Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ /The Chronicles of Pain: Doon's Story/ ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author’s Note: Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I don’t own the Teen Titans, but I do own Doon. ~Chapter Five~ “Fire”  

Doon arrived at Slade’s dominion. She was very happy to have been able to be out in the air, coasting along. She saw Slade when she had reached the doorway where his lab was.

“Were you successful?”

“Yeah, he won’t recognize me.” she said to the back of his orange and black mask.

He grunted, seemingly satisfied. “Your dismissed.” He didn’t even glance up from writing his reports when he spoke to her.

Shivers ran down Doon’s spine. He talked to her with such contempt and hatred, it was scary sometimes. But on the other hand, she had gotten used to the familiarity of it. She turned and walked down the long hall and into a magnificent room. It had a high ceiling, very expensive furniture, priceless paintings, and marble floors. The benefits of being a super villain.

But this wasn’t to be enjoyed by her. She wasn’t even allowed to touch anything in here. She walked through the room and proceeded down a few flights of stairs, through a metal door, and into the dungeon-like basement. She had to go through musty, dark halls to get to her secluded room.

Finally she arrived and opened the dark, wooden door. The hinges on the door creaked, and the actual room smelled old, but it was hers. She blindly walked into the dark room and felt around the air for the chain attached to the light in her room. She finally felt it and pulled on it. The light bulb at the top of her ceiling flickered on and she walked over to the bed.

She sunk down onto the pile of blankets on the hard floor. This was what she was unfortunate enough to call her bed. She slipped off her black boots, and took off the cloak. She was now in a white tank top and green cargo pants. She took off the chestnut brown wig and hung it up onto a nail in the far corner. She hated that stupid thing. It reminded her too much of the past.

Then she rose and went over to her dusty mirror. She took her palm and wiped off some of the grime. She washed her hands in the cracked sink, and splashed some water onto her face. She groped for a towel and eventually, she found a ripped cloth. She looked up at herself in the mirror. She didn’t like what she saw. Those emerald eyes. Her mother had emerald eyes. Her dead, crumpled mother…No, I don’t want to remember her…not after what I did… she distantly thought.

Her eyes moved down to her chest, where an emerald crystal rested between two silver wings in a necklace she received many years ago. Suddenly she felt very angry and she pounded her fist on the sink. She breathed heavily, images of her dead mother were rising to her head. She suddenly crashed her fisted hand into the grimy mirror. It shattered into pieces all over the sink and floor.

She was breathing heavily, and she looked down at her hand, and saw it bleeding. Pieces of jagged glass were sticking out of her flesh. She hastily used her powers to rip them out as she yelled out in pain, and toss them aside. She went over to the bed, clutching the bleeding wound, and grabbed some gauze. She went back over to the sink, turned on the water, and cleaned the wound.

The images were finally starting to stop. She quickly wrapped her hand in gauze. She held out her arms, and focused energy on all of the pieces of glass. She moved her hands up, and then together until they were lightly touching. The pieces also moved into the air, then they molded together. She put the mirror back into its frame and broke her energy flow. She inspected the mirror. If Slade found it cracked, she would be punished. Then she remembered the fake green eyes.

She violently took the contacts out of her eyes and threw them into the sink. She turned on the sink and jammed the contacts down the sink with her fingers. She looked back up at the mirror and she only saw her choppy, shoulder-length silver hair and her piercing aqua eyes. The way it should be.

She turned off the faucet and suddenly felt exhausted. She went over to the blanket bed, laid down, pulled the cloak over her as a blanket, and used her powers to click off the chain above her. She beat the hard pillow under her head, and finally fell into a fitful sleep. Time for the nightmares.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It was a bright morning at Titans Tower. Robin, BB, and Cyborg were lounging on the couch, playing video games. Starfire was sitting very close to Robin and eating mustard out of the bottle. Raven was in her room, reading her book. They had not received any trouble from Slade yet, but they were sure it was coming up soon.

Suddenly, the alarm went off. Robin hopped over the couch and ran to the monitor. Cyborg and Beast Boy came next. Starfire used the back of her hand to wipe off the mustard on her face, and then floated over to the screen.

“Just some fire. Let the fire department take care of it.” Cyborg said as he turned and headed back to the couch.

“Why did the monitor bring it up, then? There must be trouble.” Robin said. He thought for a moment. “Let’s head over there.”

Raven came out of the hallway and into the main room. She walked over to the screen and glanced over it herself.

“What if it‘s a false alarm?.” she said.

“Doesn’t matter. We have to go anyways.” Robin said with a stony, determined glare.

The rest of the team nodded. They were already in the appropriate attire, so they headed downtown.

It was total and complete chaos in the Sunny Villa Apartment Building. Six of its eight levels were consumed in fire, smoke was pouring out the windows. The Titans arrived a half an hour after the fire started, the fire engines were there, as were police cars and ambulances. They came to a halt before the building and examined the fire.

Cyborg walked back over to them from asking a fireman about the situation. “There’s a woman with her cats in there.” He sighed in annoyance. “There‘s nine of them.”

“Ok team, let’s get in there, split up, and search for them.” Robin commanded. “Titans, GO!”

The Titans moved into action. BB formed into a bird and shot into one of the windows. Raven conjured the huge, black raven behind her, and disappeared into it. Cyborg ran into the bottom, regular door. Starfire also flew into a window, and Robin took the same route as Cyborg.

Once inside, Beast Boy took an immediate left. The building was coming down, and he periodically had to turn into a shelled animal to shield himself. Raven had taken the right route, higher than Beast Boy, and had used her powers to ward off the fire. It was extremely hard, due to the lack of oxygen coming to her brain. She searched, but to no avail. Starfire flew through the building, she was very frightened by the fire, but she knew she had to find the citizen. She looked all over her level, but no woman could be found.

Robin was searching all over the fifth floor. He combed through the fire as best he could, but at one point, it became too much. He couldn’t breath anymore, the fire seemed strongest here. He had to get out of the building. It was starting to completely collapse as he made his way toward the street. The firemen were spraying it down with water, but it was too large, and it was only scratching the surface. He saw Cyborg and Starfire come out of the building. No woman, no cats.

They walked over to him, they were coughing and covered in soot, as he was.

“Nothing.” Cyborg reported. Starfire nodded.

Just then Raven and BB came out of the building. BB had transformed into a bear and carried the…rather plump… woman out of the building. Raven had the nine cats, or rather kittens, in her arms, looking rather un-amused by their antics.

BB put the woman down, and transformed back into himself. Raven let the firemen take the kittens one by one and put them into a big holding cage. The last one was left in her arms, it crawled up and licked her on the face before leaving. She had a very pissed expression on her face, but deep down, she thought the kitten was cute.

Everyone was clapping for them and the police, ambulance, and firemen were leaving. The fire had finally been put out. The Titans were just about to leave, when they saw her again. Or rather, Robin spotted her. He glanced over to the top of the building, and there were those emerald eyes, piercing him through, detecting their every move. As soon as he looked at her, she took off running.

What is your secret? Why do you keep running? You’re good, right?

Robin’s thoughts were interrupted as Starfire put her hand on his shoulder.

“Is everything alright Robin? You seem sad.

He turned to look at her.

“Yeah Star, everything’s fine.” She nodded, then grasped him by the arms and took off, trying to catch up with the other Titans.

Who are you, really? These words kept buzzing around in Robin’s head as they traveled back to the Tower.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(Earlier that day…)

Doon was currently flying over to downtown Jump City. She had her orders from Slade. She was going to start a fire in some apartment building and draw the Titans from their home where a certain alarm system could tell them about a certain villain who was currently building drones and secretly staging them at a certain Pier. She arrived at her destiantion. She looked at the beat down sign in front of it from her aerial position. Sunny Villa Apartment Building.

She pulled out a mirror and checked her brown wig, and the emerald contacts. She had been secretly embarrassed when she had to ask Slade for new contacts. It was almost like he knew why she had trashed the old ones.

She lowered herself in the air in the back of the complex. She looked in the windows, and found what she was looking for. One of the apartments on the fifth level was empty. She summoned her powers to her hands and applied them to the window, she yanked them towards herself, and the window violently ripped away from the wall she stopped it easily in mid air, then let it drop to the cement below. She heard it shatter as she hovered inside.

She entered the dingy apartment and landed in its living room. She saw the magazines, pizza boxes, and mail on the coffee table, even though she wasn‘t really looking strait at them. She could smell the grime, dust, and food stains that were everywhere in the room. She could even hear the roaches crawling all over the small kitchen she was now entering.

That’s the funny thing about having telekinetic powers. She had a way of sensing all activity around her. She had learned to mainly block it out, which became a little easier since it was a rare occurring thing that only happened when she entered new surroundings. That didn’t happen much when you were stuck in a musty basement all day.

She went over to the microwave and opened its door. She shuddered when she saw the bugs, mostly roaches, crawling all inside it. She used her powers to kill them (I won’t go into detail), then move them to the trash can. Nothing will kill roaches? Not true, telekinetic powers do the trick. She had brought a roll of tin foil with her. She now set the whole thing, box and all, into the microwave and turned it on full blast for the maximum time. Just to be safe. It hummed on and the glass plate inside it started to rotate.

Time to go. She quickly went to the door, locked it, then went back out the window. She rose high into the air, and searched for a nearby building to watch from. She found one across the street, landed there. Then waited. The fire had started. She heard the small explosion in the apartment, then the fire cackling. Soon, it had consumed that apartment. It spread from there, and she waited until residents started pouring out of the building. The fire engines could be heard then. She waited longer still. No Titans yet.

Sure enough, after fifteen minutes more of waiting, they arrived, and then started to search the building shortly after that. More waiting. Robin came out first. Then Cyborg and Starfire. Finally, a green bear holding a lady, and a pale girl with a cloak on and nine cats in her arms came out of the burning building. Raven and Beast Boy.

The citizens who had formed the crowd clapped for the Ttians, the fire was finally put out, some of the Titans left. All except for Star and Robin. Robin had caught her eye. She looked back at him for a mere second, trying to figure out his gaze, then she came to her senses and took off running.

“I can’t let him get into my mind…” she said aloud to herself.

She took off into the air when she was farther away, and flew back to Slade’s hideout. A hair-gel wearing hero was in her mind the entire flight.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++

(That night…)

Robin was still in his uniform, pacing in his room. He was still thinking about Slade, and the girl. He hadn’t received confirmation of what started the fire yet. So he had no clue as to who had done it, maybe it had just been an accident. But he had a feeling it was Slade’s doing.

That made him glance over to the notes on his billboard. He had added the second one a few days ago, the night when they had received it. Neither gave him any clues towards the current dilemma. Next he looked at the drawing. He knew a little bit more about her, but nothing with any major importance.

He sighed. He was suddenly very tired. He glanced at his digital clock. 2:56. Late, especially considering the long day he had. He changed into his pajama’s and sank into his bed. He pulled the covers tight around himself, and let sleep swiftly claim him. His last thoughts were on her, the girl.

Who are you…?

ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz

(The next day…)

Doon awoke with a cold sweat on her. Well, she didn’t really awake, she shot up in bed, panting, and had a look of horror on her face. She sat there for a few minutes, trying to erase the images, the memories, that were shooting around in her head. She tried to use her powers to bid they away, but to no avail.

She still saw the glass penetrating her mother’s body. She continued to see the horrified looks of her family upon walking in on the grim scene. She remembered her father asking her what happened afterwards, and her admitting she had seen herself doing the entire thing later. She explained “It was all just been a dream, I saw it in my dream.” She had quietly, but urgently said. “Mom’s just sleeping, she’ll come back, I know it.” She had been in denial for so long…

Then she was seeing her father, he was so angry, and at her. The hatred she saw in his eyes, she remembered herself backing away, and running away.

And then the imaged ceased. She took deep breaths, and closed her eyes. Then she, upon feeling stable, slowly stood and walked over to the mirror. She rubbed her head and looked into the dusty mirror. She splashed her face with water and roughly finger-combed her silver hair. She changed into a faded green t-shirt and jeans. She pulled a black hoodie over her head, and headed out of her bedroom. She traveled down a different hallway this time, into a dark room. She groped for another chain, like the one in her room. She found it, and pulled it. The light bulb attached to it flickered on and she spotted the fridge. It was a very small room. It was grungy, like everything else own here, and it served as her kitchen.

Nothing special. Just a refrigerator, a short table, and a small panty. She grabbed two bananas off the pantry shelves. They were almost all brown, but she peeled them and ate them both anyway, she had gotten used to that by now. Then she exited the kitchen and headed through the dark hallways to the stairwells leading upstairs.

A little later she arrived at the lab looking for Slade, but he wasn’t there. She traveled to the dining room. There he was, sitting in his polished walnut chair, eating off his silver platters. It made Doon sick. When she made her presence known, he briefly stopped eating and glanced over at her before picking up his coffee.

“Ah, there you are.” he took a deep drink out of the mug before setting it down again. “I have another assignment for you. Sit.”

She did as she was told. One of the maids came out of the kitchen and set a cup of coffee in front of her. Five creams and sugars. Just the way she liked it. But she knew these were no normal maids, they were robots, hand-crafted by Slade. So therefore she disliked each and every one of them.

“So, what’s this assignment? Something to do with the Titans?” she asked before she took a drink.

“Precisely. My drones will terrorize the Fair at the Pier tonight. The Titans will come racing, and then I appear. I monolog for a while. Meanwhile, you will be planting a bomb on top of Titans Tower.”

“I understand.” she automatically said.

“Make the right preparations. Your dismissed.” She nodded to him, even though he had gone back to his breakfast.

She excited the room and headed back to the basement. She took a hidden route, this time, that needed fingerprints to open. She took her finger and placed it on the censor for examination. A bright light scanned her finger, and then a voice came on.

“Access granted for the user: Doon.”

The doors slid open and she walked in. She now found herself in Slade’s private weapon lab. With shelves full of guns of all sizes and deadly gadgets, walls lined with drone parts, and a private section devoted to secret weapons, it was a very menacing room.

She walked to the part of the room with bombs located in it, and looked it over. She saw the one she was looking for. A medium sized bomb, it was named “The Terminator”. She picked it up and went to exit the room.

She walked to her own room and opened the squeaky door. She put the bomb down softly on her small wooden table along with her notebook, pencils, and other assorted writing utensils. She sat down on her mediocre bed and lifted up her pillow. There was a book there. She picked it up and set down her pillow. It was entitled “Firestarter”. It was a Stephen King novel and it reminded her a lot of herself. A girl has powers and they cause major problems. But that girl could never do what she’s done, or what she’s doing now.

Doon sighed as she opened it to her page. She found she couldn’t concentrate on the pages, she was reading the same line over and over again.

All she could think about was Robin. She, as she often did, questioned why she was carrying out Slade’s commands, why was she going to hurt these heroes? But then she quickly left those thoughts.

She knew exactly why she served Slade. She seeked redemption, even though it looked like it would never come to her. Even though she didn’t want to admit it, she also seeked to regain her father’s love back.

Wishful thinking… she thought.

With that she picked up the book again, and became lost in the story.

 

Author’s Note: I know that must’ve been an extremely boring chapter, and it took a long time to update, but I was gone on a trip for some of the days, so please excuse it. Read and Review, please!

 

 

 

 

 

 

&nbs p;