Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ For A Life Together ❯ Rebuilding In Depression ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]




Merle pounced around the palace, marveling at how everything has been the last three months. Fanelia was growing quite nicely. The King was helping out the people and his men in town by aiding them with encouragement, food and water. They were all pushing for a new Fanelia; A new home for their families. He had addressed other countries about their current state and asked for their assistance. They had gladly helped with Asturia and Freid being the major countries to abet with expenses and nourishment for the people of Fanelia.

Currently, Merle was on her way to see Lord Van, to wake him up for the busy day ahead of him. She knew everything that he had to do like having meetings with his generals and others, speaking about the defenses, costs and loans. If he kept up with the steady progress of rebuilding his country, then they should be completed within the year. Yet... she did not want to wake him. She knew him better than anyone and knew that Van was hurting, emotionally and physically.

She rounded the corner seeing no one was in the hall that wasn't a guard. Ever since she left, Hitomi, Van made it seem as though everything was all right; That he could live without her. Van may have been able to fool others but not her. She wasn't blind and his heart still ached for her. Sometimes, he would space out, idly playing with the pendant around his neck, appearing very depressed. Merle would also hear him whisper the blonds' name on more than one occasion. Though it pains her to know that he loves her, she only wishes for the best, for him to feel alive and well. But that will only happen if she's here.

One part of her hates Hitomi for being so cruel to him; for leaving him here alone and taking his heart with her. That was so insensitive and Merle knew that he would never see her again. She was so far away and yet he still craves for her being, for her love. But then she couldn't hate Hitomi either. If she never came, then Gaea would have been taken over by Zaibach and ruled by Dornkirk. She would have never changed Van like she had, opening him up to his feelings and for him to express them more freely; Helped everyone out with her amazing caring abilities, her love and powers. Hitomi even helped her out, alleviating her pain and helping her deal with her emotions; Her fear of Van getting hurt and possibly dying in battle. Though Merle was mean to her and told her to stay away from him, she still held on to the little cat girl and whispered soothingly in her ear. For that, she could never hate her. She cared for her, she loved Hitomi but what she did to Van... She should have known! Should have realized that it was never going to work out between them. Hitomi knew that she was going to have to return to the Mystic Moon, to her own world. Yet, she did not acknowledge that fact and fell in love with him; Letting him fall in love with her too. It all could have been prevented and now, Lord Van was enduring the inevitable cost of her absence and the fact that he will never see her again. He will never feel her in his arms.

Van was starving himself and not getting enough sleep. Well, he wasn't doing it on purpose but he just kept saying that he wasn't hungry. He'd lost his appetite. It was amazing that he even did rest sometimes. It was probably because he would tire himself out to where he could do nothing but collapse in exhaustion. He would usually stay up and practice his swordsmanship in all hours of the night. She would catch him staring up at the sky, watching the Mystic Moon and thinking of her. Merle had to bring him his food and hound him to eat properly. She knew that it was only going to get worse but his mind was set one her.

Merle slowed her steps and glanced out a window over looking all of Fanelia. The sun was high, looking down at the rebuilding country with beautiful white, puffy clouds accenting the blue sky above. The two moons stayed overhead in the distance as they always did. She ran her hand through her pink bangs, pushing them back and away from her kittenish features.

Van said that he would never love another like he did Hitomi. There wasn't anyone else in the world that could compare to her beauty, her tenderness and compassion; To the wonderful person that she is. Being some what of a little sister to him, she knew that he would never love her in any other way except that of unconditional love of a sibling. She had to face it but it wouldn't stop her from tending to his needs and taking care of him. Merle wanted him well but he would not listen to her and her instructions to keep his well-being. She sighed and continued on to her Majesty's bedchambers, dwelling on her thoughts of all she cared for.

~~*~~