Samurai X Fan Fiction ❯ We are Destined ❯ Chapter 13

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 13
 
Sayo and Sano grew closer and closer to each other as the months pass by. For the past few months, they were always together. They had a connection that even they couldn't explain, but they refuse to tell it to each other. Sayo told herself that Sano is just a brotherly figure to her, but she can't deny the fact that there is something about Sano that made him special to her heart. The fact that Souzo doesn't write to Sayo for the past few weeks made them closer.
 
Walking Sayo home everyday after school became a regular hobby for Sano. “Sayo, what do you think if I join the kickboxing tournament this summer?” Sano asked as they were walking. Sayo looked at him. “If you want to join, then go. Just don't come running to me like a child when you get hurt.” Sayo joked. Both of them laughed. “Well, I won't get hurt… you already saw how I fight twice.” Sano bragged. Sayo stared at Sano. Instantly, the smirk around Sano's lips faded away. He stared at her and she stared at him. “Thanks for everything Sano.” Sayo whispered. Sano came closer to her. “You don't have to thank me for that.” He said. “But why?” she asked. Sano held her hands. “Because I would do everything for the woman I love.” He said. Sayo saw the sincerity in his eyes. She was confused. Tears started to roll from her eyes. She looked away.
“You can't love me, Sano.” She said, almost eating those words because of her sobs.
“Why?”
“Because…” she paused as she tried to stop from crying, but she failed. “I am your brother's girlfriend. I can't. I promised to wait for him.”
Sano released Sayo's hands and punched a wall. “My brother doesn't even write letters to you anymore!” he said.
“But Sano… I made a promise to him.”
Sayo's tears rolled down her cheeks like a river of water splashing down a hill. She just stood inches away from Sano, trembling, wondering what to do and what to say.
“He may be having an affair with another girl right now. For whatever reason, he forgot about you.” Sano said. He looked at Sayo.
“But still, it's a promise… I can't break my promise.”
“No… you could start again… with me.” He said, walking towards her and holding her shoulders gently, staring deeply at her green eyes.
Sayo looked at him. “I'm sorry Sano…”
After saying those two words, Sayo gave Sano a kiss in his cheeks, then ran away. Sano just stood there and watch Sayo's petite figure to fade away in the darkness of the night.
 
Since that incident, Sayo and Sano did not talk to each other anymore. Everyone noticed that change. Kaoru and Misao asked Sayo about that. Kenshin did that too. But Sano and Sayo just told them that everything's fine - but its not. Since then, Sano became violent, easily losing his temper. Kenshin always had a hard time tying to make Sano stop fighting with other gangsters. Sayo, on the other hand, became less cheerful and less vibrant. Kaoru and Misao noticed that change in her and that made them feel sorry for their friend.