Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Incredible Beast ❯ Princess Deathwish ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

EPISODE THREE
 
It had been a few days since Garfield had left Jump-City. Walking down the roads all by alone and waiting for a passing car to go by. That's when he would ask to hitchhike for a few miles.
 
He was on his way to, town called, Tamerania… where he was had learned that their hospital-units had expert programs on Gamma-Ray injections. He thought he could use it to cure himself of the beast.
 
Only one problem…
 
He was a little hungry, and hadn't much money left. Paying taxi-cabs, and motels for only one night was starting to take it's toll on him. Luckily he was passing near an orchard filled with ripe, juicy, apples. So he decided to help himself to a few.
 
While he sat there on that sunny afternoon eating the apples he suddenly heard the sounds of someone groaning nearby. He looked all around, and round, but he couldn't fin anyone, as he got up, he realized that the rock he was sitting on wasn't a rock at all, but in fact a monument stone.
 
“Oh…” and inscribed on the plaque were two names.
 
LordFinis Garfield Anders.
 
Lady Darla Kori Anders
 
Judging from the years imprinted below the names, obviously they had passed away not too long ago, and judging from their titles, Lord and Lady, they were rich, or prestigious.
 
Just then, he heard that graining sound again. It was really close this time. Garfield looked up ahead and saw who was making that noise. It was a pretty young girl, with long red hair, and she we wearing a beautiful, sparkling gown, and had long whit gloves on her arms… but she was walking on crutches, and she seemed to be having a little trouble trying to turn the corner.
 
“Oh…!” finally she slipped and fell to the ground. Garfield had to get over there and help her up. “Are you okay…?” he asked.
 
The girl nodded, “Yes… I'll be alright.” she said weakly. “I just feel so dizzy…”
 
Garfield helped her over to the stone where he was sting as it seemed to be a more suitable place for her to rest. It soon turned out that it was exactly where she was trying to get to anyways. “They were my parents…” she said as she motioned at the names on the plaque. “They died about a year ago… and I visit their grave every day or, whenever I can”
 
“Really…?” Garfield said. “My parents are dead too… but they died when I five.”
 
The girl thought thaws just horrible, and then Garfield noticed one of the names' of her father. “That's my name…”
 
The girls looked down, and assumed he meant the first name. “Finns…?”
 
He shook his head, “Garfield…”
 
The girls smiled, “My name's Starr…” she said, “Princess Starr to be exact.”
 
Garfield kissed her hand playfully, “I guess that means this is your family's private orchard…?” he asked, “If I had known that I wouldn't have--”
 
“Oh, no, no, it's all right…” replied Starr. “This orchard was part of our family business, it's for everyone.” She also noted that he looked tired and hungry, “Have you been… on the road…?”
 
“Just a few days…” Garfield said. “I'm heading for the city of Tameran; I need to visit their hospital.”
 
This worried Starr, “Are you sick like me…?”
 
Garfield didn't answer, as he was started, “Is something wrong with you…? Is that why you can't walk well…?”
 
Starr nodded, and she suggested that he come to her family's estate on the other side of the orchard. “Oh I don't want to impose.” Garfield said, but Starr wouldn't hear of it. Garfield was beginning to like this young-lady. She was so kind, and gentle…
 
Yet as she tried to get up, she suddenly dropped her crutches, and collapsed. “Starr…!” Garfield cried. “Starr, what's the matter…?”
 
Starr moaned and ground in pain, “My head hurts…! I'm so dizzy!”
 
Garfield couldn't let her suffer like this. So he scooped her up, in his arms, leaving her crutches behind, and remembering what she said, he carried her across to the other side of the orchard.
 
Soon he saw a huge mansion that had to be about a-third the size of a football stadium. It had a lovely garden, lushing green fields. Another young Princess, who looked just like Starr, but had black hair, and darker eyes,
 
“Oh, where is she…?” she grumbled at the butler. “Where had my sister gotten to now, Giles?”
 
Their butler, who was a huge man, with bulging arms and a long red beard, shook his head, “I assure you Princess, Fire… Princess Starr, your sister will return.”
 
“She had better…” growled Fire. “If anything would happen to her, in the condition she's in, I would never forgive myself.”
 
She was secretly just putting on one of those tearful routines, as she really hoped her sister had died while visiting their parents' grave.
 
Just then… one of the nurses came into the garden. “Princess Starr is in pain…” she cried, “A young boy has just brought her into the foyer.”
 
Fire and Giles dashed into the foyer at once, “Quickly… bring her to her room.” Giles instructed. Garfield did as he was told.
 
Once in Starr's room, she was laid on the bed. “She collapsed in the orchard.” he said. “She needs help.”
 
Luckily the family physician had already arrived, “Fear not. I know just what she needs.” The man said.
 
“Dr. Vanlow.” cried Fire. “You're just in time, she's getting worse.”
 
The doc tipped his spectacles, and reached into his bag and pulled out a needle and a bottle of red-liquid. “It's about time for her medication anyways. A little extra Streptomycin will do the trick.”
 
He handed the needle to the nurse, who gave it to Starr, and she fell asleep like a baby. Only… something was disturbing Garfield, and that was the Red Liquid. The doc just said it was Streptomycin.
 
But from what Garfield remembered from Rita, Streptomycin was a type of penicillin, used to cure most illnesses… but he also remembered that the liquid was supposed to be clear… not red.
 
At least Starr was asleep, “There we go now… all better.” the doc said. “Poor little dear, all she requires is rest now.”
 
Giles was relieved to hear that, and then urged Garfield to follow him out of the room. “I cannot express to you how grateful I am… uh....”
 
“Nagal…” Garfield answered, “Garfield Nagol…” he lied and actually pronounced his last name backwards… he couldn't tell the truth.
 
Giles shook his hand, or rather his whole arm due to his huge size. “If I had known the princess to be in such a critical state, I would never have let her out of my sight.”
 
Garfield could understand how he felt. “How long as she been that way for…?” he asked.
 
Giles answered, “For an entire year now. She first began to show sings of illness after the death of her parents.” he then cast a shady look upstairs, “I, however, don't trust Dr. Vanlow one little bit…”
 
“Ever since his arrival, our house nurses believe the Princess' condition has been growing worse.”
 
This was starting to seem more and more peculiar to Garfield, but before he could say anything… Giles offered him lodgings for the night. “A kind-hearted individual such as you should not go un-rewarded.”
 
Garfield tried to refuse. “Oh, I really couldn't, I was just on my way into town. I seek some help at the Tameran Hospital.”
 
Giles wouldn't hear of it, and in any case. “The hospital is for some reason closed today. You would not be able to go in even with an appointment.”
 
With that settled, Garfield couldn't refuse the offer. It would have been nice for him to sleep in a warm bed for free instead of blowing his money on motels, or end up camping out in the wild… “Awfully nice of you.” he said.
 
Giles smiled, “It would be what Princess Starr would want.”
 
 
When Starr had awakened, she came out of her room in a remote-control wheelchair. She and Garfield were near the duck pond. “I'm so glad you decided to stay.” she said. “I feel as if I owe you my life.”
 
Garfield smiled, “I was just glad I could help, but… tell me something?” he asked. “How much do you trust Vanlow?”
 
Starr began to look concerned. “To be honest… I really don't know.” she explained that her sister hired Vanlow a few months ago, and how he claimed that she was getting better, and would soon be fit as a fiddle in due time, but lately she hadn't felt any better.
 
“Now or days…I find myself getting dizzier.” She replied, “Sometimes I feel so afraid that I can't even stand up on my own feet. Dr. Vanlow says I'm merely having a relapse… but even Giles doubts that he knows what he's talking about.”
 
Yet another sneaky suspicion Garfield was having.
 
“What about you…?” Starr asked. “What's the illness you have that you need to go to the hospital for…?”
 
Garfield couldn't really tell her the truth so he merely said, “Oh it's nothing too serious, I'm just hoping to do a little experiment is all. A Test of DNA and Gamma rays, with the body's nervous reaction…”
 
Starr noticed the quality of his words. He was sounding like he was a doctor, or a man of medicine himself, and when she asked, Garfield told her, “Oh, well my IQ is close to two-hundred…. and my late foster mother was a doctor, and I was her assistant.”
 
It pained Starr to hear that his Foster Mother died, and it explained more why he was traveling on his own. “Now I'm really glad you decided to stay.” She said to him, “I don't think I could forgive myself to send you away like that.”
 
Garfield smiled again, “For a girl who's crippled, you sure are sweet.”
 
Starr smiled at him, almost if he was the first real friend she had ever made outside of her home and orchard.
 
Little did they realize that they were being watched…
 
Starr's twin sister, Princess Fire was watching them from up one of the balconies. She lowered her telescope and her lips curled into a sneer. “Trouble, Your-Highness…?” asked a voice from behind.
 
Fire stood straight and tall. “I don't trust that kid, Nagol…” she said. “He's starting to grow suspicious.” She began to think that maybe she should have security throw her out. “I want you to make sure you keep your act together. Otherwise… our deal is off.”
 
The man's spectacles glowed from within the shadows. “Don't worry Your-Highness.” He said, “A few more doses, and a few more relapses, your sister won't last any longer than one week.”
 
 
Dusk had fallen, and Starr was sent back to her room for yet another period of rest before dinner. Garfield even witnessed the nurses give her another dose of that red Streptomycin, by request of Dr. Vanlow.
 
When he questioned the ladies about his observations, “The liquid is supposed to be clear. Whatever this is… it can't be Streptomycin. So what is it?”
 
The Nurses only acted as if they were given him the cold shoulder, and didn't answer him… they were acting very strangely, but they did tell him to leave so that the Princess could get her rest.
 
Garfield did as he was told, but noticed that Starr was looking a little pale. Not to mention she was twitching a little in her sleep.
 
Garfield was growing more and more edgy about this whole ordeal, and began to feel that something was definitely not right. That's he saw Fire bidding goodnight to Dr. Vanlow as he left the grounds. She also handed him a wad of cash too… “You'll get the other half when the job's done.” she whispered.
 
“What job would that be…?” Garfield couldn't help but ask.
 
The two of them turned round in near shock. “Oh, Uh… her highness, Princess Fire…” Vanlow cleared his throat, “She was merely paying me for giving Princess Starr her treatment for the day.”
 
Fire nodded, agreeing into the lie, “He hasn't completed his for entirely though… so I promised him the rest of his payment when he finishes.”
 
Garfield decided to take it this time, but he still didn't trust them. “Oh, and there are two guards at the back-door… they will escort you to your quarters for the evening.”
 
Garfield thanked her graciously, but the moment he was out of sight, she grinned wickedly knowing the guards would take real good care of him.
 
 
Garfield met up with two strong men at the back doors, but instead of escorting him upstairs, they escorted across the grounds, and to a small wooden hut on the grounds. “Where are you taking me…?” he asked.
 
“You'll know… soon enough.” said one of the men. The next thing Garfield knew, he was being held against his will, and throwing into the hut where a gaggle of men in suits were all glaring at him wickedly.
 
“Who are all of you?” Garfield asked, “What is all this? What's going on?”
 
One of the men grabbed him by the collar, “What's going on, is Princess Fire's plan is what.” He sniggered.
 
Another one grabbed him. “The Princess is growing to suspect you of knowing too much. She's ordered us to take care of you.”
 
Garfield knew it, “There is something going on, and Vanlow is involved with this!”
 
This only persuaded the guards to start beating him up. Punching him in the face, and kicking him in the gut… “Stop…! STOP IT…!” cried Garfield. “Don't do this I'm warning you!”
 
POW…! He was thrown hard against a wooden post. “ARGH…!”
 
SNAP!
 
His eyes had that glow again, and right before the men eyes, “Hey! What's going on.”
 
They watched as his clothes ripped off, and his body began to grow fur all over, and increase in size. Soon, they found themselves face-to-face with a snarling monster! “What is it…?” cried one of the men.
 
The monster ROARED loudly, and began to thrash about, breaking all the tools in the hurt, smashing the men with its huge fists, one even got thrown hard, right through the wooden walls.
 
The last man tried to whack a huge plank on the creature's head, but the board snapped in half, and only angered the monster more! Not wanting to get his head knocked in… the man panicked and ran away.
 
Still growling, the creature smashed through the wall and began to run down the road heading straight into town.
 
 
“What do mean he got away?” Fire yelled when the goon told her of what happened in the shed.
 
“I assure you your-highness…” he cried, “He transformed into this… monster, and escaped. He looked as though he was heading straight for the city.”
 
“Enough…!” Fire yelled. She didn't believe for one minute about this…creature or whatever it was. All she knew was Garfield was onto her now, and she had to warn Vanlow at the hospital.
 
So she ordered her limo driver to take her straight into town, and she meant business.
 
 
Meanwhile… the creature had been running down the road as fast as his legs could carry it. A lot of the people of the city of Tameran screamed in terror at the sights and growling sounds of the creature, but just let it run past them.
 
One man however recognized the creature from somewhere and contacted a newspaper from out of town.
 
 
Jackie and Jillian's' fathers received the call form all the way in Jump-City. “Are you sure…?”
 
“Okay we're on our way.”
 
Jackie father told Jillian's dad that someone had spotted the creature their daughters had seen on the night of the murder of Dr. Dayton, and Garfield Logan. Jillian's dad was so psyched, and so was Jackie's dad.
 
They picked up their girls quickly, pulled them out of school, and they began their journey to the city if Tameran. “I knew this was no dream.” Jackie said cockily. “It's real!”
 
“Mmm-hmm…” added Jillian, “Just think of how famous we're going to be when we nail this creep.”
 
Their father's actually agreed with their daughters. They too were greedy when it came to fame and fortune… and preferred money to make them happy instead of hard work.
 
They weren't planning to rest until both they and their daughters could get the scoop on the Beast… and bring it to justice for the murders it was wanted for.
 
 
The Beast had made its way just near the Tameran Hospital… when it began to feel weary as if it had used up all its strength, or just didn't feel so angry anymore. Then, Garfield was back to his old self again with a headache and confusion of what had happened… but the good bit was, his injuries had healed from being tortured by those men… and he was where he wanted to be from the start.
 
“The Tameran Hospital…!”
 
This was it. This was the place where he could try and test his theory and counteract the gamma-radiation in his DNA. So hopefully he could be rid of that horrible beast for good.
 
Only first he needed to get something to wear, for his clothes were all tattered-up again. He also recognized a familiar car as he gazed at the parking lot. “Vanlow's car…?”
 
And he gasped, “Oh, no! Starr…!”
 
He decided to get the dirt on Vanlow, and see what had and Fire were up to first before helping himself. Luckily… there was good will box in the alley where he was standing, and what luck… clothes and shoes that were just his size. So he donned them on, and went to the front door.
 
As he entered the hospital, he remembered that Giles, the butler had informed him earlier that the hospital was closed, and that Vanlow had told him that. Only more lies it was to Garfield.
 
Vanlow and Fire were in cahoots, and it was time he uncovered what they were up to, and what it had to do with Starr.
 
The first thing That Garfield did was ask for Dr. Vanlow at the front desk, and he was told that he was in his office by the receptionist. “But I'm afraid he's not up to seeing anyone at the moment.”
 
When Garfield requested that it wasn't an appointment and that he just wanted a word with him, “It concerns his patient, Princes Starr.”
 
The Receptionist assured him that Vanlow had never before had the Princess for a patient. “Why, that manor's had its own lines of doctors and nurses hired, but none ever from this hospital before.”
 
Garfield decided to investigate more on Vanlow more thoroughly. So he studied the directory, and found where Vanlow's office was. So he made his way to the upper-floors, and could see Vanlow's office just down the hall.
 
He hid round the corner though as he saw Vanlow leave his office and walk down another hallway, and what an idiot he was to leave the door wide open. This was Garfield's chance.
 
He quickly dashed in, and shut the door behind him. He found what we was looking for instantly.
 
There on Vanlow's desk beside his car keys, was a bottle of that red-liquid, and Garfield was right. The liquid wasn't Streptomycin at all, but in fact it was a powerful drug that when abused, and not taken properly could actually bring deadly harm to the patient. He pocketed it quickly…
 
Now it was all making sense. Vanlow wasn't trying to help Starr, but actually make things worse for her. Suddenly… he could hear Vanlow's voice echoing down the hall. He dashed into the closet and shut the door.
 
He left it open just a tiny crack to see him walk through the door, with Princess Fire, Starr's twin sister. “I was certain I left the door open…” Vanlow said.
 
“Never mind that…” sneered Fire. “Have you got the X-rays?”
 
Vanlow pulled out from the envelope he was carrying two X-rays that were taken of Starr's legs. “Here are the real X-Rays…” he said. “They show that her legs are perfectly fine… but here are the ones you wanted.”
 
He put the two X-rays up on the light-board on the wall. Garfield could see the real ones showed that Starr had no problem with her legs at all, which meant she wasn't really sick. He legs had no disease.
 
Then there was the other set of X-rays, which were obviously forged. They showed images of a broken leg., and serious shin splints. “Once we show these to her… I have complete confidence that your sister will grow more frightful of her condition than before.”
 
Fire sniggered, “Good… but how many more doses will she need?”
 
Vanlow assured her. “You're sister will be dead soon enough, and the family fortune will go to you, and I expect my cut from it of course.”
 
Garfield couldn't believe what he was hearing. Fire was trying to kill her sister, Starr, so she could inherit the family fortune and keep it all to herself, what with her parents being dead.
 
But just as he laid his hands on the doors, it creaked. Vanlow and Fire turned. “Huh…?”
 
“What's that…?” said Fire.
 
Garfield felt his insides racing, but had to be careful not to lose his temper or he'd transform again, but he had an idea. Fire crossed over to the closet and slowly reached to open it.
 
That's when Garfield flung the door wide open, knocking her over into Vanlow, and the two villains fell to the floor. Garfield dashed past them both, grabbing both the real and false X-rays… and Vanlow's car keys.
 
“It's that kid, Nagol…!” cried Vanlow, “We got to stop him! He's got Starr's X-Rays.”
 
The two villains sprang tot heir feet, and perused Garfield down the hospital halls, out into the parking lot where he had already taken Vanlow's car, and was driving away to warn Starr.
 
Fire however still had her limo-driver waiting. “Hurry…! Stop that boy!” she growled.
 
 
A few minutes later, Garfield made it back to the estate, and Giles let him in. “Mr. Nagol…” he cried after he had let him in, but Garfield was already dashing up the stairs heading for Starr's bedchamber.
 
“Starr…! Starr…!” he called. Starr was tossing and turning, and groaning very loudly in her bed as she was having another dizzy spell. “Garfield…?” she cried. “Is that… you…? Where's Dr. Vanlow… I need more medicine.”
 
Garfield gently patted her cheeks hoping she would snap out of it. “Starr, listen to me. You've got to get out of here! You're in danger…”
 
Starr was still very dizzy, but she heard every word. “Wh-- what…? Danger…?”
 
Garfield nodded, and tried to warn her about her sister, “Fire and Vanlow are on their way here now; I've got to get you to safety.” He tried to help her out of bed, but Starr almost tried to fight him off. “No… don't! She begged, “I need Vanlow, I need my sister. I need their help.”
 
“Starr, listen to me!” Garfield snapped, “Fire and Vanlow… they're trying to kill you!”
 
Starr almost felt dead already, “What? Kill me?” she didn't believe him. She wouldn't believe him. Not even when he tired to show her the X-rays, including the real one that showed she had no leg problems at all.
 
Starr still didn't believe him, and tried to fight him off. “No! Stop! Leave me alone! HELP ME… SOMEBODY HELP ME!” she screamed.
 
“Starr… no, no… you've got to believe me!” but finally Starr took her water picture, and WHAMMED him right in the head. “GARH…!”
 
SNAP!
 
This caused him to lose it… and his eyes glowed once again, and Starr watched in horror as he transformed before her eyes. Starr let out a scream of fright which alerted security, not to mention Fire and Vanlow who had just pulled up in the pathway.
 
“What's going on up there…?” Fire asked.
 
 
The creature had already begun growling as the guards tried to apprehend it from supposedly attacking the Princess, yet each and every one of them got beaten, and thrown on the floor by this snarling beast.
 
The next thing that happened was, the creature grabbed Starr, right from her bed, and burst out the window, and the whole wall as well. It leapt right from the top down to the ground and began to head straight for the swamp that was near the grounds, and they vanished out of sight.
 
Fire couldn't believe her eyes. There really was a big ugly creature roaming about. As much as she hoped that creature would do her the favor and kill Starr itself, “We can't take any chances…” she said.
 
She quickly got on the phone and called up another squat of hired-men to find the beast, and her sister, and shoot them both. “I don't care how you do it, just kill her, and kill her quick!”
 
As for Vanlow… he had seen that creature somewhere before in the newspapers, and got out his cell phone to make contact with certain reporters, who were at that very moment in the city right now… searching high and low for the beast.
 
 
As for the beast, he had carried Starr safely away from the estate, and they were now deep within the swamp. Starr's dizziness wore off, and she gazed right up into the beast's eyes in disbelief. “Oh, Garfield…”
 
The beast kept starring down at her, and as he did he began to feel strange again, and Garfield slowly changed back into himself. He had a headache, and didn't remember much, but the wound on his head was healed.
 
He also realized that he was outside with Starr in a swampland. “Are you alright?” he asked.
 
Starr nodded but didn't even blink her eyes. This made it clear to Garfield that she had obvious seen IT…! “Garfield… what was that… that thing?”
 
“It's a long story…” Garfield said, but he explained how it happened. “I injected myself with gamma-rays, and I used too much. That beats is an act of metamorphosis, it happens whenever I get angry.”
 
Starr then realized that this was obviously that sickness Garfield had come to find a cure for. She didn't know what to think anymore. So much was happening to her at once. “What's that…?” she asked as she pointed at the bottle in his pocket.
 
Garfield's pants hadn't shredded too much, and he still had the red liquid on him. “Is that my medicine…?” Starr asked again.
 
“Well… it is your poison.” he answered. “Whatever this is… it's the real cause to why you feel so scared and weak.”
 
Starr still didn't understand. “I'll explain later, but right now we've got to get you to the hospital before you get any worse.”
 
Starr still couldn't stand up, but she wasn't too heavy for Garfield to carry. So he picked her up, and they both began to trek through the swamp. Starr had explained to him that the city was just on other side of the swamp…
 
But the swamp itself was a dangerous, and filled with many unexpected surprises. Garfield would have to keep his wits about him. No matter what happened he wouldn't let anyone hurt Starr and he had to get to her to the hospital.
 
 
Back at the estate, some of the new guards had armed guns with them, and others had the guard-hounds. The dogs had already picked up the scent of where Starr might be with Garfield in the swamp.
 
“Remember… shoot to kill.” Fire ordered, “If you find that kid, Garfield… kill him as well. He knows too much. We can't have him going to the authorities”
 
The guard acknowledged their orders, and headed off. Vanlow was relieved to see the situation getting under control, but what still bothered him was, “Where did that boy hide those X-Rays? We still need them!”
 
The X-Rays, unbeknown to them were hidden in Starr's room… under her mattress. One place that the villains would never think to look, even when they searched her room, and all the other places Garfield may had been.
 
 
Meanwhile… Garfield and Starr had continued to trek through the swamp… but it was really hard to navigate as it was really dark, even with the full-moon out. Suddenly, Garfield could hear the sounds of growling, and it wasn't him because he hadn't transformed.
 
He also could see flashlights, and he heard the voices of men. “There they are… let's get them!”
 
The next he heard was gunshots. The sounds woke up Starr who had been resting in his arms the whole time. “What's happening?” she cried.
 
“They're tracking us…!” cried Garfield, and he began to dash through the trees as fast as he could, even with all that extra weight holding Starr in his arms.
 
The men chased after them, keeping their snarling hounds close to follow the scent, but Garfield and Starr had already vanished into the darkness once again. Starr had never been so frightened in her life, and Garfield never felt so tired before… but he knew those men would catch up tot hem eventually.
 
Then he noticed a pool of mud ahead. “We've got to cover ourselves in mud.” he said. “It'll block off our scents to those dogs.” Even Starr, Princess or not, didn't mind getting filthy… for she trusted Garfield with her life now.
 
Garfield only took a few steps into the mud, when suddenly he began to sink. “Whoa…! It's quicksand!” he cried. Starr panicked in fear as Garfield had already sunken waist deep, and she was starting to fall in too…
 
Garfield was able to toss her onto the safe ground, “Garfield…!” she cried.
 
Garfield was sinking fast, “Starr… you gotta help me! You have to get up and walk!”
 
“No! I can't!” she practically screamed now.
 
“Starr! You can… you have to!” Garfield yelled. “You're legs aren't broken they're not diseased. You CAN walk!”
 
“I CAN'T…!”
 
“YOU CAN…!”
 
SNAP!
 
Garfield hadn't been watching his anger, and he transformed again, but even with all that massive mussels, he still wasn't able to pull himself up and out. “Oh, no… Garfield!” cried Starr. “Don't struggle…!”
 
The creature however was angry, and enraged. He couldn't help but struggle. Starr realized that Garfield was right, and she'd have to stand up to help him or he'd die.
 
She struggles all she could, and she was so terribly frightened, and it really hurt her because of the drug she had been taking, but finally… she found herself up on her feet without any crutches.
 
“I'm up…! I'm walking…!” she cried for joy. She was still a little shaky and finis it hard to keep her balance, but she grabbed hold of a vine that was near her, and held it out to the beast. “Here… grab it!”
 
The Beast grabbed the vine, and Starr pulled with all her might, but the heavy creature was too much for her, and she lost her balance very easily. She then lost her footing, and fell towards the sand, but someone grabbed her from behind.
 
It was Giles, who had heard of the Princess abduction and had been following the two since. “Hang on Princess…!” he cried as he held onto her. With him helping out, and the Beast's own strength, the creature was finally free.
 
Starr was relieved that he was alright, but the Beast hadn't changed back into Garfield yet, but Giles… who had already seen everything… he was well aware of the situation and gladly agreed to assist the beast in taking Starr to the hospital.
 
“Your sister's men will be sure to follow us…” he said as he picked her up in his huge arms. “We must make haste!”
 
The creature grunted, almost as if it were trying to show that it was agreeing, and off the all went, safely past the quicksand, and not a moment too soon as the guards were right behind them. “Quick… Shoot them!”
 
The guns went off, and off… and one of the shots hit the creature. It roared in pain as it held his arm, but it resisted the urge to go back and fight. Not that it had to anyways because the men didn't notice the quicksand and fell right in.
 
While they didn't sink and were able to pull themselves up again, they were stuck with no way to get across safely, and it slowed them down a little.
 
 
The creature and Giles continued to make their way through the swamps, when suddenly a huger bear leapt down from the tree tops and growled loudly. Starr screamed in fear and fainted in shock, in Giles' arms. “Princess…!” cried Giles as he backed away form the big hungry bear… but the creature, despite having a bullet wound on his shoulder, lunged at it… and tackled it into a type of sumo-wrestle.
 
It was a good thing Starr had fainted or she would've had the horrors of seeing the creature get his fair share of punches and pummels from that bear, but eventually the bear ran away and that caused the creature to use up its strength enough for Garfield to change back into his old self.
 
Head aching, and confused, and seemly to have small wounds nearly healed on his arm, Garfield realized he must've been as the creature of a long time, and he wondered what Giles was doing there with them…
 
“No time to explain…” Giles said, “I only wish to help now. I will not let the Princess die.”
 
Giles was acting more like a father than a man servant. Garfield admired that. It reminded him of the ways Rita used to care for him when he was younger. Still, it was not the time to be pondering over memories… Starr didn't look so good, and unless she got medical treatment fast, she would die for sure.
 
So they continued forward, and finally emerged out of the swamp, with the city no just downhill ahead of them.
 
They brought her to the hospital, which turned out to be open twenty-four seven, as they were that dedicated to helping people. Starr was given the best medical treatment that Giles could pay for.
 
Garfield even got to have a shower, and some new clothes from the same charity-bin he had found earlier. He even packed up a few spares.
 
While Starr was being treated and the drug was being counteracted from her body… Garfield decided to pick up and do what he came for. So he snuck into the hospital's gamma-injection room and tested his experiment hoping to undo the things that made him into the Beast.
 
 
The next morning, back at the estate… Fire was growling madly at her men. “Idiots…! I'm surrounded by nitwits.” She snarled. “You let my sister get away!”
 
The guards tried to explain themselves, but she wasn't interested in details, “and as for you…” she snarled at Vanlow. “You're fired!”
 
Vanlow looked heart-struck, “What…?”
 
“If you had just killed my sister like I paid you to, this wouldn't be happening now.”
 
Just then, there was a knock at the door… it was the police and they heard everything, and according to the instructions they had been given… the X-rays were found under Starr's bed mattress, and another bottle of the poison was found.
 
Fire, Vanlow… and all the guards were finished!
 
 
By mid-morning; Garfield and Giles had been waiting in the hospital wing the whole night waiting for Starr to come out from surgery. Giles, who was the one who called the police, was happy to tell Garfield that the police apprehended Fire and all her hired men…
 
“Vanlow has also been suspended indefinitely without pay for his crimes.” he was happy to say. Garfield smiled. In some ways he felt like a hero… but he knew that he had also transformed three times in 24 hours.
 
He did his gamma-ray test last night, but he wasn't sure if it worked or not. It was too dangerous to know.
 
Just then, Starr, who was now fully recovered from surgery and walking proudly, came up to them. She and Giles shared a warm hug, and Garfield felt so happy that she was going to be alright. “Don't worry about your sister.” he informed her, “She won't be bothering you anymore.”
 
Starr felt as if she officially owed Garfield her life, “I don't know how I can ever repay you. I would've been dead by now.” she said sweetly. “By the way… did your experiment work? Are you cured…?”
 
Garfield informed her that he wasn't sure, “But… I guess I better get going.”
 
Starr and Giles' features changed. “You're leaving…?” Starr asked.
 
Garfield nodded, “Yeah.”
 
Starr didn't want him to leave. She and Giles were actually willing to let him stay as long as he wanted. “Please, sir… you can't just go out there into the world all alone with no place to go.” Giles said.
 
“And I don't mind you turn into that… thing.” added Starr. “Please… won't you stay with us?”
 
Garfield shook his head, “Look you don't understand…” he paused and sighed. “The creature… it's wanted for murder. A murder I can't prove that it nor I didn't commit.” He looked at Starr right in her eyes. “You'd be harboring and aiding a fugitive.”
 
Giles realized how serious that was. “I'm afraid that he is correct, Princess.”
 
Starr still didn't mind, and tried to persuade Garfield, We can still hide you until they give up the search.” she said, “You'd be protected.”
 
Garfield thought it was really sweet of her showing how much she cared, but, “Would things really be safe…?” he asked her. “Remember… I have no control of the creature, and I'm never aware of what he does.”
 
“Would you really want me to stay when I lose my temper, or at nights when I'm haunted by nightmares…? Would you really want that creature around smashing up your beautiful home and endangering people's lives…?”
 
Garfield had no choice. He had to refuse and go at it on his own. “I have to keep on moving. I've got to find a way to either reverse the process, or control that beast and I can't ever stop until I can be a-hundred percent sure that it'll never happen again.”
 
Starr understood, and while her heart was beginning to break, she new this was for the best. “Garfield… I'm really going to Miss You.” she peeped softly as a tear ran down her cheek.
 
They hugged warmly and she kissed him on the cheek. Garfield then shook Giles' hand one last time. “Take care of her, will you?”
 
Giles nodded and gave his word.
 
Just then, Garfield looked up and saw four familiar faces. Jackie, and Jillian, and their fathers were at the end of the hallway. All four of them were being escorted by a nurse, where they were told that the Princess could give them some information regarding the sightings of a large beast.
 
“Those people…” Garfield cried. “I can't let them see me. They think I'm dead.” And then he ran off before the reporters and their daughters arrived and questioned Giles and the Princess about the beast.
 
Giles however assured them they had seen no beast, and ushered the men and their girls away so the Princess could be escorted to her cubicle to rest.
 
(Sad Piano music)
 
In her room, Starr gazed down at the streets and there was Garfield getting ready to board a transit bus out of town. Garfield turned, and saw her in the window. He waved goodbye to her one last time before disappearing onto the bus.
 
 
The lonely young man was once again on the road, walking away sadly, hoping to hitch a ride with someone. A very lonely, and near hopeless young-man....!
 
 
Garfield Logan is believed to be dead…
 
And he must let the world think that he IS dead until he can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him.