Soul Calibur - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Repenting Sinner ❯ Siegfried's New Beginning ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
Margaret had awakened before anyone else had. She quietly crept to from her room and went upstairs to check on Jocelyn. The beauty was fast asleep hugging her pillow. This was the must comfortable sight she'd seen in the girl ever since she came to live with her. She had seen the girl breakdown and cry several times but whenever she asked what it was she insisted it was nothing. Jocelyn was nothing sleeping with a content smile on her face. Margaret knew indeed what it was that was flowing through the girl's mind. Margaret closed the girl's door and walked four steps down the hall to find her son awake. “Siegfried, darling you should be asleep.”
 
“I couldn't sleep mother. I was looking at the stars and thinking about… well I-”
 
“He's happy that you're home. Your father is glad to know that you're safe and sound at home with me. He wouldn't ask for anything more. Whatever happened to you while you were away from me is gone. Just you rest and see. Your life is taking a new turn my love. You'll see tomorrow. Right now it's time for you to sleep.” Margaret kissed Siegfried's head tenderly and left the room. Once she was gone Siegfried stayed up longer to look out into the night. His mother was right. His life was going to change from this point on and it was time to lay the past to rest.
 
The following morning both Siegfried and Margaret woke to the smell of breakfast. Jocelyn had made eggs, ham and porridge with a glass of fresh orange juice to go along with it. The young beauty was dressed in a violet dress and her hair tied up into a bun. “Good morning. I thought you two would like breakfast.”
 
“That's wonderful of you Jocelyn. I would like for you to sit and join us.”
 
Margaret's request would have to go unfulfilled. Jocelyn had errands to run. The quilts that Josephine Weinberg had asked for were ready and Solomon Greenley had fresh milk for sale. She had to start her chores for the day immediately. She also wanted to give Margaret and Siegfried sometime alone. And so, Jocelyn curtsied gracefully and left the house to begin her day's work. While she was gone Siegfried and Margaret dined on the breakfast Jocelyn had made. “She made it with cinnamon and sugar Siegfried. I told her how much you liked it as a boy. She must had made it especially for you.” Margaret said as she began to cut her ham. Siegfried nodded as a spooned the porridge from his bowl. The sweet taste of cinnamon sugar danced in his mouth with each bite. It felt like he was a boy again. Even when his father was alive, Fredrick never dined with them. He was an early bird and he worked on their land on others. He plowed while Margaret planted flowers, picked fruit and sold them. She also made a living making dresses for the young women in the village. All this was done while Siegfried played near the great lake. Siegfried knew those times could be recaptured but he could still find his old friends. “Mother, whatever happened to Bryant , Leraje, and Ester? Are they still here in town?”
 
Margaret smiled sweetly to Siegfried. His childhood friends had refused to leave home to wait for their friend to return home. What he didn't know was that Margaret had never told them what happened to Siegfried. She had told everyone in the town that he had left home to find the evil energy that killed her husband. “Mother-”
 
“I didn't want anyone to think differently of you. They've been waiting for you to return home Siegfried. When you're finished I want you to go see them.” Margaret cleared her place at the table while Siegfried stared at his bowl. Could he really face his friends after all these years? He had to try. He finished his breakfast, bathed and put on a pair of pants and a shirt. When Siegfried stepped out of the house the first person to see him was Ella Parkins. She almost dropped the goat she was holding when she saw him but she didn't. She placed it back in its pin, closed it tight and rushed over to Siegfried. “May god be praised for bringing you home! Abner! Abner look here! Siegfried's come home!” Ella called. Ella's husband Abner came from around their house to see Siegfried. Abner was Siegfried's father's best friend. He was just as he had always been. Straw farmer's hat, pants dirty from working with the horses and he had cut his blonde hair so that it touched the back of his neck. “Hey there boy! I see you grown up to be just like your father! Look just like `em I swear!”
 
“Abner it's good to see you but I have to find Bryant, Leraje and Ester. Have you seen them?”
 
“Nope, they're all at home. I'd go see that Ester. She's been wanting to see you.”
 
Siegfried thanked Abner and walked down the road to Ester's house. When he arrived the first person he noticed was a child around the age of four. She had auburn colored hair and sparkling blue eyes. In her hand was a cute doll and behind her was a golden retrieve. “What's your name mister? Are you a friend of my mommy's?”
 
“Helen I told you not to leave the yard! Oh god… Siegfried?”
 
“It's good to see you too Ester.”
 
Ester wrapped her arms around Siegfried and hugged him tightly. She held his face in her hands and kissed his cheeks. “Siegfried! Siegfried Siegfried! Margaret has been worried sick about you. You ran away so long ago I thought you might have died out there. Bryant come out here!!!”
 
“You and Bryant? I thought you hated him.”
 
Ester chuckled at Siegfried. She scooped Helen up off the ground and led Siegfried into her house. “Bryant, Leraje and Samuel built the house. Leraje settled down as well. He's married to Catherine Eldon. They don't have any children yet but we all know they'll come. Little Helen came to Bryant and me so I know their children will come. Where is your father Helen? Bryant!!! Bryant will you come here?”
 
Bryant walked in through the back door and almost dropped dead where he told. Within two seconds the two men were hugging and patting each other on the back. “Well look atcha! Grew up just like your pops. You have to join us for dinner tonight. It'll be your homecoming. You, me, Ester, Leraje, Catherine, your mother and Jocelyn. Have you been home Siegfried?” Bryant asked.
 
“Yes and I wanted to ask you guys something. Do you know where Jocelyn came from? Do you know anything about her home?”
 
Ester and Bryant looked at one another until finally Bryant took Helen outside to feed the chickens. Ester had offered Siegfried a cup of wine but he declined. He wanted and needed the answers and his friends always told him what it was that he wanted to know. “Siegfried, about four months ago Jocelyn Provance came to our town. She looked terrible. I was coming down the road with Helen and Bryant when I saw Margaret speaking with her. I was there when she took her in. The girl is from Europe no doubt. I'm guessing France. And if that's the case you might want to be specific. There's a place called Romanian Valley. There's been talk that they're evil aura about that place. If the girl was there then something dreadful must have happened to her. Oh lord, she didn't say anything about his family but she did murmur the name Rosalina in her sleep. It must be a relative of hers. Siegfried you know how I jumped to conclusions dear you must find out what is troubling her. Margaret catches the girl crying often. Please do see what it is that makes her heart ache.”
 
With the information that Siegfried obtained he was definitely going to make good use of it. Tonight after supper he'd confront her about everything. If she was from the Romanian Valley then that means she knew something of the evil energy. Siegfried needed to know. He thanked Ester and hated to leave but he had one more stop to make. “I'm going to see Leraje.”
 
“Leraje isn't home now dear. He left for India three days ago. He should be returning soon. I can't say when though. But if you stick around he'll be back. Bryant and I will be over for dinner tonight. I'm sure Margaret would love some of my cornbread and sweet potatoes.” Ester led Siegfried to the door but before he left she embraced him once more. “It's been so long Siegfried. I'm so glad you've come home. Bryant, Leraje and I have missed you but more importantly your mother. We're glad to have you home.”
 
Ester's words touched Siegfried's heart. It was good to see that she and Bryant were alive and well. Hopefully Leraje would return home soon. As he walked home he looked around the town at all the thing he had fled from. There were some new faces around but the people had had grown with her still there. At least, most of them were. Ester and Bryant were there and that was all that really mattered. Maybe they stayed behind to wait for him. Perhaps that was the reason they never settled elsewhere. He was grateful though. “Siegfried!”
 
“Jocelyn. Here let me help you. I'll carry the milk bottles.”
 
Jocelyn handed the bag that held her milk, cream and eggs while she carried home the deer meat and bread. As they walked home together Siegfried wondered home Jocelyn could have carried everyone on her own. “Do you always carry this alone?”
 
“No not at all. Patricia's son Harlan helps me a lot but I didn't want to disturb him. He had milk to deliver. Everyone in town says that he attracted to me but I don't pay any mind to it. How about you? Abner and Ella always wanted to marry their daughter Bridgette off to you. Would you accept her?”
 
Jocelyn had struck up many conversations to keep Siegfried from asking her about the evil energy. Why did she have to be so difficult? Oh yes, there was only one explanation. She was a woman and women were always so difficult. When they arrived home Siegfried announced to his mother that Ester and Bryant would be coming over for supper. “I must have the best wine then. Thank goodness I was able to get some from Leraje when he visited England. I hope he returns from India soon. Catherine has missed him terribly. No more chores today Jocelyn. Tonight Siegfried and his friends will reunite and I want them to have a nice dinner.” Margaret took the milk and cream to the cooling box on the back patio when Jocelyn began to season the venison. Tonight she'd make deer in a stew with potatoes, carrots and pearl onions. She was tired of eating rice all the time but thankfully Leraje had brought Polenta from his trip to India. It would be simple to make seeing as how it was a type of pasta. Just cover and steam. No problem at all. When Jocelyn went outside to gather the pearl onions from the cooling box she almost ran into Siegfried. “Jocelyn may I ask you a question?”
 
“Of course but you must be quick about it. I've decided to make sweet bread tonight.”
 
“What part of Europe are you from? Northern or Southern?”
 
“Northern why?”
 
“There have been rumors that a place called Romanian Valley is drenched in evil energy and I wanted to know if you or anyone in your family has come in contact with that evil energy.”
 
Jocelyn's mouth formed a small gasped but she assured Siegfried that she never lived in the Romanian Valley. She told him that she lived in the mountains north of there. “We've been an isolated town. Small but cheery.” She told him as she walked by. Still Siegfried didn't buy her answer for one minute. “And not one person has come to your town from that place? When you arrived here you were bruised and torn. What happened to you?”
 
“Bandits came and attacked me. I ran as fast as I could and-”
 
“That enough of your lying Jocelyn. You can fool mother but you can't fool me! I know you lived in the Romanian Valley. Tell me what's happened there!”
 
Jocelyn shook her head and rushed out of the back door but Siegfried followed after her and caught hold of her arm. “Let me go!! I'm not going back!!! I know about you Siegfried. I heard rumors! Everyone knows about you Nightmare.”
 
“Do not call me Nightmare!”
 
Siegfried shoved Jocelyn on the ground when she called him Nightmare. He had cast away that name along with his sin. When Jocelyn called him by that name he felt the guilt and hatred from his past return. “You never call me that!”
 
“Siegfried stop it! Do not hurt Jocelyn. She knows the pain of going mad cause by evil energy! It still lingers in her.”
 
Margaret came outside to Jocelyn and held the young woman in her arms. She knew she had taught Siegfried better than to lay hands on a woman violently. She wanted to slap his face but now wasn't the time to do so. She helped Jocelyn to her feet and began to explain to Siegfried. “When Jocelyn arrived she was battered and bruised by bandits as she said but she had savagely murdered them. In fear of what she had done she fled and came here. I found her stumbling down the road when I first saw her. She still has traces of that evil within her. I'm able to suppress it with the magic that I learned years ago. Never told anyone I knew of witchcraft. Now that you've returned you can help her. There is someone out there with something called `The Holy Stone.' You must travel to Asia and ask that he remove this curse from her. Please Siegfried.”
 
Siegfried couldn't say no to his mother. She knew he was capable to beat the evil energy with him and take back his body and sanity. “Fine, I'll leave right away.” Siegfried walked inside to prepare clothes and food for traveling. It was an awkward time to leave but time couldn't be wasted when evil energy was involved. Could it possibly be Soul Edge? He thought that as he was packing for his trip. He had some money left over. He'd find another way to obtain more. He could never ask Margaret for anything. Once he was ready to go Siegfried came downstairs to see Bryant and Ester downstairs. “Bryant … Ester… I-”
 
“Your mother told us everything. We aren't going to let you endure this alone. We're coming with you. Helen will stay here with Margaret if it's no trouble.” Bryant looked to Margaret for comfort and found it behind that sunny smile of hers. “Thank you for accompanying my son.”
 
“They aren't going without me Margaret. This is all because of me and I don't want you guys to die on my behalf.” Siegfried had no intention of dying for the cursed girl. If he should die, he did it for Margaret and his friends. Jocelyn meant nothing to him. Margaret took Siegfried's hand and kissed it gently. “Take care my son. Come back alive.”
 
“I will mother. After this never again will I leave you alone.”
 
Siegfried released his mother's hand and went to join his friends and Jocelyn. Once again he was on a quest to seal away the evil. This time he wasn't alone and if he died, he died knowing that his mother loved him and his friends beside him.