Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Inverted Providence ❯ Develop ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inverted Providence
Chapter 2: Develop
 
Em and Alice didn't get home till late in the evening. I'd say around midnight actually. Although they didn't answer my awaiting questions, both did promise to tell me in the morning.
 
So here I am, sitting at the kitchen table waiting for my siblings to walk down those stairs.
 
Alice sits down next to me.
 
“I know what you're thinking. But don't worry Bella. Em and I are perfectly capable of handling this.”
 
I raise an eyebrow, “And who is that? You have two humans who know about us. Do they know about me too, even Edward?”
 
My sister only nods before standing back up. “Only Jasper and Rosalie know.”
 
“Where are you going, Alice?”
 
“Actually I've already talked to Em so I just wanted to clarify with you that I'm going to turn Jasper tonight.”
 
I feel my jaw drop.
Is she really that insane? How could Alice do this to me?
 
“Where are you going to keep him? You do know that we'll have to move again because of it.”
 
That's when Em sits down next to me with his very scary, serious face on.
 
“Bell look, Alice is going to keep him in the abandoned mansion in the woods. No one goes back there anymore. Plus there are animals to feed on.”
 
“Are you going to turn that girl too?”
 
He merely nods with a smile on his countenance. Groaning I pull my head into my hands.
 
What's wrong with them? I've known them long enough to be aware of any stunts like this. This…This is just insane!
 
“Don't worry Bell; I'm not turning Rosalie for just a little while. I haven't known her as long as Alice has Jasper.”
 
“But you are going to turn her?”
 
“Yes Bell.”
 
I sigh, knowing that I can't win this argument even if he were a brick wall. Alice's feather like footsteps settled back beside me.
 
“I need you to do me a favor Bella.”
 
“You know I'll do it. So what do you need?”
 
She smiles at me, “It's not too much. I just need you to get Edward away from Jasper so he can have his `accident'.”
 
I raise an eyebrow which causes Em to laugh.
 
“We're going to make it look like a car accident but they just won't find a body because it'll have gone in the water. Please Bella, do it for me?”
 
“Okay fine, I'll do it. When do I leave and what do I say?”
 
Alice giggles and writes down a phone number for me to call. For some reason Em gets up and leaves the room. Probably knowing I'm not going to like what I'm going to hear.
 
“Alright, all you have to do is ask Edward out on a date. This is will give us plenty of time to put the plan in motion.”
 
I feel my eyes widening. I'm sure if I could blush I would be. Anyone would be embarrassed to take someone out on a false date so their sister can kill his friend.
 
Picking up the phone, anxiety seems to flitter through me. What if he says no?
 
A silky voice erupts from my speaker and into my ear. “Hey this is Edward, who's this?”
 
“Hi, this is Bella. I was just wondering if you were free today.” nothing in response, “Because I wanted to know if you would like to go out on a date.”
 
“I'd be delighted. Who's picking who up?”
 
“I'll pick you up, my treat. I'll be there at 7.”
 
“See you then.” and the line goes dead.
 
“Oh, thank you Bell!” Her arms wrap around me in a hug before she bounces off to finish planning her scheme.
 
What've I gotten myself into now?
 
~~~~~~~~_______~~~~~~~~
 
I pull my dark red sports car up into the driveway and walk up to his door. Alice forced me to dress nice and ladylike. So here I stand; a navy blue, knee-length skirt, a silk black blouse, and black heels with straps winding up my ankle.
 
Poking the doorbell with my azure nails, I wait patiently. It doesn't take long for the door to open, but it's not what I expect.
 
Jasper…
 
The corners of his mouth twitch, attempting to produce a smile for me. “Nice to see you again Bella, glad to see you've taken a liking to my friend.”
 
“You know that it's-”
 
“Hey Bella, sorry for the wait, couldn't find my other shoe.” admits the teen.
 
I smile sweetly, “It's okay, let's get going.”
 
Edward nods and walks ahead of me dressed casually but still putting off class. From his black boots to onyx slacks to white dress shirt…he's perfect.
 
Pulling the vehicle out of the drive, Edward turns to me. “Where are you taking me?”
 
“Just to dinner really…this was a spur of the moment type of thing.”
 
“Someone put you up to this right?”
 
I glance at him, “No…well…it doesn't matter.”
 
Edward shifts in his seat and begins staring out the wind, filling the air with an uncomfortable silence.
 
He really is sweet, I can tell. But he's a human and I have to keep reminding myself that.
 
“Stop.” he says abruptly.
 
Nonetheless I do as he says and pull the car to a stop on the side of the road. Without hesitation Edward climbs out and begins walking to a side path that I hadn't seen before.
 
Locking the car I follow after him obediently. Then again I don't even think he knows I'm behind him.
 
I'm not sure how long we've been walking. Probably an average of ten to fifteen minutes, but I've got time.
 
Lots of it…
 
Edward continues to lead me into a cleared oval surrounded by trees that seem to touch the stars. The moon shines down onto us, giving my skin an unearthly translucent glow.
 
Standing in the center of this astounding sanctuary, Edward turns back to me, his eyes widen.
 
“You're beautiful…” he says breathlessly.
 
I shyly walk toward him, “Thank you.”
 
If I had a beating heart, it would probably have exploded by now. Edward takes my hand in his own.
 
“You're…unreal.”
 
I let a smile slip effortlessly onto my lips as the space between us shatters like broken glass.
 
He's…so close I can feel his breath on my skin. I should…push him away now…so why can't I?
 
I feel myself going into auto-pilot, closing my eyes and just waiting. An excerpt of a very familiar song erupts around us. My eyes snap open and watch as Edward pulls out his cell-phone.
 
His countenance of bliss dissolves into that of sorrow in an instant. Edward flips his phone shut. “Can you take me home?”
 
I only nod, knowing that the plan must've gone under way.
 
~~~~~~~~_______~~~~~
 
Pulling up to his house anyone could easily notice the red and blue flashing lights. I follow Edward to the nearest policeman.
 
“W-What happened to Jasper?”
 
The policeman sighs heavily, probably hating to have to deliver such news.
 
“You're friend had an accident and drove into the water. We can't find a body but he is presumed dead because of the waves. There has been no evidence to suggest foul play. The last person that heard from him was your friend Rosalie when he asked if she wanted anything from the store. I'm very sorry.”
 
“I…”
 
“Come on lets get you inside.” I coax him into the house.
 
Trying my best I give him some water and I sit down next to him. As the officers drive away untamed tears slip down his cheeks.
 
How could I have gone along with this…? I would do anything to never see him cry again. Even if I go against everything!