Spider Riders Fan Fiction ❯ Chain of Command ❯ The Uncertain Future ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2- The Uncertain Future
Buguese walked toward the cliff and stationed himself behind Aqune. He expected that she was aware of his presence, but decided to wait for her to react. In a few seconds, Aqune did turn herself around.
“Yes, Buguese?” she questioned, waiting for an order.
“You've been standing here for quite a while,” Buguese commented. “What's so appealing about this cliff?”
“Um…” said Aqune, surprised by his question. “I guess it's just peaceful here… and as far away from the fortress as I can go for now.”
“I see,” said Buguese. “Well if you like this place, then we shall use it. There's something I've been meaning to talk with you about lately.”
“Yes,” said Aqune.
“I…” began Buguese. “My Aqune, I'm not even certain how to begin. What I wanted to discuss was… your future and the future of the Insector race.”
“By that do you mean…” Aqune started.
“All I mean is, where do your loyalties lie?”
“With your race,” said Aqune. “For the time being, anyway. But my personal duty is to listen to the Oracle. She tells me that the Spider Riders are not my enemies, even if they're yours. Therefore, I do not wish to hurt them or fight against them.”
“So long as you are in our service, the Spider Riders are your enemy,” Buguese replied.
“I know that,” said Aqune. “But I don't really understand why it has to be that way. What makes the Spider Riders' motives wrong? Whenever I'm with them, I've felt nothing but good intentions from them.”
“They may not be evil by nature, but they are our enemies simply because their cause differs from ours. For us Insectors to achieve victory, it is a necessity that we possess all four Oracle Keys… and you. But if you do not remain loyal to us, then we will have no way to activate the power of the Oracle Keys. You're vital to us.”
“That I also understand,” said Aqune. She paused for a minute, diverting her gaze toward the ground, rather than at the person in front of her. However, she could only do so for so long. “Buguese,” she said. “What would happen if somehow you were able to achieve victory without my powers?”
“If you were never of use to us from the start, then you would also be my enemy. You're merely a human and a Spider Rider at that. However, if you mean that at this point your usefulness ran out, I'm really not sure. Perhaps it would be of value to possess a Spider Rider anyway. Then again, there are other reasons in which I might want you.”
Buguese looked at Aqune in admiration. In respects, he didn't want Aqune to know the meaning behind his words, but it couldn't hurt.
“What kind of reasons?” asked Aqune curiously.
“That's not important,” said Buguese. “But my answer is that you would still be mine. Nothing is going to change. From the start, that was what this talk was about. I was just hoping to hear that you would continue to be loyal to us willingly, so that I would not have to concern myself in keeping you on our side forcefully. However, I'm left with no choice.”
“Right,” said Aqune, her expression turning increasingly solemn. She didn't know where it came from, but she couldn't stop herself as she shed a small tear.
What surprised her even further was that Buguese moved his hand toward her face. He used his finger to wipe the tear from her, and then quickly moved his hand back to his side.
“Aqune,” he sated. “We must go now. We have a lot of work to do.”
“Yes, Buguese,” said Aqune, who followed him back inside the fortress.
Soon after, Beerain reported back to Cicadon and his soldier ally.
“Hey, it's her again!” said the soldier.
“I've been keeping an eye on Buguese and Aqune,” said Beerain. “However, I've certainly seen enough for one day. Anyway, I'm certain that you'll soon get the opportunity to begin your operation. Both Buguese and Aqune like their time alone, so it will be easier to get Aqune without interference.”
“But of course we'll need Buguese to know that we have Aqune,” Cicadon commented.
“Don't worry,” said Beerain. “When the time comes, I'll take care of that. I can keep Buguese calm for long enough.”
“Good to hear,” said Cicadon. “I shall begin shortly. Will you help me, my new friend?”
“Eh… I dunno,” said the soldier. “If you wanna risk your neck for a human and a promotion then I admire that, but I'm not sure if I'm crazy enough to join you, myself.”
“What if I were to sweeten the deal?” suggested Cicadon. “I could offer you a promotion as a reward. You could then be a commander.”
“Hmm… that's a tempting deal,” said the soldier. “I think I'll take you up on it.”
“That's good to hear,” said Cicadon. “You have a cunning mind, so you'd be of great help.” He then walked away, as his new assistant followed. Soon after, he spotted Aqune, alone in the Oracle shrine room. He grinned with satisfaction. His opportunity had arrived even sooner than he expected and so he would not pass it up.