Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ /The Chronicles of Pain: Doon's Story/ ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author’s Note: Hey everyone. I would like to take this time to say that I know this story is going to sound a lot like the father-daughter relationship between Raven and Trigon, but it really isn’t, I didn’t even plan it to be like that. So please, don’t flame me about how it sounds the same (not as if I have that many reviews or anything…) or anything of that manner. Now that that is out of the way, I’d like to think my reviewers (midnight dreamer123, Moving Mountains, darkbird101, and Elihu); you people really help me with writing this story. I’d also like to thank all the readers, and to ask them to review and tell me their opinions. So, with out further adieu, here’s chapter six. Enjoy! ~Chapter Six~ “Showdown at the Pier”  

Robin had been staring intently at his pizza for the past fifteen minutes.

“Dude, are you gonna eat that?”

Robin looked up at Beast Boy and shook his head no.

“Score!” Beast Boy said as he snatched up the slice.

Robin and the Titans had just sat down to a steaming hot box of cheese pizza. (Can a box of pizza even be steaming hot? I guess now it can…).

“Absolutely delicious!” Starfire squealed as she squirted mustard onto her slice of pizza. “Please friends, this is called ’the pizza‘?”

“Yes Starfire, for the fifteenth time tonight, yes!” Cyborg said, his voice was clearly annoyed.

Starfire smiley innocently and continued eating. Suddenly the alarm went off. All the Titans stopped eating and ran to the computer.

“Slade.” Robin growled.

“Let’s go.” Cyborg said. The Titans ran outside and took off towards the Pier. Ten minutes later, they landed onto the wooden dock of the pier. Their were people everywhere, families eating cotton candy, couples walking hand in hand, and carnies trying to sell ridiculous deals to anyone who‘s stupid enough to come near. The Ferris wheel lights shone onto the water, creating a mirror effect.

“There are people everywhere. How are we supposed to spot him?” Cyborg asked.

“Split up. Beast Boy, You and Cyborg search the east side. Raven, go south. Starfire, search the west end, I’ll go north and look for him by the Ferris wheel.” Robin commanded.

They nodded and split up.

ooo

Doon was walking toward the main entrance. She saw Slade walk in front of her from the kitchen, and in to his lab. He went through the secret entrance that only they knew about. She never figured out why he trusted her with it, but she was glad he did, it might come in handy one day.

As she opened the front door, she saw him shoot out of the concealed exit on his motorcycle. She watched him ride down the road until he was out of sight. She walked across the long, well-groomed lawn, past the fountain, and out to the country highway.

She summoned her powers and distributed them evenly across her body, and took off into the air. The bomb was in her backpack, along with the detonator for it. She knew the code to punch in if anything were to go wrong. Now all there was to do is plant it. The plan was not to actually blow up Titans Tower, just to have one there in case things in a later plan Slade had became complicated. It was powerful enough to obliterate Titans Tower, and anyone unfortunate enough to be inside it.

She was entering the city now. She could see Slade under her, among other cars, speeding by. He almost looked normal, except for the uniform of course. She flew higher, suddenly filled with a fear of him seeing her. She poured on speed and jetted ahead of him, she was only a few minutes away from Titans Tower now.

“What happened to you, Dad?” she quietly asked no one.

As the Tower came into view, she snapped out of her thoughts and slowed to a stop. She hovered in front of a window on the top floor where the living room was, and smashed the window with her powers. Once she had flown inside, she repaired the window.

A security alarm went off and she let her powers flood the entire Tower. Everything became blurry in her eyes as she lifted off the ground. Doon clenched her teeth when she felt a buzzing in her head. She heard the alarm stop. She drew her powers back and fell to her knees, panting heavily.

“I haven’t used my powers at that level…in a while…” she said in between breaths. She slowly gained her regular breath back and shakily stood up.

Her muscles clenched as her senses went wild. She could smell the leftover pizza that was still left on the table like it was right under her nose. She could hear the soft humming of the many electrical appliances, but to her they sounded like swarms of angry bees. Doon felt the cool air pouring into the room from the many A/C vents in the room, she felt freezing.

Finally the extreme sensations faded and she breathed deeply to calm herself down. She clenched and unclenched her hands to steady them. She knew there was much more of that to come, since she had never been here before. This only happened indoors, she had noticed, because when she had been on the roof of this Tower, she had felt nothing abnormal. It was probably just because of the open air, she concluded. She was learning to cope with these outbursts of power-glitches, though.

Doon slowly walked into the hallway and tried to remember the many maps Slade had made her memorize of Titans Tower. She recalled she had to go all the way down this hallway then take a…right? No, it’s left. She corrected herself. She followed her own directions and soon she arrived at the door to Robin’s room.

Doon pried open the internal door lock with her powers and walked into the dark room. She felt for a light switch, and eventually her fingers slid over one on the wall. The lights flickered on, and revealed a…plain old bedroom? She had been expecting more weapons, plans and strategies, files, anything.

“Is that a Game Boy?” she asked aloud. “Weird…”

She started feeling her senses going wild, and she sat on the bed to still herself. The buzz of the computer on his desk sounded once again like angry bees. The faded warmth of his covers felt like a furnace. She could hear the rustle of papers as the flow of air from a vent poured onto a nearby stack of reports; it sounded like a tornado to Doon. When these outbursts ceased, she took time to look around his room.

She walked over to his computer and sat down. She reached for the mouse, but then thought better of it. Robin was an obsessive detective, so he might be paranoid enough to check his room for fingerprints. She stood again and returned to her explorations.

Her eyes strayed to the bulletin board. She walked over to it, squinting to get a better look. She looked at the letters and the sketch. She recognized the letters to be Slade’s, and the sketching to be of herself.

“Hm…” she mumbled. She tore her glance from the bulletin board and walked over to the closet. It was full of Robin’s uniforms. She shifted them around, and her eye caught a different outfit. It was a pair of jeans, and a t-shirt. She laughed.

“So Boy Wonder has a casual side after all.”

She left the closet and wandered over to the bathroom. Her eyes caught a tube sitting on the sink. She lightly turned it over with a glance of her powers, and read the label aloud.

“French’s Styling Gel. New, longer-lasting formula. Guaranteed to drive the ladies crazy.” She laughed. “Robin’s a ladies man, eh?” She turned it back over and went back out of the small bathroom.

She walked over the middle of his floor. Time to get the job done and get out of here before they get back. Doon once again summoned her powers and focused them onto the concrete floor. This was going to take a lot of her energy up, especially since she did the seeker move earlier. She held out her hands and raised them up slowly as she applied more power.

The floor cracked in a circle and she gasped in pain. The connection was broken.

“Damn!” she hissed. She refocused her power and tried again. She could feel her energy draining with every passing moment.

The concrete lifted a bit as she raised her arms further. It lifted a foot as she jerked her arms upward. She winced, but continued. An unbelievable pain coursed through every part of her body, but she persevered. She eventually pried the large section up and out with a jut of her arms. She broke the connection with it once she had moved it to the right. It came crashing down on the floor, and so did she.

ooo

The Titans had been split up and searching for Slade for and hour and a half now. None of them had found anything, or anyone, suspicious, and they had met back up at the entrance.

“It’s useless. He’s not here.” Cyborg said to the team.

“Maybe he’s just hiding.” Beast Boy said as he lifted up a trash can.

Starfire walked up to Robin and put a hand on his shoulder. He tensed, then relaxed.

“Friend Cyborg is right. We should return home.” she reasoned.

Raven had already started flying home.

“Let’s get out of here.” Cyborg said as BB transformed into a pterodactyl and gripped his shoulders with long talons.

Starfire was about to grab Robin and take flight, when they heard a voice.

“Leaving so soon?” Robin’s eyes narrowed as he turned around to face Slade.

“Slade. What are you doing here?” he snarled. Slade walked towards them.

“To fight, of course.” He suddenly turned and took off running. Robin was hot on his trail. Starfire took out her communicator and pressed the call button for everyone. In a few minutes, they all returned to the Pier and ran after Slade.

“You’ll never defeat me when your so slow, Robin.” Slade yelled over his shoulder. Robin bore his teeth and ran faster. Suddenly Slade stopped; Robin skidded to a halt a few feet in front of him. Robin looked around. They were right in the middle of the fair. Some people were staring at them, but others were just going on their way.

Slade took out his pole and got into a fighting position. Robin followed suit. They both charged and the pole’s collided. The metal weapon’s shook with the effort of their owners.

“Nice try, Slade. But it looks like we’re even.” Robin said.

You could almost hear Slade’s smile as he easily pushed off Robin and struck him in the stomach. His breath whooshed out of him and he wheezed.

“We’re hardly even Robin. Everything’s a test; you should know that by now.”

Robin regained himself and ran at Slade; his pole was stuck out in front of him, like he was jousting. His pole was easily blocked by Slade, and then the villain countered with a blow on the back. Robin stumbled, but caught himself quick enough to spin and kick Slade.

Slade was stumbled a couple of feet, but he steadied himself and got in three punches to Robin. Robin was knocked to the ground when Slade landed a strong kick to his face. His nose started bleeding badly, and his head spun. Slade stood over him with a stone-cold glare, and Robin, despite himself, felt an overwhelmingly strong urge to curl up into the fetal position.

By now, the two had caught many an attention. A steady crowd had formed around the fight, probably thinking it was all staged, just a surprise show for them.

Slade laughed shortly, and then picked Robin up by the collar of his uniform.

“I can see your fear Robin; it’s so evident, so obvious to an opponent. It’s always been right there, in your eyes.” he said, a scolding tone to his voice. “We’ll have to work on that.”

Robin mustered up enough strength to kick Slade, breaking his grip on Robin’s uniform.

“Stop lecturing me! You’re not my teacher!” Robin yelled. He assumed a battle position again.

“But I could be Robin. Think about that.” Slade said as he turned and ran towards the entrance. Robin followed, but he had soon lost Slade in the crowd.

ooo

“Dad? Are you down here?” A ten-year old Doon called as she walked down the basement steps. No reply. She arrived at the bottom and peered into the dimly lit office. She walked further and switched on a light.

“Turn that off!” a voice yelled. She jumped in fright and complied quickly.

“What do you want?” the voice, which she recognized as her father growled. She could hear him scrambling around with papers and other things on his desk.

“I just wanted to say…I-I’m sorry about Mom.” she shakily said.

The scrambling stopped.

“You think you can do that?” he asked.

“Do what?” she quietly asked. He suddenly banged his fist on the table.

“Damn it! You know exactly what!” he yelled, making her jump and back away. “You think you can just waltz in here and mention your mother so easily to me?”

“B-but, I said I was sorry, I truly am…it was an accident…” she whimpered.

“Sorry isn’t good enough!” he hissed at her. “Sorry, will never, ever be good enough!”

He seemed to turn back to his work. “Get out.”

“You are the accident.” he said, just above a whisper. Doon heard him, loud and clear. She turned and ran up the stairs, leaving her father behind. She tried to fight back tears as she ran past Sara reading at the kitchen table, and Nate walking down the steps. He grabbed her arm and asked her what was wrong, but she broke free of his grasp and ran into her room.

Once she arrived and had crawled under the covers, she let the tears pour.

He didn’t mean it…he didn’t mean the horrible things he said…

She tried to force these thoughts into her head, but she couldn’t bring herself to believe that. She didn’t come out of her room for a week. Nate was the only one who even bothered to try and comfort her; he tried to slip food and water to her.

But she didn’t think she deserved his kindness, and his efforts were ignored. On the last day of her isolation, she felt incredibly lonely and desperate, and she finally tore open the door and ran down the stairs. She grabbed Nate and pulled him into a tight hug, crying into his shoulder. He hugged her back, and smoothed down her hair. Sara had watched them blankly then returned to watching her T.V. show.

ooo

Doon fluttered her eyes open, and then shot up panting. She immediately regretted it as she felt a piercing pain invade her entire body. She sat up fully and dragged herself over to the wall; she leaned herself up against it.

How long have I been out? She wondered. She pulled her body upwards and stumbled a few steps away from the wall. She felt fine at first, but then a horrible dizziness washed over her. She ran over to the bathroom in Robin’s room and vomited in the toilet. She retched until nothing would come anymore.

Note to self: train before using powers to this level next time. She thought.

She picked herself up, and flushed the toilet. Her gaze wondered over to the cement chunk that she had ripped from Robin’s floor. She suddenly panicked. She had no power whatsoever left; she couldn’t move that thing again!

“Shit… Slade‘s going to kill me… and I can‘t just leave it here like this.” she sighed in frustration.

Suddenly, an idea dawned upon her. No, that won’t work, will it? She sighed. I’ll have to give it a try. It might just be crazy enough to work.

She walked down the stairs and headed for the garage. She recalled that she had to head down a level, and then take a few lefts. She opened the locked door with a strain of her powers and walked inside. It was a large room with junk parts, tools, and the beginnings of some blue and silver car. None of those interested her, though. She glanced around, and spotted what she was looking for.

It was a simple machine, one everyone has used before. A pulley. Now you see why she thought it was so crazy, it had to work. She would try to use brute strength to move it, with a little bit of her powers thrown into the effort. She picked up the pulley, scrounged up some chains, and sprinted back to Robin’s room.

ooo

“Robin!” Robin turned at the sound of his friends calling his name. The team ran up to him.

“Dude, we looked all over for you! What happened, where’s talk, dark, and scary?” Beast Boy asked.

“He got away.” Robin simply replied. “Let’s go, he’s too far ahead and he’s got the cover of the crowd.”

The team looked surprised, but turned and left for home anyways. While they were in the air, Starfire looked down at Robin.

Oh, friend Robin looks so sad. I wonder why… Star thought.

Robin could feel her gaze upon him, but he didn’t look up at her, or ask her why. He really didn’t care, all he was focusing on was what Slade said.

What did he mean ‘I could be‘? If he was thinking of joining forces, forget it. But he meant that he could be my teacher… but that doesn’t make any sense…

“Hm…” he mumbled. Starfire had been looking down at him, and hoped he didn’t notice.

“What is it, Robin?” she quietly asked, so that the other team members couldn’t hear them.

He acknowledged her with a shake of his head.

“Nothing. Just thinking.” he said. They were approaching Titans Tower. Little did they know that there was another person in it, scrambling to hide a bomb at that very second.

ooo

Doon heaved and hoed. She pulled and pulled more. The huge cement block was moving slowly towards the hole. Once she had almost moved it to the edge, she pulled out the bomb. She quickly punched in the code and armed it. A red light came on.

“The Terminator” is armed.” a small voice said. Slade puts too many details into these things. She thought. She set it down carefully and grasped the chain on the pulley again. She strained her muscles, pulling on the chain as hard as she could. The pulley was set up sideways on the ground, so she also had to crouch to work it. When the cement block was teetering over the edge, she used up some of her reserve powers, with extreme pain, and drilled a smooth hole into the bottom, so the bomb wouldn’t be crushed. She wrapped the chain around her hands a few times, and gave it a final pull, sending it back into the ground.

She looked at the crack left in the floor in panic. Then she calmed herself and brought the last of her reserve powers to her hands she ran a finger around the crack, forming to two sides together as she went. She winced, and tears rose to her eyes, she even felt a drop of blood trickle out of her nose. She finished wiped her eyes and nose. She felt pain coursing through her body, and she felt as if she had to vomit again.

She walked quickly over to the toilet again and gagged. Nothing came up, so she sunk down to the floor. She rested her head against the cool tile and rested there. She stood up slowly, and shakily walked over to the bed. She laid down on it and tried to shake off the feeling of extreme pain and nausea that was flooding over her body. She was so exhausted, she almost drifted off into sleep right there. But she couldn’t because she heard footsteps approaching the door. She suddenly raced over to the closet and shut the door.

The door slid open halfway, then got stuck. A black boot and glove stuck itself inside and shoved the door open all the way. Robin entered, and shut the door again. He seemed deep in thought. Doon watched through the slits in the closet door as the hero walked over to his bulletin board. He ran his fingers over the notes and sketch. He sighed and walked away from them.

Robin shuffled over to his bed and sat down. He took off his boots and gloves and tossed them aside. He removed his uniform next. He was in his undershirt and boxers now. She knew she should look away, but man, he looked good. She felt a blush creep over her cheeks. It was quickly removed when he walked over to the closet. She panicked and held her breath. She tried to sink further into the closet, backing as flat up against the wall as she could. His hand was inches away from the closet door when there was a knock on his door.

“Robin? Are you in there?” It was Starfire. Robin backed away from the closet and walked over to the door. He opened it and leaned on the door, subtly blocking the way inside.

“What is it?” Robin asked.

Starfire held out a plate. Starfire saw that Robin was only in his boxers and blushed heavily.

“I assumed you would be most hungry after today’s battle.” She smiled and handed it to him, suppressing a giggle, then walked away with a wave. “Goodnight friend Robin!”

Robin closed the door. Doon thought she could see a smile on his face, and a hint of a blush on his face as he took a bite of the pizza on his plate. He set it down again and went into his bathroom.

Shut the door, come on, stay in there for a while…

But he didn’t. He brushed his teeth quickly and slipped back out. He left the room and she could hear him jogging down the hall. She cautiously slipped out of the closet and walked out a step. She instantly darted back in when she saw a green face appear.

For Pete‘s sake, just let me get out of here…

Beast Boy stepped in and sniffed the air. He spotted what he was looking for and grabbed the pizza.

“Ha! Scored the last piece! Sorry Robin, but this belongs to me!” he whispered triumphantly.

He looked both ways out the hallway, then ran to the left, probably to his room. She went to open the door, but Robin came back. He shut the door and walked over to his desk, where the pizza used to be.

“Beast Boy…” he shook his head, but a grin was on his face.

He went over and sat down on the bed. He put his hands behind his head and stared up at his ceiling. He closed his eyes and fell asleep. Doon waited a few minutes until his breath evened out completely. She slipped out as quietly as she could and shut the closet door behind herself. She looked over at Robin, and felt a sudden surge of compassion towards him.

She couldn’t resist the urge to go over and pull the covers over him. He stirred a bit and curled up into a ball.

“Mnm…Starfire…” he mumbled.

Her eyes widened. What was I thinking? That was so stupid… She quickly walked out of the room and shut the door. She crept down the hallway and arrived at the front door without any other run-ins. She walked out the front door, and into the rain.

She kept on walking, but she didn’t have any power left to fly. She sat down on the grass and mud and let the rain wash over her. She soon became too tired to hold herself up, so she slumped down and fell asleep.

Robin…

Author’s Note: I’m so sorry that took so long, I’m starting high school, so I’m kind of busy lately…but that’s not really a good excuses. I’m starting chapter seven right now, hopefully it’ll be out before the end of this week. Read and Review, please!