Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Inverted Providence ❯ Tracker ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inverted Providence
Chapter 9: Tracker
 
After that little bit of information Edward and I retreated into one of the many guest rooms. Sitting on the bed next to him I realize just how much I can't live without him.
 
“Edward…you love me right?”
 
He turns to me, a little taken aback by the abrupt question. “Of course I do. But why ask all of a sudden?”
 
“Because…I think something bad is going to happen soon.”
 
Edward only shakes his head, “You're just stressed is all.”
 
I lean back against the head board just as Jacob darts into the room. His gaze steely as he growls deep, “We have visitors so get out of here.”
 
Edward grabs my wrist and pulls me out of the room. I point to the escape door in the back and he hurries us through.
 
Glancing back I catch sight of Renesmee leading the others out, Jacob remains behind to stall. I yank Edward to a stop and let them pass. My sister shoots me a worried look but I just smile back at her. The russet wolf known as Jacob bursts through the used to be closed door. Behind him is a bored looking Marcus.
 
Jacob turns back into a vampire and staggers to his feet, something I've never seen him do. “Get out of here now!”
 
Marcus merely shrugs and loads another bullet into his gun. “I wish I could. But if I do Aro will surely kill me for it, not that I care, however I prefer to live another day.”
 
He pulls back on the trigger and lets it soar.
 
Jacob's much faster than that though. He transforms into a raven and flies high into the air. Next to me, Edward pushes me behind him as he pounces forward.
 
In an instant he has me out of the way while he sits on top Marcus. Edward holds the gun to his supposed friend's temple.
 
“Why are you doing this?”
 
Silence…
 
“What's going to make you stop this Marcus? Is it the fact that Aro will kill you if you don't?”
 
Not saying a word Marcus lays his hand over Edward's and pushes the gun closer to his head.
 
“Let me leave…I don't care anymore. Just don't on me Edward, get rid of Aro.”
 
Edward must have forgotten that he's a vampire because he doesn't move fast enough.
 
Marcus forces him to pull the trigger and the bullet lodges itself inside his head, instant kill. Blood spatters all over Edward's right arm but it doesn't faze him. Cautiously I move to his side and walk him around the corner away from the mess.
 
“Edward are you okay? Speak to me please?”
 
His eyes seem to darken as he pulls away from me. “N-No I'm not okay. J-Just leave me alone. If it wasn't for you my friends would still be alive. I love you Bella I just…resent all of this at the same time.”
 
Before I can even try to help he turns to mist and teleports away from me.
 
Now look what I've done. I can never do anything right nowadays. Why does fate love proving me wrong all the time. I shouldn't have gotten Edward involved in the first place. This is all my fault…
 
Jacob wraps me in his arms, “It'll be okay I promise. Go after him, as much as he says he wants to be alone he doesn't mean it. He's confused just as we all were.”
 
I give a curt nod before taking off in the direction I'm sure he'll be going. First I'll check the mansion, my house, and his house, if he's anywhere besides that then it's the secret alcove in the forest.
 
Renesmee will keep Jasper and Rosalie safe with her while Jacob makes round with Em and Alice. I just hope that my family understands what's going on. They'll be heading to our hideaway waiting for me to return with Edward in tow.
 
However I don't think it will be that easy. I have a bad feeling that I might be back when they expect me. Surely after a few hours they will come after us but besides that they'll give me privacy.
 
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
 
I let the moon fully wash over me. I've been searching for a while now. Maybe an hour or so with no luck at all. I had gone as far as searching the city just to see if by chance he is mingling with humans. I knew it was farfetched but I chased the idea anyway. After I had received no answer at Edward's residence I decided that I have one place left.
 
As I jog down the road, trying not to attract the attention of late night drivers, my mind goes through panic waves.
 
If I don't get to him soon I might be too late. Since he's a vampire like us now he is most likely a target for Aro, now that we know that man is heartless beyond a doubt. I pray with all my might that Aro does not know about the niche in the vegetation. I can't lose Edward…not after all this has happened.
 
Sprinting into the recess I stop immediately at his presence.
 
“How do you know about this place Aro?”
 
The man chuckles, “I showed it too Edward when we were little. I'm not surprised he's told you though, vampires manipulate their prey.”
 
“He's not my prey!”
 
“Oh that's right, you turned him didn't you? Against his will as well if I'm not mistaken. But it's all a joyous occasion how you came here.”
 
“Bella? What are you doing here?”
 
I spin around and our eyes connect instantly. “Edward, I came to get you so we could talk.”
 
“He's done all his talking with me,” states Aro.
 
I ignore him and keep myself faced toward Edward, giving him all my attention. “Please come back with me and I can help you. I know how you feel…”
 
A smile graces his lips once more, “…Of course I'm going with you.”
 
Aro snarls, “Wrong choice my friend.”
 
I hear the click of metal and I pivot back toward Aro just in time for the bullet to crash into the body.