Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Inverted Providence ❯ Betrayed ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inverted Providence
Chapter 5: Betrayed
 
Not sure if Caius is staying with Edward or not I creep up the neighborhood. I didn't bother with the car. I can go way faster than any stupid man-made thing. I punch a number into my cell.
 
At the first ring it picks up and Edward silky voices slides through the speaker. “Why are you calling? Caius is still here.”
 
“I…miss you…”
 
“Give me a second and I'll be right there.”
 
I flip the phone shut and wait as patiently as I know how.
 
Geez….a second for a human is forever!
 
“How many times do I have to tell you; I'm not just another human.”
 
I smile and wrap my arms around him as he does the same to me. I tilt my head up and let Edward peck my lips before I lean back against a fence.
 
“Bella…the other hunters are coming. I want you to leave.” I open my mouth but he beats me to the punch. “I know you don't want to. But these aren't regular hunters Bella; these are the Volturi…the ancient Vampire Hunter Clan.”
 
“H-How do you know that? Only a vampire hunter knows about-No…”
 
Edward reaches out to grasp my hand but I jump onto the top of the fence.
 
“Bella, stop this. I love you. Yes I'm a very powerful vampire hunter but so what. I'm not part of them. I haven't been inducted yet.”
 
I gaze down into his jade eyes. “W-We have a connection.” He simply nods, encouraging me to continue. “I won't let them hurt anyone. You're coming with me.”
 
He shakes his bronze locks, “No they'll track me and your family if they know I've left.”
 
“Please Edward; I'm not going to leave you…Why did you start training as a hunter anyway?”
 
He turns his eyes to the moon shining above us, “My parents were killed by vampires. No one knew it but me…me and the Volturi.”
 
“But why?”
 
“It's because the Volturi want to cleanse the world of all these evil creatures so that humans can live in peace and no more of us will suffer. That is their goal…they may seem just as wicked to you but besides Rosalie and Jasper, they were all I had. And now Rosalie is gone too, because of your brother Emmett.”
 
“Edward you can't blame all of this on vampires.”
“I'm not. It's just….”
 
“Do you really want us to go back to lurking in the shadows? I want to be human just as much as a human wants to be something other than what they are. But I wouldn't be alive and in love with you if I hadn't been turned.”
 
Turning on my heel I walk away. He just needs to cool off. This must be too much to handle in one go around. I'll wait for your call Edward.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Four days later, that plan has gotten me no where. Although Jasper did complete his transformation in record time….he still craves human blood but we have discovered his power.
 
Jasper has the ultimate ability to change the mood of…well we're not entirely sure. Rosalie is still under-going the change though.
 
Alice sits down on the back yard porch beside me. “So Bella….I wanted to talk to you about something.”
 
“What is it?”
 
“I need you to stay away from Edward.”
 
“But why Alice, this isn't making sense?”
 
At that moment Em yells from the stairs, “Guys we have company.”
 
Jasper appears behind us. “Emmett and I are taking Rosalie and running as far as we can. He said rendezvous at point 7.”
 
We both nod before jumping to our feet. Alice grabs my arm, “They're coming in through here.”
 
Just as Alice and I turn to head back inside and out the front door they come into view.
 
My memory clicks to a point in the past when they taught me the faces of the Volturi.
 
The one in front leading is Aro. He has extremely long jet black hair, pale skin, and milky red eyes. Behind him stands his three lackeys; Caius, Marcus, and Demetri.
Marcus has onyx hair and crimson eyes as well as Aro. However, Demetri has a chalky pallor and dark hair that reaches his shoulders.
 
Oh no…
 
Striding beside Aro is none other than Edward himself. If I could cry I probably would have done it by now.
 
Aro smiles at us, “Hello ladies! You both seem lovely today!”
 
Alice raises an eyebrow, “Are you going to let us go or do we need to fight?”
 
“You tell us vampire,” sneers Caius.
 
I…I can't fight if Edward is on their side. We'll just have to run to the mountains.
 
That's when Edward whispers something to Aro so quietly I couldn't even hear it.
 
“I'm sorry but if you try to escape to the mountains I'll simply just have Demetri track you,” states Aro.
 
In the time that it takes to blink an eye, Alice is gone. She broke off into full run to the mountains to warn Em that they're coming.
 
Demetri smiles sadly at me, “Are you going to fight vampire?” I shake my head. “Then will you run?” Once more I shake my head no.
 
I refuse to do anything that could hurt my family. I'd rather use self-sacrifice to save the ones I love, including you Edward.
 
The shock on his countenance clarifies my suspicion; he had been reading my mind. He lied to me and said he couldn't do it unless he touched me.
 
Aro looks over at Edward, “Put this on her neck, she won't hurt you.”
 
In a zombie like state my love treads over to me and clasps a choker around my neck. From the choker a thin chain runs down to two bracelets that he hooks onto my wrists.
 
As he leads me over to the Volturi I sigh, “Why Edward…killing us won't bring anyone back…it won't heal anyone.”
 
Caius glowers at me, “Shut it you wretch! You'll speak when spoken too.”
 
Anger wells up inside me as I try with all my might to break the chains. I stare at them, shocked that I can't do the simplest thing.
 
Aro grins like a child who just got an ice cream sundae. “They're magnificent aren't they? These devices can turn all attributes of a vampire into that of a human. Putting them on the subject is tricky but worth every minute.”
 
I take my surrender in silence as they lead me back into the abandoned mansion. They sit me in the living room between Marcus and Edward while the others return to their car to get the “supplies”.
 
Edward glances over at Marcus, “Are you going to help in the…killing?”
 
Marcus merely shrugs, “Why would I? That stuff is rather boring once you've seen it so many times.”
 
Caius, Aro, and Demetri trek back into the room and set several heavy metal suitcases onto a table covered by cloth. Caius pulls out to handguns and tosses one to Edward.
 
“Why are you giving this to me?”
 
Aro grins like a nasty little imp, “You're going to be the one to pull the trigger along with Caius. To kill a vampire when need to shoot them with two tranquilizers before we do as the old ritual says. Just be careful if a human is hit, it's an instant kill.”
 
Caius loads the poison into his gun before Edward does the same with his. With an apathetic attitude, Marcus leads me back out to the backyard. I'm left standing in the middle of the large green yard.
 
Caius moves to stand where he can most likely shoot me through a temple or the neck. Edward stands straight in front of me with shaky hands.
 
Marcus yawns, “Okay Bella do you have anything you want to say before they kill you?”
 
I shake my head and continue to look straight at Edward.
 
I know you don't want to do this Edward. You know what will happen if you pull that trigger at me. You'll be lost in the cycle of blood and hunting. Just like an animal hunts its prey. Just like a vampire hunts its meal.
 
Edward's grassy-green eyes seem to dull as his grip tightens around the gun.
 
I clench my eyes shut, expecting excruciating pain and agony while I die.
 
I love you Edward…whether you shoot me or not.
 
The chamber fires off the bullet from Edward's gun.
 
Where's the impact?
 
I crack my eyes open to see Edward running to me. Glancing sideways I see Caius lying on the ground, eyes wide open in fear.
 
Edward slides the key into my bindings and they tumble to the ground. He points the gun toward the other three. “If any of you so much as moves I won't hesitate to shoot you all.”
 
As we run away, always glancing back, I realize one thing.
 
“You didn't shoot me. Was that your plan from the start?”
 
He smiles wide at me, “They're not my friends anymore. Each of them has changed beyond return. You're my family now, Bella, if you'll let me.”
 
I grin back, “Of course…as long as you don't point that weapon at me.”
 
We both burst into laughter as we run through the forest.
 
They aren't going to follow us. The Volturi lost a comrade. Their next plan is to strategize and kill the one that murdered their comrade, which means I've got to keep my eye on Edward till he can defend himself.
 
“Are you going to turn me Bella?”
 
“I might…but it would be nice if you couldn't read my thoughts.”
 
His shocked eyes meet my calm ones, “I'll lose my power if I become one of you?”
 
I shrug as we slow our pace, “I don't know. Everyone is different. Jasper got a power; he can change peoples' moods. But I don't care whether or not you have an ability as long as you're with me.”
 
Even if that means I'll have to kill every member of that clan with my own hands. I'll do anything to keep him from harm.