Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Blood ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The usual, I don't own any of the characters in SSO.

This is set after Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Revenge. This is based off the Anime only and the English ADV versions at that. Warning Spoilers!

Author's note: From this point on, the characters are growing and changing. This could be construed as being out of character but I will be doing my best to keep them as close to character as possible given the story I'm telling.

Chapter 16*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*

Realizing his time was almost up, Garik prepared to move to a different location. This required covering his tracks, quickly. He went to the ruins where he'd been imprisoned, and started blowing up the relics. He obliterated all the writings, and turned the casket he had been confined in completely to dust. This was vital, especially after he remembered that he'd written, among other things, the location of his primary fortress inside the casket.

He felt the presence of the Wolven pup and the sorcerer approaching the area where his cave hideout was located. He knew he still had a little time before they arrived. There were also three more sorcerers coming, and at least two or three adult Wolven, as well. The alliances were being renewed, and he needed to get out before they ensnared him. At least he'd gotten what he needed to regain his strength from that Huntress. Now all he had to do was sit back and brew the potions.

He started to return to his cave hideout when he sensed that the girl had gotten loose again and was heading for the exit. The Wolven pup and sorcerer suddenly appeared near the girl, like they'd teleported. With a cry of fury, he sped to the entrance of the cave.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Unbeknownst to Cleo and her companions, Orphen was sneaking up the other wall towards the same corner.

Cleo signaled Dortin and company to be quiet as she shifted her grasp on the pole she'd been using to stay upright, to hold it like a sword. She jumped out just as Orphen did the same. They shouted in surprise and Cleo dropped the pole in defeat, screaming "Not again!" She then proceeded to deck Orphen and sent him staggering back, almost falling. The recoil from the hit almost caused her to fall herself.

He glared at her like she'd completely lost her mind as he rubbed his sore jaw. `Damn' he thought, `she's got a good right hook.' Out loud he shouted, "What the hell was that for? I come to rescue you and this is the thanks I get?"

Leki launched himself into her arms, causing her to fall back against the wall. She sank to the ground with Leki and whispered, "Garik's doing it again. He's getting better at it. This one even had the right arrogance…."

In shock, Orphen realized for some reason, Cleo thought his arrival was a trick, "Cleo, it's really me, you stupid little idiot. Now let's get out of here." With that, he threw her over his shoulder and started running back to the entrance. He called to the others, "Follow us, but take cover once we get outside."

Once in the sun, he got a really good look at her. She was filthy, disheveled, and smelly, and, frankly, he'd never seen anything so beautiful in his whole life. He checked her from head to toe, to make sure she wasn't injured. Except for a few cuts on her arm, which he healed immediately, she had no visible injuries.

"Cleo, look at me. I don't know what happened in there, but it's really me. Ask me something only I would know."

"Uh…On the isle of Baltanders what..err, wait…No buzz."

"That's not a question."

Smiling and coming out of the stupor somewhat, "No buzz. It's really you." She launched herself at him. "What took you so long?"

"Feeling better?"

"Yes."

"Glad to hear it." He pushed her back with his hands on her shoulders and prepared to let her have it. "Now, don't you ever do that to me again. Do you realize what it felt like to think you were dead?"

In a small voice, she said, "Yes."

Orphen kept ranting like Cleo hadn't said anything. "I can't believe you didn't think to sic Leki on me when you first got captured. I've told you and told you I'd protect you, but your part of the deal is that you've got to say out of the line of fire, instead of running off and charging into danger. Now, let's get back. You have friends and family worrying about you." He started pulling her along, heading towards the mansion.

"Uh oh." Cleo stopped and whispered, as the now familiar buzz returned strongly. Cleo looked back towards the hill above the cave. Immediately after she tensed, Leki started growling viciously. "He's coming."

Orphen pushed her behind him, "Stay behind me!"

Suddenly, on the top of the hill appeared a gray monster with intense red eyes. It was about six feet tall, with claws on its hands and feet. It had huge, bat-like wings on its back and two straight, sword-like horns on its head. Orphen immediately recognized it as a Winged Demon, the strongest of the demon breed. "What the HELL?!? Those aren't supposed to exist anymore! But who cares, you hurt my Cleo, you bastard! `Verdict of Non-existence'." The spell hit the demon, and, to Orphen's complete shock, did absolutely nothing.

Laughing as he shook off Orphen's spell, the demon addressed Cleo. "This round goes to you and your pet sorcerer, my young Huntress. After ten centuries bound, I am not currently at my full strength, but there will come a time, soon, when my strength has returned. You and I will finish our business, then. You will help me, for I have an army to raise and a world to dominate."

"But first, a lesson about the cost of disobedience! And, remember, I know your weaknesses." He pointed at Leki, who was charging toward him, and cast "Verdict of Non-existence." Leki was too far away for Orphen to shield him, and Orphen wouldn't leave Cleo in case it was a feint. Cleo screamed "NO!" and with a speed Orphen didn't know she had, dove away from him, to land in front of the Wolven cub, in the path of the spell.

For a few moments, both were hidden in the glow of the explosions. "NO!! Cleo! Not again!" Orphen fell to his knees, utterly defeated.

He heard the demon above, laughing, "It seems the little Huntress is beginning to understand her power. Or, maybe, she really is that stupid." With that, he teleported away.

Cleo stood up and shook her fist in the direction where the Demon had been hovering and muttered, "I'll get you yet." She looked over at Orphen, saw him on his hands and knees, and ran to him, concerned. "Orphen, are you alright? What's wrong?" and then in surprise "…You're crying?"

Orphen couldn't believe it; she took that spell full on and lived? `Was the letter really true? Or maybe the spell just missed?' Frankly, he didn't care. He'd pushed his luck far enough. He was just grateful she was alive.

"I swore to myself when I first found out you weren't really dead that the first thing I'd do was tell you how I felt and never let you go. But when I finally find you, what do I do? I start one of our fights and you go and try to get yourself killed again." He stood up and turned away from her, "We keep getting second chances and blowing it. Maybe I just don't deserve…."

"Stop it. Don't you think that about yourself. You can do anything you set your mind to. This is just the way we are. I know that. I just ….oh, never mind." Inwardly, Cleo cringed and looked down, bracing herself for the declaration that he only cared for her as a sister.

He looked back where she was standing, now crying. She still believed in him, in spite of everything. She still believed in him and he had to live up to that expectation. "Cleo, look at me." He opened his arms and she stepped into them. "What were you about to say?" he asked gently. He held her in her arms, thanking the stars above that she still felt this way about him after everything that happened. He vowed that he would never loose her again.

"It's not important."

"Please."

Tensing and emotionally bracing herself, she decided to tell him what she'd been feeling. "It's just that I don't know how to tell you what's in my heart. I-I love you so much and I just wish, " looking down as she finished, "you needed me as much as I need you. That you cared for me more than just a kid sister who always needs saving."

Smiling at her, he made her look up at him, "Well…. you do always need saving, but I love you the way you are. I don't need another sister, but I need you. I was lost without you." Her eyes widened at the admission. She thought about pinching herself in case she was dreaming, when his next words brought her back to reality. Only Orphen would declare himself in one breath and berate her in the next. "However, that doesn't mean I'm not finished shouting at you about that last fool hardy stunt with Leki."

"Oh, I didn't think, beyond saving Leki."

"Of course not. You never do."

With a teasing smile, "And what's that supposed to mean Mister High and Mighty Sorcerer?"

"What do you think, Vixen?"

"I'll get you for that."

"No, I'll get you." With that, he pulled her closer, almost like he was trying to merge their forms, closed his eyes, bent his head down and kissed her. She closed her eyes too, leaned into him, and responded parting her lips. He accepted the invitation and deepened the kiss sliding his tongue between her lips into her mouth. When he felt her shudder and sag slightly, he slowly and reluctantly broke off the kiss and gazed worriedly into her face. The kiss had left her dizzy, or was that because she'd hardly eaten in four days?

Hartia, Majic and Azalie burst into the clearing just as Orphen and Cleo kissed. Hartia grabbed Majic by the back of his collar and pulled him back into the brush to watch. "So much for helping," Hartia whispered.

Majic looked on in shock, berating himself, "She's really alive, I gave her up. I was moving on, but she's really alive. What kind of friend am I?"

Azalie saw the expression on Majic's face and whispered in his ear, "The best. Someone tricked us all. You cast the spell revealing the ruse, never forget that." Grinning now, Azalie said in a louder voice to both Majic and Hartia, "We'd better get back before they do."

"I think maybe we should get back to the mansion…um…. well…. Cleo, you need a bath, bad."

"And you don't? pppeeewww." she tried to pull away from him playfully when her stomach made a loud hungry sound and she became really dizzy and light-headed. When he heard her stomach and saw her sway, his eyes clouded with worry again. He pulled her close again and realized she'd lost weight.

"Hungry?"

"Famished."

"Let's get home." He started to cast a transport spell.

"Wait," Cleo pulled away slightly and called out towards the bushes "Alik! Come here. Can you bring him, too? Or will we need to walk?"

Orphen watched as the boy, who couldn't have been more than ten, come out of the bushes from where he'd been hiding. He ran up to cling to Cleo. As Orphen realized the state the boy was in, he silently vowed to make Garik pay ten-fold for what he'd done to them. He kneeled and quickly examined the boy. He found a couple of small scraps and healed them. He was very surprised when the boy spoke, "That didn't burn like his did."

Orphen looked up at Cleo, worried, `What kind of Hell did these two go through? I don't care what it takes, I'm going to stop that demon! I'd forgotten about the Demon immunity to spells, but I'll find a way.' He stood back up and pulled Cleo and Alik close again.

"I can and I will. Home then, …well, in a second." Remembering something, he pointed his hand at the bushes and cast "Sword of Light" to send just Volcan flying towards town. Dortin trudged along after his brother to pick up the pieces.

Orphen sighed, "At least that worked. Felt good, too." He cast the transport spell, which delivered Cleo, Alik, and him to the foyer of the Everlasting mansion. Orphen felt himself sway a little after the transport, but considering how little he'd eaten or slept in the last few days, he figured he probably wasn't in much better shape than Cleo.

No one seemed particularly surprised when Orphen, Cleo and Alik arrived, although Mariabella swooned dramatically and collapsed, right into Harita's arms. When Tistiny saw them arrive, she hurried to embrace Cleo. She looked at Cleo and burst out crying happily. To Orphen, "Thank you. Thank you so much."

She then proceeded to pull Cleo away from Orphen. He knew her mother had every right but his arms suddenly felt strangely empty. He should have had them walk back, he didn't want to give up being alone with her so quickly.

"Come along, let's get you cleaned up." Tistiny turned to a servant and asked them to get the doctor from town to come up to the mansion. As she started up the stairs, she noticed Cleo's shadow, "Whom do we have here?"

"Mother, this is Alik Enduring. He was…with me while I was … away." A shadow appeared in Cleo's eyes indicating there was much more to what happened than what she said.

"Alik…really? But weren't they all …well, anyway…. I'm glad you're still with us, young Alik. Let's get you into a bath and cleaned up, too." She asked a servant to prepare a bath, a cot for the boy in Cleo's room, and arrange for clothes him.

Alik looked up at Cleo first and, when she smiled encouragingly, he nodded.

"I'll set up a tub in your room for him, Cleo, so he won't be to far away while you're bathing." Tistiny looked back at Orphen, who looked like he was at a loss for words. "We'll be back down shortly. Why don't you get cleaned up too?"

Tistiny got Cleo in the bath and silently vowed to burn the clothes. She was grateful her daughter was alive, but the pain from the memories she saw in Cleo's eyes really hurt. She was also very concerned for her health. Cleo was painfully thin, to the point her ribs could be counted, and the dirt coming off her wasn't dirt, but dried blood.

By that time, the bath for Alik was upstairs and ready. She started to bathe him and Mariabella had sent someone up with food, light fare for stomachs that had probably gone without anything for some time.

The poor boy was little more than a walking skeleton, but he seemed pretty resilient. She recognized the same spirit in him that she saw in Cleo and Caro. To her surprise, the boy's hair wasn't black, as it first appeared, but blonde. Like Cleo, most of the dirt was old blood. She dried him and put him in the clothes she'd sent a servant for. After he ate and drank a little, Tistiny cuddled him in her lap, and sang a soft lullaby until he was soundly asleep.

After a quick wash, Orphen camped out just outside Cleo's door. He didn't really want to eat, he wanted the doctor to get here to check Cleo out, and he wanted her to be finished with her bath so he could be near her again. Most of all, he was frustrated with himself at acting like a lovesick schoolboy.

He was pacing outside Cleo's room when Azalie came up the stairs. She'd asked Majic to let Hartia know that she wanted a few minutes alone with Orphen before they joined them.

Azalie observed Orphen pacing for a few moments before she spoke up, "I don't think wearing a hole in the carpet is going to speed anything up."

Orphen jumped slightly in surprise and glared at her.

"Relax, I suspect it's a normal reaction. Before the thundering herd comes up," Indicating Hartia, who'd just come out of the kitchen, following a blushing Mariabella and Majic, who'd been hovering by the bottom of the stairs. "I just wanted to make sure you were ready. You left with Leki and returned with Cleo and a young boy." He could see the teasing glint in Azalie's eye, "Naturally, we're curious about what happened?"

"I don't know all the details yet, but we're in a hell of a lot of trouble." With a slight grin, he looked at the door like he wanted to see through it. "It figures. It's her specialty, finding trouble. Only this time, it came after her."

Hartia and Majic arrived, not having been able to wait any longer. "H-How is she?" Majic stammered, looking guilty.

"She's in there and I'm out here. How the hell am I…." He saw Majic flinch, as well as his pained face, and stopped himself. "Sorry, I don't know yet. A servant took some food, well, broth, crackers, and water, in a few minutes ago."

"Krylancelo, what happened when you rescued her?" Hartia asked.

"Oh yeah, I rescued her alright, right in the middle of her escape. You know Cleo, she can't be a good damsel in distress and wait for the knight. She did most of the escape on her own, I just finished getting them out, after Leki got me there."

"Got you there?" Azalie asked.

"Yeah, he can teleport."

"Whoa!" Hartia said while Majic looked on in shock.

Azalie merely nodded and asked, "Who was she escaping from? Did you find out what the blood sorcerer wanted with Cleo?"

"If only it was a blood sorcerer, that I could handle, easy! But no, she had to catch the eye of a demon…. not just any demon, a damned winged demon with red eyes."

With great trepidation Hartia remembered Lai's vision. Before he asked his question, Hartia was silently praying. `Oh, no! Oh, please, deny it, Krylancelo. I don't want responsibility of trying to stop Lai's visions from coming true with that Hunter.'

"Glowing red eyes? Like in Lai's vision?" Hartia asked hesitantly.

Orphen ground out angrily, "SHIT!!!"

"But why her?" Azalie asked.

"Her father was a Hunter." Orphen replied, grinding his teeth. Things were starting to make sense, but he didn't like the way they came together one bit. "He thought she could be a one…In fact, the demon referred to her as a Huntress." Orphen remembered something Hartia had mentioned. "Hartia, you're out of job, I'm going to partner the Hunter at the Tower to take the demon out."

"The only partners Hunters are allowed are Tower sorcerers." Azalie pointed out.

"Just arrange it! As soon as they can travel, we're going to Alenhatan to give the rubbings, which I believe are from where it was sealed, to Stephanie for translation, and then we are going to the Tower."

"We need to get those to Stephanie now."

"I'm not leaving her!"

"Fine, get Majic to work on a copy. Actually, it would be a good idea to make two. Hartia, help him." Azalie said, exasperated.

Azalie was about to continue when everyone turned as the door to Cleo's room opened and Tistiny stepped out. Orphen was immediately and completely focused on the room. Tistiny smiled and opened the door wider to let him in. She started to go back in after him, but changed her mind, and quietly closed the door. "Give them some time alone." She said quietly to the gathered crowd, as there was a knock on the door downstairs.

Cleo was sitting on the bed in a simple blue dress brushing her hair with her back to the door. Alik was sound asleep on the cot Tistiny had brought into Cleo's room. Orphen stood just inside the door watching her for a few moments, just glad she was alive.

He reflected on what a near thing her escape had been. If Leki hadn't shown his new talent, they wouldn't have been out of the cave in time to get away. He remembered being completely shocked when, as he was sprinting to keep up with the pup, Leki suddenly stopped and acted like he heard something. Then he turned around to jump and slam into Orphen's chest. As soon as Leki touched him, they were teleported inside the cave.

Soon, Cleo became aware she wasn't alone and she turned to see Orphen watching her intently with a look on his face she hadn't seen before.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I was just watching you." He crossed to her.

"Why?"

"Oh…let me think. You were dead, now you're alive. I was just kind of enjoying the change."

"Oh…I'm sor…"

"Don't say you're sorry for something you had no control over."

"I …this is weird, I don't know what to say now."

"I don't either, but that doesn't change anything."

"Really?" Her eyes began to tear up slightly but she was smiling.

"Really." He leaned in, wrapped her in his arms and kissed her again.

"Well, it's about time" came Hartia's voice from the door with Majic peeking in from behind Hartia. Orphen started to jump up, but Cleo wouldn't let him go, so he just held her and stared daggers at them. "There are a lot of other people who would like to celebrate Cleo's return downstairs. It would be nice if the guest of honor were there. Licorice just got here for the funeral only to find out the funeral is… well, off. The priest is still there. Are you planning on making it a wedding?"

Orphen started looking around for something throw at Hartia when Cleo flung her brush at him. Orphen smiled, happy to see his feisty Cleo returning already. "Hartia, I'm in a good mood right now, but don't blow it. Go away."

"But what about…."

"Go away!" Cleo replied reaching for the empty plate.

Hartia and Majic ran out.

"Good mood?" she asked.

"Very, but he does have a point. As much as I want to keep you to myself, everyone will want to see you. You were sorely missed. Ready?"

"Sure." She smiled broadly and stood up. He scooped her up and carried her out of the room, to a chorus of her protests that she was perfectly capable of walking on her own, when she remembered another responsibility. "What about Alik?"

"He'll be fine for a few minutes, because you're not staying down there long. You need rest. You've got dark circles under your eyes."

"So do you."

"Well…" reluctant to tell her what a basket case he had been, "I need sleep too. And once you've rested, we'll talk more."

He insisted on carrying her downstairs and wouldn't let go. She was grateful for his presence, because he kept everyone from completely overwhelming her. She sat on the couch with her mother on one side and Orphen on the other.

She felt safe and comfortable for the first time in days. She was starting to nod off. When from a distance, she heard the buzz, which heralded Garik's activity. Even though she knew what it was, why it was happening, and that it was a long way off, it still sent a shiver down her spine.

She sat up, alert, just before they all heard a scream from upstairs. Alik had woken up alone. She stood up, wobbled, and was about to try to run for the stairs, when Orphen stopped her. He chanted "Towers of Heaven that Dance Around Me" and suddenly they were in the room with Alik. She ran to him, telling him it was all right. Orphen had to recover from another slight dizzy spell before joining her at Alik's side.

"But, but…. I heard him, he's gonna come for us. He's mad."

"Shhhh…I know, but he's a long ways away now."

"He was mad. …really mad …madder then when we escaped the first time."

"I know, I did something before we escaped I was pretty sure would make him angry."

"Angrier than when you spit in his face?" Orphen smiled at the boy's comment, in spite of his worry. `Leave it to Cleo to piss off a demon.'

"Yes, angrier than that."

"What did you do Cleo?" Orphen asked, steeling himself for what he might hear.

Just then outside on the balcony, they saw a large blue wolf place it's nose against the windows to Cleo's room. Orphen could tell it was a Wolven so he opened the window to let it in.

Cleo heard in her head, [I am Argenthua, I am guarding this den. I heard screams both inside and out. What is going on?] Quietly, she translated that to Orphen. The Wolven observed her and asked, [Is he your mate?] Leki yipped happily at the Wolven and to Cleo's surprise, she could hear, what Leki had to say [Yes he mate now.] The adult Wolven looked from Leki to Cleo, who blushed but didn't answer. [Or is he your protector?]

"Yes."

[Fine] the Wolven replied and she broadened her communication to include Orphen. [Explain what just happened.] Cleo started to translate when Orphen, looking unsurprised, shook his head and whispered, "I heard."

"I believe Garik just discovered that I smashed all the vials of my blood that he drew over the few days he held me captive. Alik, " she indicated the boy now hiding behind her, "and I both felt his … explosion of anger. I was downstairs when Alik woke up alone." Orphen held Cleo tighter, his mind reeling, `What did that monster do to her? I'm going to take him apart for hurting her.'

[Ah…that is good news indeed, for if Garik still needs your strength, his own is not yet complete. Destroying the vials was very smart for all of us. It will give you time to train, so you can be ready and able to face him before he becomes too strong.]

Cleo was leaning heavily on Orphen when the Wolven's words sunk in. To defeat him she would have to get near him again. She shivered in fear and her knees buckled. Orphen felt her reaction and did his best to lend her his strength.

[All three of you must rest before any more questions are asked or answered. Sleep. The Wolven are on guard, as per the old alliances.] Then the Wolven stepped outside and leapt off the balcony.

"I gather Garik is the demon I saw?"

Cleo nodded.

"All right, we'll deal with that later. You heard her, bed!"

"I ….you must have so many questions, I need to … " she pulled away from him and staggered to her dresser and opened a drawer. She pulled out her journal and flipped through it. "It's not here." She went into the drawer and started shuffling through it looking for something.

"Are you looking for a letter from your father?"

She stopped, "Yes, how'd you know?"

"Your mother had the journal with her one time when she talked to me, and I think it must have fallen out. I saw my former Master's writing on the map and was curious, so I read it. Now, no more delays. It's time to sleep."

"But…."

"Later. Sleep." He said as he guided her towards the bed.

There was a soft knock on the door, Hartia and a very tired looking Majic peered in. Majic asked, "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, but I'm putting her to bed." Orphen replied.

Hartia pushed Majic in the room, "I'll let everyone know that everything's fine. You need sleep too, Majic."

She got in bed and was asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow. Leki jumped up and curled himself around her head. Alik started to climb up in bed with her.

"Oh no, you don't." Orphen said as he picked up Alik and put him on the cot. Then he and Majic moved Alik and the cot to the side of Cleo's bed. Once close to Cleo, Alik fell into a sound sleep.

Majic pulled a chair up on the other side of Cleo's bed and was soon softly snoring. Orphen was pulling his boots, vest, belt and gloves off when he saw Hartia slip back in and take position in a chair by the fireplace. As Orphen settled in the bed beside Cleo to sleep, he looked at what he now knew was his family and felt content for the first time in a very long time. Together, they would face the difficult challenges ahead.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

End - Part One