Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ BMTL: Kindred Cards ❯ REBD, The Heart that Melted Ice and Turned to Coal! ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Why do I keep hurting?

"Come on, Azure!" Jou, patted his thigh, calling for the Doberman sized dragon. Azure pulled herself off her haunches and went after the servant, chasing him around. Atemu laughed and applauded. Rojo and Set sighed (Azalea calls him 'Seth'; Rochelle calls him 'Set'). Set reached down and patted the dragon sitting beside him. Rojo purred and cooed. She loved getting attention from the sullen priest.

I remember... Atemu was such a friendly pharaoh. He and Jou and Azalea got along just fine, I preferred being with Set. He was so wise and calm.

"Come on, girls." Atemu patted his thigh as the group split up for the day. Azure hopped over to her master's side, but Rojo stayed by Set. She whimpered and huddled against him. This was the first time she had ever done this.

"Rojo, go with the pharaoh." Set said, nudging her gently with his foot. Rojo shook her head and whimpered more. Atemu smiled and let her go for the night. She followed the priest down the hall that led to his study and laid at his feet as he read over a few books about the shadow games.

Set was kind to me and taught me all sorts of things about the world, and about himself.

That next week, Rojo and Azure started training to be guards. Rojo immediately jumped on this routine of recognizing scents and sounds, chasing after criminals by land and air, and using their abilities to breath fire/lightning. Azure was uncomfortable about learning these skills, but she learned anyways.

"That was great, Rojo." Set said, petting the dragon on the neck. She and Azure had grown to their mid-point by now. Standing straight on all fours, their heads came up to the top of Set's head. Azure huffed and laid down beside Jou. The white dragon was panting heavily. Rojo went to her sister's side and scoffed.

'You're weak.'

'I don't wanna hurt people, Rojo.' she gasped, laying on her stomach.

We passed our training, and just in time, too. Afterwards, Set started his soul hunting and he let me go everytime... until one night.

"Sorry, Rojo." Set stroked the scales between Rojo's sad red eyes. She growled softly, nudging him and begging to go, "Not this time, we need you here to protect Atemu."

He left and Azure and I watched after Atemu. My dumb sister purred and laughed the whole night, playing with Jou. Atemu noticed how upset I was and tried to make me feel better. Nice try. I felt sick the whole time and just when I thought it couldn't get any worse...

Set came in that night, a girl with blue eyes and fair skin following behind him. Rojo rose her head and cooed questioning the girl. (A/N: I know this isn't how Kisara came about, but I don't care... I don't like Kisara... ARGH.)

"Ah, Rojo. This is Kisara." Rojo murmured and crawled out from under Set's table. She went over to the priest and his guest. Kisara smiled and reached over to pet the growing lizard. Rojo bared her fangs, daring the strange women to get closer, "Rojo! Down!"

I hate her... with every fiber of my being. I wanted her no where near him.... I was jealous. Jealous that she was human and that Set cared about her more than me.

'What are you thinking, Rojo?' Azure lifted her head to look at her. She and Rojo had become their full size (a little less than half the size they are during a duel) and had to stay outside to watch for bandits and rebels.

'Don't ask me that. It's the same damn thing I've been thinking about.'

'You hate Miss Kisara, don't you?'

'What gave it away?'

'I don't know.' Azure smiled and wagged her tail like dog, 'I like her. I think Seth's in love with her, t-!' Rojo jumped up from her guard spot. She sank her teeth into her sister's neck and threw her to the ground. Azure recoiled quickly, hiding where she had been bitten. The darker of the two licked her fangs, the taste of blood riling up her senses.

'You only say that because your spirits are the same! Set would never love someone with the same aura as you!'

I was lying and I knew it. Set did love Kisara, it was the undeniable truth. Atemu began to worry, I was becoming violent. Violent... hell... I was down right primitive. I guess I couldn't help it, I wanted Set for myself...

'I'm tired of her, Azure.' Rojo opened and shut her mouth as if biting someone, 'I can't stand always seeing her going inside the palace with him.'

'Poor Rojo.' Azure yawned and scratched where Rojo bit her. The white dragon didin't seem to care that her sister came close to killing her, 'You're a love-sick dragon.'

'Tonight.' she growled.

'What?'

'I'm getting rid of her tonight.' Rojo spread her wings and took off silently into the night.

*~*Fin*~*