X-men Evolution Fan Fiction ❯ Starting Today ❯ Chapter 22

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

O-o-o-o-O
Rogue practically spit the word mother out, like it was something dirty that had gotten into her mouth. Of all the nerve! After everything that she had done to Kurt and herself, the last thing that woman deserved to be called was a mother.
Xavier flinched a little at her tone, but didn't seem too surprised by her reaction. “I understand that you're upset Rogue, but she said that all she wanted was to see that you were alright after your incident.”
Rogue's eyes narrowed and a glass vase on the other side of the room shattered. “Bullshit”, she spat out. “If she was so damned concerned about me; where the hell was she two weeks ago?”
“Rogue, please control yourself. We can't have you relapsing now. And please watch your language.” His tone was firm but not upset.
She sighed and settled down into the chair a little. “I'm sorry Professor. But just the thought of that...that...makes my blood boil. If I see her right now I won't be held responsible for what happens.”
“I was afraid of that, which is part of why I asked her to leave. I won't force you to see her, but there are unresolved issues between the two of you and the sooner you talk things over, the better. Things will only get worse if you let it fester. Please, think it over.”
“Alright Professor. I can't make any promises, but I will think about it.” Rogue nodded reluctantly.
“Thank you. I'll contact Raven tomorrow and let her know. I had promised her that I would give her an answer soon.” He rested his hands in his lap and used his telekinesis to pick up the pieces of the broken vase and move them into a wastebasket next to his desk. “Now, you said there was something that you wanted to talk to me about?”
Rogue tensed up a little and held her hands tightly in her lap. Here goes everything “There is, but first I need you to promise me that you won't tell anyone what we've talked about tonight.”
“Of course Rogue; please, continue.”
“Well, first I have to confess that I lied to you about where I was tonight. I wasn't at the movies; I was with Remy. He told me about his past tonight, and let me into his mind so I know that what he's telling me is true. He doesn't want to work for Magneto anymore; he wants to accept your offer and join the X-men, but he thinks he needs to prove himself and earn our trust. Besides, he thinks Magneto is up to something particularly nasty and wants to keep an eye on him. Remy says he's brought in some scientist named Essex and apparently the two of them have been holed up together ever since he arrived. From what he's said about Essex it sounds like he's a real nasty fellow. Is there any way we can help him?”
Xavier looked grave. “I haven't heard too much about this Dr. Essex, but I don't like what I did hear. He's very interested in mutant experimentation, but his subjects haven't always come out the better it. What could Magneto want with him though? Of course we will help him Rogue. It would be foolish for Gambit to try to take on Magneto alone. Why the secrecy though?”
“Well, apparently this Essex is a telepath and Remy's afraid that he'll get caught if Essex happens to read the wrong mind by accident. I guess he doesn't have the same scruples about using his power that you do.”
The Professor nodded. “That is an understandable concern. I don't like to keep secrets from my X-men, but there are times when it is necessary. I think that this may be one of those occasions. I'd like to meet with both of you to discuss this further. Have Mr. LeBeau come here tomorrow night after everyone has gone to bed. I presume he can find his way in. I'll make sure that Logan doesn't detect his presence.”
There was a trace of a smile on Rogue's lips. “I don't think he'll have any problem getting in. He seems to be rather handy at that kind of thing.”
Xavier smiled a little at this too. “That he does. Well Rogue, it is late, and I do believe you have a session in the Danger Room tomorrow morning. You should go on to bed now.”
“You're right; I think I'll need all the sleep I can get.” She got up and headed for the door. “Thank you for everything Professor. Goodnight.”
“Goodnight Rogue. Sleep well.”
O-o-o-o-O
What a perfectly beautiful, normal day. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, she had just spent her morning getting her butt kicked in the Danger Room, she was in love and was helping her boyfriend defect from Magneto...okay, so it couldn't be quite called normal. But at least it was a beautiful day outside.
Rogue was on her way to the park, claiming fatigue and a desire to escape Wolverine. It was a valid excuse; now that she had what he considered “everything but the kitchen sink” in her head now, he had decided he could stop going easy on her in the Danger Room and start really putting her through her paces. Her opinion was that that was ridiculous considering he had never gone easy on her in the first place; as usual nobody listened to her though. The fatigue part was also true. Her body ached and she was so tired that she almost considered saying fuck the park in order to go back to bed. The only thing that kept her from doing that though was the thought of Remy waiting for her at her destination. They had agreed to meet today to let him know how her talk with the Professor had gone last night.
She couldn't help but be nervous at the idea of her boyfriend trying to fool Mags by himself. As much as she'd love him to just say the hell with Magneto and just accept Professor Xavier's offer, she had to agree with him that if his soon-to-be-ex employer had something nasty planned, the best way to stop it would be from the inside.
Despite her worries, she couldn't keep her mind from turning to more slightly girly things. Boyfriend. Who would have ever thought I'd have a boyfriend? Not that she considered Remy a boy, but to think of what they also were to each other would only leave her blushing. And he's the sexiest man in Bayville to boot. Eat your hearts out, Jean and Kitty. Scott, Kurt and Lance have nothing on my man. Looking back, she felt she had to have been crazy for ever developing a crush on Scott. Sure he was a nice guy and everything, but he was too set in his ways and dedicated to doing what was right to ever keep up with a girl like her. Not like Remy... Jean could have Cyke for all she cared. She had the Prince of Thieves in her arms.
And there was her prince now. They had picked a new spot to meet, tucked deeper in the park, nearby the lake. Remy was reclining on the ground near a tree, playing solitaire. Him and those cards... She had asked him once why he seemed to have a fixation with playing cards. He had told her that they helped keep his hands busy as he tended to get kind of fidgety, also they made great weapons as they were light and could fly farther than a lot of other objects.
So what if the love of her life was a thief and soon-to-be-ex Acolyte who sang badly in the shower and had a card fetish? He wasn't Prince Charming, but he was as close as she figured she'd get, and he was hers. As far as Rogue was concerned, she had the cream of the crop. Not that she'd ever tell him that though. The boy didn't need his ego to get any bigger than it was already.
Remy looked up and smiled at her. “Bon jour petite. How did it go with M'sieur Wolverine today?”
She groaned and collapsed down next to him, interrupting his card game and laying her head on his hip. “Oh god, don't ask. First two hours in a group session then an additional hour on my own. I swear the man's a sadist. Can I die yet?”
Remy chuckled and shifted so that he was lying back against the tree with Rogue's head in his lap. He then started to play with her hair. “Non Chere. If you go, who's going to stay here with me?”
“But I swear I'm all set to go. I've gone through purgatory already. Come with me, it'll be fun. I've always wanted a pair of wings.”
“If you want wings, why not just absorb that Angel fellow? Scratch that; on second thought I don't want any other man's thoughts in my girl's head. Besides, what makes you think I can get in there? I'm not exactly angel material.”
Rogue felt like purring, loving the feeling of Remy's gloved fingers running through her hair. “I'll make them let you in. Not even St. Peter would want to get into an argument with me.”
He grinned down at her. “I'll agree with that.” She slapped his arm playfully and he dropped a kiss on the top of her head then leaned back. “So how did it go last night?”
“It went well, for the most part. The Professor wants to see both of us tonight after everyone has gone to bed. He's promised to keep Logan out of the way so you won't have any problems getting in.”
Bon. You know for such a smart man, you'd think Xavier would do a better job with his security. I'll have to give him some pointers after I join. “
“Have you given any thought to what you'll do after you leave Buckethead? I know you haven't finished school.”
“I don't know. I never was one for classroom learning. My pere home-schooled us when we were growing up. Can't exactly go back to thieving if I'm going to be an X-man though.” He sighed. “Imagine that, Remy LeBeau walking the straight and narrow. Never thought I'd see that happen. No, I don't know what I'll do yet, but I'll think of something.” He looked down at Rogue and stroked her cheek. “You said it went well for the most part. Did something else happen?”
She bit her lip and turned to face away from him, taking hold of the hand on her face. “Yes. My...mother...showed up at the mansion while I was with you last night. Apparently she wants to see me.”
Remy muttered a curse under his breath. “I'm sorry Rogue; I know she's the last person you want to talk to right now. Did she say why she wanted to see you?”
“According to the Professor, she wants to make sure I'm okay after what happened. “
“You don't know if you can believe her or not though.”
“Of course not! Almost everything that woman has said to me since we met has been a lie. Would you believe her?”
He squeezed her hand gently. “I don't blame you there, petite. I don't think I'd want to listen to her either. So, are you going to see her?”
“I don't want to, but the Professor said it will just make things worse if I wait too long. I might as well just get it over with.”
“I wish I could offer to be there with you...”
“I know Remy, but this is something I need to do alone.”
He pulled her up into his lap and wrapped his arms around her, resting his chin on her head. “Soon Chere, I won't be on the sidelines anymore, and you'll never have to face anything alone again.”
“And neither will you, Remy.” Rogue yawned and snuggled into Remy's chest, loving the sound of his heartbeat in her ear. He smiled down at her. “Time for a nap now?”
“Mmmhmmm..”, she mumbled sleepily.
“Sleep then. I don't mind being a pillow for my Roguey”
She crinkled her nose. “Roguey?”
Remy grinned. “Oui. You my Roguey. Now hush and go to sleep.”
Rogue mumbled a few unpleasant things under her breath, but did as requested. Just as she dropped off to sleep, she thought she heard him whisper. “I could get used to this.”
O-o-o-o-O
It was late when Remy snuck into the mansion that night. He was happy to find that the Professor was true to his word and there was no sign of the Wolverine around. He was about to knock on Xavier's office when it opened upon Rogue's smiling face.
“Come on in, he said you were here.”
I hate spooks He thought as he sighed inwardly and walked into the office. Rogue closed the door behind him and offered him a seat in front of Xavier's desk. She sat down beside him and turned to the Professor. He gave Remy a polite smile.
“Remy, it's good to see you again. Rogue's told me something of your situation, but perhaps I'd like to hear your version as well.”
Oui, m'sieur. I can do that.” So he explained everything; how he came to be out on his own, the work he had done over the years before meeting Magneto, and meeting Essex the first time. He also told about how Essex was now staying at the Acolytes base and that he and Magneto now spent most of their time either closeted away together in Mag's office or on out of town trips. “M'sieur Essex, he's one creepy guy. If he's working with Magneto, then I don't think I'm going to like what they're going to want us to do. I'll find out what they're up to and help you stop them, in exchange for a place among the X-men.” He had Rogue's hand in his lap and had been playing with her fingers throughout the entire discussion so far.
Xavier steepled his fingers in front of him and looked thoughtful. “Is this your only reason for wanting to join, then? To get away from Magneto?”
Remy narrowed his eyes and his grip on Rogue's hand tightened. “Don't play games with me, M'sieur. You know perfectly well that Rogue and I are together. I refuse to be on the outside watching her anymore. I don't care what you or any of your other X-men think. I will be part of Rogue's life, until she tells me different.”
“I'm not playing games Remy; I just had to be sure that you're not either. Rogue is a member of our family here, and I will do whatever is needed to protect her.”
“So will I Professor, so will I.” Remy relaxed a little and started stroking Rogue's fingers again.
“Yes, I see that.”
“Okay fellows can you stop talking like I'm not here?” Rogue tried to take her hand away from Remy but he refused to let it go. Instead he kissed her fingertips in apology. “Sorry Chere, I just don't like it when people doubt me.” He turned to face Xavier. “Do you accept my offer?”
The telepath paused for a moment before responding. “Yes, I accept. I would have welcomed you among us regardless of any kind of trade, but I can see the necessity of what you want to do. It would probably be easiest to use Rogue to send messages of when you get info, but you'll have to be more careful than ever to hide your relationship. Do you think you can do that?”
Oui, I can. I don't like bringing her into this, but I don't want anyone else knowing what's going on either.”
“Rogue, what about you?”
Remy felt her squeeze his hand as she responded, “Yes, I can do this.”
“Okay, it's settled then. Remy, please let us know as soon as you find out any information, and also if there's anything you need to aid you in getting it. I will do what I can on this end to help Rogue cover her tracks for when she needs to meet with you.” Pausing for a moment, he extended his hand across the desk to Remy.
“It may be a little early yet, but welcome to the X-men.”
O-o-o-o-O