Tokimeki Memorial Fan Fiction ❯ Toki Days ❯ A Rei of Light ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Toki Days
 
A Tokimeki Memorial - Happy Days Crossover / Slightly AU, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Parody
 
by Sailor Enlil
 
 
Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You story with a flavor of Happy Days
 
Synopsis: Shiori Fujisaki starts her 2nd year in Kirameki Highschool with vague memories of her childhood. On the first day of school when she arrives at the gate, Rei Ijuuin, the Principal's grandson, makes his usual grand entrance via a limousine and cheering girls, a routine he's gone through since junior high. However, a new male transfer student in a black leather jacket arrives as a passenger on a motorcycle, and when he removes his helmet, he's dashingly handsome with a greased hairdo and carries himself like a debonair gentleman, effectively drawing the girls away from Rei. Meanwhile, as Shiori looks at him, she gets a nagging feeling in her heart that there's something strangely familiar about him.
 
 
Tokimeki Memorial is property of Konami; Happy Days is the creation of Garry Marshall and property of the American Broadcasting Company
 
 
Chapter prologue
 
(Sunday, April 13, 1997, late afternoon, Shiori's neighborhood)
 
"That was a delicious bento you made." said Fonzu.
 
"I'm glad you liked it." said Shiori. "I, uh, made sure to add Parsley..."
 
"Ehehe. You didn't have to go that far."
 
"Well, I remembered it was your favorite, and I kinda wanted to return the favor, you know."
 
"Really you didn't have to, though I appreciate it."
 
"Hehe, I'm glad."
 
They were walking back to Shiori's house after their "date" at the Neighborhood Park. After awhile they arrived at their destination.
 
"Thanks for coming to see me today," said Shiori.
 
"Don't mention it. I had a nice time," replied Fonzu.
 
"Me too." said Shiori. After a pause she said "Well I'll see you tomorrow."
 
"Sure!"
 
"Ja!"
 
"Ja!"
 
Shiori went into her house. When the front door closed, Fonzu glanced at the house next door.
 
"Boy do I miss our old home." he thought, before he walked off. He did not notice that someone, an old woman, was watching him from a window on the second floor that house.
 
"My, how you've grown my dear Akito-kun," said the old woman. "So you've finally come back for her." She smiled.
 
 
Opening Theme
 
Nichi, Tsuki, Toki Days
Ka, Sui, Toki Days
Moku, Kana, Toki Days
Tsuchi, what a day
Groovin' all week with you
 
These days are all,
Tokimeki (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Share them with me (Itoshii)
 
Sayonara grey sky, hello aoi.
When I hold you it's so sugoi.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.
 
These days are all,
Share them with me (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Tokimeki (Itoshii)
These Toki Days are yours and mine (These Toki Days are yours and mine), Toki Days
 
Opening Theme Ends
 
 
Chapter 10: A Rei of Light
 
(Monday, April 14, 1997, morning, Classroom of 2-A)
 
"So, how did it go between you two yesterday eh?" asked Potsu craftily.
 
"Mou!" moaned Shiori whose face began to turn red.
 
"Hey lay off on her man you're embarrassing her." piped Fonzu. "Like I said all we did was talk. Well, she did make a delicious packed lunch for me" said Fonzu just as Shiori visually tried to tell him to keep quiet about it, waving her opened hands in front of her with a panic striken face.
 
"Awww, isn't that sweet." teased Yoshio. Shiori brought her knuckles to her chin looking really bashful.
 
"What's the big deal? I sometimes bring a packed lunch when going out if there's no diner or take out nearby, even on dates back in Milwaukee."
 
"Fonzu-san, in Japan it's kind of a custom..." Yoshio began, but Fonzu cut him off.
 
"I know. When you make a bento for someone, it signifies that someone is special to you. Well, I haven't been bitten by the bento bug yet, since it's not such a big deal in America, although we do have the old saying 'The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.'" said Fonzu, causing Potsu and Yoshio to laugh and Shiori to giggle a bit.
 
"Hahaha that's a funny way to put it." said Yoshio.
 
"Anyway, what's the progress with the band club?" asked Fonzu.
 
"Not much we could do without you around Fonzu-san." said Potsu.
 
"How about a venue for practices?" asked Fonzu.
 
"Hmm, yeah now that you mentioned it-" Yoshio began, but was interrupted.
 
"Ah, having some problems here?" asked Rei merrily, to Yoshio and Potsu's irritation.
 
"What do you want Ijuuin-san?" asked Potsu.
 
"Nothing really. It just seems you could use a little help." said Rei.
 
"As if you'd actually help us." said Yoshio.
 
"Oh come on now. A friend of Fonzu-san is a friend of mine, from now on that is." said Rei, surprising everyone.
 
"Huh?" went Yoshio and Potsu. Shiori simply looked confused.
 
"Well, any help would be appreciated man." said Fonzu.
 
"And help you will get. I believe the Brass Band club is in hiatus at this time, if I may inquire Fujisaki-san?" said Rei.
 
"Uh, well, things have been, shaky for the band so far." said Shiori disappointedly. She was a flute player of the brass band club, but recently the club has been inactive.
 
"Eh? What's going on Shiori-san?" asked Fonzu.
 
"Well, the band members got into some disagreement, and, well you see, it might be dissolved," said Shiori meekly.
 
"Oh, sorry to hear," said Yoshio.
 
"So, the music room normally reserved for the brass band club has been unused recently." Shiori added.
 
"Well, one's loss can be another's gain right?" said Rei.
 
"I'm sure you could have put it more mildly" said Potsu flatly.
 
"Now now, sometimes we have to take an opportunity when it comes right?" said Rei.
 
"You do have a point there," said Fonzu.
 
"See?" said Rei almost sarcastically. "Why not make good use of the vacant room? It's a shame though, that room is an excellent facility. Complete with studio and recording equipment."
 
"Oh?" piped Yoshio.
 
"Sounds good to me," said Fonzu.
 
"Well, what do you say?" asked Rei.
 
"Well, okay, if it's alright with Shiori," said Potsu.
 
"I guess it's alright, the situation with the brass band club can't be helped anyway," said Shiori.
 
"Tell you what Shiori-san, why not join us?" asked Fonzu.
 
"But, I'm not into Rock and Roll," protested Shiori.
 
"Hmm, that's a tough proposition. You see Fujisaki-san's preference is classical music." said Rei.
 
"Oh." said Fonzu.
 
"Sorry." said Shiori.
 
"Well, that aside, perhaps we ought to start planning our practice sessions" said Yoshio.
 
"Good idea." said Potsu.
 
"Alright. I'll keep Kaji-kun posted as well." said Fonzu.
 
"Ah. Excellent. Then it's settled. I'll inform the student body to transfer reservation of the music room to your club as soon as I can." said Rei. "Meantime, we'd better get ready for class."
 
"Oh, right!" said Yoshio.
 
"Okay" said Shiori.
 
"Later then, Shiori-san" said Fonzu.
 
(Lunchbreak)
 
Shiori and Fonzu were having lunch, brought by Shiori for the both of them behind everyone's back (they waited till at least Yoshio and Potsu left the classroom for the cafeteria before feasting on some bento Shiori prepared for Fonzu and herself; of course like the previous day, she made sure to add Parsley to Fonzu's share), inside their classroom borrowing a pair of vacant tables connected together.
 
"Shiori-san?" said Fonzu after he finished his lunch.
 
"Um, yes?" asked Shiori as she took the empty bento boxes and wrapped them in a cloth that was used as a makeshift tablecloth when she and Fonzu ate, before putting everything in her schoolbag.
 
"You okay there?"
 
"Oh, yeah. Why do you ask?"
 
"You sounded very disappointed when you mentioned what happened to the brass band club."
 
"Well, um, I was actually looking forward to playing at an orchestral performance that the band had been planning since last year."
 
"Woa. That's cool"
 
"But then, things just weren't going right, and, the concert was cancelled."
 
"Oh. I'm sorry to hear."
 
"I was all set, practicing and all, and now..." Shiori paused, her face falling.
 
"Hey, there there" said Fonzu. "It'll be alright"
 
"And, I really enjoyed that music room."
 
"Well, I'm sure it'll be okay with Yoshio and Potsu if you want to keep practicing in there."
 
"Really?"
 
"I'll talk to them. I promise."
 
"Okay. Um, Fonzu-kun?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Um, thanks, again."
 
"Hey, anytime."
 
"I just wish, I had someone to at least duet with. It's rather lonely with just me."
 
"I'll let you in on a secret."
 
"Huh?"
 
"I happened to play the acoustic guitar."
 
"Oh?"
 
"And I also listen to instrumental new age music like the Narada series, which is a bit like classical in a way, using classical instruments including the flute. It's great for relaxation."
 
"I see. Are you suggesting..."
 
"You can duet with me if you like."
 
"Really?" said Shiori, eyes filled with hope.
 
"Sure."
 
"Arigato!"
 
"Hey, what are friends for?"
 
"Ah, there you are" said Rei who just walked in.
 
"Ah Ijuuin-san," said Fonzu. Shiori kept quiet.
 
"It is to my greatest pleasure to inform you that the music room is now under the jurisdiction of your Rock Band club." said Rei merrily.
 
"Ah, thank you so much Ijuuin-san" said Fonzu.
 
"You might want to check the room if it suits your needs."
 
"Will do, as soon as Saotome-san, Potsu-san, and Kaji-kun get here, if they do so before class resumes that is."
 
"Well and good. I'll be attending to other important matters for now. So if you'll excuse me" said Rei, before bowing to Fonzu, then making a strange but almost unnoticable hand jesture that only Fonzu saw, then leaving.
 
"Not a bad guy after all" said Fonzu.
 
"I don't know. I still don't trust him" said Shiori.
 
"Eh?" said Fonzu. "What about him?" he asked, concealing his own knowledge and impression of the Ijuuin heir.
 
"Well, he's always put his own interests above others. For instance he has a club activity and someone happens to be using a room he needs, he'll use his influence to force the other party out."
 
"That so?" said Fonzu, pretending to be surprised.
 
"And I can't help but blame him for the brass band's demise, or at least suspect he might have had a hand in it." said Shiori.
 
"I don't know. I just don't peg him to be all that bad, at least after my little 'incident' with him."
 
"Fonzu-kun," said Shiori with concern in her face. "Are you siding with him? Did he put you into a fix or anything?"
 
"No not at all." said Fonzu assuringly. "Let's say I broke through his tough exterior. Like I said before I have ways with people."
 
"Well, if you say so, but still, I mean, Ijuuin-san is really powerful. His family even has its own private army complete with military equiment like tanks and stuff."
 
"Hey, I've dealt with all kinds of people back in Milwaukee, and it goes as far back as Junior High."
 
"Fonzu-kun..." said Shiori feeling uncertain.
 
"Please trust me on this Shiori-san, I assure you you have nothing to worry about regarding Ijuuin-san."
 
"Okay, if you say so." said Shiori, with a sigh. "I guess this whole issue about the brass band going downhill is stressing me out lately."
 
"Hey, it'll be alright. Come on, cheer up," said Fonzu, flashing his trademark smile. "Hmm?"
 
"Okay." said Shiori, trying to feel assured.
 
"At a girl," said Fonzu, making Shiori smile a bit. "I'll be heading for the restroom for awhile okay?"
 
"Alright." said Shiori, just before Fonzu left the classroom. "Domo arigato, Fonzu-kun. You're so kind to me" she thought wistfully as she stared at the doorway where Fonzu exited.
 
(Just outside the storage room)
 
Fonzu got to the door to the storage room where he shoved Rei into the previous week. Before going in, he looked around to see if anyone was looking. Satisfied, he opened the door, went inside, and closed it.
 
"I guess I owe you an explanation about Fujisaki-san's predicament, Fonzu-kun," said a girl's voice in the room. The features of the girl herself were obscured (at least to the viewers), but the dim lighting was enough for one to perceive her long blonde hair let down freely and reaching her hips, as well as the unusual fact that she wore the male school uniform.
 
"Well, at least it would answer a few questions."
 
"The Brass Band Club was an ambitious venture. They were good instrument players individually, most especially Fujisaki-san. The problem was their lack of teamwork and comeraderie, though Fujisaki-san tried her best to make ends meet."
 
"Woa. Oh well, a boat with a messy crew would obviously lose course or sink."
 
"What fueled the fire was the fact that one female member had romatic feelings for the band's leader, who himself was interested in another girl. The former's jealousy raged out. Members took sides, resulting in an all-out war of words. Fujisaki-san was heartbroken at the skirmish, and, not wanting to take sides, ended up just watching the club collapse under its own weight."
 
"Oh my..."
 
"Also, because of their lack of progress, the student council refused to provide more funding to the club. When the jealous girl, who was one of their best musicians, left the club, those who sided with her spread out the rumor that the Ijuuins deliberately ordered the budget cut."
 
Fonzu bowed his head.
 
"Unfortunately Fujisaki-san was so frustrated she ended up believing the rumor."
 
"Poor thing."
 
"Yes. Quite unfortunate."
 
"Exactly what is their situation now?"
 
"The truth is they already disbanded completely, and their disbanding happened right on Valentine's Day of this year, which was of course also Fujisaki-san's birthday. She hoped to save the band by treating them to a party and try to get everyone back to a good mood, but when they jumped the gun on her and the tragedy finally came, Fujisaki-san was devastated. She continued practicing her flute playing alone in the music room even though the club no longer existed."
 
"I guess I came just in time then."
 
"Indeed. Had you not intervened it could have been worse, and your friends would have sided with her and not accepted the offer given to them, which would have been a loss on their part."
 
"I'll see what else I can do."
 
"I think you've done well enough. At least she's no longer, um, irate."
 
"Hmm, now that you've mentioned it she did exhibit uncharacteristic behavor on the first day of school."
 
"You noticed it too?"
 
"I'm much more observant than I appear. In fact our first private meeting here came as a, side effect, to my intuition to avoid someone's assault."
 
"Fufufufu. Is that what it was all about?"
 
"At least it's nothing I couldn't handle."
 
"Better stay on guard then, and could you try to be more considerate to anyone in close proximity? I believe Wakaba-san took real exception to your actions."
 
"Yeah, hehe. I guess that was a really sticky situation. Literally."
 
"Fufufufu! Well, don't keep Fujisaki-san and the others waiting."
 
"Sure thing." said Fonzu as he turned towards the door. "I'll keep you posted on any developments."
 
"Arigato."
 
Fonzu quitely left the room.
 
"(sigh) What would we do without you, Fonzu-kun?" said the girl, then she grinned. "I can't believe I've made quite a good friend in one such as him," she said, as she tied her hair in a ponytail.
 
 
Ending theme
 
Sayonara grey sky, hello aoi.
When I hold you it's so sugoi.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.
 
These days are all,
Share them with me (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Tokimeki (Itoshii)
These Toki Days are yours and mine (These Toki Days are yours and mine), Toki Days
 
Ending Theme Ends
 
 
Chapter Epiloge
 
(Classroom of 2-A)
 
"Eh? They're not back yet?" said Fonzu.
 
"No, they sure are taking so long" said Shiori.
 
"Well I guess it'll have to wait till after class hours instead so..." said Fonzu just as Potsu and an irritated Yoshio walked in.
 
"Grrr. Won't he just give up?" grumbled Yoshio.
 
"Oh well, I guess he's been struck real hard by Cupid's arrow" said Potsu. Yoshio glared at him.
 
"Woa! What's going on here?" asked Fonzu. Shiori was curious at Yoshio's sudden outburst.
 
"Fonzu-san, that little cousin runt of yours has been bugging Yumi-chan again," said Yoshio. "We took the whole lunch hour chasing him all over the canteen before Yumi had enough and she herself eventually wrestled him to the floor.” Yoshio was interrupted by a growling sound coming from his stomach. “And I'm still hungry." he added.
 
"Must have been some race." joked Fonzu. Shiori stiffled a giggle.
 
"Tell me about it." said Potsu. "He sure runs fast."
 
"Guess I'll have to give him another stern lecture." said Fonzu.
 
"Just what have you been putting into that stupid head of his?" asked Yoshio.
 
"Just about the same thing I share with all other guys like yourselves." said Fonzu. "Kaji-kun just has a problem with um, processing them properly and getting the right idea."
 
"Just get him to cut the crap out!" said Yoshio flatly.
 
Shiori ended up forgetting about her problems and giggled at Yoshio's rant, much to his chargin.
 
"Shiori-chan, what is so funny?" asked Yoshio while glaring at Shiori. Fonzu shook his head while smiling a bit.
 
-TBC
 
 
A/N: Surprised? Well, if I was just an ordinary narrator I would have added a line such as 'Who was the mysterious girl Fonzu conversed with in the storage room? Why does she know so much inside information? And why is she wearing the male school uniform?' Of course diehard players of the game will easily figure out exactly who it was. I also came up with an incident to put Shiori in not-so-good terms with Rei just to spice things up and add yet more drama (i.e. She won't be so accepting of him, and she will be rattled at first when Fonzu tries to get him to get along with the gang; don't worry Fonzu will find a way around this mess). The “incident” was sort of inspired by the 2nd drama series Tokimemo game Irodori No Love Song.
 
And it looks like the 'Toki Days Band' is about to make its debut. Currently they comprise of Fonzu on lead vocals (though he can play the guitar, he won't do so in the band for the moment), Yoshio on Electric Guitar and Vocals, Potsu on Bass Guitar and Vocals, and Kaji on Drums and Vocals.
 
I'll reveal the identity of the old woman in Fonzu's old house in the future.