Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ In Jaden's Shadow ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In Jaden's Shadow

Chapter 7

By Kellyq

 

Syrus grimaced when Zane walked in with a cup of water in one hand, and a phenergan pill in the other. The young Trusedale didn't mean to throw up right when Zane walked in.

"Sorry," was the only thing Syrus could say. He didn't make eye contact with Zane, as he took the cup and pill.

"You're not forcing your meds up, are you?"

Syrus cringed under his brother's gaze. "No – they just make me feel nauseated."

Zane narrowed his eyes. "Okay. But you better start eating. You don't want to be fed through a tube again, do you?"

"N-no," Syrus whimpered.

"Then I suggest you start taking care of yourself, or you'll end up where Jaden is," Zane responded harshly.


"Then I suggest you start taking care of yourself, or you'll end up where Jaden is." Johan stood outside the room. He couldn't believe that Zane didn't care that his little brother was dying. Johan was snapped out of his thought when Zane stepped out, and raised a brow after looking at Johan. The younger teen looked like he had come from a fight. Johan had his right wrist bandaged up, gauze wrapped around his neck and forehead. On further inspection, Johan had one black eye, and a cut lip. They both looked at each other with enmity, before Johan walked into Syrus' room to see if he was okay.

The young Trusedale was just sitting there, looking as though he was trying not to shed a tear. Syrus also looked paler than normal.

"Syrus ...?"

The young teen flinched, and looked up to see Johan standing there. Syrus' eyes widened at the sight of his new friend. "What happened to you?"

Johan chuckled nervously, and scratched the back of his head. "I kind of had an accidenton the way here." Syrus didn't look convinced. Johan sighed, and sat next to his friend. "I was trying to find out how Cobra took Jaden ..."

Syrus shivered. "Cobra ...?"

Johan nodded his head, and placed his hand on his bandaged throat. Syrus lowered his gaze. Why are people getting hurt because of me? he thought bitterly. "Yeah ... he cut my throat open ... beat me up, and threatened me -" Johan winced at the last part, feeling his throat becoming raw.

Syrus watched Johan for a moment, and reached out to touch the boy's arm. "You don't have to go through all this trouble just for me. I know Jay won't be coming back," Syrus paused, showing nothing but remorse in his expression. "My brother is right about one thing - I have been holding on in hope that what happened to Jaden was just some sort of sick joke, and that he would come find me so that we could go home ..."

Johan heard a gasp from their right; he turned his head to see Jaden's spirit standing there looking shocked and sad. The brown haired boy turned and ran. Johan went after Jaden, so they could talk. He finally found Jaden leaning against the wall, just two feet away from Syrus' room

"You alright, Jay?"

"Who put Sy here?" Jaden finally asked.

"Uh ... his brother ..."

Jaden's expression darkened. "Syrus doesn't belong in a place like this - not when he doesn't have much longer to be here ..."

Johan smiled sadly at Jaden. "I'll try and convince Zane to bring Sy home, but you know how he is."

Jaden smiled. "Thanks."


Syrus lay there, wondering when Johan was going to come back. It wasn't long before Syrus remembered what his brother had said. He couldn't help but smile. I don't mind going where Jaden is ... Syrus thought, feeling the medication working. He slowly drifted off to sleep ...

"Sy," came a gentle voice, "are you awake?"

The young Trusedale slowly opened his eyes to see Jaden bending over him. The air was nice and warm, with a fragrance of flowers.

Syrus looked back at Jaden, and threw his arms around his aibou. They held each other close. "I ... I know this is a dream," Syrus sobbed out, and held onto Jaden tightly.

Jaden smiled down at the smaller teen in his arms. "Does that matter?"

"Of course it matters! Don't you know what I've been through?" Syrus responded, slapping Jaden across the face. "A lot!"

Silence hung over them. Jaden didn't even respond to Syrus' violent outburst. He had known that Syrus was going to be upset by the whole thing, once he knew what happened to Jaden. It wasn't long before Syrus started to feel nauseated again ....

Syrus slowly opened his eyes to see Johan rubbing his cheek. "What happened to you?"

"You stuck me in your sleep," Johan chuckled. "And let me tell ya – you can definitely pack a punch."

Syrus lowered his gaze. Johan smiled a little, and sat next to the sick teen. "Don't be sorry. You were just acting on your reflexes ..." Johan paused when Syrus nodded his head. "Oh, before I forget, I convinced Zane and Alexis to bring you home."

Syrus' mouth dropped slightly. "H-how did you ...?"

"It wasn't easy considering Alexis thought you might be better off here so you're not overwhelmed with stuff that reminds you of Jay," Johan explained. "But I told her that you wanted to get out of here. So you'll be going home at the end of the week."

Syrus threw himself at Johan. "Thank you! there's no other place I want to be right now, and that is home."

Johan looked straight a head to see Jaden's spirit murmuring a thank you in his direction. "I know, and Jaden wants you to be at home too."

To Be Continued ...