Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Cain and Abel ❯ Disappointment ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Abel still sat at his computers, a smug grin on his face, typing away as per usual.
 
He spun round quickly when he heard the door swing open and slam against the wall, the door itself nearly falling off the hinges.
 
Abel looked at Cain, his grin subsiding, he almost looked disgusted that Cain was here.
 
“What happened to you?”
 
“Just a touch of trouble down at Club Rouge, that's all.”
 
Abel looked at him quizzically but decided not to press.
 
“Well whatever, it doesn't matter.” He said turning back to his computers. “What does matter is a fresh contract became available while you were gone.”
 
Cain limped over to view the monitor.
 
Abel continued “The payout is huge; it could easily cover us for the next 7 months or so.”
 
Cain was intrigued now “Who's the target?”
 
“It's a target close to home. It's the owner of that club you always visit. Goes by the name of Rouge.”
 
Abel finished, bringing up a picture of Rouge on the computer.
 
Cain's heart skipped a beat when the image appeared on the screen. Abel just sat, waiting intently for a sign of approval, whilst Cain stared blankly at the monitor.
 
Abel grew agitated at the delay “Well? Are you going to accept it or not?”
 
Cain continued to stare until finally turning from it “Turn it down” he said softly, limping towards the other room
 
“But Cain…” Abel tried to speak but was cut off abruptly.
 
“I said turn it down.” His voice raised slightly.
 
“But the money…” Abel was cut off once more.
 
“Damn it Abel, this runs deeper than money.” And with that he slammed the door to the side room leaving Abel nothing but a cloud of dust.
 
Cain sat down on a worn out old bed and reached over to a roll of bandages on a table. After dressing his injuries he looked at the solitary boarded up window, moonlight streaming through the cracks. He continued to look for the next few moments before losing himself in thought.