Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ Huntress of the Night ❯ In The Inn ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Honestly Owen, do you have to be that ignorant around strangers?" Alexiel scolded as she released her hair from a bun.

"Ignorant!?! I'll have you know Alexiel, that I'm not the one who just attacked our competition!"

"Competition or not, he broke my concentration on trying to spot the vampire."

"So what? We should at least go back to-oh! Hello D."

"D!?!" the huntress whirled around to see the tall hunter standing by the counter.

Owen stepped up to the counter in front of D, "Welcome D, my father's not around so I'm in charge for tonight. What can I do for you?"

".……………………&# 8230;….I need a room."

Owen paused, "Uhh………………..no can do D. All the rooms but one are full, and that room is Alexiel's and mine. But I think we can squeeze you in for tonight."

Alexiel's jaw dropped, "Owen Parker, don't you dare."

"What? No harm in that. There's three beds, he can sleep in our room too," the Innkeeper's son then raised an eyebrow in mischief. "And if you won't let him…….I'll tell him your full name."

Alexiel showed no expression.

"I think I can already guess who she is………………Alexiel Dracula Jr... …………….the daughter of Count Dracula."

"That's Count Vlad Tepes Dracula..……………….and I am not everything the rumors say I am."

"I see..……………….so you are not full vampire?"

She shook her head, "No I am not."

"Then what are you?"

"I don't have to tell you that now do I?"

"What about that fight two nights ago with the Barberoy?"

Alexiel refused to answer that one.

"True. She did fight that big group," Owen explained. "But she did get hurt. Hell, she was close to getting her ass kicked."

"Hey, don't forget what they also said was true. Only 2 escaped alive."

"2 out of 47 I think."

"47???" Lefty freaked out again, "Whoa! You must be very strong to defeat 45 Barberoy on your own!"

Owen jerked his head around from all sides possible. "Who said that? Where did it come from?"

Alexiel still had expression on her face. Her eyes fixed on D; midnight orbs locked at the other dunpeal. She sensed two dark presences in the room excluding herself. She knew of his 'companion' and trailed her eyes down to his left hand.

"You are the other voice we've been hearing I believe," her voice was cold when she spoke.

Owen gave her one of the 'what the hell?' expressions then looked at D.

D kept his usual expression, "Yes, he is. He is my left hand. A so-called 'gift' from my father."

"And whom might your father be, D?"

D didn't answer.

Owen looked back and forth from the two pale hunters. He had a feeling if he didn't but in it could get ugly.

"Well, if it's alright with you two I think we should get to sleep if we're gonna cover some ground in the morning."

~*~*~*~*~

Owen passed out after twenty minutes when everyone headed up to the room. D just sat on his bed. The Innkeeper's son was right, there were three beds. One bed by the window, one bed in a very dark corner, and one by the door. Of course D got the corner one. Owen didn't care where he slept. And Alexiel had the bed by the window. She wasn't asleep either; she sat in the center of her bed and stared out at the moon. D paid no attention to her and she did the same.

After a while Alexiel glanced over at D, she hardly saw his face because of his hat but that didn't stop her from sensing the vampiric darkness within him. He was more than just an ordinary dunpeal, but she wasn't too sure who he truly was.

And so, she decided to do something she hated doing: try to get him into a conversation.

"Why did want to know what I am?" she asked in a firm voice.

D looked up at her. //She's not my sister// he thought to himself bitterly.

"Because there's a dark energy inside of you," he answered. "You're not a human."

"I never said I was did I?"

".…………..No..………̷ 0;…….you didn't."

The darkness within the hunter was nearly driving Alexiel crazy with curiosity.

"You are related to my father....………………….aren't you?"

D narrowed his eyes at the huntress. He was beginning to get annoyed by her chatter even though their conversation hadn't lasted at least three minutes yet.

"He's not your father."

Midnight eyes turned black as she glared at D. "I'm aware of that. But by blood or by adoption he is still my father!" she said very coldly.

//Adoption?// D thought, //I suppose that does explain it since I don't sense one ounce of my father in her blood//

Alexiel turned away from D and back at the moon.

D sighed for once. He took off his hat then looked back up at Alexiel. Black hair flowed down in straight strands down to her lower back. The moon reflected a light glow off of her already pale skin. She was clad in a white silk, sleeveless dress. It wasn't what she was wearing earlier so expected it was her nightdress. Her face showed a combination of anger and heartbreak at once.

"I didn't upset you that much did I?" D spoke again.

"It's not you.………………..it's him. All my life I've believed I was his child, I've thought I was a vampire. Until one day when I was 16 I discovered the truth. He's not my father, that I'm also a dunpeal. And yet, I still carry the name Dracula with me." Alexiel kept her eyes on the moon for a second then looked back at D. "I know you may seem it's pathetic for a dunpeal to get upset over something like this. But dunpeal or not I'm still a girl."

D shook his head; "You're right about me believing it's foolish for a dunpeal to get upset over this. But you are also right that you are still a girl at heart. And, if you're not 16, how old are you?"

"Since you now know I'm a dunpeal, I'm 2076 years old."

Alexiel began to settle into bed. She had enough talking for one night.

"Well, I'm going to sleep. Sorry for talking to you. It seems like the both of us are not the talkative type."

A small grin snuck across D's face, "And it seems you're right again."

~*~*~*~*~