The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ A Legend Forgotten ❯ Voice of an Angel ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Disclaimer: The Twelve Kingdom Characters belong solely to Fuyumi Ono, but Mariette and the other unknown characters I am writing about belong to me. If this disclaimer is wrong, then please do not sue me.)
 
Chapter 5: Voice of an Angel
 
Mariette, Wuya, and Toshi walked through the streets of Kei side by side. Toshi gave out a sigh and said, “I still can't believe we actually got to meet a ruler.” Wuya and Mariette nodded in agreement.
 
 
“I can't believe it either, but I never expected the king of En to be so carefree,” said Wuya as she remembered Shouryou's face. Mariette gave out a giggle and added, “He was really nice too.”
 
 
Mariette remembered Shouryou's kind smile and blushed. Toshi and Wuya noticed the blush right away and glared at Mariette.
 
 
“What are you thinking about?” they asked in unison. Mariette shook away her blush and said, “I just remembered his majesty's smile.” Toshi and Wuya's eyebrows furrowed.
 
 
Their stomachs suddenly growled causing them all to blush.
 
 
“I guess it's dinner time,” said Toshi, while holding his stomach. Wuya and Mariette nodded in agreement.
 
 
They ran to a crowded part of the village and pulled out a discarded wooden box. Wuya placed the box firmly on the ground with the open-end face down, while Toshi helped Mariette get on top of it. Mariette stood firm on the box and looked across the crowd. She looked at her friends for reassurance and then took a deep breath.
 
 
Mariette began to sing with a voice that captivated the crowd around her. The song was originally from her village and it meant good fortune. As she sang the crowd grew even bigger around her.
 
 
Wuya and Toshi pulled out two metal cans from their pockets and held it to the crowd as Mariette sang.
 
 
“Please donate money to the girl with the voice of an angel.”
 
 
“The show isn't for free.”
 
 
The crowd began to give one silver coin each to Wuya and Toshi and then left with smiles on their faces.
 
 
When Mariette had finished her song, she leapt off the box and looked at Toshi and Wuya eagerly.
 
 
“How much did we make?” asked Mariette excitedly. Wuya counted the money in her can and Toshi's and gave out a sigh.
 
 
“Only twenty silver coins,” said Wuya disappointedly. Toshi gave a pout and said, “People can be so stingy.” Wuya and Mariette nodded in agreement.
 
 
Mariette then smiled and said, “At least we can get some food with this money.” Wuya and Toshi nodded and began to walk ahead of Mariette looking for a cheap food stand.
 
 
Yoko watched Mariette search with her friends and smiled.
 
 
“Mariette really has a beautiful voice,” said Yoko.
 
 
“We Gods call that the voice of an angel.”
 
 
Yoko gave a small nod wondering what would happen next.
 
 
(I know that this chapter was short. I meant to make it longer, but when I was writing it, I realized that the next part was completely different and made it a new chapter. The next chapter will have Enki and the king of En, so watch out. And please review, so I know what you guys want.)