X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Not Over Yet ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 17



Kamui stood up as quickly as he could on his wobbly limbs, checking to see if he possibly incurred any damage from the endeavor. Confirming that he still was in one piece, he then turned his attention to the two people in front of him.



“Ok!! I’ve about had it with all this hinting around and lack of answers! Now that you’re both here, please tell me what the heck is going on and what’s going to happen!” Kamui demanded angrily, clenching his fists at his sides.



“Nnnngh………is that Kamui?” the Dragon of Heaven asked his lover sleepily, too wrapped up, literally, in the Dark Kamui’s warm embrace to notice anything else after the stunt he just pulled.



“Yes. I’m afraid he’s just a tad upset at the moment. Something about a lack of answers,” the Dark Kamui told him softly, ignoring Kamui’s angry glare.



“Oh right, right,” the Light Kamui sighed, reluctantly detaching himself to turn around and face the angry boy. “Glad to see that you got your body back alright,” he smiled sweetly.



Kamui suddenly blushed, realizing the trouble the Dragon of Heaven had went through for him so he could have his body back, and here he was yelling at him for even more.



“Um yeah, thank you for what you did,” Kamui spoke quietly, suddenly finding the floor interesting to look at, “Sorry I yelled.” The Light Kamui only giggled, suddenly not feeling so tired any more.



“It’s ok. I know I can be a pain to deal with sometimes.”



“I’ll second that,” the Dark Kamui piped in, once again trapping his lover in his arms from behind.



“Hey!” the Light Kamui pouted at first before leaning back into him. The Dragon of Earth snickered.



“Awww….you know I love you,” he said smiling as he pulled his pouting lover closer to himself.



“Yeah, yeah…” the Light Kamui said dismissing the comment as if it was nothing, which only made the Dark Kamui laugh some more.



“Um, anyways…” Kamui began, trying to regain their attention.



“Oh yeah,” the Light Kamui suddenly remembered Kamui’s presence, “Should we tell him? I’ve been kinda holding off on it,” he asked the man who was holding him possessively.



“Once again, it seems rather pointless. What good would it do if he knew? We honestly don’t need him anymore,” the Dragon of Earth said as-a-matter-of-factly.



“Yeah, but I’ve been thinking, you never know. He may be useful…might just think of something we didn’t …and he’s just dying to know too…” the Dragon of Heaven pointed out, lightly poking his lover in the cheek. The Dark Kamui turned his head to take the offending digit between his teeth, making the Light Kamui giggle. Kamui decided at that moment to clear his throat before they proceeded to do anything further.



“Go ahead, I guess. I don’t think it will help, but it can’t harm us either,” the Dark Kamui said nonchalantly after he let the Light Kamui’s finger go.



“SO pessimistic, “ the Dragon of Heaven sighed, “Anyway, so Kamui ready for a story?” he asked excitedly.



“Um……sure,” Kamui replied, nodding slowly.



“Well I’d suggest making yourself comfy then!”



Kamui did as told and walked up to the two Dragons, sitting on the piece of debris they were currently lowering themselves to sit on. The Light Kamui crawled into the Dark Kamui’s lap, resting his head beneath the Dark Kamui’s chin.



“Ok,” the Dragon of Heaven began, “I’m not sure if you’ve been able to determine this by now or not but, I’ll start by telling you that this is not the first time a battle has been waged to decide the fate of the Earth.”



“Huh?” Kamui blinked, “It isn’t?”



“No,” the Dragon of Heaven said shaking his head, “In fact, this is the twentieth time it’s happened………I think it is………is it?” he directed the question to the Dragon of Earth.



“Oh, what’s this one for? 1999?” he trailed off looking as if he was counting something, “Yes, this is the twentieth,” the Dark Kamui finally concluded.



“Twenty times?!!?!? That’s crazy!!!! How?!?!?!”



“Well, we’re not too sure exactly on why or how it began. It’s some sort of preservation method brought about because Earth and humanity don’t seem to get along too well. It happens every one hundred years, almost like some sort of curse. The first time it happened was the year 99; that’s when me and the Dragon of Earth first appeared,” the Light Kamui explained.



“Every one hundred years……why? I mean why couldn’t it be settled after one battle?” Kamui asked astonished.



“Because no one has won yet,” the Dark Kamui responded.



“Huh? You’ve been through this twenty times and neither of you have been-oh.” It suddenly dawned on Kamui that the two Dragons were most likely lovers and well, killing your lover is not the easiest thing to convince yourself to do.



“Nope, we keep on tying,” the Light Kamui giggled, “You wouldn’t believe how frustrated that made us at first.”



“Why? I would think that you would want to tie. That way you wouldn’t have to kill each other right?” Kamui reasoned.



“Well, we weren’t this close at first, hell no!” the Light Kamui laughed, causing the Dark Kamui to join in as well.



“Yes, in the beginning, both of us shared a passionate, bloodthirsty hatred towards the other. We would have been delighted seeing the life blood pour out of the other's body,” the Dark Kamui said with a nostalgic expression.



“Yeah, our first few battles were extremely intense and very um…gory,” the Light Kamui chuckled, “However, that was before we saw each other in a different light. The tenth time around, in 999, we managed to turn all the hate into love!” he beamed.



“And then tying seemed to be somewhat of a more desirable outcome. Keyword: somewhat,” the Dark Kamui added in smirking



“How? You two just fell in love one day?” Kamui asked skeptically.



“Well it wasn’t just one day. It took a while but it happened………you really want to know the details of our little love story?” the Light Kamui asked, sounding amused.



“Um…maybe later. So how do you exactly tie?” Kamui inquired, scratching the back of his head.



“When neither Kamui survives to carry out their wish,” the Dragon of Earth answered.



“So……you both would die?”



“Yup.”



“So you’ve died before?”



“Nineteen times,” the Light Kamui said simply.



“What exactly are you two?” asked Kamui, who was having a hard time believing all of this.



“What are we? Well, you could think of us as spirits I guess. We’re like the embodiments of Earth and humanities wishes, yet we still have free will because we have to take on the form of a human. Our purpose is to use the will of God to carry out our respective wishes. Mine being to preserve humanity, his being to destroy it,” the Light Kamui explained.



“So what happens after you die? Are you reborn in the next one hundred years or something?”



“Yes, when the next Promised Day has been determined, we revive and eventually awaken Within the twin stars that were chosen to host us and give us our image,” the Dark Kamui told him.



“That doesn’t seem fair. You just take over the lives of two people for yourselves?” Kamui pointed out.



“No one ever said any of this was fair, but it must be done as destiny beckons us to. As long as there is no peace between the Earth and humanity, this battle must occur. There’s no getting around it.” The Light Kamui nodded along with what the Dark Kamui just explained.



“Let me get this straight. Ok, so every century you two are born into the lives of a pair of twins stars, then awaken however it is that you awaken, to carry out a battle neither of you seem to win?!” Kamui cried exasperated.



“Hmm….kinda,” the Light Kamui mused, “Everything that’s happened, with the exception of us being stuck here right now, gets, more or less, repeated. Capturing kekkais, the two Shinkens, seven Seals, seven Angels, and so on. The only things that changes are the time, place, and people. And it’s not as if we don’t try and win the final battle, because we do.”



“Yeah right. I may believe that for the times before you two were together, but now? I mean look at you two. How can you tell me you want to kill each other?” Kamui asked doubtfully of the cuddling pair.



“This peace between us only lasts until the Promised Day. On that day, we fight a battle to the death as we were intended to because we are the two Kamuis. We can’t allow our feelings to interfere,” the Dark Kamui elaborated.



“And it’s not as if they can either. We’re basically inhuman when that day comes. Running through me is the wish to protect every human out there. The more people there are to protect, the more power that wish has over me. The same goes for him and the Earth. The worse the Earth gets, the more his wish to preserve it consumes him. Even our strongest feelings are overrun by our roles and wishes as ‘Kamui’, so we push them aside and let our instincts take over,” the Light Kamui said almost sadly.



“So you really end up killing each other?” Kamui asked. Both Dragons sighed.



“Yeah, we do. But it’s not all bad because as long as we keep tying, we’ll come back the next century and see each other again,” the Light Kamui sighed, looking at the ground, “Although the Promised Day of 999 was rather difficult…” The Light Kamui seemed to stop that train of thought abruptly. The Dark Kamui noticed him tense and began running his fingers down his spine to try and sooth him.



“Why couldn’t someone have won before you fell in love?”



“Oh we tried! Believe me, we tried! We had it in us to kill the other! Nothing would have gotten in our way. But each time, we either ran each other through or were killed quickly after by a surviving Seal or Angel. And since only a Kamui may carry out the Wish, it remained a tie. I, myself, have begun to question if it’s even possible to win. Maybe it has to happen at the right time or something…” the Light Kamui pondered aloud.



“I believe it’s because both powers are equal. The wish to save humanity is just as powerful as the wish to destroy it. So it’s not likely that one of us will outdo the other,” the Dark Kamui offered.



“Maybe…” the Light Kamui said bringing a finger to his lips.



“I just don’t think it’s fair,” Kamui blurted.



“What’s not fair?”



“I mean all those lives, the twin stars, the Angels and the Seals. They all have to be sacrificed time and again because no one’s won yet.” Kamui said quietly, looking down.



“Well, this is a decision that would determine the fate of the world. It wouldn’t be right if one of us just gave up. We can’t,” the Light Kamui advised.



“Yeah but, do you two really want this to end though? I mean after someone’s won, you two wouldn’t come back right?” Kamui questioned.



“Are you accusing us of trying to prolong our existence by tying?” The Dark Kamui spat coldly. The Light Kamui decided to intervene before the Dark Kamui got riled up.



“Hey Kamui, we’re more sick of this than you are. I don’t know about him,” the Light Kamui said indicating the Dark Kamui, “but I sure feel guilty about all the lives we take over and destroy just to do it again in a hundred years. And I don’t care how many times it’s happened before, I still breakdown before the battle knowing that if he doesn’t kill me first, I’ll have to kill him. And it’s not just because I’m afraid that we won’t come back the next time around, because I’d really rather not. I hate having to kill these people, especially him,” the Light Kamui indicated his lover, “I’d love nothing more than for this to never happen again, because I’m sick of feeling like that,” the Light Kamui said in all seriousness.



“Who knows what would happen to us when it finally does end, but who cares? We’re not real people. We’re not meant to live normal lives and die. Maybe we’ll disappear like we’ve never existed or maybe we’ll spend the rest of our existence in a paradise for all our hard work. We have no idea, but we sure are willing to risk it if it means we don’t have to do this over again. This is like living in a nightmare, having to kill the one you love most over and over. Like you said, it’s not fair…” the Dark Kamui explained hopelessly. Kamui merely nodded, regretting what he was trying to imply earlier. The Light Kamui looked away, half agreeing with his lover, but yet...



“How do you know all of this?” Kamui asked after a while, “I know most it’s just experience but like-“



“Oh! The dreamseers tell us things,” the Light Kamui said in a slightly brighter tone, “In fact they are the ones who have to summon us when the next century is here and the time comes for another Promised Day. They inform us on what they’ve dreamed, the time period and stuff like that.”



“Different dreamseers right? Or are the Hinoto and them spirits like you too?”



“Nope. Each century bring about new dreamseers,” the Dragon of Heaven answered.



“Ok……” Kamui nodded trying to think of what else he wanted to know, “So if either of you did win, would something like this ever happen again?”



“If either of us won, that would mean either the Earth would be purged of humans, or humans would continue living as they do now. Unless one side can manage to regain the power they lost, they are stuck with whatever the outcome was; therefore we wouldn’t be needed,” explained the Dark Kamui.



“Why is it every one hundred years?”



“That’s usually how long it takes for us to be recreated and gain our powers back,” the Light Kamui answered. Kamui nodded again, although he was still having a hard time believing everything. It all seemed like it would make sense, but it was just so outrageous to fully believe it.



“So what now?” Kamui asked finally. Both Dragons let out a heavy sigh.



“We don’t exactly know. The Promised Day has passed and both of us are still alive. Both Kamuis were supposed to be awake by the Promised Day so we have no clue. I honestly thought this could be the last time and I would’ve won when it looked as if the other Kamui wasn’t going to awaken,” the Dark Kamui said looking off to the side.





“So far the plan was to battle it out in here and see what happens. Winner gets Fuuma’s body to carry out their wish… if there is a winner. Unless there’s something else we can think of. Who knows? This has never happened before, so maybe this is the last time,” the Light Kamui could not help but sound a little hopeful. Kamui’s ears had perked up at hearing Fuuma’s name.



“Was there anything else Kamui?” the Dark Kamui asked.



“No, not that I can think of right now. I think I’ll leave you guys alone now,” he smiled, “I need some time to myself to think anyway,” he said as he slowly stood up. He began to walk away, but suddenly turned around. “Thank you for telling me. I appreciate it, even if you thought it was a waste of time. Maybe I can prove you wrong by coming up with something, so uh….don’t start your battle yet,” he grinned,



“Um, sure. It’s not like we’re in that much of a hurry,” the Light Kamui laughed. Kamui nodded then turned back around to head into the darkness.



A.N.: Ok, so there you have it. My version of the whole “end of the world” deal. But only for the purposes of this fic! ^^; I hope I haven’t completely slaughtered it for anyone. I tried to think of everything that would have it make sense here, but there’s probably a loophole in there somewhere, or something I forgot to explain ^^; Anyway, remember, this is continuing from the TV series not the manga. I was reading a few volumes of it, and this explanation probably wouldn’t work too well. I know I’ve kinda neglected the importance of Kamui’s wish and stuff as far as the manga goes. Oh well…I’ll make another fic that can explain and fix the manga….then the movie (so what if Fuuma lost his head, I can fix it! ^^;) Anyway, yeah…hope this won’t scare anyone off…sorry if it was boring too…next chapter should be a little more interesting…but don’t hold your breath ^^; Fluff is on the way though! Yakusoku! ^^

ff.net reviewers:

chris pwure: LOL! Yes, I can’t believe it got as descriptive as it did ^^; Anyway, hope to see another update of yours soon (because I’m sure you’ll get the good grades ^_~) Take care till then!

Subaru's Voice: Well I’m glad you keep coming back for more! ^___^ I’ll try and update soon!

Liviania: LOL! Ah, another original review from Livi-san ^^ Thank you!

Yuki Fuyumi: Aww…..what’s wrong with Sei-chan being alive? ^^; OH! You liked that huh? Well thank you ^_^ I dunno how I thought of that, it just seemed like the way it would have to work ^^; Naw! Why would you want a new hobby when the X fandom is so much fun! ^^; I know that I’m going to be stuck here for a loooooooooooong time! ^^; Anyway, I’ll try to live up to your expectations!

I can’t thank you all enough for the kind feedback! ^____^ I shall do my best to update soon!