Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Return Home! ❯ A Walk in the Gardens ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Seiya’s eyes took in the majesty of the royal gardens. He was awestruck by how beautiful it looked; for wherever he directed his gaze, his eyes were treated to a collage of stunning roses of every size and type. The profusion of color included rich reds, golden yellows, iridescent white and a cascade of various shades of pink. Seiya could not believe how so many varieties of roses could possibly exist in one place.

Against the far walls were groves of tall Oaks, Elms and Cypress trees with elaborate statuary and figurines taken from just about every culture. There were some Seiya could not identify, these amazing sculptures had been placed carefully at either end of each grove. Seiya felt the power infused within each figure, from the beautiful Moon Goddess Selene that rose to a height of four meters, to the awesome winged dragon with an unknown sailor soldier riding bareback in flight. Images like Thor, Isis, and the Mayan rainbow feather serpent god, Quetzalcoatl each guarding their allotted grove. Serena’s eyes lit up, she obviously enjoyed Seiya’s reaction to the many wonders within the Crystal Palace’s vast gardens. He was fascinated by the assortment of male and female warriors from a stack of Earth and Silver Millennium traditions that struck various battle poses. They continued to walk along these spacious green colonnades and took in the many wonders on display. Serena pointed out the west wall, where a line of Silver Birch, Pine, Ash, and Rowan groves waited to be explored. Serena led him towards the east wall where an abundance of fruit trees such as apple, pear, nectarine, plum and an orange and lemon tree pregnant with ripe fruit. Tohjia, the palace gardener, took off his gloves after setting down a tray of saplings and smiled in their direction. He called out his greeting and waved. The short lean young man’s long blonde hair fell over his shoulders; Seiya and Serena smiled and waved back before the young man returned to his assigned tasks.

Seiya was impressed by the small crescent shaped lake with a fountain featuring figures from the Silver Millennium family and great Moon Kingdom warriors. The statue of Serena’s mother, Queen Serenity was so like her daughter, Seiya had to do a double take to make sure his eyes were not deceiving him. They turned to walk along the banks of the lake, paved with large sandstone slabs that stopped short of the beautifully manicured lawns that connected the flagstone from the spacious lawns encircling the lake with its mirror like surface that threw back their images set against a blue sky dotted with fluffy white Cumulus. The massive Willow stood in repose, its roots plunging deep into the silt upon its moist bank. Its foliage reminded Seiya of a young girl washing her luxuriant long hair lakeside.

No Japanese garden of course, was complete without the inevitable Cherry Blossom trees and Sakura that added to the ensemble of color and aromatic perfume that engaged their senses. Serena squatted, plucked a silver Orchid handing it to Seiya, and pinned another to her hair before moving on. A plethora of orchids and native blooms such as Kitamura, Yurio, Ishizu, and Fumio were truly magnificent additions to the botanical paradise Darien & Serena had created here. Serena pointed to the display of exotic desert cacti currently in full bloom. These plants thrived here, and the bright purple, red and orange flowers released a heady fragrance that stimulated the senses.

Serena drew his attention to the plots on their left. He marveled at the ornate Japanese garden with its Bonsai along with other ornate miniatures and was totally gob smacked. There was also a pure quartz crystal fountain with an enchanting pretty crystal fairy sitting atop a pedestal at its center. The circular pathway fashioned from white marble slabs with Moon Kingdom design decorating each stepping-stone led to the spiral terrace where one could sit beside the lovely fairy as arcs of crystal clear waters formed a translucent crystalline canapé overhead. Seiya and Serena climbed the steps and sat upon a crystal bench. Seiya kissed the cheek of the fairy that seemed to blush as sunlight created the magical effect. Serena laughed as they savored the moment.

“I never imagined that anything could be as beautiful as this place Serena … I know why you love it so and wished me to see it!” Seiya said still awestruck as he leant against one crystal knee of the translucent fairy with her crystal hair catching the rainbow colors thrown by the luminous curtain of water overhead.

“I’m glad you like it Seiya, it’s a replica of the Silver Millennium’s finest gardens in the old city … we’re building an even more elaborate version on the moon’s new city named after Luna. She is so proud to be honored in this way, for she’s certainly earned the right and she is ecstatic!” Serena said while unconsciously twirling her firestone bracelet around her left index finger.

“I hope you’re not planning to throw that at me like your tiara!” Seiya laughed.

“Oh! … Sorry, I always do that when lost in thought!” she responded giggling.

“Well Sere, we have nothing that even comes close to this back home! Wow, just wait till the others see this!” he commented as Serena placed the bracelet on her slender wrist and patted his shoulder as she stood up and headed back down the stone terraces.

“Come on, there’s more!” Serena called out as she stood waiting by the walkway’s edge. Crystal benches encircled the fountain, and stone paths and causeways wound their way throughout the stunning gardens as far as the eye could see.

Seiya finally caught up with Serena. They walked side by side. He did not know how to broach the subject that burned within his heart. All he knew was the fact he could finally spend quality time alone with her without anyone to disturb them. He cared deeply for Serena, but he would never do anything to make her hate him. He would prove them all wrong. He was not here to destroy her marriage as Amara and the other Outer Soldiers believed.

“You’re too quiet Seiya … What are you thinking about?” Serena asked casually.

“I was thinking about everything said back there in the throne room ... I don’t know why those three resent me and the other Starlight’s so much … We have proven our worth when we fought by your side … I don’t understand why they can’t let the past go and live in the present!” Seiya replied with a sigh.

Serena looked at him and smiled. She knew he spoke honestly, and this was the basis of their friendship. The fact they could be totally open with one another. She liked that quality in him, and this was one of the many reasons she thought so highly of their friendship. Serena thought looking him over quickly with a critical eye. She liked the dark blue t-shirt he wore underneath his white dress-coat, with black pants and high quality black leather shoes. She had always known he had good dress sense, and this outfit was no exception as he had outdone himself big time. Serena had never seen him look so well presented and she thought he looked cool and his attire more impressive than anything he had worn during any concert performance. She was about to say something to him when she noticed at the corner of her eye somebody watching them.

Serena turned to face whomever it was that stood at the end of the path. She recognized the two figures immediately. Bella and Divine stood staring at her with a look of malice etched upon their young faces. She could not believe they were here within the palace gardens. She felt violated.

*… Of all the times for them to show up!* Serena thought angrily.

"What was that, Dumpling?" Seiya asked.

"That is what is wrong," she replied while pointing in the direction of Bella and Divine.

She didn’t expect them to be so bold, and so soon after their last encounter, and they’d appeared at the worst possible time. Serena knew with certainty, it wouldn’t bother them at all if she had company or not. These intruders had snuck past the palace guard, and she had to make sure they understood the consequences for trespassing, and more importantly, intruding upon a private moment.

“Well then, I thought we finished you off for good ... What are you doing up and about?” Bella asked sarcastically.

“Who the hell are you, and what are you doing within the Royal Gardens uninvited? … You’re trespassing!” Seiya replied sternly.

“I don’t know who you are, but this is between me and the Queen … So, back off … pretty boy, or else you’ll pay the price … This doesn’t concern you!” Divine stated in an arrogant tone.

The next thing he knew, an energy ball flew past him and harmlessly exploded overhead. The raven-haired woman, who called herself Divine, had thrown it. Her sister, clad in similar attire, with different motif upon the clinging bodice with its plunging neckline, and short skirt that accentuated her long legs along with the black high heels took him by surprise. Divine’s abundance of hip length raven black hair moved about her body as she crouched gracefully as if performing a dance movement, and hurled another energy ball after Seiya avoided the first. The next knocked him off his feet, and sent him flying backwards. He fell heavily, Seiya heard the popping sound, and knew his shoulder was dislocated. He couldn’t allow himself to worry about that right now, for he had to save Serena.

Serena saw what happened, and rushed to his aid. Suddenly, the red haired Bella jumped in front of her. She tried to get past her, but Bella refused to let her pass ... She had to protect Seiya, and fight the sisters once again. She hoped with any luck, she would turn the tables and make them pay for what they’d done.

“MOON ETERNAL POWER!”

There was a brilliant flash of silver light, and in seconds stood the soldier of love and justice having transformed before her enemies. Serena, despite becoming queen could still transform into Eternal Sailor Moon. She was more than ready to do battle, but before she could direct her attack, another deadly sphere hurtled towards her. She managed to jump clear before it exploded harmlessly upon the scorched lawn.

“FIGHTER STAR POWER!”

“Back off lady. You should know by now … If you mess with her, you mess with the people who fight along side her … Either step away, or prepare to fight!” Fighter answered defiantly.

"Becky, Deanna, you don't have to do this … We can help you … We want to be your friends, And you can become like your sisters, who are happy living here with us … Just give us a chance to prove it!" Sailor Moon pleaded while looking into the eyes of each girl.

"What … how do you know our names?" Bella asked momentarily thrown off guard.

"From someone very close to you … please let us help you, then everything shall be revealed!" Sailor Moon replied hoping to get past the darkness covering their hearts.

"No … I don't believe you … I don't want your hocus-pocus … Just shut up and fight!" Divine snapped.

Bella laughed, and ordered Divine to finish off Sailor Star Fighter. She threw another energy ball at Star Fighter, which Sailor Moon intercepted and destroyed the fiery sphere using her moon scepter.

"Becky, please listen to me! … We can help you! … Stop this! … please! … If you want to be reunited with your sisters Rachel and Hannah, then you have to let us help you!" Sailor Moon shouted.

Bella stopped where she stood, and listened to what Sailor Moon had to say. She did want to see her sisters again, but didn’t know if she could trust the Sailor Scout to keep her word.

"You’re lying … I don't believe you! … I don't care about what happens to them anymore … for as far as I’m concerned, They chose their own path when they decided to live with you! … Now you will pay for destroying our family, Sailor Moon!" Bella screamed.

Fighter couldn’t handle Divine with her arm out of commission, but she had to do something so she could help Sailor Moon.

“STAR SERIOUS LASER!”

She struck Divine’s arm, she thought this poetic justice as the girl cried out in pain, *Now we’re even sister!* she thought to herself smiling.

She crouched ready for what might follow in her black fuku with its revealing sleeveless leather top and short skirt, and ponytail fanning out behind her as she attacked. Now, Star Fighter wished she had hit Bella, but still thought she might get a second shot at the fiery redhead. Sailor Moon leapt over Bella and ran towards her, and she jumped over Bella's head and landed behind her to help Fighter before she was attacked, and suffered further injury. Sailor Moon shoved Divine aside, and the raven-haired woman cried out in pain. Sailor Moon stood by to support Star Fighter. Sailor Moon could not figure out why the two Velvet sisters were here, but she was determined they would not harm anyone else.

However, before they could make a run for it, Bella used her gravity pulse to knock Sailor Moon off her feet, whilst Divine used her silver dragon attack to bind Star Fighter. Bella laughed as she dragged her into a swirling portal and vanished. Sailor Moon couldn’t believe what had just happened. She climbed to her feet, stared at Divine, who quickly stepped away...

“Don’t worry, Sailor Moon … We’ll take good care of her!” Divine snickered.

“FIGHTER! … NO!” Sailor Moon screamed.

“Like I said … Don’t worry, she’s in good hands … she’ll get treated the way she deserves to be treated!” the dark haired woman laughed.

"Deanna, you guys don’t need to do this … We can work together on reuniting all of you … just please bring Star Fighter back, and then we can talk through this!" Sailor Moon cried in a pleading tone.

"I’ve no time for this! … My sisters are pathetic, for as Bella said, they’ve chosen their own paths … and as unwise as those choices might be … that’s their affair!" Divine replied tersely.

"I know why you’re here … Bring her back and you can take me in her stead, I promise!" Sailor Moon cried.

"Yes, we did come for you, but since you seem so protective over your friend … I guess we’ll take him, or is it she instead … Don't worry, we’ll be back … If you want to see your dear friend again, you’ll have to surrender Crystal Tokyo to us … If not, we will take it and all you love from you, piece by piece!” Divine shouted before vanishing into another portal.

Sailor Moon couldn’t believe her luck. Finally, her wish to see her friends came true after all these years. The moment she got the chance to spend some time with her old friend, her adversaries had abducted him, whilst in his sailor form as Star Fighter, and taken from her. She had been unable years back to convince Taiki and Yaten to trust her. She had eventually befriended them, and now she believed it was likely she would lose that friendship because she allowed Sailor Star Fighter to be taken captive.

Sailor Moon climbed wearily to her feet and de-transformed. She hung her head, and then looked at the very spot where Bella and Divine had disappeared with Star Fighter. Serena broke down and cried her heart out. She felt as if everything was going wrong, first she wished for her friends to come to Crystal Tokyo, and when they finally appeared, they received a hostile welcome from three of her dearest friends. She looked into the sky and wondered if she would lose them all at the hands of this enemy. She was so upset over what had occurred that she did not hear the footfalls approaching from the palace. Serena sat on the lawn looking despondent as she dried her eyes on the hem of her gown.

Amara, Raye and the others soon arrived and knelt beside her. Amara took Serena in her arms and hugged her close. She then pulled back and looked deep into her eyes, before asking what was going on.

“Serena? … Serena, sweetheart, what is going on? … We heard you screaming!” Amara asked with a look of concern upon her face.

“Seiya! … Seiya! … No! … Come back! … Please come back!” Serena cried softly.

“Raye, go get a blanket to put around her … also bring Taiki and Yaten as they’re the only ones who can get through to her right now … We must find out what happened to Seiya … Serena might go into shock at any moment, so hurry, and bring Ami too!” Amara commanded.

Raye jumped to her feet and took off. She knew Amara was a quick thinker in these situations, and when it came to the crunch, Raye thought Serena couldn’t be in better hands. Amara treated Serena as if she were a daughter. Raye knew Amara would rather die than let something or someone hurt her friend and queen. Raye felt the same way.

Serena kept her eyes focused upon the spot where Seiya had disappeared. She was determined to bring Seiya back and not suffer for her mistakes again.

“Serena, you have to help me … tell me what happened, and why you’re screaming for Star Fighter … we need to know what went down here if we’re to help at all!” Amara replied.

Raye returned with Ami, Taiki and Yaten on her heels. She wrapped the soft blanket around Serena’s shoulders, and then sat back while Ami examined her and took her temperature. Serena lifted the crystal goblet to her lips and drank the herbal draught, and immediately felt the benefit as it calmed her down. When Serena had finished, she blinked, then looked at the concerned faces surrounding her. Ami nodded, and then Amara asked Serena once again as the others stood back a few paces.

Serena looked up at Amara, then to Taiki and Yaten who knelt upon the grass either side of her. Serena realized they were extremely worried about her. She felt a sense of depression overtake her, for she believed they wouldn’t understand what happened with their cousin. She started crying once again.

“Seiya! ... I’m sorry … Seiya, I’m coming after you … I won’t let you down again, not this time!“ She cried whilst struggling to her feet.

Taiki turned her to face him. He then realized how upset she was. He couldn’t figure out what Seiya did to make her so hysterical. He gently shook her.

“Serena, what are you talking about? … What’s going on? “Taiki asked Serena.

“I must save him … I have to find them and bring him back … I’m sorry for making you lose trust in me Taiki, but I’ll not let Seiya suffer for my mistakes … I’ll bring him back to you, then its your decision if you guys wish to stay or not!” Serena told him.

Yaten pushed Taiki aside and stared at Serena. He wanted to impress upon her that they didn’t hold her responsible, for whatever happened was obviously not her fault, and she ought not to blame herself. He pulled her into his arms and spoke softly.

“Serena, whatever happened to Fighter doesn’t change the way we all care about you … it’s not your fault!” Yaten whispered.

Serena looked up with sad eyes, and understood where he was coming from.

“Yaten, I didn’t call for help … I tried to defend him … If I’d tried harder, he’d still be here … Instead of the clutches of our enemy … How can you be so understanding about this?" she asked in a state of remorse.

"Serena, breathe deeply, and explain the events that led to Seiya’s abduction.” Raye asked Serena gently.

“If you remember, I wanted to talk alone to Seiya, and took him on an impromptu extended tour of our magnificent gardens. After an hour or so, we headed back for dinner, when I noticed somebody watching us. I turned to see Bella and Divine staring at us … She threw an energy ball at Seiya, and he fell heavily and dislocated his left shoulder … He had by this time transformed into Star Fighter … I tried to get to her, but unfortunately, Bella prevented me!” Serena answered whilst clenching her teeth in anger.

Taiki looked as if he were about ready to explode, for they’d just arrived, and already Seiya was in danger. He couldn’t understand what it was with these people. Apparently, every time they were around them, they ended up in deep trouble. However, He couldn’t blame Serena or the others for this. He knew this wasn’t her fault.

“Serena, what else happened? … Please finish.” Amara asked softly as she gently squeezed Serena’s shoulder.

“Well, we dodged energy ball attacks and retaliated with some of our own, but Star Fighter’s injury limited her ability to adequately defend herself, but all the same she managed to strike Divine with a powerful attack of her own. Ironically, Divine’s shoulder was injured in the process. I thought it poetic justice! … I had to act fast, but sadly, I wasn’t fast enough! For no sooner had I reached her and braced Star Fighter for the jolt of pain that goes with putting a joint back into place, than those witches grabbed her and vanished into a portal. I screamed for them to bring Star Fighter back, but it was no use. Divine stated the conditions upon which Star Fighter would be returned to us … you won’t like it … they want Crystal Tokyo!... … I screamed at the top of my lungs, hoping they’d hear me … I offered myself, but that only strengthened their resolve … I only made the situation worse!” Serena said as she sank slowly to her knees. Amara offers Serena a hand to stand up brushing away her tears while the others looked on with disbelief and understanding.

“Go on!” Amara urged frowning, sensing there was more to come.

“Okay, but its bad! … Divine not only threatened to take the city, but also take everyone I love away too … and guys, that of course, includes Darien, my family and all of you … I don’t trust them with Seiya, and I know she means to get to me through him … I can’t allow that!” Serena said wringing her hands as everyone gasped as the significance of her words.

Amara offered her hand to Serena, she took it, and then climbed unsteadily to her feet. Serena smiled her thanks, and then brushed herself down.

Suddenly, as if her life depended on it, Serena held her locket aloft to transform, but before she could do so, Raye snatched it from her grasp.

“Serena Shields! … What are you thinking? … You know we always work as a team! … We are supposed to be a team Meatball Head! We’ll all help bring Seiya back; you ought to know better Serena as you set these principles yourself! … Therefore, girlfriend … don’t be a hypocrite! … You just can’t go off like a mercenary, and take on the Velvet sisters alone, because that’s stupid … if we all behaved like that, none of us would be here today!” Raye yelled as she took Serena by the shoulders and gently shook her until her meatball plaits danced like rubber snakes. Serena’s face wore an expression of shock and embarrassment.

“Raye’s right Serena … We’ll get him back, don’t worry … and Taiki, Yaten! … I and the other outer soldiers promise that once this is over, I won’t intervene if Seiya wishes to hang out with Serena, provided he will behave with honor and respects her marriage! … Is that understood guys?” Amara said sincerely, looking to each man as they nodded their agreement.

“Yes, and for our part we’ll ensure he behaves like a perfect gentleman around Serena … so don’t worry, he won’t ruin her marriage!” they chimed.

Amara was not quite sure how, but she felt the ground shift between herself, the inner and outer soldiers, the Starlight’s and Serena. Amara knew something had definitely changed, for some unknown reason she could trust Taiki and Yaten. Amara decided to put her faith and trust in the Two Lights standing before her.

"Okay guys, but if things go awry, I’ll know who to blame and will remedy the situation, but somehow, I know I can trust you both!" Amara conceded bringing a warm smile to Taiki and Yaten. They shook hands as a symbol of their new relationship, and this surprised everyone.

"And what of Seiya? Are you willing to put your trust in him, or are you still having your doubts?" Taiki questioned.

"I am giving him my trust, but only to a certain extent. Until I know for sure, he means no harm to our queen and her marriage, for only then I will give him my full trust. Otherwise my trust is conditional on his ability to earn it!" Amara stated placing heavy emphasis on “earn”.

Taiki and Yaten looked at each other, conceded this point, and nodded in unison, knowing Amara had a point. They knew the extent of Seiya's feelings and were willing to meet Amara full force on her trust towards Seiya.

"Fine with us. We understand why you have your doubts. We stand behind you on this one in respect to Seiya. Just pray we get him back to make him gain your full trust," Yaten replied.

The sun hung low upon the horizon as it cast a prism of color upon Crystal Tokyo and the lush palace gardens. The golden sunlight illuminated the crystal fairy, which glowed as if alive and bathed in magical light. She was a resplendent sight atop her lofty vantage point. She seemed to smile her approval as they all retreated to the palace for the evening meal and to plan their next move.

Luna stood upon the palace veranda looking in Serena’s direction. Luna wore a loose short-sleeved purple top with a short pink skirt and sapphire sandals. Diana held her mother’s hand and she wore a sleeveless lavender dress that fell to mid thigh with crystal beads covering its pretty bodice. Diana’s lavender hair fell around her sweet face, and loosely down her back and over her breasts to her slim waist. Luna’s hair was worn loosely, but for her two small meatball plaits. Diana had tied a white silk ribbon through her hair. Her eyes met Serena’s warm gaze.

Luna then looked upon Yaten and wandered what it would have been like if she was single and he had shown up now. She knew Yaten had no idea about her or Artemis being in human form. She was going to have to introduce herself all over again. Along with Artemis. She remembered have a huge crush on Yaten all those years ago. And also that he liked her alot.

Suddenly, Helios and Rini along with Alex and Hotaru stepped out onto the veranda all keen to learn what had transpired in the palace gardens.