Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Bound Through Space ❯ Meeting her Parents ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9

Meeting Her Parents

Ryoko turned to look at Tenchi as he smiled down at Sasami. She still looked so much like a child. She herself would not have been able to tell that Sasami was a day over the age of 14. Despite everything Sasami remained perennially youthful. Shaking her head Ryoko turned to the door as her parents entered the room. Squeezing Tenchi's hand reassuringly Ryoko questioningly whispered in his ear, if he was nervous.

Was HE nervous? Was HE NERVOUS?!? Shaking his head and trying to look calm Tenchi's thoughts raced. `Nervous?!? Hell yes I'm nervous!! Terrified is more like it! Okay, be calm, be cool, just be yourself. I mean they're just her parents right? Right. Oh kami I'm gonna die.'

Ryoko looked at Tenchi and almost laughed, he looked like he had just swallowed a frog. Poor guy. But then it wasn't everyday you met your hopeful betrothed's parents. And so standing there, holding their collective breaths Ryoko and Tenchi waited as they watched the doors once again opened and granted access to her parents.

The first to assail them was Misaki, barreling down the room with an almost fanatic zeal as she squealed happily. Once the pair was within striking distance Misaki assaulted them with a hug forceful enough to bend steel. And as the pair kicked and gasped for release and air, Ryoko's remaining parents slowly approached. The Emperor stifled a laugh and barely managed to conceal his smile. While Washu gave up when Masaki turned her attentions to Sasami as well and began making kissy-kissy sounds at the poor girl.

From behind Misaki's back, Washu burst into great peals of laughter. The poor strangling couple was starting to turn blue and Sasami was a deep red from embarrassment. Misaki for her part continued to squeeze the life from Ryoko and Tenchi while refusing to leave Sasami out of the embarrassment kept making kissy sounds at the poor girl, reveling in the look of embarrassed disgust on her daughter's face.

Finally with tears of joyful mirth in her eyes Washu began the arduous task of peeling Misaki's arms from around the near comatose pair. Finally, with the Emperor and an additional three guards, Misaki chose to relinquish her desperate hold on the pair. And when she let go the pair slumped to the floor gasping for air as their faces slowly returned to their natural hue.

After a good twenty minutes spent with the pair gasping for breath and the rest of the room's occupants trying to keep Misaki at bay, the situation regained a bit more formality. The Emperor looked down at his daughter, smiling softly as her. It seemed so long ago now, that time when she was just a child. And looking down into her eyes he could still see his little Ryoko, the thought bringing a tear of regret and loss to his eyes. He couldn't recall getting older, when had she?

But still she had grown older and now before him sat his eldest child, preparing to ask him for his permission to wed. And with pride and a hint of fear of losing his baby girl he would grant her his consent. The only other hurdle would be Washu's consent; since it was obvious from the still constrained Misaki the pair had gained her acceptance.

Finally able to speak without gasping Tenchi stood. Looking the Emperor in the eyes Tenchi turned to the man that would hopefully become his future father in-law and tried as eloquently as possible to ask for Ryoko's hand in marriage. "Your Highness," Tenchi began as he bowed low in a sign of respect, "I stand before you today in order to ask for your consent to my marriage to your daughter, the First Princess Ryoko. I have little in the way of worldly possessions but all that I have to give are yours if you grant me the honor, privilege and rare treasure of the greatest gift in the hand of your daughter." Tenchi hoped he didn't sound as hokey as he feared he did.

Washu chortled for a minute; she had to give the boy credit for trying to be as formal and as regal as possible. Which after having been strangled within an inch of his life by the dreaded Misaki, it was rather impressive he could even form words distinctly within the same hour. Lifting a graceful eyebrow Washu allowed her thoughts to wander, Misaki had been single-handedly responsible for the bulk of the courtiers being sent to the court medical facilities. There was a reason there was one just adjacent to the throne room. Misaki's exuberance after receiving good news or bad was infamous throughout the universe. She had once sent three emissaries to the med.-fac. After she had received news of Ryoko and Ibara's impending romance, so happy she had been with Ryoko finally settling down.

Shaking her head Washu waited as the Emperor pretended to ponder the question. She watched as Tenchi seemed to come unglued at the seams and Ryoko slowly began to fume with rage. Sasami was silently chuckling, until Ryoko turned rage-filled eyes to her, which silenced the startled princess with its sheer ferocity.

Ryo-ohki popped into existence, hopping happily into the room and making her way unnoticed due to the drama unfolding before her. When at last she reached the center of the action, she turned and looked up at Sasami and mewled prettily. Sasami reached down and picked up the darling creature. Tenchi having never seen anything remotely resembling Ryo-ohki turned away from the Emperor and began to pet her. Ryo-ohki allowed him to pet her and then purred contentedly. Sasami laughed, Ryoko smiled softly and Tenchi felt awed by the tiny creature that seemed to be the embodiment of all cuteness.

And then all hell broke loose…

With this precious tender moment before her, Misaki's restraint shattered. Misaki bum-rushed the guards sending the three guards crashing into the Emperor in a confused huddle. Then, floating through the short distance that separated her from all before her, Misaki clutched the trio of young adults to her squashing poor Ryo-ohki between the crush of bodies. Realizing that Misaki was going to blitz the trio Washu stepped off to the side gracefully avoiding the indecorous pile.

And from her position to the side Washu could only howl with laughter as she watched the emperor and the guards stumbled and cursed from within a mass of tangled robes and uniforms. When at last the world righted itself and the emperor and the guards were finally standing properly, they could not help but laugh at the struggling trio before them. And the slowly filtering in courtiers could not contain their laughter at the priceless expressions on the poor trapped souls.

Tenchi looked like he was about to explode due to lack of oxygen, while Sasami seemed to be looking for something, Ryoko looked as if she would burst into flames and darling Misaki's face was contorted by happiness and zeal into a caricature of joy. The hoots and howls of laughter rang clearly down the corridors of the castle and drew the attention for all to the room. And soon before anyone could react the photographers were recording the event for posterity, under the careful yet chuckling guidance of Washu. These were the moments that made a family a true family after all.

As the clutched trio began to gasp and squirm for air beneath the python-esque crush of Misaki's grasp Ryo-ohki finally managed to wriggle free of the crunching press and flopped down to the ground. At which point she immediately scurried away, and when Ryoko noticed her leaving and began screaming. "Get back her you little traitor! This is all your fault! If you hadn't hopped your cute little fuzzy butt in here she wouldn't be strangling us! Get back her and take your punishment along with the rest of us!" Ryoko's screaming was deafening Tenchi and her frantic movements were causing him a great deal of distress.

Sasami managed to escape Misaki's unyielding squeezing courtesy of Ryoko's fierce clawing for freedom. And with her fiercely won freedom Sasami decided to make like Ryo-ohki and get while the getting was good. So there the couple remained trapped by Misaki's unyielding grasp and struggling for freedom as slowly the consulate entered the room to watch the spectacle Washu sensed Ryoko's demeanor change.

The moment Kagato stepped back into the room and his eyes settled on the flailing Ryoko, did she instantly become rigid with dread. She could feel his icy hands wrapped around her instead of Misaki's loving, if not crushing embrace. She could feel his disgusting body pressed against hers instead of the man that she was going to marry. Every single touch or sensation transformed hideously into his repulsive caress.

And the entire royal family felt her change. For them it was a dynamic wave of disgust and fear. Sasami stopped before reaching the crowd gathered in front of the doors and raced back towards her sister. While Washu and the Emperor raced to Ryoko's side, Misaki's arms released Tenchi and gathered Ryoko all the more fiercely as her daughter's head slumped weakly to her shoulder.

Ryo-ohki having made her escape stopped in her tracks directly before Kagato. Teeth bared and hair standing on end the little cabbit projected a fierce aura. She swiftly attacked, teeth sinking into clothing. Clinging tenaciously Ryo-ohki refused to be removed until his attack on Ryoko ended.

Ryoko could only shiver under his cold stare. He wanted her. She could more than just feel it. She could smell it and see it. Rattling her to the very core of her being, with the force of his thoughts and desires slamming against her consciousness with all the strength of a surging hurricane. She felt inundated by his will… for a moment lost within the swell.

Then with the power of a moon colliding with a planet Ryoko felt a presence turn Kagato's thoughts away. Weakly Ryoko lifted her head to see what had changed. And there before her, stood Tenchi, glaring hatefully at Kagato. She could no longer even remotely sense the enraged man, but she could see is faintly visible trails of his essence slamming into the invisible force of Tenchi's will.

It was like watching a dragon attacking an impenetrable fortress, the stronger the surge from Kagato, the greater the resistance from Tenchi. Until at last, the Consulate member retreated. This first skirmish was not to be forgotten by either man. With a muttered growl the man ended his assault, and shook the determined Ryo-ohki from his arm.

The room had gone silent; none but those gifted with the sight of essence had seen what had occurred in the room. And with Kagato gone Tenchi turned the full force of his will to Ryoko and suffused her with his presence. What had before been a bond was now more. How much more even he was not sure, but now they were more.

Washu's doubts and concerns about Tenchi vanished in the face of his actions. Kagato would have to be monitored more closely. His actions towards Ryoko had been more than a foolish power play. There had been more then simple malicious intent. He had plans and this little exercise with Tenchi had been simply the first step. Something in his eyes had told her that there was more to come, that this little power struggle had been completely intentional.

Then as Tenchi's eyes settled on Ryoko and Washu watched the pair, and she understood more about Kagato than she ever wanted to… He was in love with Ryoko. Dread, abject, horrifying, desperate dread chilled Washu's heart. Kagato loved Ryoko… and may the heavens help them, he intended to have her for his own.

Worry forced Washu to clutch at Ryoko tighter than Misaki could ever hope. Washu wanted to kick everyone from the room, but now that the trio of parents had given consent to the marriage, the people had to be notified. An anguished cold chill shook Washu as she thought of Kagato's reaction to Ryoko's marriage.

Sasami ignored it all; she ignored what she had felt from Kagato… ignored everything she felt coming from everyone around her. Everyone except Ryoko… Ryoko needed her, needed her family around her. Wrapping her arms around her sister's waist Sasami opened her heart and tried to console the shivering woman that still seemed infinitely strong.

Misaki was clueless. She could not fathom what could cause such a powerful and instant change in Ryoko, but whatever it was she fully intended to shield her darling daughter with her own life. She had never doubted her instincts and with the fierce instincts of a mother protecting her young, Misaki grasped Ryoko and shielded her as best she could. And when at last the young woman in her arms that still seemed so much a little girl to her, slumped into her arms. All the fear and concern broke through her control and silent tears slipped from her eyes and she whispered words of love and tenderness to the shivering girl in her arms.

The Emperor had always known that Kagato had designs on the throne. And had known that Kagato was somehow involved with whatever had happened to Ryoko the day she disappeared into the forests. It had been impossible to prove and therefore impossible to take corrective action against. But still the obvious emotional scars were there, and the Emperor would eternally hold himself at fault for the incident.

But what he had just witnessed with even his limited sight of essence had been terrifying. The creature that had attacked his daughter was no mere Consulate member. No, that man hid more power than anyone suspected. The emperor had been compelled to aid Tenchi with what little ability he could, adding his essence to the young man's will.

And as his hand had touched the young prince's shoulder the emperor was lost to a time and a world he did not recognize. There he watched where Ryoko stood in the midst of a vorpal whirlwind, a maelstrom of calamity and unbridled power. She was the source and the end of the torrent. For a moment he felt fear, turning his eyes away from her fantastic power, he felt suddenly humble before his own daughter. And with a voice that seemed to be everywhere and yet nowhere at once, she spoke to him. I am still your little Ryoko father… I will always be that little girl. Just know that I am also so much more than that as well.

And just as suddenly as the image had arrived, the vision was gone. And the Emperor stood alone before his family guarding them from the surge of curious courtiers and media. Blinking rapidly the Emperor gave a quick but succinct speech explaining the couples union carried both the consulate's consent, and the consent of the parents. The Emperor watched as at last the assembled audience accepted his words and filtered out of the room. Quietly acquiescing to the wishes of the family to be left alone. There were better times than this for questions to be answered.

Emerging gracefully from her ship Ayeka silently congratulated herself for being prepared on time. She also congratulated her ship and crew for arriving a few days ahead of schedule. Now she would be able to slowly accustom herself to her new family. Looking ahead, Ayeka grimly noticed the receiving dignitaries. She hated dealing with council members. It never failed. No matter the planet or empire, council members were always slimy. The slimier, the council member it was generally safe to assume the better at politics and spin doctoring.

With a resigned sigh Ayeka plastered her patented, "I'm Royalty and I do not have to like you, but I will tolerate your presence for the moment" smile and approached the men before her. Not more than a few minutes had passed when; outside the palace Ayeka felt fear and terror clench her heart. Whatever was happening with the walls of the palace was causing someone great distress. Giving in to instinct and disregarding her normal regal decorum Ayeka walked at a pace that seemed more like a restrained run. Swiftly passing by the receiving dignitaries with a haste that bordered on scandalous, Ayeka raced to aid the pleading soul. Allowing her senses to guide her Ayeka easily found the location of the desperate emotions.

Turning down the last hall Ayeka neared the gathering masses standing outside the room. And when she managed to push passed the press of people blocking her from the room, Ayeka was nearly brought to her knees by the force of the emotional turmoil in the room. The sheer malevolent force of the frenzied desire driving nearly all rational thought from her mind. Then the terror struck her. Eyes clouded with pained tears, lifted to lock on the First Princess Ryoko.

Had someone screamed? Ayeka was uncertain if the sound had been only in her mind or from someone in the room. Bobbling unsteadily, the pain of all the clashing emotions and unrestrained anguish tearing at her soul. Weaving dizzy with pain, Ayeka clung tenaciously to consciousness, there had to be a way to save her? For a moment Ayeka wondered why she would wish to save a stranger, then other emotions filtered into her mind. One by one, the emotions of the family members surrounding Ryoko claimed her senses.

Eyes focusing on each member, Ayeka could not help but momentarily envy Ryoko's position… to be so loved and treasured. Then Kagato's will surged forward and Ayeka doubled over to the ground, the absolute intensity and ferocity of emotion overwhelming her. Lost in the inundation, Ayeka temporarily lost herself to his forcefulness. She was his pet, his to claim, his to use, his to own. Only his.

Ayeka tired desperately to fight the deluge of his will, but was completely suffused with it. Surrounded at all sides by his presence, she felt her own will dying. Kagato's will asserted itself as her only want or desire. Madness beckoned at the edges of her reason as she tried desperately to maintain herself against it all.

Then like a tender and gracious mercy he relented. Rising unsteadily to her feet and lifting eyes to look at the source of Kagato's anguish, Ayeka gasped loudly to see the man from her dream. There before Ryoko like a defending knight from every legend and myth Ayeka had been weaned on, was the man she had seen. His eyes blazing with a fierceness that momentarily stunned her, he seemed so much more dynamic than he had been in her dream.

Ayeka felt and saw the challenge that hung within the pregnant silence between the two men. Then abruptly Kagato turned and strode angrily from the room, a confident yet spiteful sneer curling his lips and contorting his face into a frightful mask. Ayeka shivered in fearful repulsion as she felt phantom remnants of the man's claim. It took all of her noble baring and finesse to not shrink away as he passed. However, she did hide within the anonymity of the gathered courtiers when his head turned momentarily in her direction.

With Kagato's departure from the room, Ayeka watched the family assembled before her. A momentary flash of jealousy stabbed her heart as she watched Tenchi's tenderness towards Ryoko. Then sensing that now was not the moment to present herself to the family, Ayeka quietly left with the crowd and slowly meandered her way around the palace. There would be time to discover her new family soon. For now, she had to sort her emotions. Her encounter with Kagato's will had left her feeling desperately vulnerable and shaken. The faint echoing call of his claim repeated like a mantra through her mind.

Tenchi raced to guard Ryoko against the tidal wave he saw before her. To his eyes it looked as if a dam had burst and flames like a wall of lava were surging towards Ryoko. He felt her fear as it left her paralyzed and defenseless against the onslaught. And as the first fiery fingers of the wave reached her, Tenchi felt a power from deep within himself burst forth, rising like an invisible wall before his love.

And the stronger the flames clashed against his will, the deeper he reached into himself and found the strength to repel. He left himself unshielded from the firestorm, and he felt every single want and desire of the man that was the origin. Not once did Tenchi's eyes waver from the man's face, his hatred and anger enough of a barrier from the inundating force of the man's will.

Tenchi felt the burning rage well in the pit of his stomach but refused to allow that emotion to relinquish his shield. He would not stop defending to attack, no matter how much he wanted to. And when at last the firestorm ended and there was nothing but an eerie silence left. Tenchi felt his reciprocating hatred and underneath it a hidden resentment and jealousy. Too angered to be shocked Tenchi waited until his rival left and his presence was no longer felt to comfort the woman he loved and the object of his rival's desires.

For her part Ryoko could only shiver. The man had wanted her. He had wanted to destroy her and consume her. She could still feel his desire like a poisonous barb, burrowing beneath her defenses and spreading its menace throughout her. Tear-filled eyes lifted to Tenchi's face as he stood silent sentinel between her and her tormentor. Tenchi would protect her. He would defend her. And even after Kagato's siege ended and the man removed himself from the room, she could still feel him.

Like a malicious whisper deep within her mind, Kagato's voice resonated with jealousy and spite. His words reminding her of his claim, he owned her, body, soul and mind. Ryoko flung her arms around Tenchi in a desperate need to force the voice from her head.

Tenchi immediately returned to himself, the threat of Kagato forgotten and Ryoko's tears becoming the single most important thing in his life. She was crying? But what for? As Tenchi lifted a gentle hand to tenderly brush away her tears his eyes searched her face. There, deep within the glorious gold of her eyes did he find his answers. With a protective growl, Tenchi wrapped Ryoko in his arms and kissed her forehead. Using every ounce of concentration, he focused his thoughts down to the insidious intrusion of Kagato's will. Then with the force of his own will he severed the tendril that psychically connected Kagato to Ryoko.

The fierce howl of agony that rose from the halls beyond the room, made Tenchi sneer. Then with eyes filled with tenderness, Tenchi searched Ryoko's eyes. Shining with love and the last of her tears Ryoko's eyes seemed to encompass his entire existence. "For as long as I breathe, I will protect you and love you." Tenchi softly pledged.

"And I you." Ryoko quietly replied.

The remaining family members watched happily as the loving couple pledged themselves to each other. The Emperor turned to look at Washu, soon he would marry her and he too could fulfill the same pledge he had made to her years ago.

Misaki sensing that the delicate moment was best left alone, silently stood and watched the loving couples, momentarily feeling lonely. It was Sasami's loving hug that saved her from shedding the tears that threatened to fall. Misaki had always known she was not her husband's true love. But could not bring herself to free him. She had loved him since she was a child. And when she had become his bride had fallen deeper in love with him.

It had taken several years to overcome her jealousy of Washu, but with the birth of Sasami all that had changed. Yes, Ryoko would always be her father's darling, but Sasami was just as precious and loved. Not just by the Emperor but by Washu as well. It had been Washu's easy and loving acceptance of Sasami that had vanquished the demons of Misaki's jealousy. In the end, she could not blame Washu, always forsaking her own wants and desires for the greater good of the empire had to be tiring.

But they were a family, and now with the addition of Tenchi maybe she would soon hear the wonderful sounds of children's laughter. Looking at Ryoko and Tenchi, Misaki could only beam with pride. Tenchi loved Ryoko and he would care for her, allowing Ryoko to show her softer side. Nodding her approval, Misaki mentally agreed that Tenchi was just what Ryoko needed. Turning to look at her husband and his concubine, Misaki's smile grew. Soon, Washu would be her sister wife. Soon, Washu would be able to take her place beside the family rather than behind it.

Misaki smile softened, her family wasn't how she had imagined it to be when she had been a dreamy eyed teen. She accepted that she would never be her husband's true love. And in all honesty she had known from the very beginning that she would always be second in his heart. But she had never been one for grand dreams and desperate schemes. Instead she contented herself with the knowledge that she was loved, if not the way she wanted, then at least by more people than she had ever hoped.

At Sasami's gentle squeeze Misaki's attention returned to the world around her. Before her, her darling husband and his apprehensive soon-to-be second wife were gazing at her questioningly. Were they asking for her consent? How utterly silly, worrying about her reaction? She had known they would someday get married. When she had been younger this matter would have received an emphatic no. But time, life, experience and love had all shaped Misaki into a lovingly accepting woman. And she could not begrudge this couple their moment of sacred union, any more than she could blame Ryoko her love for Tenchi.

With a loving smile and a tear for the death of her last dream, she stepped away from Sasami and gently hugged the worried couple. Turning her adoring gaze to her husband Misaki spoke, "My darling husband, it has never been a secret to me where your heart truly lay. I am happy that I have the honor of sharing your life and family, but I could not in all faith ask you to forsake your own happiness once again for my own." Then she lifted to the tips of her toes and kissed his cheek.

Turning away from her husband to look Washu in the eye, Misaki floundered for a moment, struggling for the right words. "Washu… I… I would be most honored to be your sister-wife. I realize I did not always feel so. I will admit to you that when I was younger I suffered from a frantic jealousy of you. You held the one object that I had been weaned on to believe was rightfully mine. It is with the wisdom of maturity that I realize that his heart is not an object to conquer, but instead a gift. We are a family now. The picture has been incomplete without you standing beside us."

The tears that had been threatening in Washu's eyes tumbled with Misaki's acceptance. It had been more than she had hoped for. Misaki's gentle understanding and caring words were beyond her grandest hopes. Wrapping her arms around her sister, for that was what Misaki was, the twin of her heart and soul.

The Emperor watched his eyes beaming with pride and joy. With the addition of Washu as his second wife, his family would be complete. The picture no longer lacking her presence as it was not her station to stand amongst royalty. Washu, his greatest love and most trusted confidant. Misaki, his closest friend and darling loving wife; with the pair at his side how could he complain, few men ever experience the wealth of loving fortune he held with both women.

Ryoko, Tenchi and Sasami slowly and quietly tip-toed around the trio. There were things far more adventurous than standing around watching their parents bask in their loving contentment. The only barrier between them and a complete escape was the door. To open it was to inform the trio of their escape attempt. Ryoko grabbed Tenchi and Sasami's hand, took a deep breath and held it. Then stepped through the door dragging Tenchi and Sasami with her.

The trio entered the hall with Ryoko leading the way. There was so much to show him, so many things that she needed for him to understand and see. As the trio raced down the hall, they were stopped by Ryo-ohki's mewling cries. "Oh all right fuzz butt, you can tag along, but only cause you're just so damn cute." Ryoko said just before she phased over to the door and picked up the adorable pile of fluff. Returning to her sister and Tenchi, Ryoko handed Ryo-ohki to Sasami and again grabbed both by the hand.

Too much to do and not enough time to do it in. Hey who knows, maybe they could just become space pirates like she and Sasami had pretended to be all those years ago…. …

The infamous Space Pirate Ryoko? Somehow it had a pleasant ring to it…