Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ In Jaden's Shadow ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In Jaden's Shadow Chapter Eight By KellyQ

Alexis could feel the tension in the air, as she and her boyfriend set up Syrus' room. They started with dusting, straightening various things on shelves, and making the bed. Alexis watched Zane every so often, and noticed that he was fighting an inner battle. "Zane," she finally called out softly.

"I'm fine, Alexis," Zane responded, and closed his eyes. He could feel her closeness, as she stepped up from behind and wrapped her arms around him.

A tear came down Alexis' right cheek. "It's okay to cry, Zane. You've done everything you could. The only thing you can do now is tell him it's okay ...."

Zane easily pulled away from his girlfriend. "My brother doesn't know how to let go." With no other words, Zane stalked out of the room, pushing the startled Hospice nurse who was standing by the door.

That's because you won't let him, Alexis thought darkly. She looked up to see the nurse hovering by the door, with a sympathetic look on her face.

"Is everything alright?" the nurse asked.

"Yeah. Did Zane leave to get Syrus?"

The nurse nodded her head.


Johan walked into the hospital room to see Syrus trying to put his coat on; the only thing preventing the sleeve from being pulled up was a tear.

"Darn coat," Syrus grumbled. He pulled out his arm and slipped it back in, making it work this time. "Okay. I'm ready!"

Johan smiled and sat next to Syrus and noticed that the younger Trusedale had a little color on his cheeks, and a little spark of life was in his eyes. "It won't be long before you're home!"

All Syrus did was nod his head, and that was when Johan noticed a worried look in Syrus' eyes. "What's wrong?"

"After I go home, and you get your paper done, I probably won't see you again," Syrus said in a resigned tone.

Johan was about to retort when Zane walked in. There was a nurse by his side, pushing a wheelchair to the bed. "Are you ready?" Johan finally asked.

Syrus only nodded his head. The nurse stepped up and helped Johan place Syrus in the wheelchair. Zane moved forward, ready to push the wheelchair to the car. Syrus had a blanket draped over his legs, and he was holding the towel he and Jaden had shared. The nurse smiled and said her good-bye to the young Trusedale, as Zane wheeled his little brother to the parking lot.

"I'll be back," was the only thing Zane said before he went to get the van.

"Johan," Syrus finally spoke up, after Zane was out of hearing range. "Do you think my aniki hates me?"

The black van pulled up just as Johan was about to say that he didn't know. "We can talk later. Now lets get you home," Johan finally answered. He lifted Syrus up, and held back his horror when he felt how thin the sick teen was. Johan could feel Syrus' ribcage through his shirt, and the young Trusedale was lighter then he should.

Zane watched for a moment before taking the wheelchair back inside the hospital.


The ride home was quite. Syrus sat comfortably on Johan's lap. He looked up and noticed that the wounds his friend had were healed. "That's good Cobra hasn't tried to hurt you anymore ..."

"I haven't been at home since Cobra attacked me," Johan announced truthfully. "I've been staying at a friend's house."

which was good, Zane thought. It gave me time to make sure that Cobra was put in his place. It wasn't easy, but Zane had managed to get the man put behind bars. "You might as well stay there for now ..."

Johan's eyes met the cold black gaze in the review mirror. "You don't have to worry about me. Right now we need to make sure Syrus is comfortable."

"Aniki," Syrus finally spoke up again. "Thanks for letting me come home."

Johan watched Zane closely, and for the first time, he saw the elder Trusedale had a glint of love in his eyes. Johan looked down at Syrus to notice that the smaller teen was deep in thought. "What are you thinking?"

Syrus shrugged a shoulder. "A lot of things, I guess. Like that Jaden could have had anyone he wanted, like you, for example. You're much stronger than I am and kinder too. He should've just chosen you instead of me."

Johan sighed. "I know you really loved him and that's the only thing that counts."

Syrus nodded his head and looked out the window for a moment. "Johan, how did you meet Jaden?"

The green-eyed teen smiled at Syrus. "We met at a Halloween party ..."

The young Trusedale frowned. "You mean that Halloween party that was held a while back?" Syrus' frowned deepened, trying to remember that night - then it dawned on him. "Oh yeah ... now I remember - he referred you as Mr. Romeo when he got home that night."


Alexis walked up when she heard the door open. She had a small bouquet of flowers, and she had a forced smile that Johan and Zane could see. "Welcome home, Syrus," she greeted warmly.

The younger Trusedale smiled and accepted the flowers gracefully. He looked around as he was carried to his room. Once there, Alexis opened the door, and stepped aside for Johan to enter. The familiar scent from the room overwhelmed Syrus, but he didn't care. He was home now, and that was all that mattered to him.

Johan laid Syrus gently on the bed, and pulled the covers up. The young Trusedale made himself comfy. I'm finally home, he thought. He looked around and noticed that Zane had followed them into his room.

"I better put the flowers in water before they die," Zane said, taking the bouquet.

"I'll come with you," Alexis volunteered.

She followed her boyfriend out just as the hospice nurse walked in. She looked at the small innocent patient. She could tell by the look in Syrus' eyes that he was going to last no more than a few hours. Shaking the remorse feeling out of her, she walked up to the smaller teen. "Hello Syrus, I'm Emi, your home nurse." With that she got Syrus set up.

Johan watched with a heavy heart. I just hope that Syrus finds Jay. He smiled at that thought. Johan had to admit that Jaden and Syrus had been cute together.

"I'll be right back," Emi announced. She rose to her feet with a clipboard in her arms.


"Thanks for helping me," Syrus smiled at his friend.

Johan just watched the flicker of life fading from Syrus. The green eyed teen looked back at the door, hoping that Zane would come back. Syrus reached out and touched Johan's arm. "It's okay if Zane doesn't want to be around me right now ...." Johan looked back at Syrus. "Besides, I'd rather be with you anyways. You always reminded me of Jay ..."

It was then that there was knock at the doorjamb. Johan turned his head to see Emi walk in. "How are you settling in, Syrus?"

The young Trusedale could only nod his head, as tried to keep his vision from getting blurry. He was becoming more tired by the second, and he wanted to see his brother and Alexis before he went.

"Sorry. It took me a while before I could find a vase," came Alexis' voice. She walked in and placed the vase on the night stand.

Johan looked at the flowers and noticed that they were two different colors: red and yellow. He couldn't help but smile, but it faded when a red petal broke off and landed on the night stand, followed by a yellow one that landed on the red one.


Zane looked out the window, and sighed. He closed his eyes, trying to ignore the feeling that his little brother had just passed away. He knew it had just happened. Zane opened his eyes and saw Johan's expression through the window. The younger teen had Syrus' lifeless body in his arms. Johan stood there for a moment, waiting to see if Zane would react. The older Trusedale just stood there, looking emotionless as always. "So. You have nothing to say?" Johan finally asked. He couldn't comprehend how Zane could manage to just stand there, and not even feel anything.

"Syrus is where he belongs," Zane finally spoke up. He turned around and walked up to Johan, and look down at Syrus' lifeless stare. He could also see that his brother had been crying. "And that is with Jaden." He reached out to close his brother's eyes. I hope you can find peace, little brother, Zane thought as he wiped Syrus' tears from his face.


Syrus slowly opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was Jaden bending over him. They both smiled at each other, and it was then they both knew that it was over.

"How are you feeling now?" Jaden asked, helping his koi into the upright position.

"I feel just fine. But what about Johan? I don't think he got around to finishing his paper." Syrus felt bad that couldn't see if his friend was going to get a good grade or not.

Jaden chuckled and kissed Syrus. "I wouldn't worry about him. He's going to be just fine." He pulled Syrus close. Thank you, Johan, Jaden thought. Thank you so much ...

Johan slowly opened his eyes from his sleep, and smiled. He knew that they were going to find each other. Johan cautiously got out of bed, hoping not to wake his foster brother, who was sleeping next to him. He walked to the window to look at the stars.

"Come back to bed, mate," came Jim's groggy voice. "We have a big day tomorrow."

"I know," Johan smiled. He turned and walked back, to climbed back into bed. He felt better than he had in a long time.

The End