Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ BMTL: Kindred Cards ❯ A Rare Kind of Kindness ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Iris: Yaye! An entire chapter dedicated to Rochelle and Seto! :D:D:D:D:D!

Siri: -.-;;;

***

"Is that the girl you were with, Seto?"

"Who told you I was with anyone?"

"The driver." Mokuba giggled as he and Seto went downstairs and into the kitchen, "I want a grilled cheese sammich."

"'Sammich'?", Seto said as he opened the 'fridge' (which actually looks like the frozen food section of some brand name grocery store) and dug out some cheese, "What have you been watching?"

"Invader Zim." Mokuba started for the kitchen table when something tumbled behind him. He turned around and saw that Rochelle had attempted to come down, failing miserably. She on the floor and clinging to the bottom rail, shaking slightly. The younger Kaiba gasped, "What are you-"

Her stomach growled.

"What do you want to eat?" Seto said, his back facing his brother and guest as he opened the bread bag.

"Anything." she murmured weakly as Mokuba lead her over to the table. She sat down and laid her head down, keeping her eyes on the handsome brunette making sandwiches. Kaiba placed a plate infront of the girl and his brother. On each was a grilled cheese sandwich and a pile of Doritos. Rochelle stared at it for a moment, then ate. Seto sat across the small table and nibbled at his sandwich. He was eyeing Rochelle warily.

"What were you doing out? I figured you'd be too busy watching Azalea." he snorted.

"Azalea went out."

"Where?"

"On a date with Joey." Mokuba slid out of his seat and went into the entertainment room. He could feel the tense air in the room.

"And you didn't follow?"

"I'm not one to pry into her life."

"Hm."

"Seto?"

"Yeah?" he stood and put their plates away.

"Would you ever consider going out on a date with me?" Seto stopped halfway back to the table.

"I'm too busy with work to go out."

"Oh... okay."

***

"Big brother!" Mokuba walked into his brother's office and laid a torn up piece of notebook paper on his desk, "Here!"

"Huh?" Seto picked it up and scanned over it, "Go to an expensive resturant... scary movie... What on Earth is this, Mokuba?"

"I wrote out a plan for you and Rochelle to go on a date!"

"Mokuba! I have work to be done."

"But! I think she really likes you and I bet you like her too just take some time off!"

"I already took time off to go to that stupid dance!"

"You can't say it was stupid! You met Rochelle there and I know you care about her!"

"How would you know?!" Seto was beginning to become very frustrated with his mixed emotions.

"I know cause I'm your brother! I see the things other people don't see! You like Rochelle, but you won't show it. It's in your eyes!"

"There's nothing in my eyes!" Seto shouted, standing up, wadding the paper, and throwing it into the trash, "It was nothing but a fluke! The dance, Rochelle, all of it! A fluke, nothing more! It doesn't mean a thing."

There was a thud outside the room, Mokuba opened the door. Rochelle was on the otherside, the wall supporting her. Tears were streaming down her face. Her deep red eyes caught Seto's blue ones. She cried out and ran off. Seto started to raise an arm instinctively to stop her, but quickly put it down. He sat back down and returned to his work. Mokuba looked from the door then to his brother. The younger Kaiba couldn't understand why his brother was acting so hostile. He chased after Rochelle. Seto could only hear his brother's footsteps as they went down the hallway, then silence. After a while a little voice in his head began to question his actions. Why did you say that about her? How could you say such things after being so nice to her? You even yelled at your own brother! How disgraceful. All they want is for you to get off your hard-ass and get to know someone! Is it that hard? Yes... yes it was. Seto knew there was more than just taking someone out. He knew it wouldn't be easy, he couldn't trust anyone other than Mokuba. Mokuba put too much faith in people. In things in general and Seto had no faith in anyone but himself. 'You like Rochelle, but you won't show it. It's in your eyes!'

"Do I like her?" Seto sighed and looked down at the paper sitting alone in his trash can.

***

"He didn't change." Rochelle whimpered, standing in the doorway of the Kaiba mansion, ready to leave, "He still doesn't love me... I'm nothing but a lowlife dra-"

"Miss Rochelle!" Rochelle's hair stood up, fearing that her secret had gotten out, "Please wait!"

"Yes?" she asked, looking down at Mokuba.

"Don't leave, Seto didn't mean any of that. He's just not used to liking people!"

"Is that so?" Rochelle said, kneeling down to him, "He's probably a really nice and caring person underneath all that tough skin, right? Like a lamb."

"Yeah!" Mokuba nodded, not catching onto Rochelle's sarcasm. She chuckled and smiled lovingly at Mokuba.

"You're just like my sister. All you see is the good in people." she kissed his forehead and stood up, "But I don't... I see people for who they are."

"If you really see them for who they are" Mokuba grabbed her hand, "Then you'd see that Seto really is a good person."

"Rochelle." Seto came down the stairs with a crumpled piece of paper in his hand, "I'm sorry for earlier... would you like to go out on a date?"

***

Siri: Next time on 'Kindred Cards'

Iris: An attack by an old villain leaves Rochelle with her scales showing!

Azalea: Reveal! 'Perfect Date, Ruined!'

Rochelle: Feelings Abound.