Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ /The Chronicles of Pain: Doon's Story/ ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author’s Note: Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I do not own the Teen titans, but I do however own my character, Doon. (Um… I seriously don’t know if I need to do this next disclaimer or not, but better to be safe than sorry) I don’t own Google or Yahoo. ~Chapter Four~ “Warehouse 7”  

The rest of the week that led up to Saturday had been dull and uneventful for the most part. Some small time criminals had tried petty crimes, and the Team had somewhat easily taken them out. The rest of the week, the Titans had lounged around the T Tower, basically relaxing and getting to know each other. Well, most of them had relaxed.

The work crazed detective, Robin, had been doing non-stop research on both the news anchor and the note writer by looking up similar incidents. His mind was racing by Saturday and he was ready to get some answers.

The Titans were traveling towards Warehouse 7 in the dark, and the rain. When they arrived, it was pouring down on them. They walked through the metal doors and into the dark building. There was a shadowy figure waiting for them. It wasn’t the same one on the roof, but was shaped like the news anchor‘s silhouette.

“Ah, the Titans. I’ve heard many good things. Your performance was very impressive too.”

Robin’s eyes widened. The note writer and news anchor were one and the same? The man laughed from his position leaning against the storage crates.

“Yes. I’m the one who wrote you the notes, and intercepted the news. You don’t catch on very fast, do you? I expected this from them,” he gestured towards Raven, Starfire, BB, and Cyborg. “But not you Robin. I’m disappointed.”

“Why should I care what you think?” Robin snapped.

“Because Robin, I’m going to have a lot of influence in your life.”

“Whatever that means.” Robin said.

“But I didn’t call you here to answer your questions. I called you here to propose an offer.”

“Why would we even think about doing business with scum like you?” the leader snapped.

“Because I have something that the Titans care about dearly in the palm of my hand, and I’ll show no hesitation to crush it if you don’t accept my offer.”

Robin hesitated to speak. He regretted it instantly. It showed weakness and insecurity in his opinion.

“What’s this important thing?” he tried to regain his confident tone.

“Why, Jump City of course. Your cause, the thing you strive to protect.”

“Why should we believe you have the power to destroy this city?” Raven asked, displaying her own menacing tone.

“Your about to see.” he spoke shortly, but with confidence. His voice never faltered, and it had an inhuman sound to it, very eerie.

Suddenly, they heard a rumbling noise and the ground underneath them began to shake. Then it started to crack. A huge crack ran its way from one side of the warehouse to the other. The Titans jumped out of the way just before the floor split and gave way beneath their feet. Starfire quickly grabbed Robin and took flight. BB got Cyborg in his claws after he formed into a pterodactyl and they rose in the air. Raven levitated. The man fell through the floor and landed gracefully a few stories below. The Titans pursued him and descended onto the ground. They formed into their battle positions.

They could see that they were in some sort of factory setting. It was lit far above and made the room shine a red tint. It had spinning pistons, moving levers, and all sorts of moving machinery.

The man was now illuminated red, making him seem like the devil himself. He wore a black and orange mask, with a slit for one of his eyes. He wore a black shirt and pants, with gray boots, armor, and a utility belt with unknown contents.

They stared at him, trying to take it all in.

“Who are you?” Robin asked in a shocked tone.

“I’m your worst nightmare.” he said before he jumped into the air, and disappeared.

The Titans whipped their heads around, trying to locate the man. Then they saw him. He was jumping around on the many levels of the room, trying to confuse the Titans.

Robin didn’t know why he felt the burning hatred that he did for this man, but he did. Sure, he should dislike him, he was the enemy, but not this much.

Robin leapt into action and began chasing after the strange man. He chased him until they were both positioned on top of a tower of crates. They exchanged glares. They circled around each other. They leapt into action.

The man was the first to act. He threw a punch at Robin’s face. Robin didn’t see it coming so he received the hit full blast. Then he quickly received a kick in the stomach, followed by the man tripping him. He lay on the crates for a few seconds, recovering, then he leapt up.

He took out his pole, extended it, and quickly started dealing blows to the man. The rest of the Titans traveled up to where they were and began attacking him. He blocked their attacks and traveled further up to the roof. He seemed to nod to someone to the right of himself as he traveled towards the hole in the bottom of Warehouse 7.

Robin was right on his tail, his footsteps were exactly where the man’s had been. The rest of the Titans weren’t far behind. Robin and the man emerged through the hole while the rest of Titans were delayed by an invisible barrier.

They pounded on it and tried to blast it, levitate things at it, shoot it, and in BB’s case ram it, but it didn’t budge. They were stuck there while Robin dealt with the villain. Well, this sucks.

Robin dashed after this strange new enemy, all the while wondering what his intentions were, what did he mean by his threats, blah blah blah. But the real question was: what was this guy’s name?

Suddenly the man tore up a set of stairs and through a door. Robin was right behind him. They appeared on the roof. He turned to face Robin, he wore a very sinister grin.

“Very impressive Robin.”

“Shut up. What’s your name?” Robin asked.

“I thought I was supposed to shut up.” the man remarked.

Robin groaned. “I’m getting sick of you. Now tell me, what is your name?”

The man suddenly threw a few kicks at Robins face and chest. Two hit their target, Robin blocked the other. He retaliated with a punch at the taller man. The man stumbled half a step then threw a hard hit square at Robin’s nose.

Star’s erupted in Robin’s eyes as he felt blood running its way down his face. He stumbled, then felt another strong punch go strait to his stomach. The breath left him with a WHOOSH. He felt the dizziness still, so he wasn’t able to block the next kick that was directed at his chest. He fell to the ground, wheezing and coughing. He saw the man bend down next to him.

“My name is Slade. We‘ll be seeing each other very often now, so don‘t forget it.” Slade rose and went to the edge of the roof.

“’Till we meet again, Robin.” He jumped off and Robin heard him land and start to run.

He heard the rest of the team come up next to him and he sat up. He took deep breaths through his mouth and used his sleeve to wipe some blood away from his nose.

He stood and addressed the rest of the team.

“Let’s go back to the Tower. He’s gone.”

Starfire grabbed Robin by his arms and took off. Raven flew close after them, and Beast Boy morphed and took off with Cyborg in his talons.

………………………& #8230;……....................................................... .....................................................................

Ba ck at the Tower, Robin had explained what happened on the roof, and the rest of the team had told him about the force field.

“Slade, eh? Another bad guy, just what we need…” Cyborg sarcastically said.

Robin was sitting on the couch next to Star and Cyborg, Raven and Beast Boy were seated on the two ends.

“We need to find out who this force field caster is. First they help us, then they try to stop us. We know one thing for sure, though. They’ve only appeared when Slade is around.” Robin said.

“But that may be a good thing, maybe they were trying to warn us of something when they blocked us.” Cyborg said.

“They’ve helped us more than they’ve hindered us.” Raven commented.

“Oh, I wish the mysteries would cease.” Starfire whined.

There was a pause. A very long, awkward pause.

“What do you get when you cross a parrot with a centipede?” Beast Boy looked around the room to see who the lucky person who got to answer was.

Raven gave him a “ask-me-and-I’ll-kill-you” look to him, Cyborg looked like he couldn’t be less interested in him, Robin looked annoyed, so he gestured for Star to answer.

She looked extremely confused. “Please friends, what is the centipede, and what is the parrot?”

“A walkie-talkie!” BB responded, with a fading smile on his face.

Everyone intensified their negative moods, BB looked extremely disappointed, and Starfire was left in extreme confusion.

After a few more minutes of silence, Cyborg stretched and yawned.

“I’m beat. I’ll see you guys in the morning.” he stood and left for his room.

Raven, BB, and Star left shortly afterwards. Robin was still in his train of thought, and he didn’t even notice when he left to go to his room.

He arrived at his door and saw Starfire emerge from the bathroom. She wore a pair of pink silky pajamas and some purple bunny slippers. He had to admit he stared at her for a minute after they waved and said good night to each other.

She’s so pretty… He mentally scolded himself. This isn’t the time for love, Robin. Get it together. His thoughts redirected back to Slade.

He went into his room, stripped down to his white t-shirt and boxers, and got under his covers. He buried his head into his pillow and tried to get some sleep.

Fifteen minutes passed and he still couldn’t get some shut eye. With a groan, he sat up in bed and went over to his computer. He typed in the search word “Slade” into his crime database and no entries popped up. Ok, so that idea flunked. He typed in “Slade” into Yahoo. Sometimes this proved to be helpful, as he had found out numerous times.

He let out an annoyed sigh. About a thousand links about some band named Slade. Google had the same thing.

He rose to his feet and began to pace. The same old questions arose to his mind. Who is this mysterious force field caster? What does Slade have to do with them? Why did they help us? Did they have a score to settle with Slade? Maybe it was just a confusion of powers when they held some of the team back. Do they know anything about Slade?

He thought maybe he would be able to clear his head of all this if he went to the roof. He pulled on a jacket and headed there.

He arrived and sat on the edge of it with his legs dangling over the edge. It was a breezy warm summer night in Jump City. As he sat, he let the wind blow away all of his confusing thoughts and he let the wonderful feeling of the warmth caress against his skin. Little did he know, he was not alone.

………………………&# 8230;……........................................................ ....................................................................

Doo n let out a sigh of contentment as she flew to Titans Tower. The air on her face felt good. She emerged out of the city buildings and flew a little lower over the water. She took in every one of the smells, sounds, and even the tastes that she encountered. It wasn’t very often that she got out.

She slowed as she approached the tall “T” shaped tower. She thought it looked marvelous, even better close up like this. She pulled her legs to the front of her and started to sink lower until she landed soundlessly on the ground in front of the Tower. She was wearing a long, black cloak that, with the hood up like it was, covered her entire body. Except her eyes, of course. Speaking of her eyes, it was time to put in the emerald contacts again. She looked into the building as a mirror, and she applied them to her normally aqua eyes.

Her hair came next. On that cursed day she killed her mother, the outburst of powers had left her with silver hair in place of the chestnut brown hair she had in her youth. She never figured out why. She now pulled her short, choppy hair back into a pony tail and made sure it hugged close to her head. She took out a brown wig and pulled it onto her head. She checked this in the glass window too. She pulled up her hood and covered most of the wig. Now only the fake emerald eyes could be seen.

She then took off into the air when she was close enough to the building to reach out and touch it. She knew none of the Titans would spot her, she was on the side where no one’s rooms were. When she reached the roof, she had to take quick cover from the Boy Wonder who had just emerged from the door.

She ducked behind the training equipment that had been left on the roof. He walked over to the side of the building and sat with his legs hanging over the edge. He was looking down out at the sky. He seemed deep in thought, yet at peace.

She quietly approached him. She was almost entranced with him. Maybe she was longing for that feeling. Peace…

She approached closer to him. It was impossible to hear her footsteps, she was too well-trained in stealth. He suddenly turned around and stood to face her. He looked very surprised to see some person standing right behind him at first, but then he went back to hero mode and got into a very defensive stance.

“Who are you? How did you get up here?”

“I took the stairs.” Doon lied.

“I doubt it. You still didn’t answer my other question. Who the hell are you?”

“I’m no one, just a shadow.”

Aren’t I so cool? Doon thought sarcastically.

He seemed to stare into her eyes intently. Then his eyes opened a little wider.

Come on. Make the connection. Doon thought.

“You’re the cloaked figure from the rooftops downtown, aren’t you? Your even wearing the same cloak.”

There you go, caught on a little faster than usual, didn’t you? Ok, act defensive.

“Yeah. What’s your point?”

“Well, what are you doing here? Why did you help us? What’re your ties to Slade?”

Lie time. She had been briefed already, so she knew exactly which lies to tell when.

“I came here because I wanted to see if this Tower and the Titans were everything they’re made up to be.” She had been sent. Half of it was true, though, she didn’t know much about the Titans themselves, just the Tower layout.

Robin didn‘t move an inch. She continued.

“I helped you because I only acted on impulse.” She was told to.

“And was Slade the guy at the warehouse?” She knew Slade better than anyone else but Slade himself.

Robin looked hesitant, tense, and still very untrusting of this mystery person.

“Fine…but what are you going to do now?”

She thought. “We’ll see if I turn up again.” She turned and went to take off, the she remembered, she shouldn’t be able to fly. That would ruin the plan. She turned back towards Robin.

“Mind if I use the stairs again?” she asked.

Robin looked surprised. “I guess so.”

She turned back to the stairs and started to descend. He followed her. She looked back a few steps down.

“You don’t trust me? After I saved your lives?”

Robin gave her a stern look.

“I don’t know how you got past the security system, and us, but your not one of us, so I’m going to make sure things don’t get shaken up.”

“Fine, whatever. I’ll let you guys die next time.” she turned back towards the stairs and resumed her descent.

Robin only stayed a few steps behind her the entire way. They reached the bottom, and Robin pointed her in which direction she should go next.

He doesn’t need to, I know every part of this Tower already. Why is he breathing down my neck, I’m not going to go on a rampage and kill everyone, ok?

They finally reached the front door and he showed her out. Before she could get too far, she heard him say a very quiet, very timid “Thank you.”

That tore her heart apart.

Forgive me, Titans.

Author’s Note: Read and Review please!!!!!