Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Walk to my lovers arms ❯ chapter eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'll be your shoulder to cry on,

if you provide the tears

I'll be the one to hold you

If you bring me your fears

I'll be the one beside you

If you'll stand next to me

I'll be the one that loves you

Even if you don't love me.

Chapter 8

As the elevator door opened, Usagi found herself faced with the not-quiet silent tableau of a grieving man. Quietly she wheeled herself out of the elevator towards him, slightly worried at his reaction to her presence, and yet there was no way she would leave him to face this alone.

He turned to look at her with red rimmed haunted eyes, and a tear streaked face, his entire being expressing the single word "Why?" even as it escaped his lips to drift nearly unheard upon the currents of warm air.

She didn't answer him, instead wheeling up beside him, to draw him as close as possible; one hand moving to stroke his back, even as she whispered reassurances into his ear.

Mamoru lifted his head only once to look into her face, a look of startled bewilderment crossing his handsome features as she gently wiped a tear from his cheeks, and then it was if some invisible barrier within him had broken. He buried his face in her shoulder, great heaving sobs shaking his frame as he grieved, unashamed, for those he loved.

Usagi remained quiet, one hand soothingly stroking his strong back as his tears soaked into the material of her t-shirt, she remained still even after his breathing had quieted determined to provide the support he needed as his remaining family had failed to do.

The pair sat in silence for some time, neither wanting the other to move, and yet the moment could not last as Usagi's watch beeped informing her she had a mere five minutes before her appointment.

"Mamo-chan, I have to go now" she told him, pushing his thick bangs back so that she could look him in the eyes.

He nodded to indicate that he had understood, as he pulled back releasing his hold on her. Reaching out a hand, Usagi tilted his head up, so that he was looking her straight in the eyes,

"it wasn't your fault" she murmurs, quickly leaning down to kiss his forehead before wheeling back to the elevator, leaving Mamoru with a look of pure amazement on his face.

**********

Usagi made it to Dr. Kerr's office right on time, and was surprised at the sound of her parent's familiar voices within.

"Mom? Dad?" she called wheeling in through the open door "what are you doing here?"

"well Usagi, we asked to be called in when Dr Kerr here felt that you were ready to take the next step."

Usagi looked at them slightly puzzled, sure she was now able to stand on her own for longer periods of time, and her legs were not as week, but with her thoughts focused on Mamoru's problems she just wasn't thinking clearly.

Dr. Kerr chuckled and reaching behind the "torture table" as Usagi had dubbed it, he pulled out a walker.

Usagi stared at it blankly for a moment, then as finally realizing what was happening she grinned, "you mean I'm ready to leave my chair??"

"yes Usa" her mother affirmed.

Still grinning, Usagi reached out to take hold of the walker as she placed both her feet on the floor before slowly standing.

Dr. Kerr smiled, "ok Usagi, are you ready to walk?"

She nodded, and carefully placed one foot in front of the other just like they'd practiced and stepped out of his office into the hallway, her parents following after.

They walked in silence for a distance, her parents exchanging glances behind her backs, and then with a slight nod of her head Usagi's dad opened his mouth to speak.

"Usa" he began

"Yes Dad?" she answered turning to smile at him

"your mother and I have been thinking, and we decided that it would be best if you came home soon."

"what do you mean??" she questioned totally shocked at this turn of events

"well, we were talking to Dr. Kerr, and he said that you will probably be able to come home as your legs will be strong enough to carry you around with help from the walker..." he trailed off

" you mean I won't need my wheel chair?"

"no, you will have to take it easy at first, but everyday you can spend more time out of your chair" her mother stated "Dr. Kerr said that in 2 months time or so you should be completely independent from the chair, and then after that ready for leg braces."

Usagi stared blankly at her mother,

"Usagi, we decided that you would be leaving here in two weeks" her father finished looking at his daughter, and then at his wife a concerned expression upon his face.

"leave here?" Usagi repeated still shocked, "you mean go home? Like where all my friends are!"

"yes Usagi, home." He mother affirmed as they rounded the corner into the lobby.

"USA-CHAN!!!!" a simultaneous shout of delight at the appearance of their friend burst from a group of three girls that had prior to her appearance been sitting on a couch, and were now dashing towards her.

"Mina-chan, Rei-chan, Ami-chan!! What are you doing here????" Usagi exclaimed in delight.

"we came to see you odango brain" Rei teased giving the blonde a hug.

"Rei! Don't call me that! Its bad enough with HIM calling me that, I don't need you at it too"

The other two laughed as their friends taunted, and teased each other, only interfering when it looked like they were about ready to gouge each-others' eyes suggesting that they head outside Minako happily producing a bag of snakes, and other such gals night surprises.

Usagi smiled in delight, following her friends out through the front door.; secretly torn between spending time with her best buds, and the fact that she had promised Mamoru that she would return after her appointment.

Up in his room Mamoru heard the commotion of female voices laughing, and calling out Usagi's name, curious he wheeled closer to the edge and looked down in time to see them disappear underneath a tree.

He sat in stunned silence, his mind slowly processing the fact that yes, Usagi had been standing.

"shit" he cursed "its only a matter of time now, and then she'll be gone too" he felt his heart contract painfully in his chest at the thought of being anywhere with out her.

"what's happening to me" he wondered aloud, after all he had only known Usagi for six months. He had lived a full 19years with out her, why shouldn't he be able to live without her again.

He sighed, wheeling away from the window towards the center of the room. His thoughts churned in his mind,

She's going to be leaving soon… I don't want to stay here any longer, but what can I do?

His glance fell upon the desk that had been pushed up against one wall. Slowly he wheeled over, and opened the bottom drawer to reveal some text books.

I'm almost done the course.... his thought, thinking about all that had happened between them.

I have to at least try... I may feel unworthy of life, but… if I'm ever going to get out of here. Ever going to have a chance of seeing her again once she leaves… I'm going to have to learn to walk… he decided, then laughed bitterly,

That is if she even wants to see me again…

a small wistful smile crept onto his face as he heard the sound of happy laughter once more, and in his heart of hearts, he concluded that it was one of the most beautiful sounds he had ever heard.

**************

Outside Usagi was having so much fun, her friends were acting just as they had before the accident, and she was happy that she'd soon be going back to live among them.

Unfortunately, like all good things, they had to leave eventually, as the staff had already bended the rules in allowing them to stay for dinner, and now it was fast approaching 7:30 the ultimate end of visiting hours.

"Bye guys! Come visit me again!!!" she called as they walked out of the lobby.

Minako laughed, "of course Usagi-chan!! We'll try to come… the week after next!"

Rei, and Ami agreed, waving cheerfully as they piled into Ami's car, and then they were gone, leaving Usagi alone at the door.

Slowly Usagi turned and wheeled back into the lobby towards the elevator, having dumped the walker in favor of her chair, as the Dr. Kerr had sternly instructed that she didn't over do it.

A soft ping informed her that the elevator had arrived, and she quickly pressed the button which would take her up to her floor. Upon arriving she wheeled out, and went to see if Mamoru was in his room.

"Mamoru? Are you in there?" she called through the empty door. She was answered by silence, and so after a quick peek inside the room, confirming that neither he, nor Kevin were anywhere to be seen she continued down the hall to her room.

"mako-chan? Are you here?" she called softly as she entered the room they shared, only to be answered by the sound of the water running in the bathroom.

That's odd… Usagi thought as she headed closer to the door.

"Makoto? Are you in there? It's me Usagi.."

Usagi still received no answer, and so she cautiously turned the door knob, letting the door swing open to reveal the site within.

Usagi stared, completely shocked for a moment, one hand pressed firmly to her chest as she struggled to get her breathing under control, all the time muttering,

"makoto what were you thinking?" as she stared down at her room mate, before letting out a scream of terror as the reality of the situation sunk in.