X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Not Over Yet ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 14


“You’re the Dragon of Heaven?!” Kamui asked bemused, pointing an accusing finger.

“Yup! That I am!” the Dragon of Heaven giggled jumping up into a sitting position, “Surprised?” Kamui nodded dumbly.

“I wasn’t expecting you to be so…cheerful…” The Dragon of Heaven only laughed some more, “Where are we anyway?” Kamui asked looking around.

“Within you silly,” the Seal said cocking his head to the side.

“Huh?! Really?”

“Yeah, it’s just like how it is with Fuuma; the Dragon of Earth lives Within him. It only makes sense that I’d be here.”

“…oh right,” Kamui paused letting the Dragon of Heaven’s words sink in, “So you pulled me in here when I fell asleep? You have the power to do that?”

“Yup!” A rather disturbing thought then occurred to Kamui.

“Does that mean that the Dragon of Earth could do that to Fuuma?” Kamui asked getting a little worried.

“Hmm…Nope! I don’t think so,” the Light Kamui grinned as he swung his legs over the side of the bed, kicking them back and forth.

“But…how so?” Kamui asked in a skeptical tone. The Light Kamui looked at Kamui for a minute but then understood his confusion.

“Oh! Well I know the Dragon of Earth and I are supposed to have most of the same powers but we do have some powers that are unique to us,” the Light Kamui explained.

“Are you going to tell me what they are?” Kamui asked a little exasperated, figuring that the Dragon would have kept talking but noticed that he stopped.

“Why? You wanna know or something?” he giggled. Kamui facefaulted.

“Of course I wanna know! I wanna know about as much of this ‘end of the world’ crap as possible! I thought you would’ve been able to figure that out by now!” Kamui cried throwing his arms in the air.

“Ok, ok geez, calm down,” the Light Kamui laughed reaching out to ruffle Kamui’s hair. Kamui sent him the coldest death glare he could muster and the Light Kamui hastily retracted his hand laughing nervously.

“How can I be calm?! This isn’t something to be calm about! I don’t have time for this. I need information and I need it now! And I also need you to wake up!” he scolded as he shrugged the other Seal’s hand away.

“Oh sure, now you want me to wake up,” the Dragon of Heaven muttered lowly, rolling his eyes.

“What was that?”

“Nothing…” he grinned sheepishly. Kamui narrowed his eyes.

“You’re annoying, you know that?” The Light Kamui burst into a fit of laughter. Kamui wanted to smile but only shook his head and sighed, hoping they would get back on track.

“Anyways…”

“Oh right, my very special abilities…”

“Yes.”

“Well…” the Light Kamui began, dropping his silly attitude for a more thoughtful one, “if you haven’t figured it out already, my unique powers allow me or, as in this case, other people, Within anyone I want. You saw it first hand yourself when you first saved Fuuma, when you forced the Dragon of Earth back.” Kamui nodded.

“And the Angel’s?”

“Well I’m not too certain, but it has something to do with wishes…” the Seal said putting a finger to his lips.

“Oh, of course. The Dark Kamui can see people’s wishes.”

“See! There ya go!” the Seal laughed as he clapped his hands together.

“Hmm…well what good can you do? Your ability doesn’t seem as useful as the Dragon of Earth’s. I mean, he can even change his appearance,” Kamui pointed out, as if it was nothing.

“What!?” the Dragon if Heaven shouted, sounding thoroughly offended.

“Well yeah…” Kamui began but the other Seal cut him off.

“Other than the fact that my abilities are what SAVED. YOUR. FRIEND.” he emphasized loudly.

“Well I know that but…”

“Ah ah, I’m not done yet.” Kamui shut his mouth and folded his arms over his chest. “Do you have any idea of what I could do to a person Within using my power as Kamui?” he said passionately, “Ohoh, some quite unpleasant things I assure you. I could very well lock someone in there forever or totally corrupt their mind and everything they ever knew, or even convert them to my side, to name a few tamer things. And I can do this all at ease without the backlash that an onmyouji would suffer! Yeah, so there,” the Light Kamui huffed. Kamui’s lips twitched almost forming a smile at the Light Kamui’s antics.

“Ok, point proven.”

“Good,” he smiled, “However, when you think about it, our powers aren’t all that different. Both could be manipulated into giving the same results.”

“Yeah…so you can do all of that right now if you wanted? From right here?”

“Heh heh, uhm no. That’s the problem. As you apparently noticed, I haven’t awoken from you yet.”

“Yeah, why is that?” The Dragon of Heaven blinked.

“It’s your own fault you know.”

“My fault?!”

“Yeah,” the Light Kamui said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“But…how?” Kamui was thoroughly confused.

“Well I can’t take over without your consent.”

“Wh-…my consent?” the Light Kamui nodded, “W-why not? The Dragon of Earth didn’t seem to need Fuuma’s consent!”

“Do you want me to take over without your consent?”

“Well, no but…”

“You see, the way me and the Dragon of Earth are brought about are different, because yours and Fuuma’s roles in this are different. You, Kamui, were bestowed with the Choice. Once the Choice has been made, the Kamui that wasn’t chosen has to awaken. The other Kamui awakens when the one given the Choice comes to terms with his Choice and accepts the full powers of ‘Kamui’. That’s the way it works.”

“But…how was I supposed to know? Was it really supposed to happen like this?”

“No…far from it. This has never happened before…”

“What do you mean before? What was supposed to happen then?”

“Well…usually…”

“Usually?! You act as if this has all happened more than once!” Kamui was getting very vexed.

“Calm down, I’ll get to that later. But anyways, what usually happens is something traumatic happens when the first Kamui awakens. This is done purposely so that the one with the Choice goes Within and meets, and ideally accepts, the other Kamui. That’s when the second Kamui awakens. Get it?” Kamui scratched the back of his head.

“Somewhat…”

“Well a similar experience did happen right?” Kamui nodded sadly.

“But I never saw you.”

“I know, you were saved and brought back before I had a chance. Besides, you weren’t letting anyone near you. A lot of your defenses were directed towards me and I could barley get through. You must have a really strong bond with you twin star for it to affect you that bad. Either that or you really hate me!” the Light Kamui faked a sniffle.

“I didn’t even know you were there!” The Dragon of Heaven laughed.

“I know, but you were so scared then. I doubt I would’ve even been able to convince you to let me take over. You were, and still are, even if you weren’t completely aware of it, afraid that what happened to Fuuma could happen to you.” Kamui nodded slowly, knowing that he was right. He remembered thinking that if he and Fuuma were twin stars, then he may change too, like Fuuma did. He could not allow that to happen if he wanted to protect the ones he loved most, even if there were not many of them left. And now, he was not sure he wanted to give up his body to the Dragon of Heaven. He knew that once he did, the two Kamuis would have to engage in a battle to the death. Who knew what could happen? And Kamui was not going to stand by idly if Fuuma was in potential danger.

“So what now?” Kamui asked in a tiny voice.

“Well, are you willing to let me out?”

“Y-…no…I don’t know…what exactly would happen?”

“The final battle…although circumstances would be a bit different since our battle ground would be Within Fuuma. But no physical harm would come to him…”

“But every time a battle occurs there, Fuuma gets these really horrific nightmares that just eat away at his sanity. I don’t even want to think about what would happen to him if an intense battle like that was fought!”

“Mm…you’re right, but it’s not really like you have a choice you know. I mean, what else is there to do if you want all this to end?”

“But…Fuuma…” Kamui felt so hopeless it almost brought tears to his eyes. He was just too paranoid to let the Dragon of Heaven have his body, because then he would have not have any control over anything. He would just have to remain stuck in here waiting until he died with the Dragon of Heaven, or the Angel died. And either way, Fuuma would still be harmed. There had to be some way he could protect him…

“Isn’t there a way that you could be brought out, but I would still have my body? You said you could travel Within anyone you wanted right? Can’t you, like, go Within Fuuma from here since that’s where I am?”

“Hmm…maybe. But the only way I know how would be through awakening first. Wait, you mean you want us to separate?”

“……yes”

“I’m hurt Kamui,” the Seal pouted with mock sadness.

“Oh please…” Kamui said sardonically while rolling his eyes. That earned another fit of laughter from the Light Kamui.

“But what good would that do?” the Light Kamui asked when he finally recovered form laughing.

“….I don’t know. But it’d make me fell a lot better knowing that I’d be able to possibly physically do something to help,” Kamui smiled.

“You’d only put yourself in danger. Once I’m out, all my powers go with me. I can’t promise to protect you.”

“I don’t care.”

“Hmm…well maybe we can work something out, but you’re going to have to let me awaken from you for at least a little while to see.” Kamui was still hesitant.

“I-I don’t know if I should trust you…”

“Aww…why not? C’mon, I’m on your side Kamui! You chose me remember! I wouldn’t have the heart to betray you,” he smiled and Kamui was slowly beginning to give in. “You’ll still be able to know what’s going on you know. Just like when I was talking to you before.”

“Well…o-ok,” Kamui sighed, “I suppose I really have no choice anyway.”

The Dragon of Heaven smiled and got up off the bed, stretching out his leathery black wings. He then turned to Kamui and pulled him into a hug, rocking him back and forth gently.

“Don’t worry, everything’ll be ok,” he said trying to comfort the boy whose tears were beginning to roll down his cheeks. They were words he probably needed to hear, even if they were not necessarily truthful. Kamui nodded into the Light Kamui’s shoulder. After a few more moments, the Dragon of Heaven smiled and pulled away as Kamui dried his eyes.

“Well I suppose I’ll be off now…”

“Yeah…but not for long right?” Kamui asked to double-check.

“Right! I’ll see what I can do to get us separated and if not…well I guess I’ll come back and let you have your body back ok?”

“Ok…thank you.”

“No need to thank me!” And with that the Dragon of Heaven took flight leaving Kamui alone to his thoughts.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Upon locating the correct number, Seishirou quietly snuck into the hospital room, careful not to make a sound. There was little noise in the room, save for Subaru’s and his breathing, as well as the quiet sounds of traffic from the open window next to the bed. The room was almost completely dark; the only source of light coming from the window that portrayed the clear midnight sky. Seishirou’s breath hitched upon seeing Subaru’s pale form in the moonlight. There was a dark, almost looked black, area that was visible through Subaru’s white hospital clothes, below his shoulder. Apparently they only got the wound to stop bleeding recently. Pulling up a chair next to the bed, Seishirou sat down and gently took Subaru’s hand in both of his own. He felt a little relieved but almost guilty at the same time. Emotions, Seishirou concluded, were very confusing and frustrating things.

“I’m sorry Subaru-kun,” he whispered, not knowing exactly why but it just felt right to say it.

“What have you got to be sorry for?” Subaru suddenly croaked, slightly cracking his eyes open. Seishirou paused for a moment staring at Subaru while Subaru tightened his hold on Seishirou’s hand. Eventually, Seishirou stopped staring and smiled at Subaru.

“Go back to sleep Subaru-kun, you need rest. I didn’t wake you did I?”

“I know, and no you didn’t wake me up Seishirou-san,” Subaru yawned, wincing at the pain of the wound as he did so.

“Do you want me to call a nurse?” Seishirou asked quickly upon noticing Subaru’s pain.

“No, I’m fine,” he smiled. In his mind though, he could not help but question if Seishirou’s concern was genuine or not, and that made him feel guilty.

“Anything wrong Subaru-kun?”

“No, nothing…”Seishirou nodded and decided not to push the matter any further. “How bout you? Are you ok Seishirou-san?” Subaru asked taking his hand away from Seishirou’s to bring it up and gently brush his bangs away from his face. Seishirou found the gesture oddly soothing and leaned into it closing his eyes before answering.

“I’m ok I guess. I’m more worried about you though. You need sleep.”

“Don’t worry, I will,” Subaru said smiling at Seishirou’s reaction to his touch. ‘How could I have doubted him?’ Subaru thought trying to push other thoughts about Seishirou’s past falseness aside. “Will you stay here with me?” Subaru asked turning a faint tinge of pink. Seishirou chuckled at this and brought his own hand up to cover Subaru’s own, which was currently cupping his face.

“Of course Subaru-kun, I made that promise to you didn’t I?” he said as he lightly kissed the palm of Subaru’s hand. The color of Subaru’s blush deepened while he nodded. Seishirou chuckled again and stood up to place another kiss on Subaru’s forehead. “Go to sleep now Subaru-kun, I’ll be here when you wake up.”

A.N.: YAY! Chapter 14’s done! Kinda borng eh? So…how many people are thinking like oh-my-gosh-that-confused-the-heck-out-of-me-but-at-least-there-was-some-S/S -fluff-at-the-end? Don't worry, Kamui's just as confused as you are ^^; Yes I know, me and my crazy X theories. And I’m not even done explaining them yet ^^; Well, I put in a little fluff at the end to reward you all for making it through my boring explanations. So until next time review if you want!

ff.net reviewers:

Feye Morgan: Awww…I’m so happy that you love this fic so much! You have NO idea! ~^___________^~ Have I ever told you that I LOVE the way you think? ^^ The Dragon of Heaven and Dragon of Earth should be meeting in the next chapter, so you’ll see how they react to each other then ^_~

Liviania: I’m so sorry for all the cliffies, but this one wasn’t really a cliffhanger right? ^_^; Anyway, thanks for reviewing!

chris pwure: Awww…..I hope that you’re feeling better. Poor chris T.T Anyway, for some reason I had a feeling that you would like the Seishirou and Fuuma moments ^^; Don’t ask me why, I just had a feeling. Wow, you know what you’re right about the Angel. I’ll see what I can do about him…Well, anyways hope you enjoyed the S/S fluff! Till next time ^___^

fairy of irrelevence: You got a snow day?! No fair! T.T Anyway, glad you enjoy the Light Kamui ^__^ He’s fun to write. Hope to see an update of Bent soon! I can’t wait for the ending ^_____^

Angel Of Reincarnation: LOL! ^___^ Well there was a little fluff in this chapter. I hope it pleased you.

Subaru's voice: Well thank you! I’m honestly not much of a writer myself but I’m glad you like it! ^__^

tenshiamanda: I’m glad you like it! It was my pleasure to bring Sei-chan back to life ^^ Thanks for reviewing!

Thanx again my lovely reviewers!