Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ Velvet Flames ❯ Foresight ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

:: Velvet Flames ::

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen

Disclaimer: I don't own Sorcerous Stabber Orphen or any of the characters mentioned.

Rating: PG

Pairings: Krylancelo(Orphen)+Azari, Hartia+Krylancelo, Childman+Azari/Azari+Childman, eventual Krylancelo/Majic

Warnings: slight AU, more-than-likely OOC, mild shounen ai hints

Changes: Orphen will, for the most part, be known as Krylancelo, at least for the first few chapters

Notes: Just wanted to say that I hope the ending of this chapter satisfies you at least somewhat, Artemisa-san. And thank you, everyone, for reviewing this far. It really helps me keep going. ^^

Cold, clammy hands fumbled to open the door. He was frightened, frightened to tears. He tried not to sob aloud; God knew what would happen if his teacher found him out this late.

He finally managed to make his hands work and pushed the door opened. It creaked loudly, making him cringe, but no one came to investigate so he scrambled inside, shutting the door a little too loudly. His heart was pounding against his chest, making him pant softly as he tried to calm himself. He was safe now. He was safe...

He kept reminding himself this as he collapsed on his bed, mind unwillingly wandering back to the earlier scene. He had been preparing himself to tell all, ready to give him his most valued possession...

And after that all he remembered was a frightening aura, furious bright red eyes glaring at him accusingly. Words cut through him like cold broken glass, making him more than glad to flee the room for the safety and comfort of his own.

'How can Krylancelo-sama like her?' he wondered, wiping tears away with the back of his hand. 'She's... Scary. Does he only like scary people?' Would he have to be scary, too, to get Krylancelo to accept him?

He tugged on the thin chain lightly, pulling out the wedding band dangling on it. He eyed it for a few minutes, wondering... He had to give it to him somehow. But now, away from him, he was too embarrassed to just approach him and give it to him.

But then... How?

"Krylancelo!"

The red-haired boy was blatantly ignored while Krylancelo fumbled with the door before he finally opened it, dashing inside and frantically tearing his room apart. It seemed like he was looking for something.

Hartia sighed as he stood in the doorway, arms folded as he glanced around nervously. "Krylancelo, forget about it. It was just a--"

"It's important!" his friend snapped, his voice seeming a bit higher than usual. "I need it!"

Hartia tried not to smile. Though Krylancelo knew not who had given him the special gift, he had apparently taken a great liking to it. It was most likely because of the note left behind. Krylancelo had disposed of it, but Hartia remembered clearly what had been written. The details were as sharp as though it had happened only moments before, though a good few weeks had passed...

"We're going to be late because of you," Hartia complained while watching his best friend grab what he hoped would be the right book.

"You didn't have to come," Krylancelo snapped, shoving the book into his bag. A small clattering noise grabbed both boys' attention. Glancing down, Krylancelo was surprised to see a thin silver chain. He picked it up. There was a gold charm-- No, a gold ring. And the gemstone gleamed dark red, like a drop of sparkling blood.

Both of Hartia's eyebrows rose in surprise. He recognized that ring. It was Majic's.

The expression on Krylancelo's face clearly told him that he had no idea who it really belonged to.

"It's not yours?" Hartia asked mildly, feigning ignorance.

Krylancelo shot him a dark look. "No. Why would I need something so... So..." His voice trailed off and he settled for shrugging his shoulders. "It's not mine."

Hartia hid a smirk by quickly looking away, trying to appear uncaring. "Look, Krylancelo, we'll be late..."

Realizing his friend was right Krylancelo dashed out the door, Hartia on his heels. It wasn't until he opened his book that he realized there had been something else with the necklace. On a small folded piece of paper in tiny, very neat handwriting, was a written letter. While Hartia wasn't looking, Krylancelo scanned the short message, pausing to re-read it again as confusion built up.

- Give this to the one you want most to protect. You'll know when the time is appropriate.

That was it. There was nothing, not even a name signed.

"Hartia," he muttered under his breath. "Look at this..."

Krylancelo breathed a sigh of relief, clasping the silver chain around his neck. "Found it," he said in a calm voice, unable to keep from smiling.

Hartia wrinkled his nose. "Weren't you the one who said you had no use for such things?"

Krylancelo shrugged. "I might want to give it to Azari someday," he explained. "She might like it."

The golden-eyed boy said nothing, though he was inwardly worried. How would Majic feel if he found out Krylancelo gave his precious treasure to Azari?

"So why don't you?"

One moment he was looking into sienna-coloured eyes, the next they were dancing around the room as his friend's discomfort was displayed. "I don't feel comfortable giving it to her... Yet," he added hastily.

Hartia nodded and was about to comment, but then a knock interrupted both of them. They turned to see Rai, another one of Childman's students, standing in the doorway. His expression was, as always; blank, his soft green hair covering one eye.

"Childman-sensei wishes to speak with you, Krylancelo," he said in his soft, level voice.

Krylancelo winced and sighed, rushing past him without another word. Hartia stared at Rai for a long moment before glancing at a now-worn folded piece of paper on Krylancelo's desk. He picked it up, scanned it, and then handed it to the top divination student.

"Care to explain this?" he asked calmly.

For the first time in a while, one corner of Rai's mouth lifted in almost a smirk. "You're quick."

"Only you would speak in this sort of manner," Hartia replied simply, leaning back against a wall. "So?"

"It's none of my business," Rai replied. "He was the dictator. I just wrote so Krylancelo wouldn't suspect him. Adorable child, really."

"He asked you?"

Rai almost smirked again. "No. But he was going to ask someone that surely would have embarrassed him to no end, so I offered."

Hartia shook his head; amazed that Rai would have offered. Majic was, after all, Flameheart's student. Normally the three of them regarded the said teacher's pupils as annoying and arrogant as their teacher, but Majic was clearly proving them wrong.

"Too bad he's not Childman's student," Rai murmured as he walked out the door. "It would make everything easier on him in the future..."

Hartia stared after him in confusion. What was going to happen in the future? Then he realized that Rai was probably just toying with his mind. His powers were to seek things out, catch small glimpses of the future in very rare moments, important things, not see all of the future and every trivial thing.

Even still, he felt slightly uneasy.