Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Incredible Beast ❯ A fear of the mind ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

EPISODE FIVE
 
It had officially been well over a year since Garfield had supposedly died and had ever since been wandering for so long like a leaf on a breeze, desperately searching for a way to cure him of the beast.
 
Garfield had trekked all the way across America, and made loads of new friends, as well as enemies. Time after time he would lose his temper and change into the beast, and eventually would have to move on all by himself; Especially with Jackie, Jillian… who had graduated from High-School, and stuck with their fathers desperately trying to capture the beast for the biggest news story ever.
 
Garfield had done some reading, and read in the papers about a hypnotist therapist who lived in England by herself. Her name was Dr. Raven Azarath, and she was known to be a clairvoyant, and used her gift to help the desperate, the lonely, and the frightened.
 
Garfield realized that maybe, even if he couldn't find a way to reverse the gamma-ray process, maybe… just maybe he could actually learn to take charge of his transformations; control the beast so that when he changed, he wouldn't take off on a fiery rage.
 
So he paid for the first flight, and arrived in England the next day. “Wow…” was the first thing he could say at the amazing sights there were. He had only studied about England while he was in school, but to actually be there… it was like a dream come true.
 
Still… he kept in mind that he was looking for Dr. Azarath, only he hadn't a clue of where to start looking for her, as the papers and phone books didn't seem to give an address, and when he asked around town he was shocked to hear things like…
 
“Dr. Azarath hasn't been seen for nearly two years now.”
 
“She went into seclusion.”
 
“I don't know any Dr. Azarath.”
 
He even tried the phone-operators, but no known number existed. Garfield was really starting to feel worried as if he had traveled such a long way for nothing. Still… that paper he had read a few days ago did say that Raven still lived somewhere in London.
 
Garfield saw no other choice but to search for her the old-fashioned way… just get up and start looking. He continued to ask around hoping that some of Raven's old patients would be able to help him out.
 
Finally he found one person who was willing to share. He was a man who looked like Garfield's old friend Robin, only he wore a special mask over his face because he had really sensitive eyes. His name was Kato… at his surprise…
 
“I knew Raven for such a time…” he said. “She would have been my wife, but then she began to act strongly and assured me that we could never meet up again.”
 
Garfield thought that was sad, but he got his answer that Raven used to live by herself in a house by the ocean. “But be warned… I doubt very much she is still there, and even if so… she may seem rather… disturbed.”
 
Garfield made sure to keep that in mind. Then he was off again leaving Kato deep in thought as he sat in his apartment alone. “Raven… whatever you do… please don't reject any else's help.”
 
 
On one of the beaches outside of London city, there was a small house standing on top of a small cliff top far away from the water. All the shutters were closed and locked tight which made the insides very dark indeed.
 
A young woman, with short purple hair, and very pale skin was lighting some candles and setting sweet smell powders in a ring of urns. Then she sat in a large armchair and concentrated very hard as if she was trying to suppress a deep feeling…
 
Then she shut her eyes, folded her arms together and silently repeated the same phrase over and over again…
 
“Azarath… Metrione… Zinthos.”
 
“Azarath… Metrione… Zinthos.”
 
Suddenly she began to feel frightened by something and began to twitch. She was seeing bad visions of herself placed in a great deal of danger… and he suspicions were soon to be proved right…
 
 
Outside of her house two thugs were outside holding a gas-bomb without power to drain the oxygen out of the palace of London. “Blimey… one shot of this baby and the duckie will fall out like a candle.” one of them laughed, “Ain't that right Smith?”
 
Smith nodded, “Right then, Benny… let's get it on with.”
 
The placed the Gas-Bomb near the air conditioner and then they ran off, unbeknownst that they were seen fleeing the scene by Garfield who had just arrived on the beach saw them run off, but he hadn't quite seen what they had done.
 
He did however have a bad feeling about those two as they seemed pretty suspicious to be wandering around a beach with the clothes they had on, at least he had finally found what he was looking for… as the name on the mailbox read…:
 
Raven Azarath.
 
Clairvoyant Therapist.
 
By Appointment Only.
 
He walked up to the door and knocked on it hoping he would get an answer, but suddenly he could hear the sound of someone coughing inside. Garfield began to pound on the door, “Dr. Azarath…!” he called “Dr. Azarath…!”
 
 
Inside, Raven was beginning to feel woozy. “I… I can't breathe…!” she peeped, and she finally fainted and couldn't hear Garfield pounding on the door. “DR. AZARATH…!” he shouted this time… but he forgot to watch his temper…
 
SNAP!
 
… And it happened again. He became the creature, and smashed the door down like matchwood and made his way into Raven's house; the creature began to feel rather funny as there was hardly any oxygen to breathe.
 
The creature did see a young woman lying unconscious on the floor. Hating to see her like that, the creature had this urge to get her out of the house, but as he raced for the door but just then, the same two men wearing gasmasks had already burst through the door but they couldn't see very well because of the darkness…
 
“There she is. chuckled Benny.
 
“Right… lets get `er out'a `ere and get going.” added Smith.
 
The moved in closer to pickup the unconscious therapist, when suddenly they heard the sound of something growling in the darkness. “What in Big Ben was that…?” asked Smith.
 
Then suddenly Benny screamed in fright as he caught sight of a huge snarling creature starring right at him. “Smith… Let's run for it!” he cried, as soon as Smith got once glimpse of the creature he and Benny were out the door and dashing away like comets.
 
The creature then scooped up Raven in his arms and instead of smashing another wall down he just dashed out the open door and carried the unconscious young-lady to safety further along the beach.
 
After a while the smoke-bomb had given-out and the house was filled with oxygen again, as for Raven she was starting to awaken, and the creature was starting to transform back into Garfield…
 
Raven had awoken feeling rather woozy, and confused. “Oh… where am I….?” she asked.
 
Garfield, who had already shaken off his confusion from his transforming, asked her, “Are you okay…?”
 
Raven winced as he caught her by surprise. “You scared me a little…” she said. She seemed to be okay, and then she asked, “What happened in there…?” and she even noticed that the young man starring at her… his clothes were all tattered.
 
Garfield however was just as confused as she was, until they went back to her house and discovered the bomb on the air-conditioning unit. “I knew something like this would happen…” Raven sighed.
 
Garfield wondered what she meant by that, but he did have a sneaky feeling that those two men were after her for some reason… probably something that had to do with her psychic readings.
 
“By the way… I never got ask your name…” she said.
 
“Oh… my name's Garfield… Garfield Olnag.” Once again he had to lie about his name for fear of what could happen. “I was coming here to seek your help…. but I had a hard time finding you.”
 
Raven sighed… and now that it was safe to go back inside, Garfield helped her clean the place up a bit, as well as fix the door. “You don't know how many people seek my help…” Raven said to him. “So what are you after? Gold…? Jewels maybe?”
 
As much as Garfield realized how wonderful that would be, “I'm not after a fortune or anything like that.” he informed her, “I came seeking your help because… well… it's sort of hard to explain...”
 
Raven just smiled, “Because you have a problem and you need my help to find a way to cure you?” she asked. Garfield was almost speechless, “How did you know that…?”
 
Raven shrugged and then did another prediction, “You've also been living on the edge lately. Moving from place to place… while on the run from something?”
 
Garfield realized that she really must have been psychic. How else could she get all that right without him even telling her? He would have asked her another question, but then he noticed she was looking down again…
 
“I just don't think I'm up for it.” she simply said, “I've been so on edge lately that I think I'm growing scared to even socialize.”
 
She explained to him that her life as a Psychic-Therapist had taken a sharp turn, and that people were coming just to take advantage of her gift for their own selfish needs. People would come barging at her door just for her help when her add clearly stated she was a therapist only.
 
Garfield then began to realize that those two were obviously two greedy goons trying to get at her; trying to take her against her will into doing dirty work for them. It was no wonder she was so afraid of the outside world…
 
She even went on explaining that she grew up with a fear of leaving her home, Agoraphobia. She wasn't like other girls and preferred somberness, meditation, and reading in other languages. People began to think of her as a creepy person… Garfield couldn't blame them.
 
Not to mention her father was very abusive to both her and her mother, but it was fortunate that they got her father arrested for assault, and family abuse and put him our of their lives, but Raven realized if she was ever to make it in life… she would have to overcome her fear of the world, and find was to make better use of her ways…
 
That was when she focused on her special talent of being able to predict events, and read minds… or even seek out items that other sought. “Now I think it was all just a big mistake.” she said. “Look what's happened to me… people try to take advantage of me… and get me to do things against my will. So I had no choice but to seclude myself from everyone so I could avoid further trouble.”
 
Garfield suddenly remembered. “Does that include a guy named Kato…?”
 
Raven's eyes bugled and she dropped the tea-cup she was holding. “How do you know him…?” she asked. Garfield told her that was how he found her. Raven admitted that Kato was indeed her boyfriend…
 
“He was the only guy out there who made me feel like I wasn't… creepy.” she explained.
 
It turned out that Kato was just like her; Somber, liked the dark… he even tried to become Psychic just to impress her but it was a girt that you had be born with, and could not just learn.
 
Still… they were close together, and just like Kato had earlier said, they were hoping to be married, but Raven couldn't risk his safety. Not with all the trouble that had been going on… so she left him and hadn't seen or spoken to him in two years.
 
While it hurt… she just couldn't risk it.
 
Garfield would have argued with her, but then again that was the real reason why he was on the run too. “I know exactly how you feel.” he simply said. He said no more, and he didn't have to… as Raven was already beginning to sense that he too was trapped in a situation like hers and desperately trying to find a way out of it.
 
“If it means that much to you… I'll see if I can try and help you.” she offered him.
 
Garfield smiled. Things were starting to look up for him, and he knew he could trust Raven; being a therapist, she wasn't supposed to let out anything of what she knew that he would tell her.
 
 
Then… late that night… She set another meditative circle, lit some candles and told Garfield to relax, and clear his mind. She was going to try and tap into his mind and try to discover the truth.
 
She was however shocked to learn that he had lied about his name. “You're name's not Garfield Olnag…” she said. Garfield opened his eyes and realized there was no way around it. “No, it isn't…” he said. “My real name… is Garfield Logan.”
 
Raven's eyes nearly bulged, “Logan…?” she asked. “But that can't be. Garfield Logan died in a lab-explosion a year ago.”
 
Garfield shook his head, “Nope… I didn't”
 
Raven thought this was amazing, until she also learned that Garfield was trying to make the world think that he really was dead and not tell anyone! She then told him to concentrate again so she could dig down deep into his mind.
 
She could see his past… how he tried to save his parents from that boat accident, but he failed, and had been traumatized ever since. “Is that what's bothering you…?”
 
Garfield nodded, “Well sort of… but it's not the only reason.” he answered, “No, there's… something else… something dangerous.”
 
Raven began to fee a little worried, but also very curious. “Garfield… I want to see this problem of yours.”
 
Garfield knew that even in the line of therapy, “Oh, no, no… I shouldn't do that.” he tried to warn her, “It's a lot more dangerous than you think…”
 
Raven wouldn't take no for an answer. “If you want me to help you… then I need you to show or at least tell Me.” she said.
 
Garfield knew it couldn't hurt to tell her. “All right… I'll tell you… you may not believe me.”
 
Raven wanted to know… and so, Garfield explained of how it all happened.
 
How he lived with his Foster mother, Dr. Rita Dayton… and they were both on the verge of figuring a way to tap into the super-human strengths that everyone had.
 
He bombarded his body with gamma-rays hoping to improve his unusually low levels of strength, but he unwittingly used too much… then he had his little accident on the road and tried to fix it, but it was pouring rain.
 
Finally… his hand skidded, and smacked hard on the road “AAAOW…! GAAAA-AAAH…!”
 
“That's when I began to feel strange…” Garfield explained. “I felt this strange rush of energy going through me, and I realized that I was changing into some… creature.”
 
Raven could hardly believe this at all. Garfield had some strange powers that allowed him to transform into a strong creature, with unbelievable powers of brute force. “Why would you want to get rid of it?” she asked. “You possess something truly remarkable…”
 
Garfield snapped upright, “You're wrong!” he said with a deep concern. “I don't possess the power… it possess me. I have no control over it when it breaks loose, and I don't even realize what I'm doing.”
 
Raven began to realize that perhaps he was right, as she did remember that her front-door was smashed wide open. Garfield went on explaining about the beast, “It happens whenever I get angry… and even happens when I'm asleep and have bad dreams.”
 
Raven could tell that this was more serious than she thought. “In all my years I've never heard of such a case.” She also wasn't sure what all this had to do with her, until Garfield explained his plan to use her help to hopefully find a way for him to mentally control the beast.
 
Raven admitted that she was good in curing people of fears, and difficulties with acknowledgement… but this was something new for her books. Still she wasn't willing to give up. There hadn't been a serious patient she hadn't cured before, and she wasn't about to let Garfield be the first.
 
 
Meanwhile, back in town…
 
Smith and Benny had returned to their hangout place deep in the alleys by the harbor both of them were still pretty shaken up having encountered that… that… monster!
 
“H'oy look at us…” snapped Smith, “We're actin' like a pair `a nervous ninnies, we are.”
 
Benny took a sip of his liquor bottle, “Yeah… we shouldn't let ourselves be pushed around like this. Everyone will thinkin' that were nothin'”
 
The men decided to try and go for a second stab at kidnapping Raven. Their plan was to use her psychic gift to make them a fortune by cheating at lotteries, and help them avoid the authorities.
 
Their only problem was, even though they were determined to make that happen, neither one of them was willing to want to go back to her beach-house for fear that the creature they saw would still be there.
 
No… they had figure a way to draw her out into the open. “'Ow we gonna do that…?” Benny asked. “That there lass wouldn't leave `er `ouse for anythin'”
 
That's when Smith grinned wickedly, “Yeah… of course.” she sniggered, “She won't leave for anything… but that don't mean she won't leave for anyone…”
 
They went through their photo albums of folks they had run-ins with in town. “Yeah… “Smith said, “We're going to play a little blackmail, and He's going to be the bait for the trap.”
 
Both of them were looking at a picture of Kato, Raven's so-called ex-boyfriend.
 
 
Later on, Kato was on his way home for his job as a toll-booth operator. He was still very worried about Raven; she had not returned his letters or phone calls for nearly two years now and still would give any reason why.
 
He just wished that whatever was bothering her he could be there to help her like he was there to help her conquer her agoraphobia before it started up again. “Oh Raven…” he sighed softly to himself.
 
As he made his ways to the iron stairway leading to his apartment, he was suddenly attacked by two men who drugged him with chloroform. It was Benny and Smith, now that they had Kato… the next step was soon to begin.
 
 
Raven decided to give Garfield a dose of Sensory-deprivation therapy. Garfield was stripped of his clothes, but given a wet suit to use, and he was to lay in a tank of refreshing warm water while Raven would be speaking to him over a speaker-radio.
 
This exercise would help them dig deep into Garfield's mind, where he would hopefully be able to have his inner self make contact with the beast, and attempt to contain it. This would possibly result in Garfield being able to gain control over the Beast's anger and destructive behaviour.
 
“You ready…?” Raven asked.
 
Garfield drew in a brave deep breath, “Yeah… I'm ready.” he said as he climbed in and Raven shut the lid. The neo light around the rim weren't very bright but Garfield was already feeling well relaxed. It was really hard to turn down the sound sin his brain.
 
“Okay… are you ready?” Raven asked over the speaker. Garfield responded, “It's a little strange in here but I'm okay.”
 
Raven gave Garfield a few minutes to relax until he was resting blissfully. Then she asked him to concentrate hard. “You won't think of anything else… just you… the beast, and trying to contain it.”
 
Garfield concentrated all that he could…
 
Suddenly he could see himself walking though a hot and endless desert, and there on a far away sand-dune, “I see him…” Garfield said, “I see the creature. He's just standing there starring back at me.”
 
The creature narrowed its eyes and growled as it flexed its huge fists. “Wait… he's getting angry.” cried Garfield. Raven told him to relax and stay calm. Garfield calmed down a little but his fear began to spike again.
 
“He-- He's coming!” he cried, “He's coming after me…”
 
Raven assured him that he couldn't get hurt, “It's all in your mind.” She explained to him, “Now I want you to picture a huge steel cage… made of the strongest alloys in the world all mixed together.
 
Garfield imaged a huge cage mad of such super strong steel, that not even a tank could break the bars while ramming at full speed. The creature was trapped inside, growling and snarling furiously as he tried to break free.
 
“Okay… he's trapped.” said Garfield. “But he's trying to break out. I don't think he can, but he is trying, and he's really getting mad.”
 
Raven was glad to hear this, and then she instructed Garfield to imaging a gas-hose, filled with knock-out gas. “Can you see it…?” she asked.
 
Garfield waited a few moments, and suddenly there it was before him. “I got it!” he cried, “I'm going to try and spray at him, maybe he'll fall asleep.”
 
Raven took down many notes and was pleased to see that progress was being made, until Garfield, still in the depths of his mind imaged he was spraying the beast in the cage, but the gas didn't seem to be doing anything at all; the creature didn't even look a bit sleepy.
 
It held down its hands from covering his eyes from the blast. Then he looked really angry as he roared and grabbed hold of the bars shaking them vigorously. “He's breaking lose…!” cried Garfield. “The gas didn't work… he's bending the bars!”
 
Even Raven herself was beginning to feel worried, “Garfield…! Garfield…! Calm down… try to relax.”
 
But Garfield couldn't relax. Despite the fact that the bars in his vision were unbreakable, they weren't unshakable. POW! He shook the bars right off their bolts and broke loose.
 
Garfield tried to run for it, but he slipped in the sand which gave the creature the advantage to lunge at him. “Garfield…! Garfield…!” cried Raven, “Are you okay…?”
 
Garfield finally snapped awake, but…
 
SNAP!
 
He lost complete control of himself and began to transform again!
 
Raven realized she had to get him out of there and yet as she reached for the latches the tank shook vigorously followed by the sound of growling. Raven backed away in fear as the lid began to lump with dents as if something were pounding it from the inside..
 
Then, KAPOW…! The lid bust off and water splattered all over the floor. Raven's features were stuck in the same position. Wide-eyes, open jaw as the large monster emerged from the tank and angrily smashed against the basement walls.
 
Raven never felt so afraid in her life, she was quaking with fear. The creature glared his huge furious eyes at her and growled, knowing fully well that she had just made him angry with her little therapy.
 
He kicked away the chair Raven was just sitting in, and smashed the coffee table near it. Raven too frightened to even scream. Not that it would matter; no one could hear her.
 
“No… Garfield, don't!” she begged, “It's me, Raven…”
 
The creature continued to growl as it approached her. Raven continued to back away until she was trapped by the walls. The creature was about to pick her up and do, who knew what…?
 
But Raven, thinking quickly, tried a last attempt psychic-contact into the mind of the creature. “Garfield… I know you're in there.” she thought, “You have to try and calm yourself…!”
 
The creature's hands were just inches away from grabbing the defenseless girl when suddenly he grabbed his head instead, growling in confusion. It was as if Raven's psychic message was making contact with Garfield's inner-self.
 
The creature then looked back at Raven with a calmer expression on his face and his growling grew softer. Raven opened her eyes to realize the creature was calming down. She placed her hand over his… and the creature looked down, and then back at her.
 
“Garfield… concentrate.” she told him. “You're not angry at me! I'm not your enemy.”
 
The creature could somehow understand her words, and slowly began to change back into Garfield. Garfield shook himself awake, “Ooh… my head.” he groaned. His vision became clear again and he realized where he was.
 
“Raven…?”
 
She shook her head in shame which told Garfield that he had indeed transformed, and because he couldn't remember anything that had happened, it obviously meant that he still had no control over the beast.
 
Raven was even starting to show signs of doubts. She never had a case this serious before in all her years of therapy, still she wasn't willing to give up. In the meantime Garfield offered to help her clean up the mess that he obviously made in her basement.
 
They both went upstairs to get things from the broom closet, but that's when Garfield noticed there was a note slid under the front door. “Hey… what's this?” he muttered as he picked it up.
 
He then realized how serious it was, “Raven…!” he called. “Look at this…” Raven dashed over, he handed her the note and it read:
 
“If you ever want to see your precious Kato again, then come to the harbor at midnight and prepare to surrender to us.”
 
“Benny and Smith”
 
Raven looked as if she had just swallowed a fly. “Oh, no… not Kato!” she cried.
 
Garfield realized this was obviously from those two guys he saw earlier, the ones who fixed the bomb to the air-conditioning. Now they were using Kato as bait to get Raven to working for them.
 
Raven didn't know what she was going to do.
 
 
Meanwhile… at their hideout near the harbor, Benny and Smith had Kato tied to a chair, while they were playing cards away from him; they just sat there mocking at him too. “Aww… what's the ma'er lad…?” Smith chuckled. “Too worried about yer lady love to smile…? Heh, heh, heh…”
 
Kato weakly opened his eyes, he hadn't eaten in hours, but he wasn't too weak to speak. “You vicious low lives!” he growled, “How can pick on a woman like Raven, and for what… your own selfish greed?”
 
“Ah, put a sock in why don't ya…!” snarled Benny, “Yer li'le lady's not gonna `ave much a choice if she wants to save your skin.”
 
Kato had no idea of what to think. Raven was still a rather frightened and disturbed young lady. Not to mention she had never been close to the city in two years. What could she possibly do?
 
He could only just imagine the trauma she was going through if she had read that blackmailing letter already…
 
 
Raven was pacing back and forth in a sign of panic. She had never been so worried before in her life. Kato was being held a prisoner, and she felt powerless to help him as it would mean heading into town for the first time in a long time, and she still wasn't sure she was ready for that yet as her agoraphobia had still not been conquered.
 
“What am I going to do…?” she cried.
 
“Well can hold still for a minute at least.” Garfield said to her. Raven realized she had pacing like a crazy woman for quite a while now, and so she sat down.
 
She really had no idea of what she could do for fear that either Kato would be harmed or she'd have to face up to her fear and go into town again. “Garfield, you got to help me on this…” she nearly begged.
 
Garfield shook his head, “They don't want me, they want you to go.” He said to her, “Besides… do realize how dangerous it would be for me to tackle this by myself.” He was referring to the fact that he still had no control with his transformation, and that if he went out there and changed, then Kato, if not then someone else was liable to get hurt.
 
“Look, I don't see any other option.” replied Garfield, “If you want to help Kato out, then you're just going to have to face up to your fear.”
 
Raven shook her head, “Ah… I can't! I just can't!”
 
Garfield placed his hands on her shoulders and looked her dead in the eyes. “You can, Raven!” he said to her, “Think about what's on the line here… It's Kato's life and safety.”
 
He went on explaining how Raven had said herself that she didn't want to bring danger to Kato's life by being with him, yet she hadn't been with him and he was already in trouble.
 
As for Benny and Smith, they seemed like just the low lives that would make good on their threat to kill him if Raven didn't give herself up. Raven's head was really starting to ache under the stress.
 
She still cared for Kato… in fact she cared for him more than anything in this world. So, she realized there really was no other option. “I'll do it…!” she finally said, but she would only do it if Garfield would come with her.
 
Garfield was more than obliged to help.
 
 
By nightfall they left the beach, and made their way into town. They hadn't even set foot inside, and were just standing by the boundary line that over looked the town. Raven felt more amazed than she felt frightened as she gazed at all the tall buildings.
 
“I spent such a long time in the darkness… I almost forgot how beautiful the city looks at night.”
 
Garfield remembered nights like this, back in the time he and his fiancée Terra would just go out of town and wait for the sun to set. Then they'd just nestle not each other's arms and they would just look up at the stars over the city lights.
 
How he really missed her…
 
“You alright…?” Raven asked.
 
Garfield snapped to his senses “Oh… yeah… I'm okay.” and they stepped into town.
 
Raven was pretty nervous, but at least it was nighttime and there wasn't as many people out. but those who were outside and caught a glimpse of her were amazed. She could even hear them whispering…
 
“Dr. Azarath…?”
 
“She hasn't been seen for a while…”
 
“What's she doing here…?”
 
Raven felt her nerves were racing like her heart, but Garfield was there for support, and she also kept in mind that they were trying to save Kato.
 
The blackmailing note said to meet them around midnight near the harbor, but Garfield and Raven began to form a plan to surprise the goons.
 
The first thing they did was they went to the police, but Garfield had to stay outside because he couldn't let them see him or they may recognize him as Garfield Logan; Deceased.
 
Raven had to go in by herself and report the case, which wasn't a very easy thing for her to do but, she managed to overcome a little more of her fear and the police were on the case.
 
Raven couldn't believe it, “I did it…” she muttered softly. “I actually confronted with people socially.”
 
She saw Garfield in a dark corner and he winked at her. “Come on… let's go…” he motioned.
 
 
It was really getting late, but it was still three hours to midnight, and Garfield and Raven were already sneaking near the harbor, and they saw an old-abandoned warehouse. “That must be it…” Garfield whispered. “That must be where Smith and Benny have Kato.”
 
Raven nodded, and then checked her watch. The police-constable had promised they would be there as soon as they could. “I just hope Kato's okay in there.” she whispered.
 
But suddenly… she and Garfield were grabbed from behind by the two thugs who had been hiding outside amongst the crates all along, and when they came to their senses… they were inside the warehouse, chained to the walls. “Raven…? Are you okay…?”
 
“Mmm… I guess so.” she answered.
 
Just then a huge light flicked on, blinding them both for a moment. “`Ello… what `ave we `ere.” sniggered a voice. It was Smith. “And here I was `opin' just to capture the lassie… and low… I catch me another mate as well.”
 
Garfield and Raven realized they had been set up, and now they were trapped. “Where's Kato?” Raven growled.
 
Smith grinned, and snapped his fingers. Another right flipped on and there was Kato, still tied in his chair and Benny was holding him at gunpoint. “Kato…!”
 
He looked up weakly. “R-Ra-ven…!”
 
Benny laughed, “Aw… `ow sweet.” He mocked, “The two long lost lovey-doves… I think I'm gonna cry. Heh, ah, ah, ah…”
 
Garfield tried to struggle loose from the ropes, “What do you want from us…?” he demanded to know.
 
It turned out that Smith and Benny were craftier than they looked. They weren't planning to ever release Kato, but in fact use him to lure Raven into their clutches for their old plans, and then keep them as hostages. “After all… once we're the biggest lo'ery scandal in `istory, we can blimey well `ave the authorities after us now….”
 
Raven felt sick to her stomach, and Garfield was starting to lose it, but he caught a glimpse of Raven shaking her head at him telling him to keep it cool.
 
“Benny… go and see if ye can get the chopper ready, Will ya…?” asked Smith, “We're taking these two out.” he motioned at Raven and Kato.
 
Benny nodded and ran off.
 
“Wait a minute… what are you going to do with me?”
 
Smith turned and gazed over his shoulder. His eye shined wickedly, and he poised his gun right at him. “What do you think…?”
 
Garfield gasped. “No! No… you can't!”
 
“Oh but I can, and will…” protested Smith. “We may got our `ostages now… but what we don't need is… a witness!”
 
Garfield was struggling harder than ever, so was Raven. “No… Garfield…!” she cried. “Leave him alone…!”
 
Even Kato was trying to break loose, but Smith grabbed hold of Garfield by the jaw holding him still. “SHUT UP…!” he roared. Little he realize he was squeezing Garfield too hard by the jaw and really hurting him.
 
Garfield couldn't hold it in anymore… and…
 
SNAP!
 
There it was, that look in his eyes again, and his clothes were shredding again, and the ropes broke under the width of his muscles.
 
Smith turned, “Say your-- Uh…?” he stopped when he realized that he was starring into the snarling face of a seven-foot tall, hairy, creature, “Prayers…?” he squeaked like a mouse.
 
He screamed in fear as the creature growled at him and lifted him up over his head, and there him like a javelin across the wooden floor, and onto the billiard table that collapsed under his weight.
 
Kato and Raven couldn't believe their eyes.
 
Smith got up all weary from hitting his head, but he could see the creature stomping his way towards him; smashing up all the old furniture in his path. “S-S-Stay away from me ya hulkin' creep!” he shouted, and shot the creature in the arm.
 
Raven screamed as she snapped her eyes shut, and Kato gasped in shock.
 
The creature's blood cursed forth, but he only seemed to grow angrier and roared louder. Benny came rushing down from being on the roof where the chopper was. “H'oy… Smith… what's all the-- G-G-G-AAH…!”
 
The creature turned to gaze at Benny and roared at him. “Who's that, Smith?”
 
Smith didn't care as he scuttled to the stares, “Let's get outta' `ere!” and he ran for the stairs so fast that he dropped his gun and it fired on its own cutting a section Kato's ropes, while barley missing him. “YIKES…!” but at least he was able to break free.
 
Then he scuttled over to his love, “Raven…!” he cried.
 
“Kato…!” she cried while still fussing to get free.
 
“Hold on… I'll get you loose.” Replied Kato as he began to work at the ropes, but suddenly he found himself gazing deeply into her eyes, and she was gazing up at him too. “Your eyes…” he spoke softly, “I had almost forgotten how dark they are.”
 
Raven winked twice, but then smiled as she felt her cheeks turning red. “You always knew how to make me smile.”
 
Kato let go of the ropes, and then softly placed his lips over Raven's for the first time in two years, and there they just remained in the silence of the dark room.
 
 
While up on the roof it was a totally different story…
 
The creature chased after the bumbling criminals all the way to the roof, where they were already on the verge of making a quick get-away in their chopper. The engines were ramming at full speed but they weren't ascending into the sky.
 
“Move it! Take off already!” bellowed Smith.
 
“I'm tryin'… but we're stuck!” cried Benny. Then they saw why. They each looked out from the cab and saw the creature actually holding the chopper down with his bare hands, and still growling angrily.
 
The two thugs screamed in horror as the next thing they knew was happening, the creature was ramming huge punches into the back of the chopper smashing it up and damaging the systems and pipes, causing it to deactivate, and explode!
 
The two men bailed out before it went up, but the creature was so strong that he too survived. “Oh, bloody `ell!” cried smith.
 
The creature then lunged at the two men, and grabbed them both hard. “I'm dreamin'…” Benny wailed. “Oh, come on Benny boy, wake up man… WAKE UP!”
 
He wasn't dreaming, and neither was Smith. The creature threw them off the roof, thirty yards away, and two stories down into the water below.
 
The men swam up to the surface only to find the police had just arrived, and were waiting for them. “It's off to prison for you blokes.” The constable sneered at the wet thugs. “We've been lookin' for you lads for a long time.”
 
The creature could see them down below, but he was suddenly bathed in searchlights. “You up there!” yelled a voice over a megaphone. “Freeze! We have the place completely surrounded.”
 
The creature saw this as his que to leave. I leapt over the rooftops, away from the area… and ran off into the night; just in the nick of time too because the London newspapers were already asking about that… thing…! Whatever it was, it was gone now.
 
 
The next day…
 
Raven, now completely over her fear of the towns people, reopened her therapy to the general public, and moved in with Kato. She was just standing there on that sunny morning gazing out the widow at the town.
 
Her boyfriend joined her, “He's not out there anymore.” He said to her; referring to Garfield.
 
Raven nodded sadly. Garfield gathered what little belongings he had left and headed for the airport to flee the country. Only Kato and Raven knew why he was doing it… but they did not dare tell anyone… not even the press.
 
But Garfield did stop by to say goodbye before he left…
 
Still… Raven thought of him as really close friend. “He taught me to face my fear, and I couldn't help him in return.” She was referring to the fact that her therapy resulted in failure for him.
 
“He is a strong, and wise young man.” Kato said. “He will find a way to survive and conquer his great trouble.”
 
Raven knew he was right, but still. During the time she spent with Garfield, she could sense that deep down, buried behind all that courage, and wisdom, there was a frightened, lonely guy.
 
(Piano song plays)
 
Garfield was already onboard the first plan out of Brittan. Where he was going… he didn't know, but he really was feeling lonely, and discouraged that he had once again failed to find a cure for himself.
 
At least he was happy to know that Raven was happy now, even if he wasn't. So for now… Garfield just continued run.
 
Garfield Logan is believed to be dead…
 
And he must let the world think that he really IS dead until he can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him.