Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Breathe (2 AM) ❯ Running From Reality ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warnings: alcohol references
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Breathe (2 AM)
 
-
 
Part III: Running From Reality
 
-
 
Honda's Point of View
 
-
 
-
 
In May he turned twenty-one on the face of Fort Bliss
 
“Just a day,” he said down to the flask in his fist
 
“Ain't been sober since maybe October of last year.”
 
-
 
Jonouchi swore he'd never end up like his father. I believed him, too—that is, until the Pharaoh left.
 
Jonouchi was used to running away from his problems. Back in middle school, before we met Yugi, both of us had used gang fights as our escape from reality. For some reason, the physical pain seemed to numb the pain we felt inside of us.
 
But when the Pharaoh left, Jonouchi turned to alcohol to drown his sorrows. He'd lost his best friend, and he didn't know how to handle it.
 
I'd tried reasoning with him. “Jonouchi, snap out of it, man! Yugi is your friend. The Pharaoh…he was just a part of Yugi.”
 
“Yeah, well I don't want a half a friend!” he snapped. “I want my whole friend!”
 
“There's nothing you can do, buddy. Yugi chose to end it this way.”
 
“The Yugi I know wouldn't have killed a friend!” he screamed. “Yugi would've found another way!!”
 
He spends most nights at the Domino City Bar, getting drunk and reminiscing…when he wakes up, he thinks it's all a dream and that Yami never left.
 
It's an endless cycle of drunken euphoria dashed by intermittent splices of stone-cold reality.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Thanks for your comments and constructive criticism.
 
Please continue to give me your input.