Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled: A Leah Clearwater Story ❯ Chapter 26 ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 26

Getting to know Nahuel’s family has become my ultimate challenge and a pain in my side, for lack of a better word.  As a norm I make a point of not caring what people think about me, I feel that everyone should carry himself or herself that way, so that nobody loses the opportunity to have their own identity.  These women on the other hand, make me nervous, I knew they played a key role in Nahuel’s life and their approval actually meant something to me.  Watching what I say has never been something I was good at or prone to do considering the previous information, but the past week I have been pretty much silent, unless they asked me questions then I was more than willing to answer them in full detail.  Nahuel stepped in a couple of times when he felt the questions that his sisters were asking were none of their business.  I still think it is funny how they respond to him as if he is their leader or something even his Aunt responds to him this way.  However the way she acts toward me now has changed completely changed.  She is warmer towards me now, not because she likes me or anything but because she thinks my days are numbered.  

“I will make sure he never forgets you.” She said when I was making one of my many attempts to get to know her.  

“That won’t be necessary since I have every intention of with him forever.” She smiled at me with a look that mirrored remorse and pity and I growled slightly under my breath.  

“No offense to you child, but everything beautiful or good that my nephew touches dies or becomes something bitter and ugly.” For a second her red eyes seemed soft and I knew she was talking about herself, I touched her shoulder in an attempt to show her sympathy and she pulled away from me.  

“Don’t you dare pity me!”  She laughed darkly and her voice was thick, it reminded me of how someone sounds when they are fighting back tears, “You are the one I feel sorry!  You my child are going to die and no matter how many times I try to warn you, you won’t take heed, so your fate is sealed.  You should marry my nephew as soon as possible because if you wait too late it will never happen.” She went to leave me then paused, “I am sorry for your loss.” She whispered I don’t think she meant for me to hear her and I didn’t let on that I did.  
---------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

Maria and Marisol are like night and day.  Maria is the day chipper, bubbly, and light.  Marisol is the night dark, silent, and mysterious.  I took a while for Marisol to open up to me every time I approached her she was polite but distance, she could find the nicest ways to say go away and leave me alone.  She was constantly writing in this book, I figure is her substitution for not having much interaction with the people around her. Even though I have no idea what is in it, I can tell she is very passionate about from the way she holds when she walks she is very guarded in the way she grips the book and holds if to her chest.  The first time I talked to her for any length of time she caught me off guard.  One night when I was about to head to Nahuel’s room she caught me in the hallway and asked to speak with me.  

“Sure” I asked slightly put off by her timing.  We went back into my room and I plopped on my bed and she sat at my computer.  We sat in the room silently and the minutes crept by I didn’t want to tell her to hurry up but she seriously needed to spit it out already.  

“What’s on your mind Marisol?”  I said egging her on.  

“Do you really love my brother?” Her eyes teak, just like Nahuel, and her eyes watched for my expression like he sometimes does.  

“Yes, more than anything.” I could have answered her question more quickly than I did but I wanted to act like I put some real thought into it.  Loving Nahuel has not been an easy thing and to know that I will never love anyone like I love him was a realization that I had come to a long time ago.  

“How can you tell? Edward tells me that imprinting is a very powerful notion, you could simply be disoriented from your own emotions.”

“I asked myself that same question when he first came.  When I first imprinted, I’ll admit it was hard to know the difference.  The best way I can explain how I felt about him was that I was a little obsessed.”  I smiled not because it wasn’t funny or cute, but because it is an embarrassing thing to admit.  

“Not like how you may be thinking.  I was obsessed with my need for him to be happy, it consumed me; I was in constant fear that I was not doing the right thing by him.  That’s why I didn’t tell him about the imprint at first, I was scared it would ruin his happiness at the time he seemed more than happy with Ren.  The imprint triumphed over any all of my feeling of selfishness and jealousy.”  We sat in silence and didn’t know if I had made myself clear so I decided to try again, “The difference between truly loving someone and imprinting on them, is choice, you really have no choice on who you imprint on, you are now obligated to care about that person and to see to it that they are happy and safe, but loving is a choice that you make.”  

“But what if the one thing that will make your imprint happy is for you to love them.” Marisol asked smugly thinking that she had stomped me.

“Imprinting like you said is a powerful thing and most cases the feeling is so powerful that loving that person is no problem, but if the love isn’t truly meant to be, trust me it could end badly.”  Thoughts of Emily and Sam played through my head.  Marisol nodded in acceptance of my explanation.  

“How much can you really know about him?  I still think you two are moving too fast.”

“We had planned to wait longer but other feelings . . . can’t be ignored.”  I smiled without thinking.  

“You are honestly telling my that lust is your predominate reason dictating your reckless decision?” She scoffed at me and I laughed, I had never been scoffed at before.  

“I was not the one who proposed, I was simply the proposed to, if you have a problem with Nahuel’s reasoning you should take that up with him.”  I got up to leave the room, I was willing to put up with a lot but her line of questioning was getting a little annoying, I had to leave before I said something I would regret later.

“Wait!” She said quickly and then approached, “I don’t want you to think I don’t like you, because I do think you are a good person, and your presence in my brother’s life seems to have truly changed him.  I just think that marriage is a permanent thing and should not be entered into under false pretenses.”

“There are no false pretenses!”  I pinched the bridge of my nose, I was moving from annoyed to angry and I had not expected my mood to change so abruptly.  Her accusations and concerns were pointless but one thing I gathered from what she said that caught my attention. “So you think we will survive Joham’s attacks?”  I stood by the door in case she said something that didn’t agree with my system and caused me to need a quick get away.  

“What makes you think that?” She laughed again.  

“If you feel we have room to wait to be married, you must feel we have a chance at survival, both your sister and Aunt feel we should move up the wedding.”  

“She is not my Aunt.” Marisol said dryly and sat on my bed.  

“Oh.” She seemed deep in thought I didn’t know whether to speak again, but I had to ask, “Well, why do you two stay with her?”  

“My sister and I met Nahuel and his Aunt when we were about eight, at the time we lived with our father and he seemed determined to find his other child.  When he finally found Nahuel he was greatly pleased that he had fathered a son, more importantly an offspring that could carry venom.  He was eager for Nahuel to join him, but Nahuel doesn’t think that we are privileged beings but cursed ones, so of course he didn’t join him.  That was the first time my sister and I had witnessed our father’s rage and the first time Nahuel fully knew the magnitude of his own power.  When Joham realized Nahuel’s power it shocked him enough to temporarily reconsider killing him at that moment.  Today he still hopes that Nahuel will come to him willingly to join his army, but he is smart enough to know that is highly unlikely that Nahuel’s will his mind.”  She took a minute to study my face, “Anyway, after being a witness to our father’s cruelty we left him and united with Nahuel and Huilen and have been that way ever since.” She smiled she looked like a child who had reached the happy ending of their story.  
“If Joham is soooo powerful, how did you two escape him?”  I said now joining her on the bed.  

“Maria and I possess a little power on our own, but together we can do monumental damage.  We’ll have to show you sometime” she laughed.

“Is it similar to Nahuel and Joham’s power?”  

“No, not really in our own way combined with are more powerful, but like I said it only when we are together.  The only one of Joham’s children to not receive any kind of ‘gift’ was Ana.  I think that is why she decided to stay with him, he promised her that she would be second of command over his army and she considers being in charge of his army is a form of power.” Marisol shrugged and got off of my bed,  “Your power interests me.”  

“It is nothing really . . . I really wish everybody would get over it already.”

“How could you honestly not think your condition is not something to be intrigued by?  You are the perfect blend of vampire and werewolf that is phenomenal!” she huffed.

“Shape.  Shifter.  That is what I am and that is all I am, I am not a vampire I cannot turn people and I have a heartbeat.”  

“Well same here but I am very much a vampire.” She smirked at her own intelligence, and the confused look that now masked my face.  What if I was part vampire now . . . no it is impossible.”

“There is also the little matter of desiring human blood.” I countered.  

“True, but wouldn’t it be amazing if you had all the strengths of a vampire and were lucky enough to be deprived of all of our major disadvantage, being the incredible bloodlust we all fall victim to!”  

“I’m not quite as strong as a vampire, and as much as I hate to admit it I’m not as fast as one . . . in human form, my skin doesn’t have those little sparkles in the sunlight, I am not what you think I am!”  

“Say what you will but I still think . . .”  She started to counter but I had had enough.  

“Think what you will but I know what I am.”

“Do you really?” She finally left my room and left my head spinning.  

----------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------

The Next Day

The next morning breeding more complaints but from a more familiar, yet annoying voice, “This house is starting to feel a little crowded don’t you think.”  Ren huffed as she sat on my bed.  

“You’re only saying that because Maria is too much like you, she’s getting on your nerves.” I laughed.  

“She is nothing like me!  She is overly bubbly and seems a bit spoiled!”  I arched my eyebrow at her, “Oh shut up Leah!” She lay on my bed.  

“If you get to know Nahuel’s sisters you’ll learn to like them.”  I said as I searched my closet mindlessly for something less girlie than this thing Alice had given me.”  

“I have no problem with Marisol or Huilen for that matter, I just wish they had left Maria wherever they came from.” Ren crossed her arms over her chest.  This had been the first time Ren had voiced her annoyance with Maria.  Mainly because Maria had taken an extreme liking to Ren and all of her stuff, this was the first moment she had away from her; Jasper and Nahuel had taken his family hunting.  

Hunting was becoming a concern that was heavy on Carlisle mind.  It was very important that they didn’t deplete any of the animals on which the fed, however with so many vampires living under one roof he feared it be a nearly impossible task.  Nahuel offered to sustain himself with human food, but Carlisle refused his offer.

“No Nahuel, I need you at your strongest.” Carlisle said, “I will figure something out the only logical idea I can come up with is waiting longer in between hunts.”  

“Some of us could go away and hunt like for example Rose and me.” Emmett offered.  

“I’d rather we all stick together considering the circumstances.” Carlisle stated bluntly.  

“But sense we do have more assistance it should be safe if four or five of us went away at a time.” Esme said trying to defend Emmett’s idea.

“If Joham puts together another army of that size defeating them would be unattainable with only half of us fighting.” There was a pause at the table.  

“I think I know of some others that would be willing to help.” Esme said smiling, “I’ll put in a phone call.” Edward smirked almost as soon as she started her statement.  

“Who is she calling?” I asked looking to both Carlisle and Edward to be filled in, “Who is she calling?”  Still no answer, “Okay, I’ll find out myself.”  My quest for information was halted by Ren’s extreme urging that we leave for school.

 Once at school Ren stretched her arms out and yelled, “FREEDOM!” I nudged her. This was the only place that Maria and Marisol couldn’t follow us, so Ren was free from her mini stalker.  

“Will you calm down please?”  I whispered.  

“Well you would be thankful too if you had someone who followed you around and seemed closer to you than you own shadow.”  I gave her a look, “Will you stop doing that!  I don’t follow you around, I follow Jacob around.”  We both laughed she was right and it was pretty pathetic.   Luckily Ren’s alone time with Jacob hadn’t been compromised by the new arrivals, however mine had.  I haven’t been able to sleep for about a week now and that is exactly how long they have been staying with the Cullens.  Nahuel has not been able to ‘sleep’ in the same room as me, not for lack of desire he just doesn’t consider it proper behavior.

“She was like a mother to me I wouldn’t want her to hear our antics.” He said while we had a brief moment alone.  

“I understand where you are coming from but . . .”

“I know.” He kissed me within seconds Maria called him. “I will see you later.” He started to walk away.

“Sure you will.” I said in disbelief.  

“I will” he pulled me to him with his mind, “whether you like it or not.” He smiled and then took off into the house.  

Since that moment we have barely hugged in that house.  Part of me really thinks that it is funny that a man over 150 has these types of reservations about certain things, but Nahuel’s weird quirks are part of his charm.  Setting in English class beside him though was getting a bit unbearable with him so close I could easily do something inappropriate but I was trying to be on my best behavior.  I laughed now we really are acting like two teenagers sneaking to have moments alone and trying to make out while their parents aren’t looking.  

“What’s funny?” He asked.  

“Life” I laughed again.  

“Ha. Ha.” He smirked at me.  I put my head down on my desk I was tired his closeness was not doing me any favors in that department either, I wanted to sleep, sleep is good.  I started to doze off when I heard a weird noise from beside me.  Nahuel was coughing . . . a lot.  

“Mr. Cullen, are you okay?” Mr. Cooper asked.  Nahuel continued to cough and shook his head, Shelly looked back shocked and looked at me like what the hell is going on, and all I could do was shrug.  I rubbed is back shocked and concerned.  

“Are you okay?” I asked but he just kept coughing.    

“Miss Clearwater can you escort Nahuel to the clinic please?” I nodded.  We both got up and walked outside the classroom.  

“What do I do?  Do you need Carlisle or something?” I asked I was starting to panic.  His coughs turned into laughter.  

“You didn’t know I was such a good actor did you?” he put his arm around me and I nudged him.  

“You had me scared you know!” I hit him again.

“Sorry but it was the only way.” He shrugged.  I looked at him confused and he took my hand and led me down the hall.  We ended up in an old janitor’s closet before I could ask questions or come up with something witty to say he connected his mouth to mine.  His movements were so quick it was hard to keep up his hands were eager in places they use to be hesitant.  The moment was so surreal I felt like my legs were going to give out from underneath me, he must have noticed my lack of stability because he lifted me and wrapped my legs around him.  His grip at my waistline was so strong and his attack on my lips was relentless, he stopped this action only once and that was to remove my shirt.  His hands wandered all over my bare skin, he moved his hands to my bra straps and pulled them down and kissed my shoulders, as he did this he pulled the rest of the bra down.  His hands now charted new territory and part of me loved it, but part of me (a small part) felt I should stop him.  I knew that I really didn’t want to lose my virginity in a janitor’s closet; it would be in just poor taste and so a lack of self-control, and I knew he would regret if it happened here too.

“Nahuel,” I whispered breathlessly, “Wha-what are you doing?” His eyes met mine and I noticed that they seemed darker but then they refocused.  

“Sorry.” He said, “I got carried away.”

“Just a little” I looked down and so did he.

“It’s just so crowded at the house, I felt like I didn’t have enough privacy, and I missed you . . . I guess I didn’t realize how much.”  

“Yeah crowds seem to be everybody’s issue today.”



“You aren’t going to talk to me?” He finally said after sitting there for several minutes, “I’d personally prefer you yelling at me than acting as if I am not here.”  

“What do you want me to say?” I said picking up my sandwich and taking a bite still not making any eye contact with him for fear he would try to ra-dazzle, or whatever.  “You’re my imprint right?  So I have no choice but to make you happy, so if you want to believe her, believe her, if you want me to tell you it’s okay, then it’s okay.” I said in the most sarcastic voice I could muster.  

“Where is this coming from?” he seemed really concerned for my over the top behavior.  The bad thing was that I knew I was being over dramatic but I didn’t want him to get off the hook easy just because is my imprint.  Some things just aren’t okay, for example lying to me is not okay, and not believing me when I’m telling the truth is not okay.  

“Why don’t you trust me?” I countered, “Why would you even think I would hurt anyone you care about?”

“Leah, I was in shock, you didn’t give me time to process what was going on!  I could be mad at you for your lack of patience!”  He was right and I knew he was right, a sane person would have told him he was right.  

“It doesn’t matter you actually thought about the words she said and then looked at me as if I had committed some crime!”

“I am sorry you feel that way.” He huffed and sadness took over his whole face.  Seeing him this way pained me, but the way he looked at me earlier pained me even more.  

“Just leave me alone Nahuel okay? I whispered because saying it louder would make it hurt even more, “I just need a little space.”

---------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------
  
The Silent Treatment

The silent treatment is a very immature tactic and I usually find that people who use it are very . . . well for a lack of a better word dumb.  So I guess I have to consider myself a dummy, but in my defense my reasons for silence were different than the other dummies.  The normal reason people use the silent treatment is to punish the person they aren’t talking to, my reason was that I refused to talk to Nahuel because I had nothing positive to say to him.  It had been almost two weeks since that stupid misunderstanding took place and I still couldn’t let it go.  Maybe it was because every time I thought about dropping the issue he would be hanging out with Marisol and she would give me the arrogant smirk as if she had won something.  

I had even gone as far as to ask Mr. Cooper to change my seat in class.  When I walked into class that day Nahuel’s eyes lifted to meet mine he looked as horrible as I felt, his hair was disheveled and his clothing gave off the look that he had dressed himself in the dark.  I dropped my eyes quickly and took the seat beside Shelly.  

“Umm . . . what the hell are you doing?” Shelly looked at me wide eyed.  

“What, I thought you would be happy I got my seat changed?”  I held my head preparing myself for the tongue lashing she was about to give me.  

“Leah I love you like a sister, you know that right?” I nodded closing my eyes preparing myself for it, “Are you dense?  You know who will be sitting beside him now . . . Melissa McSlutty and you best believe she will be trying to feel all over him!”  she whispered but with Shelly a whisper is not a whisper I was more than sure Nahuel would be able to hear her all to clearly.  So I just shrugged in response to her statement and her eyes bugged out of her head.  

“Leah don’t act like you don’t care!  I know you do because if you didn’t care about him you would stop wearing his ring!”  She was still speaking in a hushed tone but she decided to slam her hand on the desk for emphasis and then shook in pain afterwards, I couldn’t help but laugh at her.  “Leah, go to your seat!” she pleaded with me; she had no idea how much I wanted to do just that.  

“I already am in my seat, you need to stop hurting yourself before Seth has a fit!”

------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------------------------