Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ There go the brides ❯ Lust for Power ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER THREE
Copy-Cat had been in the rec-room all afternoon unleashing his anger and frustration on the punching bag. He even used his battle-claws to shred it to bits. He really was angry, and worried about Raven.
“Glad he's not mad at us.” Beast Boy said to Terra.
“It wasn't either of your faults.” Cyborg said. “So, don't beat yourselves up.”
Copy-Cat came back into the lounge feeling a little better after blowing off all that's team. He looked out of breath and tired. “Feel better…?” Terra asked.
“Yes… as a matter of fact, I do.” Copy-Cat answered. “But what are we to do now? We must get Raven back.”
Robin agreed, but the first thing to do was consider all their facts, and figure out a plan of action, since splitting up didn't do any good, and neither did following Blackheart anyway.
They all just hoped that Raven was alright, wherever she was.
The bride that was captured had been thrown into that holding cell with other sobbing, frightened brides. Their cried were becoming unbearable for the guard to have to listen to. One of them had the nerve to kick the bars and yell, “Quiet in there!” Look I'm a sensitive guy, I hate seeing pretty women cry.”
The brides' sobbing only seemed to get louder and sadder than ever. As much as it annoyed the guard, Captain Blackheart didn't mind… mostly because his room was up on the next level so he couldn't hear them as much, and the pure energy he collected from them was raising the level of the liquids in the giant jar. Now it was two-thirds of the way full.
Raven was locked in a cell of her own in the back of the chamber. While his back was turned, Raven tried to teleport out of the cell. “Azarath… Metrione… Zinthos…!” but she only ended up bounding off the walls, ceiling and floor as if she were in a bouncy room, except none of it was soft, and rather painful to bang up against.
“I'm afraid you'll find that escape is not so easy.” said the captain. The walls, ceiling and floor of the cell had been shielded with the same force-field that was around the transport cage earlier. So Raven couldn't try to beam out, and she was warned not to touch the glass on the door as it too was energized.
She could no signal from her mind or her communicator. “Your friends won't be able to save you, or the brides I've captured.”
Raven was starting to lose her temper. It showed in her glowing eyes. “Why, you…! Just you wait when…!”
“Quiet!” shouted Blackheart. “Don't speak unless spoken to.”
Raven gritted her teeth and growled softly, but at least she didn't have to ask why Blackheart was doing all this, as he decided to explain it all himself.
Years ago…
He, Jeffery Heartman, was madly in love with a most wonderful woman whom he cherished more than life itself. He enjoyed spending his every waking moment with her and tending to her every desire and need. They would have been so happy together… if only she had accepted his proposal for marriage.
She insisted she needed to move on, and try new things. After everything Jeffery did for her and all he was offering her-- she just left him like that! Feeling crushed and betrayed Jeffery began change form a kind, sweet-hearted young man to a bitter and paranoid lunatic-- dubbing himself, Captain Blackheart; a man who no longer cared about love, and only sought to obtain power for his own goals and aspirations.
It was during the time he discovered the secrets of converting the biological energies of living organisms into powers that he bestowed on himself and his man to get stronger. The purer the energy-- the stronger the force…
That's why he was capturing young brides on their wedding days. It didn't get any purer than that. Plus, he enjoyed seeing people who were experiencing the happiness and joy he was denied suffer.
Even if the brides were downstairs and frightened to their hearts-- that changed nothing. The longer they remained in their cell down below, the more their energy was transferred into the giant jar. “Soon, I'll have all that I need to become the most deadly, most powerful creature the world has ever known, and nothing, no one, not even you or your friends will stand in my way. The world will fall to its knees in fear as I rise to ultimate greatness. Ha, ha, ha, ah, ah, ah…!”
Raven could understand a little of why Blackheart would go to such extremes, but she still didn't approve of all the sick and twisted things he had done. Not to mention being completely deluded and blinded by a lust for such power. “You claim you'll be the most powerful, but you won't be.” Raven said. “Power may be formidable, but without intelligence and heart… power is nothing but an empty threat.”
Blackheart walked up to the glass and gazed Raven deeply in the eyes. “I believe… things will be seen otherwise.” he hissed. He said nothing more.
The titans kept on thinking and considering plans until long after sundown. The best option they had come up with was instead of going after Captain Blackheart, “We can get him to come after us.” suggested Robin “We'll set a trap for him.”
“A trap…?” asked Beast Boy. “And how do you propose we do that, and how do we know he'll go for it?”
Even Cyborg was curious to figure what Robin had in mind…
Blackheart was after brides, so they were going to give him a fake bride who would pose as the real thing in sham-wedding. Hopefully, Blackheart would fall for the gag, and abduct the bride. While the bride would be wearing a transmitter and lead the titans to Blackheart's hideout.
Robin had earlier been in contact with a couple that were thinking about cancelling their wedding the next day, but agreed to help the titans pull the scheme off.
“There's just one problem…” Terra asked. “Who's going to pose as the bride?”
Nobody said anything, and the others all just stared at Copy-Cat, and he got the drift already. He was very crazy about it, but he agreed to do it. It was logical for him since his shape shifting would copy the bride perfectly, and he was willing to do it… for his love, Raven.