Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers Finally! ❯ How Romatic! ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

How Romantic!

Amelia sighed as she looked at her father out of the corner of her eye. Why was he making such a big show? All the people of Seyruun were gathered on the side to welcome home the princess and king. She (and Zelgadis too) had wanted to sort of sneak in without a fuss and slowly progress with their relationship. But her father wasn't having any of that. He already told the both of them that he was going to announce their engagement the moment they got back to the palace.

So of course, Zel wasn't too thrilled about that. On top of it all, this mass gathering of people to welcome them back. She knew Zelgadis wasn't good with people…She looked up and tried to spot him. Amelia sighed. She couldn't. Who knew where he was now? Probably laying low with his face all covered up until everything died down. She didn't know if he was even going to make it into the castle. A part of her was worried that he'd ditch and just get the hell out of Seyruun. But she quickly squelched that doubt. He knew that if he even tried that she would be following him across the earth until she found him again. She sighed again. Amelia only wished she could spot him.

"Damn it, straight to hell!"

"Stop complaining."

"Well, at least we're almost done."

Three women were hovering in a Seyruun alley as they watched Phil's procession slowly pass by. Morganna was fuming, Vivienne was growling at her and Razelle sighed. "I still don't know why you're both here. This is my problem. Amelia and Zel are my couple, remember?"

Morganna cursed. "I know that, but they're pathetic! I figured you had them married by now, you with your `tear-jerking drama'! Jeez, Razelle, you aren't even close to finished yet!"

Razelle's eye ticked. "Well, then why don't you leave me and them to our pathetic selves and go torment Lina and Gourry."

Morganna grinned. "Because we want to torment you, instead."

"Speak for yourself," Vivienne humphed. "I only wanted to help with Amelia and Zelgadis. That's all."

Razelle rolled her eyes. "Why me?"

"Quick! Look, there's Amelia! But I don't see Zelgadis," Vivienne muttered.

The green haired sister wasn't paying attention. At least Razelle knew where Zelgadis was. But she was trying to think of a way to help him get over his fear of acceptance. He may only be half demon now, but he still had that `I'm-not-worthy' complex. To convince him he'd make a good prince and later on a good king of Seyruun, she needed something drastic. But what…?

Out of the corner of her eye she saw some women gossiping and suddenly an idea formed in her head. She grinned evilly, the thought in her head expanding even more. She abruptly grabbed her sisters from behind, surprising them. "You two said you wanted to help, right?"

Vivienne and Morganna lifted an eyebrow. Razelle grinned.

Amelia finally spotted him. She saw him moving among the shadows in a nearby alleyway alongside the procession. She looked to see if her father was watching and when she saw him facing the other way she jumped off her horse. She followed after Zelgadis.

Damn it. Phil with his stupid ideas. Why did they have to make such a show all the way to the palace? He couldn't believe he was still on his way there. Phil was going to announce Zelgadis' engagement to Amelia the moment they got to the palace. An engagement he had never even discussed with Amelia. This was just going to fast for him. Zelgadis abruptly stopped. No…this was too much. He couldn't do this! What the hell was going on?! He had just realized his feelings for Amelia recently! Sure, he had already slept with her…He shook his head. That was beside the point! This relationship was progressing too quickly for his taste. He sighed. He knew Amelia was probably going to kill him, but for the moment he had to skip town and buy himself some time.

Zelgadis turned around then, only to see Amelia looking up at him with an eyebrow lifted and a smile twisting curiously on her face. He suddenly got the strangest urge to just take her in his arms and kiss her. He shook himself. Good grief, Zelgadis! What kind of man are you turning into?!

"About to leave town, Zelgadis?"

That snapped Zelgadis back to the correct realm of reality. "A-A-Amelia…" He shook his head and then began to move past her. She grabbed onto his arm, but she didn't turn around to face him. They stood there like that for a moment before Amelia spoke again.

"I won't let you go, Zelgadis. Call me a selfish princess if you like, but I'm not letting you leave."

His eyes narrowed. Zelgadis turned around opening his mouth ready to lecture her when he suddenly met soft lips. Amelia pressed herself against him and wrapped her arms around him, trapping him in place. When she pulled away, his shocked expression said it all. She gave a slight smile. "I know what you're thinking. I could imagine it while I was in the procession, which was why I had to find you. Damn it, Zelgadis! How many times do I have to repeat myself?! Okay, so you're still part demon! Who cares?! Zelgadis, I was ready to love you for the rest of my life while you were still a Chimera! I don't care if your own grandfather did turn you into one! I love you for who you are! For the love of the gods, I was willing to give up my life to make you happy! Damn it! I did give up my life! And you," Amelia pointed her finger at him, poking him in the chest, "You brought me back to life because you said that being human wasn't worth it if I couldn't spend it with you! You said that, Zelgadis! Are you just going to take it back?"

"No…but-"

"All right then! So what if Daddy is a little excited. Having to tolerate my father was the price you had to pay for bringing me back to life. Do you regret it, Zelgadis? Are you now thinking that you should have just let me die and found yourself another good looking woman who would only love you if you were human?"

"No! Damn it, Amelia…"

"Then what is it? Why are you leaving me behind? If you're going to leave town to find some time to think, then, by the gods, take me with you! Don't leave me here with Daddy ranting and raving with you gone! That's cruel, Zelgadis." Amelia smiled at him. "I knew you were probably having doubts because you aren't good with people and the fact that you're still part demon. But, Zelgadis, don't think the people of Seyruun so base. They will love you just because you're different and the fact that you of all people won my heart! Zelgadis…" She took his hand. Zelgadis could only stare down at the soft palm holding his. "I love you, and no matter whether you decide to come to the palace or not, I am still going with you."

Zelgadis sighed heavily and abruptly pulled Amelia into his arms. "How long were you standing behind me before I turned around?"

"A good five minutes."

"Then you know I was already debating with myself if it was wise to leave you behind or not. I guess this settles it." He pulled back and gazed into her eyes. "Whether I leave Seyruun or not, you're still coming with me."

"You better believe it."

He groaned and Amelia pinched him. He smiled tenderly at her and held her close again. "Did your father really mean he was going to present me to Seyruun today and then again officially tonight?"

"Yes, but I'll make you a deal, Zelgadis."

He looked down into her eyes. She smiled up at him. "Pick one to actually show up to, and the other one I'll get you out of doing. But choose wisely. If you choose to show now, you can look all cold and heartless. But if you choose the engagement party then you have to dress up and act formal and the like. So…take your pick."

"Jeez, and here I thought you would actually lie to me because you wanted me to go to the party."

"I do, but it is your decision. Besides, I wouldn't lie to the man I love. It's unethical."

Zelgadis burst out laughing and took her lips in a thorough kiss. Afterwards, they sneakily headed to the palace, away from prying eyes. Or so they thought.

A group of five women, had been on the other side of the alley the entire time and had seen the entire exchange between Amelia and Zelgadis.

"Oh…that was just too romantic!"

"I had no idea the princess was so in love…"

"And boy, does she have good taste! What a hunk!"

"You're telling me! I haven't seen a guy that edible in years!"

"You know what I think…"

The other four turned to the one who had just spoken. "What?"

She grinned. "I think we should tell everyone about what we just heard! It's such a romantic story!"

"Yeah!"

So basically Zelgadis and Amelia were overheard by a group of severe gossipmongers, three of which were Vivienne, Morganna and Razelle. And before Amelia and Zelgadis even arrived in the palace, the entire kingdom had already heard the romantic tale of how a kind, selfless princess and a heartless, cursed warrior sorcerer had fallen in love. About his tragedy and trauma as a man who was turned into a Chimera by his own grandfather, but the princess had still loved him even though he felt unworthy and was always pushing her away. They learned about Amelia's heroic attempt to purify him and then to die so he could be happy and then his desperation to bring back to life and his success! And of course, the fact that even after the cure was broken some of it still remained in place by the power of the princess' love for him, making him only half demon and half human (instead of part Golem, part demon and part human).

By the time they were securely in Amelia's room, the entire kingdom had gathered around the palace to see the warrior sorcerer who had stolen the princess heart and had already captivated all of them. Zelgadis was the talk of the town. And neither he nor Amelia knew anything about it. Even the people in the castle had heard the rumors and those who knew Zelgadis from before and knew of Amelia's stubborn refusal to marry Lord Loubrev made the connection between the two. They added fuel to the fire by commenting that Amelia had known Zelgadis for at least five years and that he was the reason she was so determined not to marry Lord Harry Loubrev.

That made the people of Seyruun love Zelgadis even more. So when they finally stepped out to the balcony of the throne room, to face the mass crowd of people, Phil, Amelia and Zelgadis could only stare in shock. There were signs being waved by the people saying "Zelgadis! We love you!", "Princess Amelia and Zelgadis forever!", "Prince Zelgadis!", "When's the wedding?!", "Zelgadis ^_^ Kawaii!" and many other signs of the like. The people were bellowing their approval as King Phil, in confusion, slowly announced Amelia and Zelgadis' engagement.

When the three went back inside, Phil was the first to speak. "Well! That was some reception! Looks like Zelgadis is already popular! I better get the party planned for tonight!" He quickly left after that, still perplexed about how his people already knew about Zelgadis.

Amelia and Zel were pondering the same thing too. Finally, Amelia snapped her fingers in realization. Zelgadis turned to her, but her face was flushed. She turned to him with a crooked smile and said, "The only reason I could come up with is that someone had accidentally walked in on us while we were talking earlier and told her friends." She shrugged, her face still red.

Zelgadis' eyes were narrow and he was blushing a bit too. He turned to the open balcony. They could still here the screaming of the people for him. He turned back to Amelia. "That's a lot of friends."

She smiled sheepishly. "Well, look on the bright side! At least now you don't have to go to Dad's party. I'll cover for you so you don't have to go, kay?"

He sighed and Amelia got up. He blinked as she began to walk out of the room. "Hey! Where are you going?" He stood up as she turned to him with a smile.

"I have to go to the party. It wouldn't be prudent if both people the party is for don't show up. So I have to get ready. I'm going to take a bath first." She grinned as she wrapped her arms around him. "Care to join me?"

Zelgadis turned red. He opened his mouth to say something, but no words came out as she just smiled at him. He groaned and gave her a long, hard kiss that had Amelia gripping onto him for dear life. When he finally pulled away, she was breathless and dazed.

"Now, I must insist you join me in that bath."

Zelgadis burst out laughing and held her close. He motioned for a servant and pulled back with a grin. "Though the thought of joining you in that bath is irresistible, I'm sure you'd be surrounded by servants washing your back and your hair and…"

"You could do that," she said huskily. Zelgadis' eyes darkened as she stared into hers. The promises those eyes were making…

"Why the hell am I resisting?" He lifted his head and called a servant. He grinned wickedly and gave Amelia a brief glance. "Princess Amelia says she wants her bath. And she doesn't want any help."

Amelia giggled, her face flushed as she leaned her head against his chest. She turned to the servant with a smile and placed a finger over her lips with a wink. The servant (who just happened to be the same one who gave her the letter from Lina) only winked back.

Razelle couldn't help but grin as she left the room and made the tub and hot water appear before her.