Tokimeki Memorial Fan Fiction ❯ Toki Days ❯ Heart-to-Heart Discussions ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Toki Days
 
A Tokimeki Memorial - Happy Days Crossover / Slightly AU, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Parody
 
by Sailor Enlil
 
 
Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You story with a flavor of Happy Days
 
Synopsis: Shiori Fujisaki starts her 2nd year in Kirameki Highschool with vague memories of her childhood. On the first day of school when she arrives at the gate, Rei Ijuuin, the Principal's grandson, makes his usual grand entrance via a limousine and cheering girls, a routine he's gone through since junior high. However, a new male transfer student in a black leather jacket arrives as a passenger on a motorcycle, and when he removes his helmet, he's dashingly handsome with a greased hairdo and carries himself like a debonair gentleman, effectively drawing the girls away from Rei. Meanwhile, as Shiori looks at him, she gets a nagging feeling in her heart that there's something strangely familiar about him.
 
Tokimeki Memorial is property of Konami; Happy Days is the creation of Garry Marshall and property of the American Broadcasting Company
 
 
Chapter prologue
 
(Morning, Sunday, April 13, 1997, Neighborhood Park)
 
Fonzu was dropped off at the park by Shinobu around 10:30 in the morning, the appointed time for his meeting (or date as his friends would call it) with Shiori. Aside from his usual black leather jacket, he was dressed in a sport shirt and jeans, and had running shoes on. It wasn't long before Shiori arrived.
 
"Good morning, Fonzu-kun!" greeted Shiori. She was wearing a pink blouse with a yellow bow, along with a matching miniskirt. She was also carrying a small pack with her.
 
"Good morning, Shiori-san!" Fonzu greeted back.
 
 
Opening Theme
 
Nichi, Tsuki, Toki Days
Ka, Sui, Toki Days
Moku, Kana, Toki Days
Tsuchi, what a day
Groovin' all week with you
 
These days are all,
Tokimeki (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Share them with me (Itoshii)
 
Sayonara grey sky, hello aoi.
When I hold you it's so sugoi.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.
 
These days are all,
Share them with me (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Tokimeki (Itoshii)
These Toki Days are yours and mine (These Toki Days are yours and mine), Toki Days
 
Opening Theme Ends
 
 
Chapter 9: Heart-to-Heart Discussions
 
"Well, would you like to sit down?" asked Fonzu, indicating a nearby bench.
 
"Uh, yeah, sure." replied Shiori, before following Fonzu to the bench then sitting next to him.
 
"How are you this morning?" began Fonzu.
 
"I'm fine" replied Shiori.
 
"So, what's up?" asked Fonzu.
 
"Oh, well, I just have some questions for you."
 
"Well, what would you like to know?"
 
"You said you were born here in Japan?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"But your father is an American, right?"
 
"Yeah. He was in the navy serving at a US base here in Japan. He met my mother who was a waitress at a restaurant in the base."
 
"Oh."
 
"They talked a bit, and found themselves interested in each other's lives, then got hitched along the way."
 
"Love at first sight?"
 
"Perhaps. They married after a year, then a year after, I was born."
 
"You grew up in the base?"
 
"No, my father was given a long term shore leave since my mother got pregnant with me, and stayed at her house, which was around here somewhere. Can't remember which one, but it was definitely about a walk away from this park."
 
"I see. Um, I have a confession to make though."
 
"Yes? What is it?"
 
"Um, on the first day of school, after classes, I, uh, saw you here, with Shinobu-san."
 
"Oh?" asked Fonzu, surprised.
 
"Yeah, sorry for spying." said Shiori bashfully.
 
"Oh, it's alright."
 
"Um, I noticed you were looking at a tree?"
 
"Oh, that one?" Fonzu said, pointing out the tree with the two notches. "Yeah. I few memories with that tree."
 
"Really?"
 
"Come, I'll show you something."
 
"Okay," said Shiori, getting up with Fonzu as he led her to the tree.
 
"What are those?" asked Shiori, indicating the two notches.
 
"I call them growth notches."
 
"Growth notches?"
 
"Yeah. Marks I carved to indicate my height. The lower one marked my height when I was three years old. The upper one when I was four."
 
"Wow" said Shiori, examining Fonzu's height. "You were really tiny back then."
 
"Hehe yeah." said Fonzu, before he led Shiori back to the bench.
 
"You mentioned you had a friend you played with?"
 
"Yes. A girl. I can't remember her name though," again Fonzu lied.
 
"Oh. Anyway you left for America when you turned 4?"
 
"Yes. My father was given an honorable discharge and decided to go back to his hometown Milwaukee in America."
 
"I imagine you didn't want to leave your friend?"
 
"Yeah, and she didn't want me to leave either."
 
"How sad," said Shiori, now feeling sympathetic.
 
"I do remember she cried a lot when I told her. So I made a promise to come back as soon as I could."
 
"Wow."
 
"At least she cheered up a bit. And that was the last I saw of her"
 
"Oh" remarked Shiori, who fell into thought for a moment. She then asked "How was your life in America?"
 
"It wasn't so bad, if not for the fact that I missed my old friend. I met new friends, and went to school there. Junior high was a lot of fun."
 
"I can imagine."
 
"I admit I was a bit of a badboy at first. I was once the leader of a gang called the Samurais."
 
Shiori laughed at the gang's name. "Gosh you still kept your Japanese heritage didn't you?"
 
"Yeah. I also trained in Karate in gradeschool, so it added up to me being a real gangster. I also went out with a lot of girls, but I never went steady with anyone."
 
"Oh?"
 
"Maybe because deep inside I was missing my old friend badly, and perhaps, I was in love with her."
 
"Really?"
 
"Yeah. So perhaps my rebellious streak was a way to let out my frustrations."
 
"Oh."
 
"Fortunately it didn't last. One day my father talked some sense into me, and I guess he figured out my problem. So he told me something."
 
"What?"
 
"If I could change and become a good student, and a gentleman, he'll let me come back to Japan and find my old friend."
 
"Wow. So that's the point of your coming here?"
 
"Yes."
 
"That's quite a story" said Shiori, who became rather reminiscent "More like, a beautiful love story" she thought. She then asked "Why only now?"
 
"It was at the end of my first year in highschool that my grades were good enough to satisfy my father, and that I could act like a perfect gentleman as far as he's concerned."
 
"Woa. He sure was demanding."
 
"Well, considering he was in the Navy, so I guess he kinda brought its discipline to the house. Also, he wanted to make sure I could survive in Japan on my own, so I also had to brush up in Japanese language, history, and culture."
 
"Oh, I see. Wait, on your own? Are you saying you came here all by yourself?" asked Shiori with concern.
 
"Yeah."
 
"Don't you miss your folks?"
 
"Yeah, I do, but the thought of being able to find my old friend keeps me going."
 
"Wow. Are you living alone?"
 
"Yeah."
 
Shiori felt a little pity for Fonzu learning of his living status. "For such a nice guy, it must be tough living alone" she thought.
 
"Well, I've learned to cope. And at least my cousin Shinobu lives nearby. In case you ask, her home is already a full house so there's no room for me."
 
"How are you related to her?"
 
"She's the daughter of my mother's late sister."
 
"Oh."
 
“Anyway that's pretty much what's become of my life here.”
 
“I see. Say, Fonzu-kun?”

“Yes?”
 
“Um, I also happened to eavesdrop on you yesterday. I didn't mean to really, I was just there.”
 
“Oh.”

“I had no idea Yoshio-kun and Yuko-chan had a relationship in the past. I was really surprised to hear. I'm sorry it didn't work out for them.”
 
“Yeah, me too. Poor kids.”
 
“Then when he told you all about it, I was surprised about him being interested in me.”
 
“Woa, you heard that too?” asked Fonzu, referring to yesterday's talk with Yoshio. After Yoshio calmed down after his painful talk with Yuko at the library, he told Fonzu all about his past relationship with Yuko, and everything that happened up to the present, including his short-lived crush on Shiori, and his decision to back off for a number of reasons, including what he heard about Shiori's rejections to offers from boys to go stead with her. And Shiori heard it all, which surprised her a lot.
 
“Um, yeah.” said Shiori. “Don't tell him I heard okay?”
 
“Sure. My lips are sealed. He'd definitely be embarrassed if he found out you heard him say it.”

“Yeah. Well, I don't think it would have worked out between us anyway if he decided to ask me to go steady with him. I would have refused. But after hearing what happened, I guess it was better he didn't try and approach me. I think he probably would have gotten hurt if I rejected him, because it would have reminded him of his own breakup with Yuko-chan.” speculated Shiori.
 
“You do have a point there.”

“At least you were there for him.”
 
“Hey, what are friends for?”
 
“Yeah. Thanks for being there for us, especially for me, well, you know...”

“Don't mention it. Anytime you need someone to talk to or if you just want some company, I'm right here.”

Arigato.” said Shiori meekly, who looked like she was starting to get emotional again.
 
“Hey there there. Cheer up and smile okay?”

“I'm sorry.”
 
“There's nothing to apologize for.”
 
“I... I don't know... I guess maybe the reason why I don't want to go steady with any boy yet, is because I don't want to get hurt if things go wrong, like what happened to Yoshio-kun and Yuko-chan. And, just thinking about that, kinda scares me. I mean, it was bad enough my father died.”
 
“I understand. Nobody wants to get hurt. Believe me I've been hurt too, though not because of a romantic relationship.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Yeah. Once in junior high during those times I fooled around, I had an argument with a close friend over a girl, and he never talked to me since.”
 
“Oh, I'm sorry to hear.”
 
“Well, nothing I can do about that now. No use brooding over it.”
 
They talked a bit more, and it was eventually noontime.
 
"Hey, you hungry?" asked Shiori.
 
"Well, yeah kinda."
 
"I came prepared" said Shiori, opening her pack to reveal two bentos.
 
"Oh? You brought lunch with you eh?"
 
"Yeah. Don't worry it's not as bad as Yumi-chan's," said Shiori reassuringly.
 
"It's alright. I trust you." said Fonzu.
 
"Let's eat then?"
 
"Sure!"
 
 
Ending theme
 
Sayonara grey sky, hello aoi.
When I hold you it's so sugoi.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.
 
These days are all,
Share them with me (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Tokimeki (Itoshii)
These Toki Days are yours and mine (These Toki Days are yours and mine), Toki Days
 
Ending Theme Ends
 
 
Chapter Epiloge
 
(Meanwhile at Aoi's Drive-in)
 
“So, how's Yuko-chan doing?” asked Potsu.
 
“Yumi-chan is keeping her company” said Yoshio. “She'll be alright, I hope.”
 
“Wow, you and Yuko-sempai together before?” asked Kaji.
 
“Yeah,” said Yoshio. He then looked intently at Kaji. “And I don't intend to let a similar tragedy happen to Yumi-chan.”
 
“Woa! Don't sweat it man!” said Kaji nervously. “I'm not gonna let that happen.”
 
“I'd prefer to see to that myself.” said Yoshio.
 
“Hey, give the boy a break man.” said Potsu.
 
“That's what I'm worried about.” said Yoshio.
 
“So, what do we got here? there's the four of us in the band.” inquired Potsu.
 
“It's too bad Fonzu-san is not around. We'd get a lot more done with him around.” said Yoshio.
 
“Yeah, I wonder what he and Shiori-sempai are doing?” wondered Kaji.
 
“Who knows? This is the first time Shiori-chan's ever gone on any date with a guy as far as I know.” said Yoshio.
 
“Really?” asked Potsu.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Well, knowing Fonzu-niisan, he's an expert with girls. Heck he dated a lot back in America and told me all kinds of stories in his emails. He even helped other guys get hitched with girls.”
 
“Woa!” went Yoshio and Potsu.
 
“You mean like how he got Yoshio and Kisaragi-san introduced?” asked Potsu.
 
“Yeah!” replied Kaji.
 
“Hmm, is it possible he could lend me a hand in getting a girl?” asked Potsu with hope.
 
“Sure! Just ask him.” replied Kaji.
 
“Oh boy,” sighed Yoshio.
 
-TBC
 
 
A/N: Notice how I rewrote what would normally be Shiori's Fall event (i.e. take her to the Neighborhood Park in the Fall, and she'll point out the growth notches on the tree)? Well since in this fanfic Shiori doesn't remember her childhood, she wouldn't remember that tree either, but Fonzu does (i.e. as far as Shiori's concerned, it was someone else who was playing with Fonzu at that tree).
 
Stay tuned!