Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Bound Through Space ❯ Questions for a Friend ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ayeka numbly stumbled from the room after the confrontation had died down, easily hidden within the mass of courtiers. She felt tossed, the seemingly relentless demands slamming against her consciousness and nearly breaking her will. That man… that minister he had done this to her. And as her thoughts focused back to the image of Kagato the forceful litany rang a riotous chorus through her mind.

Mine to have, mine to control, mine to use, mine to own… My pet, my toy, my puppet… Always mine to use, forever mine to abuse…your will is my whim. You are mine.

Again and again the words raced in endless circles round her head. Louder than the greatest explosion and more powerful than all the forces of nature, the voice droned incessantly laying claim to her very soul. She felt trapped, confined… the voice drowning out all other senses. Her mind could not comprehend beyond the unyielding demand.

Ayeka managing to maintain her regal poise until she had accidentally stumbled into the tiny, dark room, the princess quietly closed the door behind her and slid to the floor in a barely conscious heap. It pulled at her reason and tore at her will. The voice. Constantly demanding her to acquiesce. The tears came slowly as the voice pressed even rational thought and physical sensation from her mind. There was nothing left but the pain that she felt. The unbearable, plasma hot, searing pain that gripped her mind.

Lancing spikes of supernova brilliance flashed behind her eyes as the pain grew. And still the voice continued. On and on and on it droned; blasting her will with its persistence. Fat, hot tears slipped unchecked from her eyes as the pain grew in its ferocious intensity. Breathing became difficult as loud pain filled hiccupping sobs stole precious air from her lungs.

Her hands fisted in her hair covering her ears, in a desperate attempt to keep the voice from entering further into her head. But still it rang throughout her mind. The pain continuing to grow, it was so tremendous now that Ayeka felt hysteria beginning to fill her heart. The pain would never end and the voice would simply consume her. Rocking back and forth in an attempt to comfort herself Ayeka lost herself to the terrorizing hell of her own mind.

It was growing louder now; the voice seemed to expand beyond her mind and now filled the room. She felt surrounded by thousands, the noise rising in a cacophonous swell fracturing at the very foundations of her sanity. Lucid thought beyond her, as she lost herself under the full inundating force of his voice, Ayeka's lips slowly started forming the words that were repeating through her mind.

Clapping his hands to his head Kagato howled in pain. It had taken years of meticulous intervention and silent subterfuge to establish that link, and that pathetic Juraian mongrel had shredded it in a matter of seconds. Seething in enraged pain and ire, Kagato strode through the corridors of the palace mind racing through his plans. His thoughts wandering to what he intended to do to and with Ryoko once she was his. His pet, his puppet, his toy… how nicely she had grown and he could feel the sleeping powers within her. He would harness that energy, drain her of her very essence, and consume her until there was nothing left. When he had taken all she had to give, he would use her.

Yes, his darling Ryoko would suffer under his control. Kagato could not help the smile that spread across his face as he remembered the look on Ryoko's face when she had felt his presence. Agony and pain was so beautiful. Torturing the proud, bending them to your will and breaking their very soul, that was true ecstasy. Ryoko was going to make a splendid pet, her willful personality would be glorious to tame.

Kagato felt his body stir with lust as his imagination supplied him the delectable image of Ryoko meek and subservient to his will. Yes, soon he would have all his heart desired. Confident and self-assured, Kagato strode assertively towards The Great Hall. The silent mantra to claim Ryoko turning idly through his head, again his imagination supplied the image of her submitting to his words.

Mine to have, mine to control, mine to use, mine to own… My pet, my toy, my puppet… Always mine to use, forever mine to abuse…your will is my whim. You are mine.

His thoughts drifted, something that they rarely if ever did. The words repeated again and again, his lips forming the words, his mind laying the claim. Nodding occasionally to passing courtiers Kagato felt drawn by a hushed call that seemed to be pleading with him. Following his senses, Kagato continued through the hallways. Corridor after corridor passed as he felt an urgency grow. Her voice was pleading with him, begging him to save her. But who was she?

Rounding a second corner, he sensed her misery. It hung with a stifling, agonizing pall, engulfing the area surrounding the room she hid in. Kagato smirked as he watched the confused staff scuttle about. Scurrying in a desperate attempt to flee from the pendulous dreariness that suffocated the normal calm. Her pain was palpable in the oddly dense air. He marched his way to the door.

From the other side of the door Ayeka curled further in on herself. Attempting to use her body as a shield from the pain. The only comfort she received was from repeating the words; something about saying them soothed away a fraction of the pain. Her sanity becoming nothing more than a thin ribbon of sagacity that connected mind to movement and converted movement into sound. She never heard her voice rise in strident ritornelle, chokingly spewing the same consuming words.

But from the entry, he heard her. The words filled the corridor as her voice rose in a shrieking discordance. His smile grew as each word rented the air and tore at her throat. This sweet symphony of torment and agony was a delightful respite from the irritations of moments previous. Lifting his hand to the door Kagato gently pushed it open. A weight behind the door made it momentarily difficult, which only increased his smile.

With the door fully opened he easily stepped inside the room the cry of glorious pain ringing loudly as he stood over the source. Looking down Kagato could not contain his avidity. His deep laughter rolled in menacing paean weaving a raucous counterpoint to Ayeka's painful shrieking. For the huddling princess the pain was beyond her, the voice was all she knew, it absorbed and consumed her.

Kagato lowered himself, squatting at her side, his laughter settled to a muffled chuckle. This was simply too perfect for words. His claim established on another soul. How deliciously miraculous the situation was. Convincing the Princess Ayeka to do his bidding would simply be a matter of conditioning her. And if the shrieking, trembling mass before him gave any indication he was going to have a very simple, yet entertaining task ahead. Pain, always his favorite form of negative reinforcement, was obviously going to teach his new pet how to behave properly. Reaching a gloved hand towards the cowering princess, Kagato's smile widened as her shriek crescendo to a banshee's scream when his hand made contact.

The pain amplified beyond her ability to contain, her voice rose of its own will, her lungs forcing the air from her body in great assiduous puffs. Her body clenched even further into a ball instinct forcing her to curl tighter around herself. Anything, anything at all… shelter, sanctuary, salvation, absolutely any form of redemption to assuage the rampageous agony that burned her very soul. Forever spanned before her in a yawning span of misery.

Kagato's voice rose from within her mind and beside her ear. "I can end this. I can end your pain, your suffering. All I ask of you is that you loathe me yet adore me, fear me yet revile me, follow my every command and I will give you your fondest wishes."

The pain was gone; Ayeka uncurled her body slowly and tried to calm her erratic breathing. Her lungs burned and her throat felt raw, but by comparison she felt as if her body was floating on a gently soothing breeze. Gradually she moved to a sitting position, her legs decorously tucked beneath the folds of her kimono. She tried to gather herself and decipher her surroundings.

Eyes blinked open to look sightlessly at the ground. She tried to focus her hearing to the bustle of servants she knew must be beyond the door. She could hear nothing, nothing more than his hushed chuckling. She splayed her hands across her kimono hoping to feel the familiar whisper of luxurious silk against her fingertips. She could feel nothing beneath her hands. Her world, her reality was completely smothered by his will. All she could feel was his presence. His very existence blocking out all of her sense and overwhelming her. He would control her; Ayeka's eyes welled with tears again.

To have come this far and found a place to belong, maybe even a family to love? Only to lose the dream of such a life to this pompous usurper's lusting for the throne? All her life she had been a pawn. She was piece to be shuffled and bargained with by those that claimed to have her best interests at heart. Her fate as far as she could remember was to marry and seal the best possible situation for her family's and her people's well being.

She knew that she would not be able to withstand another bout with that horrendous pain. Despite her grandest efforts to destroy her part as a royal bargaining chip, her weakness was binding her to the role more firmly than shackles. Ayeka's tear-filled anguished eyes rose to gaze up at him. If she had any strength at all she would resist him. She would fight. But just as her bravery began to assert itself, Kagato's will squelched the vacillating resolve.

His determination flailed her consciousness and tore at her soul. Ayeka tried to hold out against the pain once again. But with her body and mind already taxed nearly beyond her capacities, it was not long before she capitulated. And with her acquiescence came reprieve. He was laughing at her. Laughing at her pain, at her suffering. And all she could think of was how much she hated him, this man before her. With all her heart and soul she hated him for he was now…

… … …Her master.

Washu was animated and excited. This wedding was going to be one for the history books. Arm in arm Misaki and Washu marched down the hall their voices booming in joyous pageantry. In their wake a gaggle of fluttering attendants and servants raced to and fro. They blithely carried on, their stride confident and sweeping as they chased after the perfect details from within the palace walls. The wedding was going to also be a re-dedication ceremony. Misaki would reiterate her vows with a few subtle changes.

Misaki could barely contain her enthusiasm. Not only was Washu finally going to get married but also Misaki herself would re-pledge her vows. The ceremony would be a celebration of Washu's love and Misaki's devotion. Misaki felt a momentary pang of anguish as the thought of losing her husband's love flashed through her mind. Shrugging off the pain, Misaki accepted that his heart was never hers to begin with; she could learn to love her new role.

But like all hopes and wishes her schoolgirl fantasies were hard to relinquish. And when she had a moment by herself, Misaki would shed her only and last tears over the matter. Sadness and regret were not emotions to be dealt with on a day such as today; rather they were for her to calmly and quietly ponder then discard.

Feeling Washu grip tighten, Misaki turned to regard her soon-to-be sister-wife and smiled. Nodding her head and allowing her joy to shine through Misaki silently reassured Washu. There was too much to do for sad thoughts that would do nothing but bring heartache and strife. Returning the smile Washu patted Misaki's hand. Then as if nothing had happened the pair continued on.

From within the solemn corridors of the Holy Temple, the Emperor waited patiently for his turn to pay respects to the high priest. From across the corridor the Emperor sat, trying desperately not to fidget as he waited along side a carpenter. The man to the Emperor's left was a proud father and rejoiced in showing pictures of his darling daughters and miraculous son to the Emperor.

When the man began waxing poetic about the glory and beauty of his wife the Emperor stared intently at the chamber door. Finally after receiving a staggeringly substantial list of virtues about practically the carpenter's entire family the chamber door opened on creaking hinges. With a sigh of gratitude and a kindly nod to the enthusiastic father, the Emperor was off to speak with his second greatest council and closest friend.

Gaotuza wasn't expecting to have his door practically flung open by his long time friend. But never the less it was. Stepping aside Gaotuza deftly avoided the door and quickly backpedaled into his chamber as his lifelong friend pushed him backwards. Once inside Masatoshi sat down, Gaotuza smiled. And like always the rant began.

"Why for all the gods in the cosmos must I sit outside with the rest of the planet? It is not that disapprove of them or their stations in life, but I do so tire of listening to their ramblings. I am the Emperor for heaven's sakes! I should at least get some privacy when I am seeking spiritual counsel. You will not allow me my guards so instead; I must sit and listen to, every random person that seeks your counsel, mental swill. And today's candidate was a man that I swear to you, by my ancestors' honor, must have been related to nearly everyone on this planet!"

Gaotuza meandered throughout the spacious office while his friend ranted on and on. He made tea, taking simple pleasure in the meditative nature of the ritual of tea making. Still listening to his friend Gaotuza answered the door, knowing that his lunch would be waiting for him. And as he expected, at the other side of the door was a young girl, one of the temple maidens, struggling to grip a tray laden down with food. He easily took the tray from her and thanked the poor girl whose ears were suffused with color from hearing the vibrant words the emperor was using.

The girl quickly shuffled away and closed the door behind her. Gaotuza hefted the heavy tray over to the table to his left. It had previously been a dining table but had been donated to the temple by a grateful family. Careful not to scratch the polished wooden surface Gaotuza set up the table. Shaking his head Gaotuza sometimes had to laugh. Masatoshi ranted about the strangest things. Then a slight frown turned his usually smiling face to one of concentration.

If Masatoshi was ranting about trivial matters then something important must have happened. Sighing Gaotuza knew he wasn't going to get Masatoshi to admit what the real problem was until the man was ready. Settling down Gaotuza began quietly eating his lunch. Contemplating his friend's ranting, Gaotuza ruled out that his friend's problems were related to the upcoming marriage. No, for his friend to be this distress it must be related to matters of the crown or succession.

"I think the consulate is plotting to usurp Ryoko," was the abrupt revelation that answered Gaotuza's suspicions. "The high council has been convening secretly for the past few months. Kagato is up to something. I can feel it. He has a plan and he's going to move forward with it. I have been sensing the momentum gaining support throughout the consulate for the last few weeks. There is still a strong resistance but I fear that with the marriage to the Queen of Boishico, Kagato's plan will gain an even stronger foothold."

Gaotuza was silent for a moment. The concerns were valid. He himself had noticed the quiet machinations of the consulates most elite and planted a mole working from within the high council. The information his agent sent back to him wasn't pleasant or promising. There was most definitely going to be a grab for the throne, with the possibility of an assassination attempt, possibly two. Gaotuza could name all members involved but without concrete evidence it would be a matter of his agent's word against the rest of the supreme council.

"Lord, I do not even want to ponder what Washu will do when I finally tell her my suspicions. But I don't know how to shield Ryoko anymore. The high council is starting to close in ranks. I feel as if Kagato is going to strike soon. I just do not have a clue how. I am worried Gaotuza. The empire cannot face such a divided government." Masatoshi buried his face in his hands. At the back of his thoughts were his fears for his family. Especially Ryoko. She was too obvious a target to avoid or ignore.

Gaotuza rose easily from his chair and crossed the room to his friend's side. "Masatoshi… as both your spiritual leader and as your friend I can only tell you to enjoy the moment. Enjoy these approaching hours. Revel in their happiness. Keep your family close to you, for the worries that you have are valid and reasonable. But, there is little if anything at all you can do. The consulate has been very thorough with their plotting. You will not be able to verify your suspicions and if you accuse anyone without reasonable proof, you will only further their cause."

"Keep a firm lid on Ryoko's temper and her fierce nature. If she becomes too aggressive or falls out of step, it will only further their cause. Your actions are of little consequence to the outcome of this subterfuge. However Ryoko's actions speak volumes as to the favor or disfavor of the consulate that is still either undecided or unquestioned. She must be at least reasonably contained." Gaotuza patted his friend on the back when Masatoshi stared up at him with a look of perplexed fear on his face.

"She is the future of the monarchy and as such will dictate the choices of the remaining consulate members. She must be reigned in. If not you run the risk of alienating possible supporters. The Princess Ayeka is a delicate blossom that would make any empire proud to have her regal beauty as its scion. She is young, talented, diplomatic, and resourceful. She could easily out wit the entire chancellery. She is by all rights a true queen in the making." Gaotuza watched as Masatoshi's shoulders fell even further.

"There are many things that the Princess Ayeka will forever be that Ryoko shall never effect…" Masatoshi's shoulders dropped a little more, "the Princess will always play the role of someone's queen, a gracious and splendid compliment to her king. Where as Ryoko will only play the role of Empress, a confident and competent ruler in her own right. If nothing else Ryoko will bow to no one. That is both her greatest asset and her greatest flaw. And any man that can say that he helped raise such a proud and noble woman has no reason to hang his head." Gaotuza patted his friend on the back.

"But it is her very spirit that will get her killed," Masatoshi whispered. "I cannot lose my little girl. Luck and providence saved her from her curiosity, but neither can save her from her pride. And I am afraid..." Masatoshi's voice grew fainter with each word… until with lips barely forming words and breath hardly leaving his lungs he spoke his fear, "she will die and there will be nothing I can do to save her."

Gaotuza watched has his dearest friend quietly cried. "A father should never live to see the day where his child is sent off to the next realm. Nor should such a moment ever cross a parent's mind. But each night I feel the approaching of a veil of darkness. And before I finally rest I hear her voice, her darling sweet voice when she was only a child of 10, ringing in my ears. That sweet young voice asking me to hold her close and love her. How am I to do that if I cannot protect her against her enemies? No… not her enemies, but my enemies; enemies that I have made and forged with my own arrogance. Enemies that will destroy her, simply to destroy me."

"My hands are bound by my station and by convention!" Masatoshi's voice rose as the rancorous anger broiled within him like hot magma through his veins. He was Emperor and all he could do was sit idly by and watch his eldest, his precious Kitten walk blithely towards her destruction. He would have none of it. His daughter came by her pride and her arrogance naturally. If his calculated blunder would save her life then he would gladly make that sacrifice.

Mind made up, Masatoshi began to rise from his seat. Gaotuza immediately recognized the determined spark in his friend's eyes. Placing both hands firmly on his friend's shoulders Gaotuza forced his friend back down into his seat. "You can be a moronic imbecile sometimes dear friend. Noble, caring and chivalrous but still desperately moronic, if you should sacrifice yourself what is to stop your opponents from still harming Ryoko? What is to stop them from harming Sasami, Washu and Misaki? What will become of your family without you there? The holy order can only go so far, we are bound by our own conventions, and I alone cannot save your family from all harm."

Masatoshi glared at his friend, if neither he nor the holy order could do anything to stop the rivals from within the consulate, then what was to be done? Fiercely clenching the armrest of the chair, Masatoshi scowled silently. Nothing could be done until it was too late. Feeling vexed at all sides the Emperor tried to remember his station.

"It would do you well, my friend to try and calm yourself. Such hostilities will not bare well with your new bride and may alter the mood of your encroaching nuptials." Gaotuza smiled gently at his friend. Walking briskly to the bell pull Gaotuza summoned the lower priests to his chambers. The requisite plea of acceptance from the crown required witnesses. Moments later the door was opened on a sigh of creaking hinges. Swiftly sweeping into the room, twelve silent and reticent men in flowing robes of deep jewel tones quickly made their way to stand behind Gaotuza.

A brief smile twinkled through the scowl as the Emperor recalled his original reason for visiting his friend. The wedding. The double ceremony in honor two beautiful women. The first consecrating his love for Washu and the second a re-affirmation of his eternal friendship and devotion to Misaki. Nothing would stop this ceremony. He would have this moment, this marriage, this union of life and hearts with Washu. He would have this public affirmation of his devotion and adoration to his love. He would have this and more, just as soon as he mustered up the courage to plead for his friend to perform the ceremony.

A simple ceremony as deemed by the oldest religion of the empire, it still required the consecration and acceptance of the Holy Order of the Veiled Goddess to make it legitimate. So here he sat Masatoshi High Emperor of the United Caladanian Empire, fidgeting nervously before his closest and oldest friend Gaotuza High Holy Priest of the Holy Order of the Veiled Goddess, as well as, twelve other high priests. His friend the emissary for Caladan to the Juraian Empire and the only non-native born Juraian to obtain the sacred title of Knight of Tsunami; this man was whom Masatoshi hoped would perform this very special ceremony.

And not just any twelve priests but the twelve high priests of The Sacred Holy Order. The spiritual and religious leaders of his entire empire, stood calmly before him. One priest for each Goddess of Virtue within the pantheon with his dear friend Gaotuza standing as the physical manifestation of the Veiled Goddess, it was slightly unnerving to sitting before the very same men that formed the foundation for his religious belief.

Masatoshi rose from his chair and inhaled deeply. Formality and protocol consumed his thoughts as he bowed deeply to his friend and the gathered quorum, adhering to tradition and accepting his station as beneath the judgment of the order. "Greetings to you of the High Holy Chancelleries of Virtues. It is with my deepest hopes that you Ashikiro Gaotuza would perform the ceremony "The Rites of Rings". I bow before you humbly as the ruler of this Empire and yield to your spiritual knowledge to guide not just myself, but my empire as well." Masatoshi remained bent in supplication, awaiting his friend's reply.

"Arise my lord as it is not your station to humble yourself before The Order. The honor to perform the ceremony you request is all mine and I take great joy in accepting such a privilege. Allow me to be the first within The Order to extend my acceptance and approval of the unions you will forge." Gaotuza suppressed a chuckle; as such formality seemed ridiculous between friends.

Masatoshi rose from his bent position to accept blessings of his friend. Gaotuza for his part walked over to his friend and presented him with a token of acceptance, as is the custom. Struggling to keep his smile in check, Masatoshi accepted the gift graciously. Then the pair of friends turned to the remaining priests. One by one each gave his honest approval for the union and bestowed a gift. With the acceptance over with all twelve priests filed out of the room once again leaving the two friends on their own.

As the door finally closed behind the final priest the stoic pair burst into laughter. Formality was definitely not something to be taken seriously between the friends. Finally with the laughter quietly whispering echoes within the vaulted ceilings of the chamber, Masatoshi and Gaotuza settled back to enjoying their lunch. A comfortable and calming conversation about old times and the latest Misaki mishap quickly took over. And for the next few moments the Emperor forgot his crown, forgot his problems and returned to a simpler time with his best friend.

Kagato saw the burning hatred in the Princess's eyes. How exquisitely delightful, he thought to himself. How utterly, monstrously, delectably ambrosial this development is. His little princess hated him. How darling. Kagato chuckled; her hatred of him would only serve him all the better. That hatred would facilitate her entry into the family fold. Ryoko would accept anyone that shared the same hatred in a common enemy. Yes, the Princess Ayeka was going to make the perfect victim-come-traitor. And to make matters all the better… he would be able to enjoy her guilt and angst over her actions.

Lowering his hand to twine a tight fist in her hair, Kagato easily lifted the Princess to her feet. There was much to be done and even more to be prepared for. The consulate would not be notified as to this new development. The next stage of the plan was to place a wedge between the Juraian whelp and MY Ryoko. Kagato glowered down at Princess Ayeka and assessed her more…ahem… physical attributes.

Yes, it was rather pleasing how everything was simply falling into place. "Scheming to usurp the throne was always such a tiring affair. Let us depart for less," Kagato looked around the room "acheronian surroundings. Come, come now Princess… there is much to be done and you have a new beau to acquire." Kagato supinely strolled from the room lackadaisically dragging Ayeka behind.