The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ A Legend Forgotten ❯ Hotel ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Disclaimer: The Twelve Kingdom Characters belong solely to Fuyumi Ono, but Mariette and the other unknown characters I am writing about belong to me. If this disclaimer is wrong, then please do not sue me. There is one inappropriate part in this chapter, but nothing extreme happens.)
 
Chapter 6: Hotel
 
Mariette, Wuya, and Toshi ended up buying three small meat buns. They ate and walked at the same time as they made their way to the empty alleyway, where they lived.
 
 
Mariette bit out of her meat bun and looked at her two friends.
 
 
“If we get a ruler, will we be able to eat better?” asked Mariette. Wuya gave a shrug and said, “That depends on the ruler.” Toshi nodded in agreement and added, “That's right. Some rulers are just plain jerks and would keep the money all to themselves.”
 
 
“I hope our new ruler won't be like that,” said Mariette in concern. Wuya and Toshi nodded. Mariette suddenly remembered Shouryou and Enki and said, “I wonder why his majesty and En-Chan are here.”
 
 
“Probably to try and convince the kingdom's Kirin to choose a ruler already,” said Wuya in a bored tone. Toshi nodded, but then flinched. He looked at Mariette confusingly and asked, “Did you just refer to the Kirin of En as En-Chan?”
 
 
Mariette nodded and stated, “It sounds cuter.” Wuya and Toshi had a vision of Enki with burning red eyes and shuddered.
 
 
He is definitely not suited for a cute name.
 
 
When they arrived at the alleyway, night had already fallen. Wuya and Toshi each grabbed a soft object from the alleyway and laid themselves down. Wuya gave out a yawn and was about to fall asleep like her brother, but then noticed Mariette walking away.
 
 
Wuya sat up and asked, “Where do you think you're going?” Mariette stopped in her tracks and looked back at Wuya.
 
 
“I was just going to the roof,” said Mariette. Wuya gave out a sigh.
 
 
“You know, singing at night isn't going to make us richer,” said Wuya. Mariette showed a warm smile and stated, “But my singing makes the people in the kingdom happy.” Wuya shook her head as she plopped herself down.
 
 
“Do what you want, Mariette,” said Wuya with a yawn.
 
 
Mariette nodded at her sleepy friend and ran off.
 
 
Mariette found a wooden ladder against the wall of one of the buildings and climbed up to the roof. When she was all the way to the top, she stared up at the full moon and began to sing her heart out. Her voice radiated through out the kingdom sending warmth to the people who heard it.
 
 
Her angelic voice also reached the ears of a certain blonde haired Kirin walking through the night. Enki stopped in his tracks to listen to the beautiful voice. He found himself smiling and decided to search for the source of the voice.
 
 
Enki finally found his goal, when he jumped on a roof and saw Mariette singing to the moon. Enki snuck up behind her as she sang. When he reached her, he poked her shoulder causing Mariette to abruptly stop singing. Mariette gasped in surprise causing her ears and tail to pop out surprising Enki.
 
 
Mariette spun around and gave out another gasp when she saw Enki. Enki stared at her in disbelief and said, “You're that half-beast I met today.” Mariette gave a nod and said, “And you're En-Chan.” Enki's eyebrows furrowed at Mariette.
 
 
“Don't call me En-Chan,” said Enki angrily.
 
 
“But it's cuter than Enki,” said Mariette as she looked at Enki. Enki shook his head and then looked at Mariette seriously.
 
 
“You were the one singing through the night, right?” asked Enki. Mariette nodded and said, “I do this every night.” Enki stared at Mariette making Mariette confused.
 
 
“Is something wrong?” asked Mariette.
 
 
“I heard that in the kingdom of Kei that an angelic voice that radiated through the night appeared two months ago and that if you heard it, you would be blessed with happiness, but never expected that the angelic voice would come from such a little brat. A half-beast no less.”
 
 
Mariette hissed at him and said, “That's not a compliment.” Enki gave out a sigh and said, “Oh well.” He walked to Mariette and grabbed her wrist making her confused.
 
 
When he had her wrist, he immediately jumped from the rooftop causing Mariette to screech. Enki landed on the ground gracefully with Mariette, but Mariette was still shaking.
 
 
Enki looked at Mariette confusingly and asked, “Why are you shaking? I thought cats always landed on their feet, so they shouldn't be afraid.” Mariette glared at Enki and said, “But I'm only half.”
 
 
Enki shook his head and then noticed Mariette's ears twitching and her tail swaying. Enki pointed at her features and said, “You should tuck in your ears and tail.” Mariette felt her ears with her free hand and nodded. She tucked in her cat features and then looked at Enki confusingly.
 
 
“Why did you jump off the roof with me, En-Chan?” asked Mariette.
 
 
“Because it was much faster and I need to bring the one with the angelic voice to his majesty and don't call me En-Chan,” said Enki plainly.
 
 
Mariette blinked in confusion and asked, “His majesty wants to hear my voice?” Enki nodded and was about to pull her along, but Mariette pulled her hand away causing Enki to stare at her confusingly.
 
 
Mariette ran away from him forcing him to chase her.
 
 
“Where are you going?” demanded Enki. Mariette looked back at him and said, “I have to get Wuya and Toshi to come along with me or I refuse to sing.” Enki gave a low growl and said, “Fine.”
 
 
Mariette ran into the alleyway, where her two friends were sleeping. She jumped on Toshi and Wuya forcing them to awake.
 
 
“What's going on?” asked Toshi sleepily. Mariette forced Toshi and Wuya on their feet and said, with a smile, “We're going to his majesty tonight.” Wuya and Toshi snapped fully awake when they heard Mariette's words.
 
 
“What are you talking about?” asked Wuya in disbelief.
 
 
“Well, I sang on the roof like always and En-Chan appeared and told me that he wants me to sing to his majesty,” said Mariette excitedly.
 
 
Toshi blinked in confusion and asked, “Then why didn't he just get you? Why do we have to come?” Mariette smiled at them and said, “I couldn't go without my two best friends.” Wuya and Toshi stared at Mariette for a long while and then embraced her lovingly.
 
 
“That's our cute Mariette,” said Wuya as she hugged Mariette and petted her head. Toshi did the same.
 
 
“Can we go now?”
 
 
Mariette, Wuya, and Toshi looked toward the exit of the alleyway and saw Enki waiting for them impatiently. They all nodded and followed Enki.
 
 
After a long while of walking, they reached a beautiful hotel with lights all around it. Mariette and her two friends were amazed.
 
 
“It's so big.”
 
 
“How much money does this place have?”
 
“I want to go in.”
 
 
Enki glared at them and said, “Stop gawking at the building and follow me inside.” All three of them nodded and followed Enki inside.
 
 
When they were inside, it was full of servants moving around to each room. Mariette stared at the surroundings with her friends full of amazement. Enki saw how awestruck they were and whapped them on the head snapping them back to their senses.
 
 
“Pay attention brats,” said Enki angrily. Wuya glared at Enki with her hand against her head and said, “A Kirin shouldn't do that.” Enki stuck his tongue at her.
 
 
“Well I'm not a normal Kirin then,” mocked Enki. Wuya growled and said, “Mariette's nickname for you doesn't fit your personality.” Enki turned away from her.
 
 
“Just follow me,” said Enki annoyed. All three of them followed Enki through the halls. Mariette accidentally tripped and fell on her face causing Wuya and Toshi to look at her in concern.
 
 
“Are you all right, Mariette?”
 
 
Mariette nodded and began to get up, but stopped midway when she saw an extended hand in front of her. She looked at the source of the hand and saw an eighteen-year-old blonde haired boy in front of her. The blonde haired boy smiled down at her and asked, “Do you need help young lady?” Mariette nodded and took his hand. The boy helped her to her feet and then leaned toward her ear.
 
 
“Be careful,” he whispered. Mariette blinked in confusion and watched the boy walk away from her.
 
 
Who was that?
 
 
Wuya and Toshi pulled Mariette along behind Enki, when she was back on her feet. Wuya and Toshi glared in the direction the mysterious boy went wondering who he was and why he leaned toward “their” Mariette.
 
 
They soon reached a room with a gold engraving on the door. Toshi gave a pout as he stared at the gold engraving and said, “The owner of this hotel must have money to burn.” Wuya nodded in agreement, while Mariette was confused.
 
 
Enki looked back at them and said, “His majesty is behind this door.” Mariette and her friends nodded. Enki opened the door a crack and then shut the door quickly.
 
 
“Is something wrong, En-Chan?” asked Mariette. Enki glared back at her and said, “Don't call me En-Chan and wait here a minute.” Mariette nodded as Enki slipped into the room.
 
 
When Enki was in the room, Mariette looked back at her friends and noticed the disgust in their faces.
 
 
“Are you OK?” asked Mariette. Toshi turned pale and asked, “Did you hear a moan when the door opened?” Wuya nodded turning just as pale.
 
 
Mariette blinked in confusion.
 
 
“A moan?”
 
 
Yoko, who was still watching, had a look of disgust as well.
 
 
“That's definitely like the king of En,” said Yoko in disgust as she remembered Shouryou's womanizing tendencies.
 
 
Enki soon came out of the room and shut the door behind him. He looked at the three of them and said, “I just needed to tell the king something, but he'll see you after the woman gets out of the room.”
 
 
Wuya and Toshi cringed in disgust, while Mariette was still confused. Mariette cocked her head to the side and asked, “Was there another woman singing for him tonight?”
 
 
Enki, Wuya, and Toshi stared at Mariette. Wuya and Toshi hugged her and said, “Thank goodness for your innocent mind.” Mariette blinked in confusion.
 
 
“Don't you mean naïve?” asked Enki grumpily. Wuya and Toshi glared at him.
 
 
A woman in a white robe exited the room with a smile upon her lips and walked pass them. Mariette watched her walk off and said, “She's pretty.” Wuya and Toshi grabbed Mariette and pulled her into the room with Enki in the lead.
 
 
When they were in the room, they saw Shouryou sitting on his bed with his robe half open revealing his chest. Enki, Wuya, and Toshi had a look of disgust, while Mariette smiled at Shouryou.
 
 
Mariette bowed properly in front of Shouryou and said, “Nice to see you again, your majesty.” Shouryou smiled down at Mariette and said, “Nice to see you again, my little kitten.” Mariette sat up and nodded at Shouryou. Wuya and Toshi glared at Shouryou and screamed, “Don't call her little kitten!”
 
 
Enki whacked the back of Wuya and Toshi's head and screamed, “And don't you guys yell at him when he's the king.” Wuya and Toshi rubbed the back of the heads.
 
 
Shouryou closed up his robe and looked at Enki with a smile.
 
 
“So which one of these young children has the voice of an angel that I heard so much about?” asked Shouryou. Enki forced Mariette on her feet and said, “The half-beast.”
 
 
Mariette glanced at Enki and said, “Just call me Mariette, En-Chan.” Enki glared at her and said, “Call me Enki, not En-Chan.” Shouryou chuckled and said, “It looks like she really likes you, EN-CHAN.” Enki glared at Shouryou and then glared back at Mariette.
 
 
“Just sing, so you can leave,” said Enki. Mariette nodded and walked to the front of Shouryou. Wuya and Toshi sat on the floor next to Enki, who still remained standing, waiting for Mariette to sing.
 
 
Mariette smiled brightly and began to sing sending her angelic voice throughout the building. The people in the building stopped what they were doing to listen to Mariette's voice.
 
 
The boy from before, who was talking with a customer, also stopped his movements to listen to Mariette's voice. He smiled brightly with eyes closed wondering where the voice was coming from.
 
 
Mariette stopped singing and exhaled. She looked at Shouryou, who was staring at her with eyes. Mariette held her hands together and asked, “Did I do something wrong, your majesty?”
 
 
Shouryou shook his head and said, “I was just surprised that such an angelic voice came from such a young girl.” Mariette blushed and thanked Shouryou. Wuya and Toshi noticed this and sprung up. They grabbed hold of Mariette and began to drag her away from Shouryou.
 
 
“You sang, so we should get going,” said Wuya in an annoyed tone. Toshi nodded in agreement. Mariette nodded and allowed herself to be dragged.
 
 
They stopped in their tracks, when they heard Shouryou say, “It's late, so you guys can stay here for tonight.” Wuya, Toshi, and Mariette were silent for a long while. Mariette's cat ears and tail popped out when she exclaimed, “Really?” Shouryou nodded with a smile.
 
 
Enki suddenly stood in front of them and glared at Shouryou.
 
 
“Don't offer them to stay here!” screamed Enki. Shouryou smirked at Enki and said, “I just did and besides, they look tired.” Enki gave a low growl and marched to his own bed, which was in a corner. Enki lied down on it with an unsatisfied look.
 
 
Shouryou stood up from his bed and smiled down at Wuya, Toshi, and Mariette.
 
 
“The twins can sleep in that sofa and the little kitten can sleep in my bed,” said Shouryou. Wuya and Toshi immediately hugged Mariette protectively.
 
 
“No way! We don't know what else you have done on that bed!”
 
 
“You might do indecent things to Mariette old man!”
 
 
Mariette looked at her friends confusingly and asked, “He doesn't look that old and why can't I sleep in his bed.”
 
 
Enki looked at them from his bed and said, “He doesn't look like it, but he is over a hundred.” Mariette gasped in surprise and looked at Shouryou confusingly.
 
 
“But you look so young and good looking,” said Mariette. Shouryou chuckled and patted Mariette's head.
 
 
“You really are cute,” said Shouryou.
 
 
Wuya and Toshi glared at Shouryou.
 
 
You mean she's naïve?
 
 
Shouryou smiled and said, “Your friends seem to be against you sleeping in my bed, so you can sleep on the sofa with them.” Mariette nodded.
 
 
Mariette pulled away from her two friends and tucked in her ears and tail. She went to the sofa with her friends and wasn't at all surprised, when they fell asleep instantly. Mariette giggled and looked toward Shouryou.
 
 
“Good night, your majesty,” said Mariette. Shouryou wished her a good night and blew out the candle lighting the room. Mariette looked toward Enki wondering if he was already asleep. Mariette saw that his eyes were closed, but all she did was smile and say, “Good night, En-Chan.”
 
 
Mariette cuddled between Wuya and Toshi and fell asleep. Unknowing to her, Enki was still awake. He glanced toward Mariette's sleeping form and whispered, “Don't call me En-Chan.” With that said, he turned on his bed and attempted to sleep.
 
 
Yoko watched them sleep and leaned toward Mariette's sleeping form.
 
 
“Like an angel.”
 
 
(This chapter was longer than the last. So Mariette meets the king of En and Enki again. What will happen next? Please keep reviewing, so I know what you want.)