Saint Seiya Fan Fiction ❯ The Story of Andromeda (A Saint Seiya Fairytale) ❯ Rescue of the Chained Prince ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shonen-ai warning, Hyoga/Shun pairing. I think they're cute.
Disclaimer: I don't own Saint Seiya, I just like Greek Myths, fairytales, and some kinds of shonen-ai.
 
The Story of Andromeda (A Saint Seiya Fairytale)
Chapter 4: The Rescue of the Chained Prince
 
The streets of Ethiopia were often bare right after sunrise, but never had they radiated such a feeling of emptiness before. There wasn't a soul walking the dirt road, not even a stray animal, although the windows were all cracked open slightly. The entire kingdom was in complete silence.
 
The only motion was a small parade came down the middle of the main road, but not one among them was joyous. The attitude was more like a funeral procession.
 
At the head was Shiryu, the priest of the oracle, and his opposite number, the priestess Shunrei who manned the sacred hearth in the center of town. Both were dressed in white and bore very serious, calculating looks, though you could see the hint of a tear in Shunrei's eye. Behind them, two guards escorted the key point of this convoy in the form of a chained prisoner.
 
The young prince was dressed quite alluringly, in a long white robe that hung loosely around his lithe form. His hair hung freely around his beautiful face, fear masked by an expression of gentle resignation and emerald green eyes focused on the street below his feet. There was a thick cuff on each of his wrists, the long chains extending from them held tightly in the guard's hands.
 
Several feet behind him, accompanied by two pairs escorts, was the King and Queen. Both were dressed in dark colors, not quite black but close enough, and Cassiopeia had her face covered by a thin veil. Even through it, you could see the streams of tears running down her face. Their escorts, even the usually cocky and care-free Seiya, were stone-faced and faux-impassive.
 
Ikki was still lying injured in his bedchambers, accompanied faithfully by his dear Esmerelda. However, because of the struggle he had put up the night before to his hands on the monster who dared to harm his younger brother, Cepheus had asked the girl to mix a small bit of herb into his usual medicine, to keep him at bay until the…sacrifice…was complete.
 
No one said a word as they made their way through the whole of the city, out to the white-sand beach and onto the jetty. The tide was low, barely over the ankles, and the rocks were slick with saltwater and seaweed.
 
Shiryu paused a moment on the edge of the quay, turning back towards the rear of the procession. "Your majesties." he said with a slight bow. "I'm afraid I cannot permit you to come any further."
 
The King nodded slowly, motioning to Cassiopeia. The guards holding the prince's chains released a moment, allowing him to turn back and face them.
 
The Queen took in a stuttering sob, throwing her arms around her son's shoulders one more time. She stroked his hair and kissed his forehead lovingly, whispering in his ear. "My baby…My little boy…I wish so badly I could take back…everything I said against the gods…I'm so sorry…"
 
"Mother…" he muttered, blinking away tears. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the feeling of her embrace for a little while longer, then she released with a barely-contained cry of sorrow and backed away.
 
Cepheus Albior stepped forward, his dark blue eyes misting over. For a moment he said nothing, just looked mournfully down at the bound prince. Then he reached out slowly and took his chained hands. "My son…"
 
Shun looked up at him, a few tears fighting their way free. Cepheus smiled sadly, brushing them away gently. "When you were born, it was one of the happiest days of my life." the king said quietly. "I knew from the start you'd be as beautiful as your mother, but I never dreamed you'd grow into such a caring…noble…young man." he reached up and ruffled the boy's hair lovingly. "I am proud…to have you for a son."
 
The tears began to flow heavily out of the prince's emerald green eyes. "F-Father…" he gasped, then put his head down on the king's shoulder and cried. Cepheus put his arms around him, gently running his fingers through the long tresses.
 
The priests and a guards stood by, looking on. Seiya clenched his hands into fists and turned away, ignoring the pulsing pain from the broken arm he'd gotten fighting the monster. Shunrei wiped her eyes sadly.
 
Shiryu cleared his throat, making a note of the placement of the sun. Cepheus held his son tightly one last time, then released and backed away. "…Goodbye."
 
Shun gave them both a solemn nod. The guards came forward, taking the chains up again. Shiryu and Shunrei bowed respectfully to the rulers and their escorts, then turned and lead the way further out into the ocean.
 
The king and queen watched them go a moment, Cassiopeia holding on to Cepheus's arm. Then they, and their escorts, slowly returned to the palace.
 
There were a series of large rocks just off the edge of the beach. Many of them disappeared under the water at high tide, rising when it went back out. At the very edge of this group of formations was the largest one of all, one who's tip broke the surface even when the waves were at their highest.
 
It was here that the Gods had specified for the sacrifice.
 
Shunrei stepped forward, holding out a large, flat bowl. It was filled with the ashes of the Sacred Hearth. She took some in her hand, gently brushing it onto Shun's forehead. "Our blessings be with you…" she said, trying to hide the tears that were building her own eyes. "And may the gods forgive you in this act…may they forgive us all."
 
He smiled at her. "Thank you, priestess." he whispered, then began the climb to meet his fate.
 
There was a slight incline up the side, which they climbed to the tip. The cuffs were separated and re-attached to much longer chains, borne by one of the guards. Shunrei stood by as the men completed their tasks with heavy hearts. The prince didn't struggle once, but complied to every movement they asked of him.
 
They finished, fastening the last link securely into place. Shackles on the wrists and ankles held fast to the rock, and more chains were wrapped around his waist, chest, arms and legs to hold steady. His head, however, was not tied down and could move freely.
 
Shiryu attached the last links with a heavy lock, turning the key securely into place. He stood back, looking at the prince sadly. "May the Gods have mercy on this innocent soul."
 
And then they left him alone.
 
 
…The sea was very quiet, even as its level began to rise higher and higher. The spray licked his face mercilessly, the salt stinging his eyes. Tears formed in them and slid down his cheeks, partially to keep the orbs moist, and partially out of fear.
 
"So this is what the dream was trying to tell me…" he thought, testing the bonds as he gazed out into the ocean. "But there's no Phoenix to save me now…"
 
The tide was now licking his bare toes with every wave. It wouldn't be long now until it reached the tide line, its highest point, and the Kraken would appear. It wouldn't be long now…
 
For some reason, he found himself thinking of the blonde traveler he had met on the beach last night. Hyoga, he had called himself, or Cygnus. It was a pleasant thought…he'd felt so content in the other man's presence…but it was a rather random one. Thinking longingly about a total stranger right before being eaten by a giant frog…he really was going crazy.
 
The sea licked at his ankles, the rest of his feet submerged. The tide line was nowhere to be seen…it was high tide.
 
There was a rumbling sound. He went rigid against the chains, looking around anxiously. The sea in front of him began to churn and bubble, as though someone had lit a fire under a pot. Then the foaming mass began to part, and out rose the Kraken.
 
It was even more ferocious and terrifying up close, when you could see every alligator-like scale on its slimy body, every lick of flame echoed in its hollow eyes, and every, last, single one of its sharp, flesh-tearing teeth.
 
The blood-red eyes gazed around blurredly for a moment, moving in opposite directions. Then he spotted the helpless, chained figure before him and both eyes instantly focused on Andromeda. A sort of satisfied grin spread over its monstrous lips as it reached out to take him in its huge, slimy claws.
 
Shun squeezed his eyes shut so he wouldn't have to look at it. He didn't bother to scream, no one was coming to rescue him anyway, but a frightened whimper did escape. He braced himself mentally for the pain…the pain of first being torn out of the heavy chains securing him, then being ripped to shreds against those horrible, gnashing teeth… as the monster drew steadily closer…
 
He was suddenly aware in a change in the flow of air. He could no longer feel the fiend's hot, putrid breath washing over his body. It was as though someone had stepped in front of him.
 
"Diamond Dust!"
 
Shun's eyes shot open, just as the blonde that had been hovering in front of him lunged forward with high, strong punches. He wasn't aiming at the monster, oh no, he was aim at the sea around it. It would seam futile to anyone else, but each place he struck suddenly froze to solid ice.
 
He leapt back, zooming around the kraken skillfully, and Shun abruptly realized that he was flying. And he did it so easily, it seamed as though he was simply running on those winged sandals, as easily as you would down the side of a hill.
 
He came soaring back around, pausing several meters up in the air to survey his work. The Kraken struggled, confused, as the entire ocean around him had turned to solid ice, binding it mostly in one place. The blonde chuckled, content with his work. "Not bad, eh?"
 
Shun found his voice. "H-Hy…Hyoga?!"
 
The blonde turned back to him with a smirk, coming down to his level. "Prince." he said, by way of greeting.
 
Shun gaped at him blankly. "H-How…W-Why…?!"
 
The Kraken roared, reaching out with his only free claw. Hyoga dodged, keeping an eye on it to make sure it didn't go for Shun. "Explanations later!" he called, righting himself. "I've got a frog to skin…"
 
He zipped forward, drawing a sword from his belt. He side-swiped the beast's arm, then struck it mightily on the shoulder, making a deep cut. The Kraken threw back his head and roared, more in anger than in pain, as the much smaller human flew easily around him, striking at will.
 
Shun found it rather hard to keep his eyes off him. For one thing, he was amazed that the sword he carried could harm the monster that had turned back his brother's best efforts without a care. Secondly, he simply found it hard to keep his eyes off the sword's bearer, his hair flying wildly around him, eyes set in ready concentration, the well-toned muscles in his bare arms moving fluidly with each powerful stroke.
 
…He quickly decided that all the sea spray must have been doing something to his head.
 
Hyoga hovered a moment, surveying his work with a frown. His sword was a gift from Athena, it was made from adamant and could easily break through solid stone without a scratch to the blade. But this monster's flesh was too thick and tough to get through, not like this…
 
"Andromeda." he called back, then shook his head, clearing his thoughts. "Shun. Close your eyes and look away, now."
 
The boy looked up at him, surprised. "Do it now!" Hyoga shouted down. "Close your eyes, right now, do you understand?!"
 
Shun gulped and quickly obeyed, squeezing his eyes shut and turning his head as far to the right as he could. His cheek pressed against the cold, smooth, wet stone.
 
Hyoga smirked a bit in relief when he complied, then turned back to the raging monster. He dodged the bloodied claw as it came at him again, undoing the fastenings from the silver bag at his side. He reached in and gripped the object tightly.
 
"Alright, big guy." he muttered. "Take a look at this!"
 
He yanked the head of Medusa out of the silver bag, turning his own head away as he did. The monster let out a furious shriek, which slowly died away with a low cracking noise.
 
Hyoga stuffed the head bag into the bag, looking up to survey the damage.
 
The Kraken stood, claw raised to attack, with one eye focused on Hyoga, while the other looked to Shun. It was complete still, turned to solid rock.
 
Hyoga smirked, drawing his sword again. He lunged forward and struck down at the base of the creature's neck, causing a great crack. The crack extended along the base of the neck, until the head gave way completely and crashed into the ocean.
 
The blonde washed stained blood off in the spray, then replaced his sword loosely and flew to the boy still bound to the rock. Shun still had his eyes closed and was trembling very slightly despite the bonds.
 
"You can open your eyes now." he said gently, putting a hand on his shoulder. "It's over."
 
Shun opened his eyes and looked up at him. He blinked a moment, a confused look on his face that the blonde had to admit made him look very adorable. Then he spotted the stone Kraken's body behind him and bit his lip to conceal a cry. It came out as a low whimper.
 
"It's alright." Hyoga urged gently, starting at chains hold his ankles. "It's all over…"
 
"It's…stone…" Shun whispered, shocked. "H-How…How?"
 
"Don't worry." Hyoga straightened, finishing the chains around his waist and reaching for the ones on his wrists. "When I get these loose, you'll have to grab on to me. Otherwise, you'll fall."
 
Shun nodded in understanding, gulping. Hyoga slipped his blade under the chain next to the right shackle and pulled up. It gave way with a sudden snap. Shun gasped and grabbed out, arms wrapping around the flying hero's neck.
 
"I gotcha." Hyoga supported him with one arm around the waist, slipping his sword back in its sheaf. "Just hang on tight, I'll get you back to the mainland…"
 
Shun looked at him blankly, still uncomprehending. "You…You saved my life."
 
Hyoga just grinned. "I guess I did."
 
And he started back towards the white-sand beaches of Ethiopia.
 
TBC…