X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Not Over Yet ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 10

The trip to the Dragon of Earth Headquarters was relatively silent. Subaru, for the most part, seemed lost in a world of his own and had a determined look on his face. The Angel decided that he would leave him alone, being in a slightly good mood at the prospect of having control of a body once again.

‘Oh the possibilities…’ the Angel thought. A smirk found itself upon his face, unnoticed by Subaru.

‘Seishirou-san...It’s been so long since I’ve last seen him...No matter what I do, I can’t seem to stop thinking about him…him and his last words…Perhaps I’ll finally have the chance to understand why he did what he did,’ Subaru thought as they winded through the many halls of the Headquarters.

“In here,” the Dark Kamui said as he opened the door to a dark chamber. Inside were the two hospital beds. The faint beeping of machinery could be heard in the background. The Dark Kamui stepped aside and motioned to the one where Seishirou lay. Subaru, however, was frozen in place by shock.

‘My God…it’s really true…’ Subaru thought as his eyes concentrated on Seishirou’s rising and falling chest, proof that he was, in fact, alive. Subaru finally made his way over to Seishirou’s side and kneeled down. He brought one of Seishirou’s hands up to his cheek as he let his tears fall. He noted the look on Seishirou’s sleeping face.
‘He looks so peaceful…did my “killing” him really bring him that much peace?’ The Dragon of Earth moved to the opposite side of Seishirou’s bed.

“All you need to do is go Within him and wake him up. As of right now he doesn’t realize that he’s still alive,” the Dark Kamui stated. Subaru merely nodded. Subaru took a few moments for some mental preparation.

“Ok…it’s now or never I suppose…why am I so hesitant? I want to see him…I want to know why…perhaps I’m afraid of the answer…but I’ll never know unless I go see him.’ With that, Subaru released his hold of Seishirou’s hand. He placed his forehead atop Seishirou’s and placed both of his hands at the sides of his face. Once again, he chanted the spell to go Within. The Dark Kamui watched him go.

‘Finally…maybe now I can get something accomplished,’ he thought as he stood up and walked to the other hospital bed.



Subaru did not have much trouble breaking through Seishirou’s mental defenses. After all, a dead man need not worry about something like mental defenses now, would he? Soon he found the landscape of Seishirou’s subconscious. Once again, the atmosphere was darkness but other than that it looked like Ueno Park. Subaru easily found his way to Seishirou’s particular tree. It was full in blossom and sakura petals were gently raining down. At the base of the tree was none other than Seishirou. His body was slumped against the tree and it almost looked unnatural. However he still had that peaceful look on his face. Subaru was almost afraid to disturb him. Never the less, Subaru walked up to Seishirou’s body and kneeled down. He placed one of his hands on Seishirou’s shoulders and gently shook him. He took a deep breath before he spoke, trying to calm down.

“S-Seishirou-san?…Seishirou-san…wake up…can you hear me?” Subaru shook him a bit more forcefully. “Seishirou-san…please wake up…it’s me, Subaru.” Seishirou seemed to respond a little to hearing Subaru’s name. Seishirou’s mouth twitched a little, then slightly opened his good eye. “Are you awake?” Subaru asked gently, not sure how long he could hold out before he started crying.

“………mm…Subaru-kun?” Seishirou whispered sleepily. That was it; Subaru’s tears fell uncontrollably. Seishirou began to wake up a bit more, slightly concerned at the sight of his beloved Subaru-kun crying. After all, he was dead. Why was he seeing Subaru-kun? Not that he was complaining. He felt a surge of excitement shoot through him when he saw Subaru. He would not say it out loud but he knew he would miss Subaru terribly when he “died”. “Subaru-kun?…What on earth are you doing here?…” Seishirou paused to slowly take in their surroundings. “Where are we? Subaru-kun?” Subaru tried to compose himself enough to speak. He took another deep breath, wishing he had a cigarette or something that could help calm him down.

“We…are Within you right now. It seems as though the Dark Kamui brought you back for some reason and healed you, but didn’t awaken you…uhm…you’re still alive Seishirou-san.” Seishirou was wide-awake now. He blinked a few times.

“What do you mean ‘still alive’? I remember quite clearly when…” Seishirou decided to stop there, so as to not further upset Subaru. “How exactly was I revived?” Seishirou asked gently.

“Oh well, uhm…the Dark Kamui said he used Nataku’s regenerative powers to heal the wound,” Subaru replied a little shakily, not able to quite look Seishirou in the eyes yet. Seishirou, while he did not show it openly, was quite surprised. He had never accounted for something like this to happen. He was supposed to be dead. And yet here he was, perfectly healthy. Well he could not exactly tell that since he was Within, but Subaru being here was evidence enough that he still remained in the world of the living. Seishirou turned his attention to Subaru. He was currently trying to control his tears, looking everywhere but Seishirou’s direction.

‘How am I going to deal with this turn of events? I was not prepared to meet Subaru-kun again after I told him how I felt…fate is either with me or against me…either I have a second chance to be with Subaru-kun…or this is some sort of punishment.’ A multitude of emotions were boiling up inside Seishirou. It was rather pointless to mask any of them now. He had said how he felt and he could not take it back. Not that he wanted to, but he did not know how this would affect Subaru. If there were anything that Seishirou was not prepared for, it would be a broken heart or any other sort of real emotional pain.

“Subaru-kun?”

“Yes?” Subaru asked, still not meeting his eyes.

“Well I’m sure that you’re going to want some explanations from me,” Seishirou said gently, the beginnings of a smile on his face.

“Yes,” Subaru finally turned and looked Seishirou in the eyes, “but I want you to be completely honest with me. No more lies Seishirou-san, please.”

“Alright Subaru-kun. There isn’t much I could lie to you about anyways.” And that was true. He was through lying to his Subaru-kun.

“Your last words to me…” Seishirou knew that was going to be the first thing Subaru brought up.

“Yes, Subaru-kun. I don’t know if you completely heard me but… they were true…I really do…love you.” The last part was barely audible.

“Is that so hard for you to say?” Subaru’s anger was becoming apparent.

“Yes. Well it was anyway. As long as I was the Sakurazukamori, I wasn’t supposed to have emotions. For the Sakurazukamori to say something like that and mean it is unheard of. But now, I don’t mind telling you that I love you, …but saying that seems to upset you.” Subaru looked away.

“It upsets me…because I’ve waited so long for you…to say those words to me. And when you finally did decide to tell me, it was before you “died”. Right before I thought I had lost you forever. Why Seishirou-san? Why did you want to die? Why did you let me “kill” you? Would loving me be so horrible? Were you afraid of my response? I-I just don’t understand…” This time Seishirou looked away.

“I thought your wish…was to kill me, and my wish…was to be killed by the one I loved most. So, I assumed I would be granting both of our wishes. I figured that would make you happy. Because I would have been gone and I would not be able to hurt you anymore.” Seishirou paused for a moment. “I knew you wouldn’t be able to kill me yourself, so I activated Hokuto-chan’s spell. You’re far too kind Subaru-kun.” Seishirou looked up and gave a slight smile. Subaru made a noise of disgust at being called kind.

“That…really wasn’t my wish you know. But, I know I gave that impression to you…honestly, I just wanted your attention…to think of me as more than just an object…” Subaru sobbed.

“Do you…still love me? Even after all of this…” Seishirou whispered, almost afraid of the answer he would get.

“……Yes…I do…” Subaru whispered back.

“Why? How can you?”

“I-I don’t know. I can’t help whom I love. All I know is that I still do. Otherwise I wouldn’t be here right now…”Subaru looked into Seishirou’s mismatched eyes. His expression was unreadable, as always.

“But don’t you hate me?”

“Of course I hate you!” Subaru suddenly yelled, “You made me fall in love with you then you killed my sister and told me you didn’t feel anything for me and left. Then after nine years, nine long years, we met again and finally decide to tell me you do, in fact, love me and then made me kill you and also forced your job on me!” Seishirou was taken aback a little, but understood Subaru’s reaction was justified. “But still….through all of that…I still…I guess my love is stronger than my hate. Probably because the hate is mostly for myself and not you. I hate myself for loving you so much…but there’s nothing I can do…” Subaru broke into sobs, bringing his hands to his face. Seishirou pulled the Sumeragi in for a comforting embrace, using one arm to hold him close and the other to smooth out the back of the Subaru’s hair. Subaru clutched Seishirou’s trench coat in his fists and muffled his sobs into Seishirou’s shoulder. “Oh Seishirou-san…I’m just so confused…I don’t know what to do…”

Seishirou felt an extreme sense of guilt overcome him. He honestly did not know how strong emotions could truly be, or how much pain and turmoil they could bring about. He was taught to suppress any emotions and had years of experience at masking them that it was almost instinct. But this guilt he felt was so immense. He told Subaru he loved him. That had been hard enough for him to unearth. Every time he tried to cover up his love for Subaru, it was if there was some nagging feeling in the back of his mind. But when he figured it out it was like a weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. And after admitting it, he realized that it had always been true, ever since he lost his eye for him. He was just too proud to admit it. How could he incur such pain on someone he loved? And what made it worse was the fact that Subaru still loved him back, even after everything. It was overwhelming. He could not cover up this feeling even if he tried.

“Subaru-kun…can you ever forgive me?” Subaru gasped. “Subaru-kun…I…I’m so…sorry…for everything I’ve done to you. I had no idea that things would turn out this way. I don’t have much knowledge in the way of emotions. If I were only able to realize my own feelings sooner, you wouldn’t be in such a state. Honestly I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t forgive me. Subaru-kun…I’m so sorry.” Subaru looked up.

“Do you really mean that Seishirou-san?” he asked, mismatched eyes meeting mismatched eyes. Seishirou rested his forehead atop Subaru’s, as if he wanted some comfort. Subaru’s cheeks turned slightly pink.

“Yes of course I do. I don’t want to hurt you anymore. I love you…Please…forgive me,” Subaru thought about it. Seishirou was actually apologizing. Heck, he almost looked as if he was going to cry. It must have taken him a lot to actually do it, but he deserved it no less. Seishirou had put him through so much in his lifetime; then again, he did not fully understand what he was doing. There was so much to take into account. But, when he came down to it, what really mattered was that Seishirou loved him and Subaru loved him back. They could work through their differences in time. Besides, he almost lost Seishirou once; he sure as heck was not going to lose him again.

“This isn’t really something that can be forgiven with a simple ‘I’m sorry’,” Subaru began to say. Seishirou was almost afraid of what was going to come next. “But…I believe…that in time…I could forgive you…as long as you promise that you’ll never leave me again…I’m…so lost…without you.” Subaru let a small smile grace his features. Seishirou moved his face closer so that their lips were almost touching.

“I think I can manage that. Don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere, without you anyways.” Seishirou smiled and let out a mental sigh of relief. Then he closed the distance and placing a gentle kiss on those ever enticing lips of Subaru’s. It was just a simple kiss, one that ended far too soon in both of their minds. Subaru had an adorable blush on his cheeks as he pulled away from the kiss. “Have I ever told you how cute you are Subaru-kun?” Seishirou whispered in Subaru’s ear. The contact made Subaru shiver which only made Seishirou’s smile bigger.

“It’s been so long, I think you better remind me.” Seishirou chuckled. Subaru rested his head under Seishirou’s and sighed. Seishirou had his arms protectively around Subaru as he cradled him. They still had a lot of matters to straighten out, but opted to hold each other instead, as if making up for all the time they wasted to get this far.


A.N.: Man! O_o That was REALLY hard! Ungh..it took me so long to come up with that…so how was it? Good? Bad? Ugly? Tell me in a review…man I’m gonna really need to work on that if I want to do future fanfics…but practice makes perfect right? ^^;

ff.net reviewers:

Angel Of Reincarnation: Thank you for all of your reviews! ^__^ You flatter me so much ::blushes:: Hope you liked the chapter!

Liviania: Glad you enjoyed the F/K-ness. I’m a sucker for F/K stories too ^^;

chris pwure: Well, here’s the beginning of the S/S-ness for you! Hope you liked it! F/K and S/S forever!!! ^__^

Feye Morgan: GAH! I hoped I lived up to your expectations…I shall be awaiting your review…If I didn’t, I apologize, but this was more difficult than I expected…there are so many things to take into account…I hope I got most of them…this is only the beginning too…so hopefully it will get better. Hehe… no need to worry about their endings…but then again I’m not going to spoil anything either. Guess you’ll hafta wait! (I’m so evil ^^;) Thank you once again for your kind reviews. I always look forward to them ^^ Hope you liked the chappie!

fairy of irrelevence: YAY! More for my collection! ^__^ I’m very curious to see this picture and fanfic! Just for me? You shouldn’t have! Thank you for the reviews! Can’t wait to see the end of “BENT”!

Thanks again! Hopefully it won’t be too long before the next update…I’ll see what I can do…