Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Return Home! ❯ Queen and King Return ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Raye stood solemnly in her ceremonial robes within the Celestial Temple. She carried the bowl of fresh cherry blossom and placed it upon a stone stand just behind and between Serena and Darien. Raye lit scented candles and incense. She stood with tears upon her cheeks in her priestess's white robes, with her red pants tied at the waist by a white bow. She stood before the lifeless figures of King Endymion and Neo-Queen Serenity crying silently. She stood head bowed with her eyes closed. Raye's delicate hands were folded pharaoh like across her breasts, and her long raven black hair concealed her violet eyes as she prayed to Amaterasu the Japanese Sun Goddess to guide the spirits of her beloved friends across the starry skies to the afterlife.

"Serena, I love you so much, you're like a sister to me and more than that ... you're part of me, and a true friend and guide ... all those years ago when we first met, I used to tease you a lot, and you know I never ever meant any of it to hurt you ... 'cause meatball head, you were the best friend in the world, I could talk to you and you would take time to listen. I am going to miss you so much my dearest friend!" Raye leaned forward and touched Serena’s hands that were folded across her chest, and then she broke down completely.

Luna stood in the doorway silently watching the girl's heart that like her own had shattered; she then stepped up quietly and put her arm about the young priestess's waist. Raye placed her head upon Luna’s shoulder, and they both sobbed their hearts out.

"Oh! ... Serena! My little princess of the Moon and Crystal Kingdoms, there is a hole in our hearts so vast it shall never be filled ... I remember the day you rescued me from those cruel schoolboys who put that band aid over my crescent moon markings and taped up my mouth because I asked for help not realizing this world was unfamiliar with Moon Cats. I knew you were the Sailor scout of the Moon, and sought you out and watched over you ... I taught you all I knew, trained and looked after you until you began to look after me and us all ... Oh Serena, I ..." Luna kissed Serena's forehead whispering a prayer associated with Princess Kaguya, her alter ego.

When Serena first awakened Luna's true metamorphic nature during the fight against the Ice Queen a few years back, Luna could assume the powers of the legendary Princess and essentially was Kaguyu as Serena assured her that it was so after her coronation party in the beautiful gardens of the Crystal Palace. Luna broke off as she too put her hand over Serena's heart, and continued to cry for her dearest friend and queen. Raye waited for Luna to say her goodbyes to Serena, and she did the same. Raye was stunned by how cold her friend's lips had become and the shock finally brought home the fact her dearest friend was really gone. Raye whispered her final goodbye in tears, before crossing to the stone alter where the king lay in state.

"Goodbye my dear friend. You will live in my heart forever, and one day we'll meet again. I know this with all my heart!" Luna joined Raye, stood bye her side, and took the young priestess by the hand.

"Oh! Darien! What do I say to you my dear friend, and first love? I understood that you and Serena were destined for one another when she was revealed as the Moon Princess, but you know you've always remained special to me and like my brother. You loved her so much and nothing could separate you guys, and I know death won't either ... take care of her wherever your destiny leads you, and one day we shall all meet again in another time and place." Raye said kissing the king's cold lips.

Suddenly, something incredible happened. Luna's voice altered, and filled the temple completely as if she was hooked up to a public address system. The sound was a beautiful choral sequence issuing from her slender throat. The sweet vocalizations reminiscent of melodic sirens singing upon a rocky outcrop at sea, but so much more enchanting. The sounds eventually filled the entire palace. Raye's eyes opened, and were drawn to Serena and Darien’s lifeless bodies. Then Luna's feet left the floor, and a swirl of luminous Cherry Blossom petals swirled about her body as she became enveloped in lavender light. She raised her hands and a beam of energy flowed into Darien and Serena. Alex, Rini, Hotaru and the other Sailor soldiers rushed into the chamber and were amazed by what they were witnessing. There was a flash of pink light and a crystal case appeared around the king and queen.

"Everyone transform! Form a circle around them both, and hold hands and focus your energies into Darien and Serena!" Saturn cried joyfully laughing and sobbing at the same time and the celestial choral continued to emanate from Luna in her Princess Kaguya form intensified. Suddenly, Luna reached a harmonic crescendo and Serena's crystal shell shattered. Then Serena's chest began to rise and fall as her lungs drew hungrily upon the sweet air within the chamber.

"SATURN RESURRECTION HEART HEALING PREVAIL!" Saturn waved her staff back and forth over Serena and Darien focusing her power.

Serena's hand moved to her chest and back looking for the wounds that were no longer there. Serena sat up quickly gasping for breath in a state of disorientation and panic as she called Darien's name.

"Tuxedo Mask ... Darien!" Serena cried suddenly realizing she was no longer in danger.

She had for a brief moment thought she dreamt the whole thing. However, when she looked at Darien she realized it was all true, but something was wrong ... Darien wasn't breathing.

"Mother! ... It doesn't seem to be working ... why wont it work Raye?" Rini sobbed.

"Your father was struck by a sword charged with dark energy ... it will require all our power to help Luna to bring him back to us!" Raye shouted, as the energies in the temple were about to intensify dramatically.

She looked at her friends, then back at Darien and instantly knew what she must do. Serena's aura began pulsating with silver-blue light as she stepped forward and embraced the crystal shell placing her heart above Darien’s. She joined Princess Kaguya's chant as she sung to Darien.

"Hey guys! ... Lets give Serena a hand, lets re-focus our energies!" Saturn cried out as they joined hands once more and combined their will with the queen and Luna in her Kaguya form.

"MILLENNIUM COSMIC MOON CRYSTAL

"MERCURY HEART CRYSTAL ... !"

"MARS HEART CRYSTAL ... !"

"JUPITER HEART CRYSTAL ... !"

"VENUS HEART CRYSTAL ... !"

"PLUTO HEART CRYSTAL ... !"

"URANUS HEART CRYSTAL ... !"

"NEPTUNE HEART CRYSTAL ... !"

"SATURN HEART CRYSTAL ... !"

" PLANET POWER!"

"MOONLIGHT HEART MILLENNIUM ROSE BLOOM!"

"Come back to me my love, my darling I need you ... don't leave me here alone my dear Darien!" Serena cried stroking the crystal's exterior. Serena's feet now left the floor, and she floated into the air, taking Princess Kaguya's hands in hers, and the lavender and Silver light was amplified and then there was a loud crack and Darien's crystal shell shattered. The sound in the room began to settle and Serena's bare feet touched the floor, and she leant forward, and kissed Darien's warm lips, and accompanied by cheers, sobs and laughter Darien's eyes flickered open and his arms encircled Serena. He sat up and enfolded her in his arms. The others joined them in a huge collective hug.

"Oh Darien! We're okay! ... I knew we would return, I told you! ... "Serena's words lifted the hearts of everyone present as they knew they hadn't been separated whilst beyond death's gateway.

Luna de-transformed, and fell into Jupiter and Uranus's arms. The two ecstatic Senshi carried their dear friend to a seat. Artemis was beside himself, and Diana too fussed over a happy Luna who was crying tears of absolute relief and bliss. The temple was a buzz with conversation as they spent the next few hours talking and sharing how each felt.

"What is going on, and how did I get here ... Raye, you guys, what happened? The last thing I remember, I was attacked from behind and wanting Darien and the rest of you guys to take care of Alex and Rini!" Serena asked recalling the events that led to their premature deaths at the hands of Angel and the Velvet Seven.

Saturn then remembered Cheyenne was in the room watching them revive the king and queen of Crystal Tokyo. Saturn immediately de-transformed, and after a few minutes took Cheyenne by the hand and introduced her to Serena and Darien.

"Serena, Darien; I want you to meet a friend of ours. She will be a big help to us..." Hotaru started to say before Darien cut her off mid sentence.

"WHAT IS SHE DOING HERE? She is one of the seven sisters! Get out! You are not welcome here!" Darien screamed not realizing his daughter had used the healing scepter on the frightened girl trembling before him and his queen.

"No wait! Father please! I am responsible for bringing her here! I used the Moon scepter to heal her and drive the evil from her heart, and by doing so, I've saved her from the wrath of her sisters. She is on our side now! ... Please don't see her how she once was, please open your minds and hearts, as she is truly for the darkness she once represented. We have spoken about her past and learned she was not liked by her sisters. Cheyenne is now able to get in touch with her pain and feels sympathetic in respect to our grief. ... Please give her a chance!" Rini implored her father.

Darien looked at Cheyenne, and back at Rini trying to figure out what was going on.

"What? Rini, what are you talking about? ... How has she changed?" Darien asked still angry and confused.

"Darien! Look at me! ... I was here as most of us were when Cheyenne was healed! ... I know how you might doubt this girl, and I would too in your situation, but you're forgetting one very important thing! ... Rini and the rest of us assisted in Cheyenne's transformation and the goodness in her heart is obvious for anyone who looks deeply enough to see ...just let go of your anger and trust your daughter and your friends!" Raye said passionately as she stared into Darien's flashing azure eyes.

Serena took her husband's hands in hers and looked into his eyes and smiled, she leant forward and kissed him. She then brushed his dark hair out of his eyes, and Darien took Raye's advice and considered giving Cheyenne a chance. He nodded and called the girl to step closer and looked deeply into her crimson eyes and took her trembling hands in his.

"Cheyenne, I must apologize for my rage, but you must understand what I and my wife have experienced and returning to life to see you was just too much to bear ... I see a light in your eyes and ...Ah! ... A rose for you as this is the test that confirms my daughter's and my soldier's faith in you ... we bid you a warm welcome Cheyenne to our home and protection." Darien handed the beautiful rose that had formed in his hand as he held the girl's and let the flower bloom in Cheyenne's soft palm.

Cheyenne's tears ran down her face as Neo-Queen Serenity stood behind her and placed her gentle hands upon the girl's shoulders and all doubt was dispelled. Serena and Cheyenne now stood with Rini and the children. Darien rose to his feet and joined them as Luna and the Sailor Soldiers encircled them as the generals looked on smiling with joy in their hearts and relief upon their faces. Darien reached for Serena, and drew her into his embrace.

"Rini, Alex and all of you! I am so glad to be back with the familiar faces of those I love. I want you to promise me you will not take on the Velvet Seven until we figure out their weaknesses. Darien and I are agreed on this point, and I know all of you will understand and comply with our wishes." Serena declared.

"Yes, and that goes for all of you!" Darien commanded.

"Yes, I can speak for us all ... we understand and will be at your service mother and father!" Alex said as everybody cried their agreement to the king's decree.

Serena and Darien turned to see Alex whisper harshly to Hotaru, she shook her head in response. Serena and Darien were shocked by the spiteful glare their son gave Hotaru before storming out of the Celestial Temple. Serena looked at Hotaru noticing that she seemed unaffected by Alex's outburst. She looked calm and happy as her eyes lit up, and she smiled broadly and lovingly at Darien and Serena who turned to one another and winked conspiratorially, and returned Hotaru's smile.

"I'll talk to her Darien." Serena whispered as she touched his hand and crossed the floor to talk to Hotaru.

The others left the temple and moved to the eating hall for a celebration instead of a wake.

"Hotaru, I wanted to ask how things were between yourself and Alex. ... Hey you can always talk about anything that's troubling you my dear friend ... what's up, and what did he say to you ... why was he so angry with you?" Serena asked innocently enough as the girl's eyes darkened as she looked into the eyes of her queen and friend. .

"He wanted to speak with me, I told him I had nothing to say to him!" Hotaru replied as a cloud moved across her usually calm face.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Serena asked.

"Serena, please don't take this the wrong way, but there is nothing you can do at all I'm afraid. It has nothing to do with anything he's said or done. He's done nothing wrong, and we've not had a fight or anything like that, so please don't get worked up and worried about our relationship Serena!" Hotaru replied as diplomatically as she could, given the tumult of emotions swirling inside her heart at the moment.

"Hotaru, I know you, you know I can read you like a book because we've been friends for years and shared previous lives together so there's no need to suffer in silence ... what is it that you are not telling me? ... Please let me help if I can!" Serena urged her friend to confide in her.

Serena watched as Hotaru shook her head and turned on her heel and rushed from the chamber before the tears gave her away. Serena was really worried, and wanted to speak to her son, but she realized that the young couple had to work it out themselves. She only wanted them to take the first step. Serena sighed and Darien stepped up behind her and she snuggled against his powerful chest and she looked up as Darien kissed her nose and she felt his strong arms about her waist.

"I know its hard for them, they've lost us and now have us back. I think their feelings had been tested to their limit. I know it's a situation they must work out for themselves as we had to years ago ... I hope they pass this test my love!" Serena sighed once more as she turned in her husband's arms and they embraced and kissed alone in the Celestial Temple.

"Go and talk to Alex my love, I might lose my temper with him ... I'm afraid I need to rest a while before playing a hand in this as there is little I can do for them also ... its ultimately up to them both to work things out." Darien replied taking Serena's hand as they walked along the hallway.

"I'm just glad we are still here to take care of them and our people; I shudder to think what might have happened if they had to rule Crystal Tokyo and their relationship ended ... Hmmm! ... Lets eat, I don't know about you, but I'm starved!" Darien said changing the subject for the moment.

After they ate, Serena smiled at Darien and went to find Alex. She could not find him anywhere. She decided to seek out Rini and Helios, but couldn't find them either. Serena sighed and gave up trying to figure out what was going on, and returned to their bedroom to spend some quality time with Darien She could seek her son at the evening meal, but right now was the time for them both to be alone as a man and woman in love sharing tender moments of loving