Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ A Burning Question ❯ Chapter 4

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

If I have to be nice…or at least, not openly violent towards one more member of the screaming cheer squad, they are ALL going to end up skewered on my katana. Oh my God, I am going to kill Kudoh- his suggestive attitude is infecting me and some little voice in my mind, which sounds suspiciously like his measuredly careless drawl, is making inappropriate innuendo from that. Ugh, terrible. They're all far too young, and they're fangirls; `girls' being the operative word there.
 
 
“Hey Aya, I know you're scary and all, but you're not gonna win a staring contest with the wall. It's even more unmovable than you, hahaha!!”
 
 
Hidaka is unusually brave this afternoon. He often won't try baiting me unless Kudoh begins first. The coward; he should stop hiding behind the other coward. Assholes, both of them. Especially Kudoh. I swear that he must have slipped something into my food or drink. I never would have become so agreeable towards him otherwise. And yet, here I am, watching the clock and mentally calculating how long I have to stew until I can get this horrid appointment out of the way. Hmm, let's see; will Hidaka shriek, freeze or bolt when I turn my scowl to him?
 
 
“A~ya? Are you listen~ing? You…fuck!”
 
 
Huh. I can't say that I was anticipating this- his voice broke as he screeched the curse, all whilst turning to disappear back into the greenhouse! I never knew that he could multitask like that. It's all highly unfortunate, though- I have unresolved anger and no good target at which to direct it. Well, a larger amount of unresolved anger than usual. Where's Kudoh? I'm sure that I can find something that he has done wrong.
 
 
“Well, it's my…'professional opinion' that you should certainly buy the hibiscus. A beautiful flower for a beautiful woman. Would you like me to organise an arrangement using these?”
 
 
What a brainless woman, tittering over one of Kudoh's less-inspired flirting attempts. Usually he wouldn't be so obvious about the flowers he chooses. I was originally surprised that he knew Victorian floriography, but it was quickly made clear that it was learnt only to further his pathetic seduction attempts. Of course, it's typical that he would learn the western language, rather than our own Japanese model. Which is why I'm always left to prepare more traditional arrangements; along with the fact of the formal Ikebana training I received…earlier.
 
 
“KUDOH! You're needed to run the deliveries, so make this quick!”
 
 
An overreaction? No. It's the truth- he has to take the arrangements out and deliver them. I cannot help it if his cover job is getting in the way of his endless female chasing. It's just coincidence that he was being ridiculously flirty when he was needed.
 
 
“Alright, Aya, I get the picture! No need to scream like that. Y'know, actually, what would look good in that arrangement you're doing? A hydrangea or two. It would suit…just like it suits you.”
 
 
Hydrangea? Oh, that bastard! As insults go, that's pretty tame, but the fact that he's using a language which only we understand…it almost hurts. Omi only knows a little about floral meanings, and we mostly use Hidaka for manual labour around the store, so coded discussions using flowers are limited to Kudoh and myself. He deserves nothing more than a sneer for that comment. But he isn't looking; he has already turned back to the hussy he was dealing with earlier. I have better things to do than stand around here, watching Kudoh twist idiotic bimbos around his little finger.
 
 
“Actually, ignore that. I'm going to do the deliveries myself, so that you can't screw them up. Again. Stay here and watch the store, and if you close early you'll be making up the time tomorrow morning. As well as the 2 hours you missed this morning because you were hung over.”
 
 
That's it; we're not going out tonight. He can fuck himself if he thinks that I'm spending voluntary time with him. Yet another reason why I refuse to go beyond a strained acquaintanceship with that man- he could almost be considered enjoyable to look at, but the moment he opens his mouth, I just want to make him swallow his teeth. Especially with the stupid look currently on his face- it's like he thinks that he doesn't DESERVE to be yelled at. What an ignorant prat.
 
 
“Whatever you say, Captain Wolfsbane. And don't worry, I'll stay open. Omi'll be here in a minute, and he'll want me to stick it out `til closing. Go do your precious deliveries, I'll hold down the fort.”
 
 
Alright, it's decided- I'm never going to spend any time alone with him voluntarily ever again. He's such an asshole! A rude, narcissistic, gorgeous, self-absorbed, infuriating ASSHOLE! Yes, that fairly well sums him up. Except…oh, shit...I didn't really think that one in the middle, did I?
 
 
******
 
 
Thank fuck, it's finally closing time. The after-school fangirl swarm was out in full force; but at least Aya's fangirls left when he did. He's acting really bizarrely lately…it's almost been like he has PMS today, hahaha! Especially when he got back from deliveries, shot me a level 5 glare, and then stomped off up the stairs. Probably wants to spend the next few hours looking in the mirror so that he's perfect for tonight, hahaha yep, I'm sure that's it. IF he hasn't decided to back out of our deal. But if he has, then I'm going to make his life absolute Hell until I get what I want.
 
 
“Goodbye, see you again! Thanks for coming by!...Hey, I know those ankles: it's Manx!”
 
 
Fuck, shit, crap, FUCK! I swear, this woman has the absolute worst sense of timing that I've ever seen. Why, out of all the days in the week, must we have a mission tonight? That red demoness does this on purpose, I'm sure of it. Kritiker probably have this place bugged, and heard what I was planning with Aya. They're determined to ruin my life. I don't know when I'll be able to drag the ice prince away from this place now; just great. Can't these friggin' Dark Beasts take one night off? Oh well, I suppose I should let her in. Manx'll probably shoot me if I close the grate on her, and I'd like to live another day. But if she thinks that I'm going to flirt with her tonight, she's wrong- and I know the bitch secretly loves it. After all, who doesn't want Kudoh Yohji to fawn over them?
 
 
******
 
 
It's a fairly simple mission, for sure. Usually I'd be annoyed at having such an easy, low-paying job, but for once this isn't about money. It's about getting through tonight without having to spend recreational time with Kudoh, the idiotic brat. And all I have to do is walk in, through the front door, no less, remove two guards, and then shield Omi whilst he steals information about some largely irrelevant topic. The other two have even less to do, mainly watching the perimeter of the building to keep anyone who isn't supposed to die out. The estimated time for completion is 45 minutes, but the mission location is some generic city 4 hours away. I wonder when they're going to make us leave…
 
 
“So, in order to give you four enough time to prepare at the location, you will leave tonight. As accommodation is necessary for this mission, Kritiker has taken the liberty of preparing covers for you and rooms at separate hotels. Bombay and Siberian, you will be posing as brothers. Your hotel is a minute or so away from that of Abyssinian and Balinese. You two, due to certain unavoidable circumstances and difficulties, shall be posing as lovers. Now, when the...”
 
 
Her smug voice has faded out, with the roaring in my ears overtaking any outside sound. This is easily the single most ridiculous cover story I have ever heard, and there HAS to be some easier way in which to pass off our stay as legitimate. I will NOT be staying in a room with Kudoh, one of us will not make it back out alive. And, considering the strengths and weaknesses of out weapons, I would be the one walking out in the morning. It'll save Kritiker the hassle of covering up the dead body in the room, and the time to find another Weiss member, if I demand a new cover and arrangements.
 
 
“This is ludicrous. There has to be a better way for Balinese and I to stay without raising suspicions. This cover has several flaws that will cause it to be unstable at best. I believe that it will be safer if arrangements are reconfigured.”
 
 
I can see, from my position against the back wall, that Hidaka is shaking with repressed laughter and Omi is suffering from a similar condition. I refuse to look at Kudoh- he certainly would have a look of smug satisfaction on his maddening face. Manx is glaring at me, but there is no real feeling behind it. Her angry looks pale in comparison to my own, especially the one she is currently receiving. However, I will grudgingly admit, the woman has a solid mask. I can usually get the morons around me to pale and twitch with this particular glare. Manx hasn't moved a single muscle; she's good.
 
 
“Abyssinian, it is not in your best interests to question Kritiker's decisions. I happen to know that this particular cover was chosen in case one of you needs to support the other inside due to injury- physical contact is less suspicious under the circumstances of partnership or family. Bombay and Siberian are not too difficult to pass off as relations, but Balinese and yourself are too exotic to pass effectively. Therefore, it was decided that a cover of intimacy was to be used. You cannot reject this mission now, so I suggest that you simply deal with whatever issues you have on your own, and prepare to leave. One group will leave in 30 minutes, and the other an hour after that.”
 
 
This woman almost makes Kudoh seem like a pleasant person to converse with. Almost. I can't believe that I will have to spend two nights alone with that imbecile, especially as his current fancy seems to be trying to get me to open up about my personal life. At least the other three have probably assumed that my issue is with pretending to be gay, rather than having to stay in a small room with a bastard who actually draws emotion from me. At this point in time, it seems that spending two hours out with Kudoh would have been preferable to the torture of the next 36 hours. Thank God, Manx is finished briefing those who were actually listening, and is heading out. Naturally, Kudoh has jumped up to escort her. Looks like the flirtatious attitude he wasn't sporting towards her earlier has made an appearance.
 
 
“Allow me to let you out, Manx. We'll report back to you tomorrow, my lovely Lady in Red!”
 
 
Sickening. Positively sickening. He wasn't being nice when he thought this mission would obstruct my approaching inquisition by his hand; now, though, he's suddenly making nice with that evil banshee. This wouldn't have anything to do with our upcoming few days, now would it? Something out there wants me to suffer- I suppose that being an incredibly good assassin banks you up quite an amount of negative Karma. I don't get paid well enough for this shit.
 
 
******
 
 
Yes! Yes, this is absolutely perfect! Thankyou, whichever spirit is looking after me, I'm forever in your debt! Aya is mine, totally stuck with me away from his solitude here! Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!! Although, it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to get himself killed on this mission…
 
 
******
******
 
 
Victorian flower language:
- Hibiscus: Rare or delicate beauty
- Hydrangea: Heartlessness, frigidness
- Wolfsbane: Misanthropy
(I took these from Wikipedia out of sheer laziness; I know that different areas sometimes have different meanings for the same flowers)
 
 
And thanks to my mate Afghanistan for helping me get through a loss of where to go next.