X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Not Over Yet ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 9

Fuuma was going to be waking up any minute now. There were so many things Kamui wanted to tell him, but did not know how to start. All that he knew for sure was that he had missed Fuuma, A LOT. Holding him like this was a precious gift.

‘Well I should probably tell him about the situation first. I’ll deal with these other feelings later,’ Kamui thought as he ran his fingers through Fuuma’s dark locks, staring straight ahead at nothing. Kamui was so lost in thought he did not notice when Fuuma began to stir. Fuuma sighed, feeling extremely relaxed. He cracked open one of his golden eyes and he saw the angelic face of Kamui. Wait...Kamui?! Fuuma’s eyes shot open and he quickly sat up as if he had awoken form another nightmare. Kamui was shocked out of his reverie and brought his hands away.

“W-where am I?” Fuuma asked looking around until he noticed Kamui behind him. He jumped away a little.

“It’s okay Fuuma! Its me, Kamui,” Kamui said gently. Fuuma tried to get his breathing under control and looked around again.

“Is this a dream?” Fuuma asked a little shakily.

“No,” Kamui whispered. As if to make sure, Fuuma reached out a tentative hand to touch Kamui’s face. He flinched a little when his fingers met Kamui’s cheek but was relieved to feel the warmth there, the true warmth of another body. No dream could perfectly imitate that feeling. He moved his hand in farther to cup Kamui’s cheek and caress the soft skin with his thumb. Kamui blushed, not sure what to do. He had never received this type of attention from Fuuma before. He was, however, very tempted to lean into the touch and soon found himself doing so, finding it comforting. They stayed like that for a moment, staring at each other.

“How...I mean…what’s going on?” Fuuma whispered. Kamui began to explain to Fuuma how, well basically how the Angel weaseled out of getting himself killed because he had Seishirou and was the only one who could take Subaru to him. This also had to entail giving Fuuma’s body to the Angel.

“You don’t mind do you? I mean, I don’t know how much you know about Subaru-san, but he’s been a wreck ever since Seishirou’s apparent ‘death’. I think he deserves some closure at least.”

“Relax Kamui. I don’t mind at all. Besides, we wouldn’t be able to meet like this if you hadn’t done what you did, right?” Fuuma smiled and brought his hand away from Kamui’s face.

“Right,” Kamui nodded, a little disappointed at the lost contact, but not for long. Fuuma’s eyes were beginning to water, and he suddenly pulled Kamui against him in a tight embrace. Kamui tensed up from the unexpectedness of the gesture, but then relaxed and brought his arms up around Fuuma’s shoulders. They were both crying openly now, both grateful for the comfort they had long sought from each other.

“Oh Kamui...I’ve been so worried about you...I miss you...I-I...”

“Shhh, it’s alright Fuuma. I’m here now. We're here together,” Kamui whispered, trying to console Fuuma, running his hand up and down along the back of Fuuma’s neck. That seemed to make Fuuma settle down some. He sighed and nuzzled his face against Kamui’s shoulder, which earned a smile from Kamui.

‘God, since when have I become so clingy to Kamui? He IS all I have left…and it's so nice to be able to hold him like this in my arms...to feel him....God, Kamui...you mean so much to me. I never realized....just how much I need you. There is so much I want to say to you…but I don't know how to begin...’ Kamui was just as lost as Fuuma, so they stayed embracing each other as they were, enjoying the warmth and letting their tears fall. Eventually Kamui spoke up once they both managed to recompose themselves.

“Did you have a bad dream recently Fuuma?” Kamui asked, remembering the spontaneous battle earlier.

“Hm? No, I don’t think so. Why? Was there another fight?”

“Yeah. I guess it didn’t affect you because you were in here while it happened,” Kamui said pulling away form Fuuma to looking into his face, however not removing his arms. “Maybe you should get some sleep while you’re in here. Heaven knows you need it and there would be no risks of nightmares in here.” Fuuma smiled.

“No thanks. I think I’d rather spend this time with you, if you don’t mind,” Fuuma said while laying his head down on Kamui’s chest and breathing in his scent. He closed his eyes momentarily, enjoying the exquisite feeling of Kamui’s fingers running through his hair as Kamui pulled him even closer.

“Not at all, Fuuma,” Kamui sighed happily, holding Fuuma close and never wanting to let go.

“Kamui?"

"Hm?" Fuuma took a deep breath before finishing.

"Kamui....I want...to thank you for everything you’ve done to protect me. You've been through so much because of me..heh...kind of ironic though...I was supposed to protect you,” Fuuma laughed bitterly.

“Hey, don’t worry about that Fuuma. We both kinda broke our promises. If you can forgive me, then I can definitely forgive you,” Kamui smiled.

“Mm, alright,” then he paused for a moment, “I’m so sorry Kamui. If I weren’t so weak, I may have been able to help you better through this mess...I-”

“Shh, what’s done is done. Don’t blame yourself Fuuma, I don’t,” Kamui said trying to comfort Fuuma, knowing he probably felt more guilt than he should because his dreams kept reminding him.

“How can you just so easily forgive me!? If it weren’t for me…you wouldn’t have...you would...I mean...you might still be alive!” Fuuma declared, sitting up abruptly, tears shining in his eyes.

“Fuuma!” Kamui cried, wanting to reassure both himself and Fuuma that this was the way it had to be. This time Kamui leaned himself onto Fuuma’s shoulder, clutching his shirt in his hands, sobbing, “Please don’t say that. I told you, I don’t blame you far anything. It wasn’t your fault! This was our destiny. Who knows what would’ve happened otherwise. So please, stop blaming yourself. You’ll drive yourself crazy like that.”

“But why Kamui? Why are you doing all of this…just for me?” Fuuma cried, putting his arms protectively around him, trying to give back some of the comfort Kamui showed him.

“Why? Because...because...I care a lot about you Fuuma. I couldn’t let anything happen to you,” Kamui replied quietly. Fuuma rested his head atop Kamui’s.

“I care a lot about you too Kamui. I don’t want you to get hurt. It’s been torture not knowing what’s been going on with you. More so than when I thought you were dead. I mean, something could happen to you in here and I wouldn’t even know it unless the Dragon of Earth decided to take over. That really scares me,” Fuuma murmured.

“I’m sorry Fuuma. I should have been paying closer attention to you,” Kamui said removing one of his hands from Fuuma’s shirt to try and dry his eyes.

“It’s alright. I know it’s not the easiest thing in the world to come and see me. I understand,” Fuuma said pulling back to look Kamui straight in the face. They smiled at each other.

“Don’t worry, I’ll try and do better with that. Believe me, if I had it my way I wouldn't leave you for a second,” Kamui blurted burying his face into Fuuma’s shoulder once again. Fuuma in turn smiled and pulled him closer, wishing for the same thing.

“Kamui....Do you think...I'll ever...be able to see you again?...you know...in real life...outside of here?” Fuuma asked tensing a bit.

“I have no idea Fuuma. I really don’t,” Kamui sniffled. Fuuma did not say anything and merely continued to hold Kamui as close to him as he could.

And so they stayed that way, locked in embrace. Savoring the little time they had together.

A.N.: Wow. That was a little angstier than planned ^^; Oh well, next we have the long awaited reunion of Subaru and Seishirou. I’ll try and get it up as soon as I can. Review if you want to!

ff.net reviewers:

chris pwure: Thanx for your reviews! Glad you like how the story is going and the characters ^__^ I’ll try and update soon!

Feye Morgan: It makes me so happy to know you love this fic so much! Makes me want to write more and more! Sorry the S/S stuff isn’t in this chapter ^^; Next one, I promise! I’m glad you liked the bickering. I was nervous about people’s reaction to it ^^ I need to work more on characterizing the Angel better. Is he going to try something? Guess you’ll have to wait and find out! Hope you liked the chapter!

fara: Thanx for your review. Yeah, the swearing was a little unexpected. But you know, an unexpected reaction for an unexpected event ^^; Hope you come back and read more!

Liviania: Hope you like their “quality time” together ^_~ Glad you like my fic!

Thanks again everyone!