughter, and as such, a lady, and just as importantly, a Princess," she cupped my face in her hands, "Sweetheart, do not forget that you represent all of us, and as darling of a git you are…please refrain from bloody brawls…especially when we have company," Mama did not smile when she said this. My heart fell heavily to my stomach. Mama had always laughed whenever I was brought in. For the first time in my life, Mama had chastised me. There would be no laughter from her now on when it came to such matters.

I felt my eyes brimming with tears and her face fell and she held me close, "Come child, let's go clean you up," she sweetly whispered. She helped me off the table and held my hand as we walked upstairs. I walked two steps for every one of her graceful strides. I looked up to her and wondered if I would ever be like her. My beautiful idol, my mama, I sighed inwardly.

Luna met us at the top of the staircases, towel in hand and arms akimbo.

"Nine o'clock has come and passed," Luna informed as she fell in step with Mama and I.

"Aye, Luna, the children have found the meeting of the Senate more engaging than studying it seems," Mama softly replied as we walked in trio to the bath chambers.

"I see," Luna said nothing more as she walked to the low tub and turned the silver handles. Warm water filled the marble basin and I silently slipped out of my dress and shift. One look from Luna told me to go into the water and I lowered myself, eyes still stinging from tears unshed. Luna and Mama spoke softly to one and other. I could not hear what they said, nor did I want to. Prolly complaining about me. Yet, my child ears could not help trying to eavesdrop on their quiet conversation.

"Milady, not her!!" Luna frightfully murmured. Mama nodded and said something along the lines of, "….cannot be helped,"

I strained hard as I dumped water over my head-pretending to be fascinated by my bath.

"I will not stand for it!" Luna crowed a little loudly. Mama gently hushed her,

"I have to go to her, Luna; she is, after all, my sister,"

"Half, Selenity, half. Only YOU are the true heir," Luna proudly replied forgetting her tone.

My eyes bulged wide and I whipped myself around to face them. Before I could open my mouth, Luna, as quick as the cat she is, applied soap to my face and I found myself choking on soap suds with my mind reeling.

A sister? Half sister?? What in Gods names are Mama and Luna talking about-rather WHO? I made the usual protestations at the washing but my mind was working. If Mama had a sister, even half of one, she was still my aunt-right? And what IS a half sister? How does one have one half of a sister?

My thoughts continued as Luna quickly towel-dried me.

"Being awfully quiet, aren't we?" Luna tickled. I giggled in return and that seemed to satisfy her for the moment, "Do not worry about your mum's words, darling, she has a lot on her mind,"

"Like a sister?" That slipped out before I could catch it. Luna's expert hands froze and I stood still.

"What have your big ears been hearing, Sere?" Luna cautiously turned me to face her.

"Nufin," I mumbled as she resumed toweling me off.

"Don't play dumb with me, missy, I know everything that goes on in this castle…EVERYTHING," Luna purred into my ear.

I threw Luna a look, "I know nothing that nobody ain't tell me,"

Luna tugged especially hard on my hair, "Ain't is not a word you lady, and we are heading directly to school after that comment,"

"Luna!!" I whined.

"I see no grapes, there is no wine," Luna bitingly pulled clothes over my head.

I popped my head out and stared her straight in the face, "Luna, what's a half sister?" I asked innocently enough. Blue eyes matching violet.

"Off with you now!!" Luna playfully shoved away my question. I tugged at her skirt.

"You won't rid of me that easily!!" I teased and clung to her skirts.

"Oh yes I will," she laughed, "Time for schooling with Artemis," she teased as she took a brush to my hair.

"No, not him," I complained. Luna smiled at me in the mirror-she was victorious. If there was one thing Artemis had no time for, it was questions.

Minutes later in the Royal Library…

"From this day forth, both of you will be here from nine in the morn to early eve," Artemis greeted our gloomy faces. Endy sat on the opposite end of a long mahogany table with Artemis standing in the center, "This is our sanctuary of wisdom and I do not need to stress-WILL BE treated as so," He held a riding rod in his right hand. Haha, he would never have the guts to strike either one of us.

A sharp SNAP made me jump in my seat.

"As I was saying," Artemis continued and both Endy and I stared wide-eyed at the now silent riding whip. Artemis's eyes twinkled slightly at our wide-eyes, "Lady Luna and myself have been charged with preparing the two of you for your destinies (whatever that may be!) And we will use all measures to ensure that no one fails," Artemis was treating his duties like we were part of the army. I swallowed a groan and fidgeted slightly to accustom myself to the hard backed chair. At least the seat was comfy-due to the extra pillows I needed to see above the table. "Lessons will be given daily on the following subjects, arithmetic, history, writing, diplomatic strategy, language, fencing, riding, painting, and of course, magic. More specialized lessons will be given separately to each of you: Serenity shall learn singing, and embroidery as well as dance-Luna shall specialize in those and I shall focus more on training Endymion as a Royal Knight," Artemis outlined his plans and my heart sank. Sewing? Singing? Who needed those? Luna silently walked in and caught my sad eyes. She whispered something quickly to Artemis who gave her a rather annoyed look. Both looked at me and Endy with Artemis firmly shaking his head, no. I slumped in my chair. This was the end of my childhood. More so, it was the end of my life.

"We shall being today's lessons with basic writing. Lady Luna shall help Serenity and I shall be helping Endymion," Artemis passed Luna some thin books for me. Luna came over and sat diagonal from me, sliding the leather bound books towards me. I opened one and saw an alphabet primer with simple exercises. I dipped the quill into the ink bottle and slowly started etching my imitation of the letters on lined paper. Luna silently steadied my hand and guided me in forming the cursive letters. She said nothing as we practiced the exercise over and over and over again.

When I felt my hand couldn't take any more, Luna paused and took the papers from me. She sprinkled drying powder on them and smiled approvingly. I could not return her smile.

Selenity watched Sere practice forming her letters and she felt the now all too familiar stab of pain. Her little girl was going to be growing up from now on and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Selenity could sense Sere's utter disappointment with her lessons. She did not want to be a young princess-she was better suited for Endy's lessons. Selenity sighed. She could not interfere in these matters. One day Sere will be Queen and for those days, she needed these lessons now.

"Very good, Princess," Luna whispered and put the papers aside, "Can you tell me what this word is?" She pointed to the next lesson in the primer. I leaned over and stared at the words. I knew my alphabet and could read and write my name. I crinkled my nose, "Sound out the letters,"

"C-c-c-a-a-t," I stretched, and a realization came over me, "Cat!!" I cried. Luna grinned and pointed to the next word, "M-m-m-at!! Mat!" I read on to the next word, "B-bat! R-r-r-rat! S-s-at!" I clapped my hands as I went to the next line, "T-t-th-the cat s-at o-o-n-n-on t-th-the r-rat!!" I read. Luna embraced me tightly.

"That was marvelous!! How did you know that??" Luna squealed. I blushed and pointed at Endy who was being forced to read larger books.

"Endy showed me," I whispered.

Luna shot a surprised look to Artemis and Endy. Endy blushed and buried himself in his book. Artemis and Luna shared a look before Luna turned back to me.

"That is wonderful, let's keep going! You have such a brilliant mind, Sere, don't waste it!" Luna encouraged.

I smiled and for the first time in my life, I saw what I was doing as something fun-for now.

* * *

Wraith Kingdom

"Damnit girl!" Nehelenia slapped Beryl across the face, "If you cannot do it properly the first time, and do not do it at all!!"

Beryl raised a shaky hand to her pale cheek. She bit back harsh, salty tears. "I'm sorry,"

SLAP!! "I'm sorry-"Nehelenia prompted. Beryl squeezed the pain out of her eyes and stood up tall.

"I am sorry for displeasing you, Mother, I will try harder next time," Beryl politely spit out.

Nehelenia's face softened, "There's a good daughter. Now once more, show me your curtsy to the queen. If things go well my darling Beryl, you might be allowed a playmate to the little Princess,"

Beryl elaborately swept into a deep curtsy and shyly introduced herself, for the thousandth time. Her cheeks were becoming a nice pink from her beatings. She had experienced worse before her father's remarriage. Far worse and far more brutal and twisted. Her lonely six years had hardened her quickly.

Nehelenia planted a cool kiss on Beryl's bowed head, "Splendid darling, now, go run out and enjoy yourself!" She acted as if she had just spent an hour at tea.

"At once, madam," Beryl flourished the curtsy again and quickly sped out of the room as she heard her father's approaching footsteps.

Nehelenia seductively turned to greet her husband's approaching figure, "Good day, my King," she whispered as she lipped her lips.

The King savored the look of his wife before returning to more, pressing business, "I have received an answer from your royal sister," he flourished a silver letter with gold embossing.

"Half," she muttered before pouncing on the letter, "That nit wit of a Queen is actually coming! Hah! Who thought she would see blood such as ours so important that she would defy logic!" Nehelenia cackled loudly and kissed her husband. He rose a wine goblet.

"A toast to victory, my fair Queen," he boasted handing her a glass. She clinked glasses and while he eagerly gulped his, she threw hers aside. She never accepted a glass she hadn't poured herself. She saw her reflection in the mirror,

"My dreams are only beginning to come true," she whispered in glee to her reflection. It smiled back at her and bowed its head.

* * *

"You did WHAT?!" Apollo bellowed. Even Artemis had to twinge a little. Selenity flipped her hair back-an annoying habit she had maintained from childhood.

"I answered the invitation based on your demands," Selenity checked them off on her fingers, "Sir Lawrence and Lady Gaia come, the Royal Guards come in disguise, and that the Senate vote on it. Tis not my failure if the Senate broke out in chaos," Selenity stood proudly.

"Selenity," Apollo muttered in frustration, "You are NOT handling this properly," he patiently explained.

"Properly? As if there is a way to treat this invitation with decorum?" Selenity shot back.

"Sele," Lady Gaia placed a hand softly on Selenity's shoulder, "Apollo…" she reproached.

The two Royals turned their backs toward each other. Sir Lawrence stepped forward to Apollo. He whispered something quietly and the two men seemed to agree upon it. Lady Gaia made soothing noises and Selenity turned around. Wordlessly, the couple embraced and murmured loving apologies.

Artemis smiled and felt a twinge of longing. Feeling he could leave unnoticed, he slipped away from the Royal Family wing and managed to find himself outside of Serenity's apartments. The door still open revealed a drowsy girl complaining she wasn't tired and a young women silently closing a story book and pulling covers to Sere's neck. A gentle kiss on the forehead lulled the girl to silence. Artemis heard a sigh and realized to late that the sigh was his own. Luna's sharp ears picked it up and for a moment the two pairs of eyes met in darkness. Artemis bowed appropriately and left before anything could be said. Violet eyes once bright were shimmering with little tears unshed over a man she loved and would not love her back.

After Artemis's silent departure, Sir Lawrence led his wife out of the room. His strong arm hugged her snuggly around the waist. She leaned on him, drawing strength from his love.

"I do not see good things," Sir Lawrence broke the silence of the halls. He felt his wife sigh sadly.

"No, I do not see anything good either," she agreed. One look at her proved that though her words were in agreement with his-she spoke of something a world away.

"Gaia," he huskily began. Her sapphire eyes held him steady. In her eyes, he saw a world of thoughts and emotions and one thing stood above all the rest, love.

"Setsuna once said time was precious," Gaia began and pulled a tiny satchel from within the folds of her dress, "and as a gift, she once granted me this,"

Lawrence's eyes marveled at the dazzle of the little seed shaped crystals. He knew what they meant.

"You made a wow, ten years ago," he began, "and I will hold you to it," Lawrence kissed her forehead in hopes of hiding his tears.

"Until the end of time," she replied, "and beyond,"

* * *

The next morning, I rose early, with the sun, to an all too familiar knocking on my door. A secret code that always spelled trouble, I grinned. I slipped on my breeches and tunic and hurried to leave my room. Outside I saw Endy and Mina waiting for me. Mina, the little lady, already dolled up, and Endy, a matching picture of me. With the Royal Senate in session, the exploits of the Devilish Duo could increase a thousand fold with the addition of very close friends. Mina was always the first to join in on the mischief. The mischief at hand today was to persuade the others to join in. But first, I had made a special request to Mina.

"Got the info?" I whispered as the three of us tiptoed around. Mina nodded and slipped a piece of parchment to Endy. He quietly read out loud,

"Half-sister (noun): A sibling who shares a single parent; a sister of half blood," Endy handed the paper over to me. I looked at Mina's scrawl and questioned her.

"You sure?"

"Completely! That's what the dicshioary said," Mina pouted.

"Quiet you two! If that's what the DICTIONARY said, Sere, then that's what it is. Now we gotta find out who the Queen's half sister is!" Endy reminded us.

"Well…who do we know that has that sorta information?" I wondered out loud as I munched on toast that Endy happily supplied. Mina's face lit up and at the same time both of us exclaimed, "AMI!!"

"SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!" Endy tweaked my ponytail, "Lord, do you want to awaken the ENTIRE castle to your bellowing?"

I threw a crust at him which he easily avoided. Mina put her hands on her waist and impatiently tapped her foot, "Well? Let's go wake Ami!" Mina scurried off towards the Guest Houses. Endy shrugged and ran after her-not wanting to be out done, I immediately leaped after them.

With the lightness of feet that only years of misbehavior can produce, the three of us ran out of the Palace and into the courtyard. The grass crunched beneath our feet and my slippers were quickly soaked with the early morning dew. To the South I could see the Knights training grounds began stirring. Each knight leaving his on grounds cottage to began the dawn combat training. I could even faintly hear Lawrence and Artemis call orders from their bullhorns. To the east was the ballroom and main verandahs, both of which overlooked the Labyrinth. And straight ahead of us, in the west, were the Royal Guest Houses for each of the Major kingdoms in the Silver Alliance.

Each house rose from the green like magnificent castles out of the fog. The houses were all built of marble like the castle and engraved with the crests of each kingdom. Primarily was the House of Mercurious, Ami's house. Etched on the doorway and above the landing were the navy blue shields of the household, trimmed with bright gold. Ami's crest depicted a pale blue background with strong blue currents pouring out from the palest blue clouds. Almost like a scary waterfall, I observed.

"Well?" Endy asked as we paused a few yards from the house. We were in a bit of a bind. We couldn't very well walk up to the house, stroll right in, and demand to see the Princess Ami. Royal guards would be over us so fast we wouldn't know what hit us.

I kicked a stone and got a rather non-brilliant idea. I picked up a few pebbles and threw them at Mina who giggled. She was about to start heaving them when Endy grabbed her golden arm.

"You don't know if that's her window!" He hissed. Mina pouted.

"Well neither do you!!" I snapped back and stared at the house. As courteous as Ami's parents were, I did not think an early wake up call would bode well. I started to walk around the house; if I were Ami, where would my room face? I looked around my surroundings again, the south would hold no interest to Ami, the west looked out to the village beyond the Palace walls, and, of course!! The East! Ami would much rather look at the Crescent Mirror and the labyrinth rather than training grounds and villages.

Without warning I headed around the house to find the windows where our little genius was no doubt sleeping. A large bay window with a window seat caught my eye immediately. Carefully, I threw the small white pebbles at the blue curtain drawn window.

Plink! Plink! Endy and Mina had joined in on my musical. Our pebbles made tinkering noises against the crystal windows. In the blink of an eye, two sure hands yanked the curtains apart and a tousle headed girl with aqua hair stared out at us. She wore her wire-rim glasses that were far too large for her face and frowned ever so slightly. I knew Ami too well to think that she was much displeased with our early morning visitation. She carefully opened a side window and leaned out.

"Only you Sere would bother waking anyone before standard hours," she chimed good morning.

I bowed to her words and grinned, "Up and at `em, Ami. There is much work to be done!"

Ami giggled preciously, "Mischief and work are not synonyms; I see you two have already contracted Mina into this," she acknowledged.

Mina shook her head, "I'm always game, Ami!! It's you we need to contract! Come on! The early bird doesn't throw stones at glass houses!"

Endy and I both stared at her. There was something not quite right with our bubbly friend. Ami looked like she wanted to correct Mina but thought better of it.

"I'll be right down!" Ami called and once again drew the curtains.

"How is she going to get out?" I wondered out loud.

"Maybe she's going to climb," Mina answered. Endy burst out laughing.

"Nah, I think she's just walking out the front door," he pointed, "You girls really are silly,"

Ami, primed and ready for work, was slowly walking out the front door with a satchel full of what can only be assumed as books. Her glasses teetered on the edge of her nose and when she turned to face us, I saw more books in her arms. Sheesh, how does she expect us to GET anywhere, forget actually getting stuff accomplished. Endy rushed forward to lift books away from her. She blushed furiously and that angered me. For goodness sakes!! He wasn't anyone special!! Just Endy. I went up to Ami and took the rest of the books. Endy wasn't the only one who could be nice. Behind her back I stuck my tongue out at him. He made a rude face back. Mina skipped ahead of us-holding one arm of Ami's leather satchel. The satchel full of books swung between them as we walked back to the Palace.

"Honestly Ami, these books are a ton of bricks!" Mina declared as she started puffing.

I groaned in agreement, "We are going to hafta slow down, Ames. I don't know how you managed to carry these!"

Endy laughed, "Sissies," he jeered walking a head of us. I snorted and quickly kicked a small tree branch into his path. Instantly he tripped and landed on the soft grass, already warming from the early morning sun. The grass lessened his fall but the books did not appreciate it as much. Endy rolled over and moaned, clutching his ribs.

"Well, I see that Endy has already put the books to good use," Ami quietly teased. Mina and I burst into giggles seeing that Endy did not have the good sense to let go of the books before he clumsily fell on top of them.

Endy hurriedly picked himself up, "Shut up before I make you Sere!" He threatened as he picked up the books. I laughed right in his face, growing taunt with anger.

"Make me!" I sang playfully and joined Ami and Mina in another fit of giggles as we hurried away from a thoroughly enraged Endy.

"He's going to get you for that later," Mina warned solemnly. I shrugged my shoulders.

"He can't. He'll get in BIG trouble if he does ANYTHING," I explained as we headed towards the Gardens.

"Well Sere, keep your guard up," Ami advised as we settled down outside the entrance to the Labyrinth.

"Ami, you worry too much!!" I smiled at our overly tense friend. It was Ami's turn to shrug her pale blue shoulders as she laid out books in front of us.

"One day Sere, one day," she muttered. A shadow fell over us.

"Endy, grow up," Mina sighed as she lay down on the grass. Her thick blonde hair made a delightful pillow. Endy scowled menacingly before handing Ami her slightly grass stained books.

"What are those anyways?" He asked, fully ignoring me and Mina. Sometimes I feel that Endy hates being around giggly girls, like Mina. Girls from Court always disturb him. He once complained he hates all that curtsy and dance junk. He would rather just joust or fence with a girl any day. I think he likes girls like Ami-they aren't silly or anything. Just really smart. I could be smart, I thought to myself, I wanna be smart like Ami!

"Well, from what I've gathered from father, and from Mina, I can make a few fair assumptions," Ami began as she opened the old leather tomes.

We all hushed up and peered over her books. I saw a bunch of lines with cursive names and little shields.

"These books contain every single member of the Luster Kingdom, going back as far as written history. Every relative you have Sere, is in one of these books. Simply put, here is your family heritage, your family tree. The books follow both the maternal and paternal lineage, which makes things quite difficult, but these diagrams are quite simple," Ami explained, "Each little picture is the family crest of that particular person and a line drawn from a crest to another crest indicates a marriage between the two individuals. The line coming down from that line indicates the children of that marriage. However, there have been cases where a couple has had children outside a marriage. Those relationships are indicated by a wavy line and the children are dashed lines. When a king OR queen," Ami emphasized for Endy's sake, "had other children without their spouse, the children are not royal children and do not have the birthright," Ami paused and looked around.

Mina held a look of scrutiny on her face as her finger traced the relationships. Endy looked deep in concentration. Ami's dark eyes locked with mine and I nodded. So far, it seemed to make enough sense. If you didn't have Royal parents, you don't get to be a Royal.

"So with only one royal parent, the child only has half of the parents that the royal children have. So the children are half-siblings," Ami started again. Ahh, so the half parent's kids must be,

"Half royals," I muttered out loud. I felt my face turn red and I stupidly clamped my hand over my mouth. Endy snickered slightly but a reproachful glance from Ami stopped him.

"Exactly, Sere, half royals. What we have in our particular case, guys, is a similar issue. Queen Selenity had no siblings, but her father, the King, had another child, a girl. The girl in question is Queen Selenity's half sister, and the reason we were all called to the High Kingdom,"

"Nehelenia," Mina muttered knowingly.

"Precisely," Ami chirped and opened another book upon the first one, "these books have all the backgrounds of the Royals and the story of Nehelenia's birth. To put it plainly, your grandpapa was tricked by an evil elf and the result was your aunt-well, half aunt. She is horrible to the core and your mama and she never ever got along-on the few occasions they met. Your grandpapa made sure that your aunt was securely and richly placed away. She was given the title of Princess but never Her Royal Highness and was written out of the will. She always wanted to be Queen and she never could be. She's convinced that your mama stole her birthright and that's why we are all having problems," Ami concluded sadly.

"And now she married this guy, Lord Pharaoh, and is the new Queen of the Wraith Kingdom," Mina added knowingly, "Daddy and all the other Senators are greatly upset with it. Nehelenia apparently had tried to hurt Queen Selenity and now wants to everything blood under the bridge,"

"Blood is right Mina," Endy interrupted, "There is much bad blood and Father says that nothing good can come of Nehelenia's wanting to be friends with the Queen," Endy looked for affirmation in Ami and Mina. The three of them nodded solemnly.

"What is so terrible about her?" I broke the silence, "What did they do that's so terrible?"

Three faces turned aghast with their mouths wide open.

"You don't know, Sere?" Mina whispered as she sat up. Ami looked to frightened to say anything.

I snickered, "Of course not! Now tell me!" I slapped my hand on the book. Endy cleared his throat. Apparently he was to be the acknowledged speaker.

"When we started school yesterday, Artemis immediately wanted me to start History. He says that if you want to know your enemies, you need to know their past actions first. So, I started reading, but the founding of the kingdoms was really boring. I picked up the most recent one and started reading about the Shadow War," Endy paused.

"Shadow wars? What were those?" I asked. Endy twisted a blade of grass between his thumbs and blew an un-earthly whistle. Ami crinkled her nose at the sound while Mina immediately tried doing the same thing herself.

"A part of the past that no one wants to talk about," Endy quietly stared off into the sky.

"Why?" I pushed further. I had no time for this silly nonsense. A shadow rose above me and covered all our books.

"Some shadows are better left in the shadows young lady," a tight voice responded, "There are things that only the shadows hide best,"

**************************************************************** ************************************

Hahahahaha!! My first cliffhanger, not a good one, but enough to hopefully bring you readers back for Chapter 3!!

Please REVIEW or EMAIL me at aaeris17@yahoo.com