Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytale Princess ❯ The Cat Is Out Of The Bag... ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Sailor Moon. Would I be writing fanfics if I did?

--------------------

The soft movement of the carriage eventually lulled Serena into a land of dreams. What she saw however, was anything but happy.

She saw everyone around her dying painful deaths. She watched on helplessly as someone drove a gleaming sword through her father's stomach, as Rini screamed. Raye, Lita, Mina and Amy fell one by one around her, their lifeless eyes staring back at her from the ground on which they had fallen. The scene changed to show her mother hanging from a chain as something slashed at her body repeatedly. Serena could feel the tears in her eyes as she watched the village and the castle burn.

Suddenly everything went black and Serena looked down to find her hands covered in blood.

'This is what will happen if we fail,' something, or someone, whispered through the darkness. Serena was about to ask what they meant when she was shaken awake. Her cornflower blues snapped open to see Molly staring down at her.

"Are you okay, your highness? You were shaking and crying in your sleep," she asked, concern staining her tone. Serena shook her head as she wiped at her eyes.

"No, I'm fine. Just a bad dream," she said reassuringly. The other girls were looking at her until they gave up and returned to speaking with one another. Rini was looking out the window as they approached the castle, while Serena was in thought.

'What was that all about?' she wondered. She could have sworn she recognised that voice, but it was so fleeting that she hadn't heard it correctly. Shaking her head once again, Serena found that they had arrived back at the castle. She pushed the dream aside as the girls exited the carriage, one by one. Molly apologised for leaving, saying she had work that she should have been getting on with, and went her own way. Rini had bounded off to find Artemis and show him her dress, leaving the others to themselves.

Serena excused herself and began making her way to her chamber, package in hand. As she was walking, she noticed Nephrite up ahead of her. Hiking up her skirt, she quickly ran to catch up with him.

"Nephrite," she called, making the brunette general stop and turn. He smiled lightly as she came up beside him. "How did the fittings go?"

Nephrite's brow furrowed momentarily before he responded.

"Just fine, your highness. I trust you girls found what you were looking for?" he replied, gesturing to the package in her arms. She nodded ecstatically. The pair walked in silence for a moment as Nephrite thought back to the fittings. Endymion had been acting rather strange the entire time. He had said very little to any of them, unless absolutely necessary and he had seemed almost impatient. The brunette man had just chalked it up to missing Serena, but something else was nagging at his mind. Something he couldn't quite grasp hold of.

When he eventually came from his thoughts, he realised Serena was speaking to him.

"...Greeting the dignitaries from Neptune, Uranus and Saturn later on," she finished.

"What?" he asked stupidly. Serena eyed him for a moment.

"Are you okay? You seem to be a little out of it at the moment," she asked. He just waved her off, saying that he was just nervous about tonight. Serena didn't really buy it but figured that if it were important, he'd tell her.

"I was just saying that later on, the girls and I have to greet the dignitaries arriving from Neptune, Uranus and Saturn," she repeated. Nephrite nodded. As they walked past a hallway, Nephrite noticed Endymion walking the other way. He excused himself from Serena's side, before heading off after his prince.

Serena waved a goodbye to Nephrite and continued to her chamber. Before she could enter, however, Luna came rushing up.

"What is it Luna?" she asked the panting woman.

"The final preparations for the banquet haven't been finished," she cried almost hysterically.

"Such as?" Serena asked after a moment. Luna answered while the pair entered Serena's room.

"We still need to organise someone to dance with you. Remember? The hostess dances first?!" she almost yelled. Serena managed to calm the worried woman down before speaking again.

"That's fine. I'll just ask Endymion to do it. He knows the dance I prepared anyway," she shrugged. Luna paled slightly before hastily protesting.

"But your highness, isn't he attending with Lady Giana?" she asked slyly. Serena simply nodded.

"I'm sure he won't mind. I'll go ask him now," she said, heading for the door. Luna jumped up and grabbed her arm.

"Actually I was hoping you would dance with one of his generals," she said. Serena looked at her in confusion before she elaborated. "It just helps to show that you are accepting of all the Earthlings. Not just the prince," she persuaded. Serena thought about it for a moment before agreeing. It did make sense.

"Good idea Luna. I'll have to go and speak with them then," she said. Luna breathed a silent sigh of relief. She really didn't want to be the one to explain to her highness why Endymion wouldn't be dancing with her. She bowed lightly to Serena before wishing her a good day and leaving. Once she was back in the kitchens, she let her shoulder slump. She really thought she should tell the princess about her prince, but she just couldn't bring herself to hurt the girl.

With a shake of her head, Luna then got back to her work.

--------------------

Nephrite, meanwhile, had caught up with Endymion and the pair were slowly heading towards the training room. They walked in silence for a moment before Endymion said something that made Nephrite almost leap for joy.

"I'm going to ask her to marry me," he said. The brown haired general smiled to himself before replying.

"Well I think she would make an excellent queen," he said, thinking back to when Serena had dealt with Luna and the other servants. She had the patience of a queen, but everything else was her. Her ideas weren't bent on gaining more land or expanding and empire, but rather improving and utilising what they already have. And she doesn't follow others orders. Well not any more. And Nephrite knew she made Endymion happy which was the cherry on the top for him.

"When are you going to ask her?" Nephrite added.

"Tonight, during the banquet," Nephrite almost choked at the response. That was definitely earlier than he had expected. But then again, Endymion always had been impulsive.

"I wish you luck, my friend. Not that I think you'll need it," Nephrite said, winking at the prince. For the first time that day, he actually smiled. The two men finally walked through the training room doors to find Lita sparring with none other than Jadeite. And he was getting beaten. Badly.

"Ha!" Lita called triumphantly as she floored Jadeite once again. She pointed her sword at his throat.

"Do you yield?" she asked. He paled slightly before nodding.

"Yes. I yield," he said. Lita then dropped her sword and helped him up. He rubbed his backside a few times while wincing.

"I told you, you shouldn't underestimate a woman. Especially me," Lita said as he walked, awkwardly, over to the others. Jadeite took a seat and let out a breath. Nephrite just laughed.

"That's twice in two days you've been knocked on your ass Jadeite. And both by women. First Serena with the dancing, and now Lita in sword fighting. Man you are losing your touch," he said. The blonde haired man just glared at Nephrite in reply.

"So who wants be knocked on their ass next?" Lita asked swinging her sword lightly by her side. Nephrite was about to volunteer when Endymion beat him to it.

"I'll bite. Although I think it will be you being 'knocked on your ass' this time," he said smugly, drawing his own sword. Lita sent him a sly smirk before they began.

Lita and Endymion danced around each other for a moment before the brown haired woman lunged at the prince. He parried quite easily but was still taken back by her strength. She was right. Under estimating this woman could be deadly. He ducked as she took a swipe at his head and slipped around behind her. Lita was quick though. She whirled around, dragging her foot along to try and floor the unsuspecting prince. What she didn't count on was his speed.

He flipped over her with the greatest of ease. He then spun and dug his foot into the scouts back. She flew forward a little before connecting harshly with the floor. Lita groaned as she jumped to her feet, sword in hand. That kick had hurt. And had a lot more force behind it than she would have expected. This time it was Endymion who lunged first. His attack however hit the mark and knocked Lita's sword from her hand. She flipped back onto her hands before jumping away from him.

Nephrite watched the exchange with worried eyes. That kick had been a low blow. Especially for Endymion. He knew exactly how to disarm someone without touching them, so why was he using force to do it instead?

Endymion squatted and swung his leg out and swiped Lita's out from under her as she landed. She was quick to respond however, and rolled out of the path of his lowering sword. She got back to her feet and tried getting around Endymion before he grabbed her wrist. He twisted it and forced the woman to the ground as a she cried out.

Both Nephrite and Jadeite were quick to respond to that cry. They grabbed one of Endymion's arms each and managed to pry him away from Lita. The sailor scout of Jupiter sat still for a moment as the two men released Endymion. He sheathed his sword before turning back to Lita.

"I apologise. I got a little carried away," he said, although he said it without any hint of actual remorse in his voice. Lita nodded and before anyone could speak, the prince was gone. All three of them stared after him. Lita looked down at her wrist and noticed the faint purple beginning to mark her skin. His strength had shocked her. Sure she had assumed he was strong, but that was almost unnatural. Breaking her wrist would have been like snapping a twig for him just then.

Nephrite offered Lita his hand, which she gladly took, and helped her to her feet. He looked over her wrist before saying that it should just bruise.

"Nothings been broken or sprained so you should be fine," he said. Lita just nodded before looking at the door.

"Did either of you guys think that was weird? I never thought he'd be one to harm a woman," Lita mused as she powered down. Nephrite nodded while Jadeite spoke.

"Yeah. Endymion has always said that he'd never hurt a woman, no matter her status or what she did. His parents didn't raise him that way," he said, thinking back to when Endymion had beaten a man from Earth when he hit a young girl. After they had thoroughly scolded him, he had told them that hitting a woman was something he just couldn't stomach. Or do for that matter. Obviously that had suddenly changed.

"And yet he handled Lita like she was nothing more than a rag," Nephrite added. The three of them stayed silent before Lita spoke. Growled is more like it actually.

"If he lays a hand on Serena like that, I'll make sure he never touches anything, let alone a woman, ever again. And having kids will be completely out of the question," she said angrily, clenching her other hand. Even without being in her scout form, Jadeite and Nephrite had to admit Lita was scary as hell.

After a few more moments, Lita excused herself to go in search of Raye, Mina and Amy. She at least had to tell the other scouts what had happened. Especially if there was a possibility that Endymion could hurt Serena. They were her protectors after all and what good would they be if he hit Serena?

The only thing that had bothered Lita more so than his sudden surge in strength, was his reaction to it all. Sure he had been a cold bastard when they had first met, but being with Serena, he had warmed up a bit. Even treating them like friends. Yet when he had apologised, it had been empty. She even doubted if he'd actually been sorry for it.

Shaking her head, Lita focused on her task. She needed to find the girls.

And find them she did. They were in the main hall, overseeing the last of the decorations as Lita entered. She made her way over and told each of them that she needed to speak with them privately. They nodded and followed her out into the gardens.

--------------------

Serena, meanwhile, had dropped off her dress and was now down in the kitchens. She was just doing the last checks of the menu and such when Luna approached her.

"Your highness, it's nice to see you," she said with a bright smile. Serena returned it as one of the cooks showed her the dessert. She looked it over before smiling.

"Its perfect," she said. The cook smiled before turning back to his work.

"So have you spoken with one of the generals yet, your highness?" Luna asked as the two of them began heading from the kitchen. Serena shook her head.

"Not yet. I just wanted to make sure that everything was ready down here first," she replied. Luna nodded. The princess and the dark haired woman walked in silence for a while until they made their way out into the gardens.

"I really do love these gardens," Serena said, running a finger over one of the flowers on a nearby bush. Luna looked around until she heard voices coming from the other side of the hedge they were currently behind. She and Serena crept a little close and recognised the voices as the Sailor Scouts.

She was about to turn away when something one of them said caught her attention.

--------------------

"I think Endymion may be dangerous," Lita said. The girls looked confused for a moment before she showed them her wrist. "He did that to me before in the training room." Amy immediately went to check it over but Lita said that Nephrite had taken care of it.

"Was it an accident?" Mina asked. Lita shook her head.

"I think that if Jadeite and Nephrite hadn't stopped him, he might have broken it," she replied. "The really weird thing was that he didn't even seem sorry for it," she added. They other three women looked taken back by this.

"Why would he want to hurt you?" Amy asked more of herself than the others.

"I don't know. But Nephrite said that Endymion said he could never hit a woman, no matter what she did," Lita said. Everyone was silent for a moment before Raye noticed the odd look on Mina's face.

"What is it Mina?" she asked the blonde. Mina was a little hesitant to answer but decided she might as well put it out there.

"Her second night here, I went to see how Serena was settling in. She asked me to help her change and when I did, I found some rather nasty looking bruises on her back," she explained. "She said she had fallen on some stairs the day before she came here, but she showed no sign of pain the following day. I think she got them the day she came here. Which means he was around when she would have gotten them."

The others were silent until someone else spoke.

"It wasn't his fault," Serena said, coming from around the hedge. The girl's eyes widened. "I poured water on him so I deserved what I got." Luna stayed hidden as the princess spoke.

"But Serena, look what he did to Lita's wrist!" Raye exclaimed, holding out Lita's arm for her inspection.

"And she didn't do anything to him," Mina added. Serena shook her head.

"He must have just been too caught up in the fighting," Serena said.

"Serena get a grip! He didn't even feel sorry for what he did," Lita almost yelled at the girl. "And what about you?! He did give you those bruises didn't he?"

"I told you that wasn't his fault!" Serena yelled back, tears beginning to prickle at her eyes.

"He is dangerous Serena. You have to stay away from him until we can figure out what is going on!" Raye said loudly.

"Why?! I love him. How can you expect me to ignore him? Or act like he doesn't exist?!" Serena replied hotly.

"This is for your own good. You're the princess and we have to protect you," Amy added.

"Then I don't want to be the princess any more!" Serena yelled before turning and running off. Lita and Raye were about to run after her when Mina stopped them.

"What are you doing?" they asked in unison.

"She needs to be alone right now. And she is right," she said. "Serena loves him, and he her. How can we expect to keep them apart?" Raye and Lita looked down for a moment before Luna stepped out and spoke.

"He's not as faithful as you may think," she said, deciding it was time to tell the scouts of what she knew.

"What do you mean?" Amy said. Luna looked guilty for a moment before she spoke again.

"Molly came to me and said she saw Endymion kissing that Lady Giana," she said. "Molly told me that he said he loved her."

"When?" Mina asked.

"Yesterday," Luna almost whispered. All of the girl's eyes widened at that.

"That bastard! That rat bastard!" Raye said, clenching her fists. "How dare he cheat on her like that?!" Each of the girls were having similar thoughts. All except Mina.

'But their marks. Artemis told me Endymion had a mark like Serena. They're meant for each other. Why is he doing this?' she thought to herself.

--------------------

Serena ran blindly through the halls of the palace as tears began to blur her vision. She needed to see Endymion. Now.

Turning a corner, she ran straight into somebody. Looking up, she came face to face with her father. His eyes widened when he saw the tears and Serena buried her head into his chest, clutching on to him for dear life.

The older man moved into a nearby room with the sobbing blonde and closed the door behind them. Artemis vaguely noted that they were in somebody's bedroom before he sat Serena down on the bed.

"What happened?" he asked, wiping some of the tears from her cheeks. Serena tearfully recounted the conversation with the scouts to her father. Artemis listened intently, occasionally nodding his head as she spoke. Some of what she said did make him a little angry, like her bruises and such, but he kept quiet.

"So I said that I didn't want to be the princess any more," Serena finished, wiping her eyes. Artemis remained quiet as his own anger began brooding. He hugged Serena as she calmed down.

"I just know that Endymion would never hurt me. He told me he loved me and that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me," she said into his shirt. "He's not dangerous," she added.

"I believe that he does love you Serena. I don't know if he would ever hurt you, but I do know he loves you," Artemis said, trying to comfort the girl. She nodded and was quiet for a moment, until Artemis realised that she had fallen asleep.

Laying her back against the bed, he turned to leave the room. He went and found Molly in the kitchens.

"I need to go back to the village. Can you tell Serenity that, if she asks, I will be back for the banquet but there is something in the village I have to take care of," he asked. She nodded and with that Artemis left the palace.

Everything was wrong. He had felt his mistresses spell break, which could mean only one thing. Nehelenia was free. And that was definitely bad news.

-------------------